Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

Old 01-18-2012, 10:26 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 View Post

Getting RG or DE would be nice, but retaining Grimes and Lofton is a must as well. Grimes especially...we have no CB depth. What do you think the FO should do?

Lock up Lofton, tag Abe(unless he's taking a reasonable 2 year deal) . If we're going to a more man heavy aggressive scheme, Grimes isn't worth the top 10 CB money he's going to command.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
Grimes isn't under contract with the Falcons. I could easily see them letting him walk
Should the Bucs sign him and convert him to receiver? He seems to have great chemistry with Josh Freeman.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Should the Bucs sign him and convert him to receiver? He seems to have great chemistry with Josh Freeman.
I lold. You might as well give him the #6 too.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:09 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Lock up Lofton, tag Abe(unless he's taking a reasonable 2 year deal) . If we're going to a more man heavy aggressive scheme, Grimes isn't worth the top 10 CB money he's going to command.
someone doesn't know what he is talking about. Grimes is excellent in man coverage.

Owner of ScarDraft
Atlanta Falcons and NFL Draft Featured Columnist for Bleacher Report
scar988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
someone doesn't know what he is talking about. Grimes is excellent in man coverage.

Because PFF says so everyone.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scar988 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Because PFF says so everyone.
ATLDB. I watch EVERY Falcons game. More than once. And honestly, I'm going based on what I saw. Grimes is very good in man coverage. Of his interceptions in 2010, 4 of the 5 were in man coverage, not zone... but let's not watch the actual games and make judgements... so, seriously, that's not how I do my analysis. But it doesn't hurt to get stats for pressures when you don't sit there and track them.

So in short, I know my stuff. Don't bash because I like to use raw data from PFF to help support my claims. again, notice raw data...

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

We'll see when we don't pay him because he doesn't fit our new scheme. I'm not saying he's terrible, he's a very good football player. He's going to be good regardless, but if you think he's a top 10 man cover corner in the league, you're just wrong.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM    (permalink
scar988
All-Pro

Quote:
We'll see when we don't pay him because he doesn't fit our new scheme. I'm not saying he's terrible, he's a very good football player. He's going to be good regardless, but if you think he's a top 10 man cover corner in the league, you're just wrong.
He's a top 5 corner in the NFL. period. We'll design the scheme to have what's best for him in it. If that's having 7 yd cushion for him and 1 yard for Dunta, We'll do that.

Owner of ScarDraft
Old 01-19-2012, 10:43 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to get bigger stronger and more physical corners and let Grimes go. I like him, but he gave up a lot too. He developed into a good corner, top 15 prolly, but not top 10 overall, too many holes in his game. Like, ya know, tackling.

He's insanely sticky and I love that about the guy, I don't think man coverage would hurt him one little bit. But I don't want to over spend for a guy who's as old as he is. He's no Champ Bailey and he's no Charles Woodson, so I'll let him go, he gave us his best years, and if we miss out on 1 or 2 more good ones, it's better than having him for the last 2 or 3 where he just won't be able to play because he's losing his key attribute that makes him so dominant.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering how much better Grimes is than the rest of our DBs, I think he deserves the big bucks. Although it's probably better for the team to let him walk since we're already paying one CB 60 mill.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:42 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Considering how much better Grimes is than the rest of our DBs, I think he deserves the big bucks. Although it's probably better for the team to let him walk since we're already paying one CB 60 mill.
He's that much better in that scheme, I don't think he's *that* much better than Robinson if both were forced to play press man all game every game. I think Robinson has a distinct advantage in that sort of scheme vs the soft zone 8 - 15 yards off the WR crap we used all the time. (Okay 15 is an exaggeration) But he's going to get good money no matter where he goes, there's little to no doubt about it.

I'd rather not spend that cap space on a CB that is coming off a knee injury though. I'd rather not spend it on a CB that's headed to the wrong side of 30, and I'd rather not spend it on a CB that isn't a physical imposing presence.

We've already committed big money to Robinson, so I don't think he's going anywhere, we need another corner to match his style so we can play an actual coverage scheme that works well with both our LCB and RCB in conjunction instead of telegraphing coverage, and making things that much easier.

Now, if we were to have both corners in a situation where we have to pick one or the other and both were out of contract and both were due similar paydays and we were going to pick 1 guy to ride with, I'd pick Grimes and find another corner with a similar skillset for the opposite side. But the business side of things makes me pick Robinson cause he's locked up and he'll allow the defense to run a different look than Grimes would. Not better, not worse, just different.

If we can get Mario Williams in here, I'd much rather spend the money on him, and let Abe and Grimes go, then go and make a push for Nicks or Grubbs and I'd be a happy happy man. Get that RG spot locked down, then also look into Gaither as a prospect at the LT position. That would turn our offensive line into a massive group that would extend Turner's usefulness as he wouldn't be having to change direction as much, we'd be able to enforce our will more with those bigguns up front. But to land those 3 is going to take a lot of cash and some sacrifice. By not bringing Grimes and Abe back we could possibly make it happen, I don't want to see Abe elsewhere, but giving up Grimes and Abe for Grubbs/Nicks, Williams, and Gaither would be well worth it for me.

Sometimes I think it's not about the players, as it is just getting a fresh new feel around the locker room, and getting players into some new places. Stealing Nicks from the Stains would be a double upgrade to me, and I'd love it. Only problem is in FA Abe could go to Carolina and team up with "Big Meany" and that'd really hurt us too.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:44 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scar988 View Post
He's a top 5 corner in the NFL. period. We'll design the scheme to have what's best for him in it. If that's having 7 yd cushion for him and 1 yard for Dunta, We'll do that.
Revis, Champ, Woodson, Aso, Asante, Joseph, Tramon, Tillman...just to name a few.

Top 10? Possibly but def not top 5
Old 01-21-2012, 08:46 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Niner fan here just wanted give my two cents on Nolan. I think he'll be a great DC for you once you can convert to a 3-4 full time. I've never really been sold on Nolan as a good 4-3 DC. I read somewhere where he said he would run a 4-3 with you guys based on personel you currently have. It might get worst before it gets better. When Nolan was the HC for us he tried to run a hybrid and it was a disaster. It is extremely difficult to find personel that can fit both schemes. And then have said personel transition from each seamlessly, week to week, play to play. It wasn't until he was fired and Singletary went to a 3-4 full time that our defense finally started to show signs of life. Players started to play faster once the scheme was simplified and player's roles were more defined. One thing I will say about Nolan is he can defintely spot talent. If Smith gives him some say on the players brought in on defense, things could turnaround rather quickly. Always thought he make one helluva of a GM/Player Personel guy if he decided to give up the X's and O's.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we will eventually switch to a base 3-4 once we have time to bring in guys who can fit the scheme.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I think we will eventually switch to a base 3-4 once we have time to bring in guys who can fit the scheme.
I hope so, just these championship games alone 3 of 4 teams run the 3-4. Also the better defenses like Denver, Pitt, Jets.

All of which have done well on that side of the ball. Personally I just like the playstyle of it more, always can bring a rusher from the edge and mix it up alot.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I've decided we need to throw a lot of money at LaRon Landry.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think if we move Moore to FS and bring in Landry to play SS that would be a killer combo.

I honestly don't think DeCoud will lose his job just yet, he is one of Smith's favorite players. He also happens to be one of my favorite player no matter how much hate he gets.

Quote:
we all hate you

Last edited by Bosanac01 : 01-22-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:22 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I think if we move Moore to FS and bring in Landry to play SS that would be a killer combo.

I honestly don't think DeCoud will lose his job just yet, he is one of Smith's favorite players. He also happens to be one of my favorite player no matter how much hate he gets.

He's gone homie. One of our weakest links and he's a FA so he won't be costing pennies anymore.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:

Not one of Smith's favorites I can put money on that, the dude is like SMH every time Decoud does his celebrations, or whiffs on an easy tackle, or completely takes a shallow angle trying to make a play and just totally missing.

Here's to hoping he's gone, He showed promise, and that's gone now. He hit his highlight of his career in year 2 and regressed from there. 2 consecutive piss poor years should easily be a ticket out of town despite leading the team in interceptions, he's not a playmaker.

Landry + Moore would be absolutely nasty, but we're going to need a quality 3rd stringer to play when one of them is nicked up.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

i enjoy his energy on the field but he's a liability on defense.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:28 PM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

If Decoud took a ST role, and the 3rd safty spot (might be needed with a new coordinator) I wouldnt mind, but he isnt worth a big contract at all, but a solid backup/ST imo.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our DB coach was fired. Probably good news.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Word is Mario Williams is going to be a FA. One guy I honestly believe we should throw the bank at.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunagan15 View Post
If Decoud took a ST role, and the 3rd safty spot (might be needed with a new coordinator) I wouldnt mind, but he isnt worth a big contract at all, but a solid backup/ST imo.
I'd be totally okay with this scenario. I just doubt he could swallow his pride and accept that, and there are enough really bad teams out there that Decoud could actually be an upgrade on some teams as a starter.

As far as Mario Williams is concerned, I'm not even considering that, I would love it personally, but if we're really going to move towards a 3-4 I wouldn't want to waste his supreme 4-3 DE skillset standing him up like Houston did. So, I guess if we go for him then we're locking in to the 4-3 and going to roll with it. I have no problem with that either, as long as Nolan is as good with the 4-3 as he is with the 3-4.

It's got the potential to be a massively exciting offseason. If we have to put Abe out to pasture, then we'd better be 130% in on Williams and make sure he lands in ATL.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post
I'd be totally okay with this scenario. I just doubt he could swallow his pride and accept that, and there are enough really bad teams out there that Decoud could actually be an upgrade on some teams as a starter.

As far as Mario Williams is concerned, I'm not even considering that, I would love it personally, but if we're really going to move towards a 3-4 I wouldn't want to waste his supreme 4-3 DE skillset standing him up like Houston did. So, I guess if we go for him then we're locking in to the 4-3 and going to roll with it. I have no problem with that either, as long as Nolan is as good with the 4-3 as he is with the 3-4.

It's got the potential to be a massively exciting offseason. If we have to put Abe out to pasture, then we'd better be 130% in on Williams and make sure he lands in ATL.
Im pretty sure mario had 4 sacks in 4 games this season as a OLB.. hes so talented that he could be a beast as a DE or OLB

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote