Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 11-03-2009, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Again, I'm not proud of losing a game we easily could have won. I just don't subscribe to that strategy.
Except you said we'd get beaten "badly" and you went the entire game saying the Falcons sucked and Matt Ryan is a **** sucker. We gave the best team in the league all they can handle and we will play them again in our stadium. I'm disappointed we didn't win either, but I don't think we "suck" and we played the Saints better than any other team has thus far.

Quote:
He threw 3 picks. That's pretty much the end of the story. It's not as if his receivers were popping the ball up in the air for the Saints defenders. He threw 3 interceptions and has now thrown an incredibly bad 7 picks in the last 3 games. He's got to get the blame at some point. He needs to step up and make better throws/decisions. He's obviously better than JaMarcus and I'm not comparing them, but it's pretty embarrassing that he's thrown 9 picks already like Russell has. Right now, he's playing like the player he was in college. Too many picks with average arm strength.
He is going through a natural growing pain type of year. Philip Rivers had the same problem in his 2nd year of starting, he looked rattled under pressure and threw too many interceptions; and he certainly does not have better physical tools than Matt Ryan does.

He has to play better for sure, I just don't think the 3 INT were accurately indicative of poor decision making or lack of talent. He will get it together soon. I think he misses Norwood in a screen/short passing attack game in recent weeks.

Quote:
If we play up to our coaching. That's a major if. Even still, this team has a ton of flaws. Our defense isn't good. They are fly to the ball, but we really don't have a pass rush and our secondary isn't any good. Our offensive line has been extremely shaky at times either in the run game or the passing game. Who knows if Turner is going to keep running hard, and Matt Ryan obviously isn't the very good QB we were expecting yet. I really cannot envision us being more than 9-7.
What team doesn't have flaws? We have four easy games ahead of us and five toss-up games. I would be shocked, absolutely stunned, if we lost all of those toss-up games and ended up 9-7. I don't think the Eagles, Giants (injured), Panthers, Jets or even Saints are better than us.

Last edited by Shiver : 11-03-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Except you said we'd get beaten "badly" and you went the entire game saying the Falcons sucked and Matt Ryan is a **** sucker. We gave the best team in the league all they can handle and we will play them again in our stadium. I'm disappointed we didn't win either, but I don't think we "suck" and we played the Saints better than any other team has thus far.
Granted, that stuff was purely reactionary.

He is going through a natural growing pain type of year. Philip Rivers had the same problem in his 2nd year of starting, he looked rattled under pressure and threw too many interceptions; and he certainly does not have better physical tools than Matt Ryan does.

He has to play better for sure, I just don't think the 3 INT were accurately indicative of poor decision making or lack of talent. He will get it together soon. I think he misses Norwood in a screen/short passing attack game in recent weeks.
Obviously this week his turnovers really hurt us, but he hasn't been good in a while. 4 of his last 5 starts haven't been good.

What team doesn't have flaws? We have four easy games ahead of us and five toss-up games. I would be shocked, absolutely stunned, if we lost all of those toss-up games and ended up 9-7. I don't think the Eagles, Giants (injured), Panthers, Jets or even Saints are better than us.
Every team has flaws, but we've got more than a few at this point. I don't think the Panthers are better then us, but I think they could easily take the game at home. Matt Ryan can't handle pressure at this point and the line has trouble with the 3-4 so I see the Jets game as a potential disaster. And I'd take the Eagles, Giants,(at least one of those two) and Saints over our team.

10 char...
Old 11-03-2009, 02:48 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish Harry Douglas didn't get hurt. He is the missing dimension in our offense at this point. Michael Jenkins can make amazing catches, and he made two big time plays late in the game, but he drops the easy passes.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

My confidence is Brent Grimes is up a little bit, he played pretty well. (by our standards) Chris Houston and Tye Hill on the other hand..

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. It was nice to see Grimes not absolutely handled against the Saints. Brees definitely tried to pick on him multiple times and he held his own.

Harry Douglas out of the slot (and during returns) would have been so great. The return of Jerry and Douglas, along with the draft class and FAs, will provide a good amount of boost to our offense and defense next year. Our schedule will probably get easier as well.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

This schedule has been brutal:

We beat Miami, San Francisco, Chicago and Carolina. All of those teams are solid at the least and all are in playoff contention.

We lost to New England, Dallas and New Orleans on the road. We face an amazing four teams coming off of bye weeks.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post
Harry Douglas out of the slot (and during returns) would have been so great. The return of Jerry and Douglas, along with the draft class and FAs, will provide a good amount of boost to our offense and defense next year. Our schedule will probably get easier as well.

Our schedule next year: NFC West (good) and AFC North (tough).

Old 11-04-2009, 05:17 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

The biggest difference in schedule is often the home/away draw.

For example, I'd rather play the Rams away and the Seahawks at home than the Seahawks away and the Rams at home.

The Saints will really benefit from that this year - e.g., playing the Bills away but the Patriots at home.

With one more good offseason, and better luck with injuries, we should be right in the SB mix. I just hope that the injuries to both Jerry and Douglas don't affect them too much next year as well...
Old 11-04-2009, 10:27 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I hope we pick on DeAngelo Hall all game long. Roddy White should be able to eat him alive.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DHall was great for Washington last season and has been good in coverage this season.

I don't expect to pick apart Washington in the air, especially considering the past weeks.

Turner on Hall, though, would be funny.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:23 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
DHall was great for Washington last season and has been good in coverage this season.

I don't expect to pick apart Washington in the air, especially considering the past weeks.

Turner on Hall, though, would be funny.
We are going to run all over the Skins. As you say, their pass D has not been terrible, but that's partly because teams have not had to pass. Also, just look at the passing games they've faced so far.

The Mora Falcons would lose this game, no doubt about it. Obvious trap game. We'd give up 200 yards to portis, and fumble three times. I just don't see that happening with the current coaching staff.

Hopefully we can relax and enjoy the weekend, because I know the team won't...
Old 11-05-2009, 04:33 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am so excited we finally have a FS of the future in Thomas DeCoud. He is projected to have the following stat line in his first year as a starter:

82 Tackles (69 solo), 2 TFL, 5 Sacks, 5 INT, 2 FF, 2 FR, 14 PD.

Not only is he putting up good stats, he is rated as the #12 safety according to Pro Football Focus.

Beast (damn Coleman).

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan

Last edited by d34ng3l021 : 11-05-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, that's Coleman.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Yuck, look at the ranks of our corners: Grimes is 61 and Houston is 81.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Yuck, look at the ranks of our corners: Grimes is 61 and Houston is 81.
I don't have a ton of faith in how great that site is, but yuck indeed. I remember people arguing with me saying that Houston is a top 20 corner.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

Not convinced by that site, but yes, DeCoud looks set to stick. Will be interesting to see what happens next year. If Moore pushes Coleman at SS, we may see Coleman move to NB.

And yes, our corners still suck. Hopefully TD can pick up C.Rogers in FA, or someone similar (shame that M.Jackson just tore his ACL, he'd have been a decent pickup too). We'll get a good look at Rogers this weekend...
Old 11-06-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Our defense really only needs a NT and a CB to be elite. I love the way we fly to the ball and create big plays, but on 3rd and short we fail and against big receivers we fail.

I would love to see Moore take over at SS. He is like Coleman, only better in every physical way. If he picks up the mental part of the game he and Decoud would be a great tandem for years to come.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

The biggest disappointment from Monday's game was Sam Baker. We all knew that Ryan is still uncomfortable under pressure, Jenkins drops easy passes, Houston has no ball awareness, etc. But Baker got completely manhandled all night by Will Smith and it made Ryan play too fast. If they give Ryan time he is smart enough to pick defenses apart, but these last two games the pass protection has not been there.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I really wanna see William Moore play. We got 6 people on the IR right now, including our top 2 picks, not good.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

We could see a Dahl-Haynesworth clash. Albert said on a radio show that he only gets dirty when people play past the whistle and will have no patience for Dahl and Clabo's tactics this game.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:39 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Wtf. As soon as the Giants game looked winnable, I have realized that they will be coming off of a bye when we face them in New York. Of ******* course. **** the schedule makers.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:25 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

I am re-watching the Saints game, and this team has potential to be dominant down the stretch if everything clicks. Some notes:

-Michael Turner looked like a completely different RB against the Saints than he has this whole year. It took a ton of Saints defenders to take him down and he gained quite a few yards after contact as he kept his legs churning. Not only was that long run where the Saints didn't realize they had yet to tackle Turner a 2nd effort, but there were many times where he gained an extra yard or two after the play seemed over. Also, he looked so much faster than he has this season; he was finally able to bounce those big gainers to the outside - the aspect of his game that makes him so dangerous. The Saints defense isn't too disciplined, so I don't see that many big runs against other teams, but in terms physicality and talent as a runner, the Burner showed his old self from 2008. The fact that Sedrick Ellis was out helped out the OL, but it helped isolate the problem - if the offensive line can get a good push on the DL, Turner will break loose.

-The defense didn't look half bad, especially if you factor in the changes they made from the first half to the second and who we were playing. The defense gave up 28 points to the Saints offense that was clicking throughout the game. Containing the run against a team who has such a brilliant QB is always a problem (see the Broncos and Saints (in NO) game last year), but despite some big plays, the Saints RBs averaged 4.3 yards per carry against our defense. Another improving aspect of the team was the coverage by our CBs. Yes, Brees and the passing game made plays, but our CBs were right there with their WRs. 30/32 NFL QBs don't make the throws that Brees made with that much accuracy on a consistent basis. Point of the matter is: our defense hung in with the best offense in the NFL at their home turf. Also, how about Brent Grimes making some plays? It was great to see Grimes getting more comfortable back there.

-Roddy White is a beast. His problems with drops are getting better and better, but outside of that, he brings the whole package. Not only does he have the speed to burn the defense deep (15.3 career YPC), but is really physical at the LOS and displays some strong hands. I had no idea who he was when we drafted him (didnt really follow the draft then) and was disappointed by him when he was wearing the bust label, but boy has he turned his career around - and he only seems to be getting better. After 2 straight 80+, 1200+ seasons, he now has 5 TDs in the last 4 games. Screw Tony G, we need to throw the ball more his way.

-Speaking of Tony G, I think Ryan is finally getting comfortable with his addition. I thought he may have been targeting him too much at the beginning of the season, but we seem to be on the way to finding the perfect balance for the passing offense.

-wtf Michael Jenkins. Dropped pass on 3rd down. Kicker shanks the FG. Saints drive down for TD. That's a possible 14 point net difference right there and a complete morale killer. I don't think we need to get rid of him because he complements White and Douglas, but he needs to play with more physicality and consistency. I had high hopes for Jenkins after a strong season last year, but it looks like he is back to his old self. He is quite the momentum killer btw: Dropped passes leading to pick 6es, killed drives, committing offensive PI. Hopefully he picks it up and finishes strong again.

-What happened Sam Baker? I hope this was a freak game for him because he got abused on Monday. He held his own against some good DEs before, so I am not worrying too much, but he is a huge reason Ryan was jittery the whole game.

-Matt Ryan gets a freebie for this game. He looked uncharacteristically rattled and it effected his game too much. However, this can be explained by facing an undefeated division rival at their home field and against a defense that likes to blitz 57% of the time.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Must win game today. It should be an easy victory against the Skins, but I'm always a bit nervous of teams with nothing to lose coming off a bye. Abe needs to start playing like his vintage self. I understand he's not getting 16.5 sacks again, but the man has to be in double digits at least. He's been playing banged up, but this OL is atrocious and he's a huge part of what we do.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

Does anyone have a video or radio link? Living in California sucks on Sundays.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Gonzo in the flat. Called it. Perfect.