Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 09-27-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This was the first real test for the Pats defense, we played solid D against the Bills and Jets but I am very happy with today's performance. Your offense is the real deal, they just struggled today. Our offense has been pretty tough to watch as well.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The pats played bad, but the falcons played worse.

some key plays:

- Turner fumble
- Jenkins TD called back
- DeCoud 2 ints dropped

------------------------

Notes:

- Mike Peterson misses way to many tackles, goes for the big hit too much.

- Where did Turner go? He had the holes, he just can't get passed the second level of defense.

- What's up with those flags?

- We let up too many big plays on defense, but on offense we can't get any. We play too assertive, the more aggressive team won today.

- No pass rush, and no run defense. Bad combo.

------------------------

honorable mention:

Once again jamaal anderson looks pathetic. On that late hit flag he pushed brady from behind and fell right on his ass. But give him credit, he's the only one to lay a finger on brady the whole game. So game ball goes to Jamaal Anderson. You earned it buddy.

edit: The bye week couldn't come at a better time. Also dunagan text me next time for the tradition because i forgot.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 09-27-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:09 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im still speechless...cant even vent, **** better change.

And bos, for sure man, we need all the help we can get after this attempt at a performance.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:30 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Back to the big play element, is there a reason that we almost never blitz? It's quite obvious the front four isn't getting it done. And why was midget Grimes covering Moss at all yesterday? I can't think of a worse mismatch.

And I'd really like to know what's the deal with our down field passing. It's been non existent. Take some opportunities. We re-upped Roddy for a reason.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:44 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Back to the big play element, is there a reason that we almost never blitz? It's quite obvious the front four isn't getting it done. And why was midget Grimes covering Moss at all yesterday? I can't think of a worse mismatch.

And I'd really like to know what's the deal with our down field passing. It's been non existent. Take some opportunities. We re-upped Roddy for a reason.
Blitzing requires that you have faith in your CBs to hold up against their receivers. If we had CBs or safeties that could man up against receivers, we would have the luxury to blitz and still be okay in terms of coverage. We simply don't have the personnel to blitz often. If a team as talented as we are on defense blitzes, we most likely get burned on big plays (once/if the opponent picks up the blitz, what does he see on the field? Houston, Grimes, and Williams manned up? I will take my chances against that group everytime). A team like the Jets can blitz often because Revis and Rhodes are very capable players in the secondary that they trust.

And, like I said earlier, the downfield passing game comes off of a run game; our offense isn't good enough to consistently take shots downfield without a running threat yet. I think a huge reason why our offense was so quiet on Sunday was because of a brilliant gameplan by BB. Ryan simply couldn't find open guys and by the looks of it, there weren't too many of them. I think we need to live off the short and medium passing game until Turner and the run offense can get going again; I really hope they focus on this during the bye week. But you do bring up a good point. We need to get the ball to Roddy deep more often. It can keep defenses honest as well.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing is, we never blitzed, brady had all day, and his receivers were open all day. If you're not gonna blitz, then ******* cover someone. We know our linebackers suck against the pass, just blitz them then.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 09-28-2009, 12:58 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pats defense has carried them this season.
The fact that they're so young right now,means that the Pats will be contending for more years even as the offense slows down.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNixon View Post
Pats defense has carried them this season.
The fact that they're so young right now,means that the Pats will be contending for more years even as the offense slows down.
I don't know how much of it was the actual talent of the defense or the game plan of the genius that is Bill Belichick. Our offense overrides at least 25/31 NFL defenses in terms of talent and execution but only struggled against a young Patriots team because BB is able to game plan and hide weaknesses well. Remember when the Saints came to Atlanta last year and we shut down the top ranked offense in the league? In the 3rd quarter, Brees had about 150 passing yards (way less than usual), near a 50% rate, and 2 picks if I remember correctly. Brian Van Gorder and Mike Smith developed a game plan to shut down Brees and BB did the same to us. Despite that, I don't expect the rest of the teams on our schedule except a few (Jets, Eagles?, Giants) to give us as much trouble as the Patriots game did.

Maybe this tough loss was necessary as we headed into the bye week. We were a sloppy 2-0 team that became exposed in week 3 and I hope this drives the players for the next 2 weeks as we approach a harder than originally thought test in SF against the surging 49ers (who have won 7 of their last 10). Luckily for us, the Patriots loss was an AFC loss on the road; our critical home record stays unblemished and our record vs. AFC opponents isn't too important for playoffs.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
Old 09-28-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Blitzing requires that you have faith in your CBs to hold up against their receivers. If we had CBs or safeties that could man up against receivers, we would have the luxury to blitz and still be okay in terms of coverage. We simply don't have the personnel to blitz often. If a team as talented as we are on defense blitzes, we most likely get burned on big plays (once/if the opponent picks up the blitz, what does he see on the field? Houston, Grimes, and Williams manned up? I will take my chances against that group everytime). A team like the Jets can blitz often because Revis and Rhodes are very capable players in the secondary that they trust.

And, like I said earlier, the downfield passing game comes off of a run game; our offense isn't good enough to consistently take shots downfield without a running threat yet. I think a huge reason why our offense was so quiet on Sunday was because of a brilliant gameplan by BB. Ryan simply couldn't find open guys and by the looks of it, there weren't too many of them. I think we need to live off the short and medium passing game until Turner and the run offense can get going again; I really hope they focus on this during the bye week. But you do bring up a good point. We need to get the ball to Roddy deep more often. It can keep defenses honest as well.

I'd much rather see the QB make a big play while getting smacked in the mouth as opposed to making a big play with all day to pick apart the defense. Obviously we can't be crazy with blitzing, but we need to do something else besides rely on a front 4.

And the 2nd part is true. Turner really needs to get rolling, but I just want to know what the deal is with Roddy. Is he not getting open, or what? It would also help if Norwood could play without getting hurt. He's dynamite and will hopefully get more touches.

Smith said today that Norwood and Moore will be good to go against SF. I pray Willy Mo becomes that play maker we desperately need.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:02 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd much rather see the QB make a big play while getting smacked in the mouth as opposed to making a big play with all day to pick apart the defense. Obviously we can't be crazy with blitzing, but we need to do something else besides rely on a front 4.

And the 2nd part is true. Turner really needs to get rolling, but I just want to know what the deal is with Roddy. Is he not getting open, or what? It would also help if Norwood could play without getting hurt. He's dynamite and will hopefully get more touches.

Smith said today that Norwood and Moore will be good to go against SF. I pray Willy Mo becomes that play maker we desperately need.
Tom Brady didn't make big plays, though. His longest completion was 36 yards and averaged a measly 6.6 yards per attempt. If we blitzed, the longest play would have been an 80 yard bomb to Moss. I honestly thought that the defense didn't do a bad job against the pass. The front 4 was unable to hold up at the point of attack and get penetration however.

I am excited to see Norwood back; we need his explosive element in there and maybe he can get some sort of run game going because Turner doesn't seem like he will. I wonder how Moore does though. You think he will see some time at S during the game?

Old 09-28-2009, 08:36 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

The defense were horrible against the pass. Throw the stats out. Brady missed so many open receivers, it's crazy. When he threw it on the mark, they drop it. That's the way the game went, our pass defense got lucky all day.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
The defense were horrible against the pass. Throw the stats out. Brady missed so many open receivers, it's crazy. When he threw it on the mark, they drop it. That's the way the game went, our pass defense got lucky all day.
True, but the man in your sig had 2 dropped picks as well (great to see him have a good game). Our defense isn't really going to win games and containment is the best way to go. I thought the defense did a good job containing the Patriots offense. I felt as if we suffered more against the run than the pass...the Pats got an insane amount of push against our OL all the time.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Thomas DeCoud is the man.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 09-29-2009, 02:48 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
Thomas DeCoud is the man.
Yeah it is seeming like it. Its oddly eerie how good the 08 draft is looking already.

1. Ryan - On the verge of being a superstar.
1. Baker - Peppers vs. Eagles (wk 1): 5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 ff, 2 pd. Peppers vs. Falcons (wk 2): 2 tackles, 0 sacks.
2. Curtis Lofton: Despite a terrible loss, Lofton officially had 13 solo tackles and 6 assists and was one of the only players who showed up on defense.
3. Harry Douglas: Had a great camp and seemed like a breakout player in the slot until the injury.
3. Thomas DeCoud: Hasn't been flashy (yet), but as the enforcer of the bend don't break rule, the Falcons have yet to give up a passing play more than 40 yards...and we played Steve Smith and Randy Moss.
5. Robert James: wtf pick.
5. Kroy Biermann: Has had a 5, 1, 6 tackle game and has matched the career sack total of 8th overall pick, Jamaal Anderson in 1 game.

Wow. 5 solid starters from the draft class in the 2nd year. More than we could say for the McKay era.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Falcon<3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What happened to the Falcons on Sunday? I felt totally like the team didn't want to win, or maybe worse the coaches were scared to win.

The officiating was horrible, I know it's bad to blame the zebras, but man, that 15 yard penalty on Jamaal, the Pass Interference on Grimes, the PI on Jenkins, it was like, just killin us. The worst of all was having to challenge that incomplete pass, it wasn't even remotely close to a fumble, not at all...worst call of all time.

Tony G was getting killed, our OL wasn't keeping people out of gaps, Turner had no where to go, and when he did break off a 7 yard run on first down we just decided to throw it. Then we're down 6 and on 4th and 3 don't go for it? Then the next 2 times again don't go for a 4th and manageable situation? We don't have the kind of defense for that.

We took 1 shot down field, and it ended up being a touchdown, but being called back. We knew they were going to stop the run and stop TG, White and Jenkins should have had insane days, but we were afraid to call it that way. Offensive line looked bad, defensive line looked the worst I've ever seen it look, holding not being called on that big touchdown for the Pats that sealed the game...terrible.

This whole game just makes me sad, but then I realize, it was our first road game, and it really doesn't matter, we only need to win 2-3 road games this year to be a playoff team, just defend the dome, and steal 2-3 on the road and we're playoff bound.

Playing @ SF should be an easy win for us coming off the bye week and not having to deal with Mr. Gore, that's huge for us. We'll have to get the offense cranked up, but not many teams have the personnel to keep TG out of the game like the Pats did, and not many coaches can scheme like that either. I expect Turner to get rolling soon, and I expect the OL to step up and quit sucking in the run game.

Our defense really impressed me in the red zone, which is great, but at the same time, we got NO pressure, I mean Jamaal Anderson is the only one to touch the QB...seriously? That's bad. I don't think losing Peria had anything to do with it, we just sucked, played flat and without energy. I expect a big change in SF. Decoud dropped 2 INTs =/ that didn't help us either. Man, so many things went wrong in this game
Falcon<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still a little ticked off at the Jenkins PI call, that was the major turning point. We lost all momentum there, setting the tone for the remainder of the game. I think the bye week will be huge for us coming into the 49ers game, but I in know way feel like it's an "easy" win.

Mike Singletary will always have his team coming out strong and they have a hard hitting defense. Missing Frank Gore will be key, if we can neutralize Glen Coffee I think we'll be fine, a one-dimensional Shaun Hill should make it an easy offense to stop, who knows though with our lackluster defense. Seeing the way Jared Allen dominated Joe Staley I'm hoping John Abraham has a rebound weak.

I don't think it will be easy to get the run game going in this one, especially with Turner's recent struggles against a stout run stopping D. Matt Ryan will hopefully look good out there and I believe this is Roddy White's oppurtunity to finally break the 100-yard barrier once again.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:57 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also, props to Thomas DeCoud, who's looked much better than I suspected. He did drop two interceptions, but the fact that he was in position to knock them down in the first place shows that he's playing better than any of our other DBs. It should be interesting to see how we incorporate William Moore back into our defensive lineup, because he has the potential to be a stud.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:49 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I hope to see william moore next game. Erik Coleman hasn't done much so far, making a lot of mistakes and giving too much room. DeCoud and Moore could be a great duo for a long time.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 09-30-2009, 05:22 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I hope to see william moore next game. Erik Coleman hasn't done much so far, making a lot of mistakes and giving too much room. DeCoud and Moore could be a great duo for a long time.

If I'm not mistaken, Coleman moved to SS after a very solid year at FS last year.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:03 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Coleman moved to SS after a very solid year at FS last year.
So what are you trying to say? Whose the odd man out?

It's a tough situation with decoud playing well. Can't move coleman back but it's hard to keep him at SS.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 10-01-2009, 05:03 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
So what are you trying to say? Whose the odd man out?

It's a tough situation with decoud playing well. Can't move coleman back but it's hard to keep him at SS.

I'd like to see Willy Mo at SS and Coleman at FS.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Quote:
I'd like to see Willy Mo at SS and Coleman at FS.
I think DeCoud should have the FS spot locked for a couple of years. His range is terrific and exactly what we need at that spot. I think Coleman and Moore should alternate at SS for a bit and see what Moore is made of; he might be ready to start a full season by next year or the year after.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:35 PM    (permalink
Falcon<3
Rookie

Falcon<3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We can't bail on DeCoud, he's good, yeah he needs to get some better gloves or something, but hey that's fixable. I really was confused why we even drafted Moore, but hey they did it, so maybe they want him in for sub packages as a 3-3-5 OLB or something where we can use his speed on the blitz, or put him in coverage, it'll be interesting.
Falcon<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Thomas Dimitroff just wanted a 220+ safety.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 10-01-2009, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Im looking forward to seeing william moore and tye hill vs the 49ers.

Quote:
we all hate you