Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Parcells treats people the same as Landry treated people, the same as Shula treated people, the same as Chuck Knoll treated people.

Watch any of the 'America's Game' series that NFL has been running all offseason. Watch how Landry treated players. Watch how Jimmy Johnson treated players. Watch how Jimmy Johnson used the media to 'OUT' players and Jerry Jones. Watch how Jimmy Johnson was going to quit after the 93 season because 'he wanted to do something different' ((These are in his own words in the America's game '93 Cowboys addition)).

How does BP treat the media poorly? He's much better with the media than Bill Belichik.

The bottom line is that BP is a genius when he wins and a goat when he doesn't. So, the common denomenator is his attitude. Since that's the same in either instance, it can't be the reason he's a genius or goat because it hasn't changed. The difference is the Winning. So......in conclusion he's a great coach when he wins and if he doesn't he's not. Must be the Winning that is the difference.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We all know I have a bias towards BP, so I'll stay out of this convo.

I will say this however, because it upsets me whenever someone brings it up.

The 1990 New York Giants.

BP was lucky? How so? Because they missed a field goal? Maybe they were lucky that our QB AND starting RB got injured, and they got the oppurtunity to face us in the SB with a backup qb and 40 year old RB? How come no one ever remembers that?

We beat the 49ers in the NFC championship game 15-13. We lost to them during the season 7-3. That was the same exact team as the 89 49ers, player for player. The 89 49ers are the best offense ever imo. We held them to 7 points, and 13 points in our two meetings with them the following year. Not too shabby.

And like I said, everyone forgets that we did this with our BACKUP QB and RB. And no, that backup wasn't named Tom Brady. It was Jeff Hosteddler.

JEFF HOSTEDDLER. He won a freakin SB with Jeff Hosteddler. And a RB who ran probably a 5.5 40 that year.

If we had Simms and Hampton for the season, it wouldn't even be close. We wouldve destroyed the Bills. So everytime a Bills fan complains, I don't want to hear it. They had every oppurtunity to beat us. We were by no means, 100%, yet they still lost. So we didn't get lucky at all. Who knows, if we were healthy, maybe that team would be viewed a little differently historically because they wouldve been alot more dominant that year with Simms and Hampton.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I simply think that the 90 NYG team may be the best coaching example in the modern era. Now, some of that is Bill Sr. and some is Bill Jr (some is even Tom Coughlin).

But, the bills won their two games prior to the super bowl in the playoffs by scoring over 90pts in two games. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The Giants beat them with a back up QB, Back up RB and set a record for time of possession in a Super Bowl.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:17 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUALUM99 View Post
Parcells treats people the same as Landry treated people, the same as Shula treated people, the same as Chuck Knoll treated people.
I haven't read much on Shula or Knoll, but I would strongly disagree with Landry. Landry could be tough at times like all coaches, but don't even compare Parcells as a man to Landry. Parcells fails miserably in that comparison.

Quote:
How does BP treat the media poorly? He's much better with the media than Bill Belichik.
Belichik is a jerk, too. Coinscidence?

Quote:
The bottom line is that BP is a genius when he wins and a goat when he doesn't. So, the common denomenator is his attitude. Since that's the same in either instance, it can't be the reason he's a genius or goat because it hasn't changed. The difference is the Winning. So......in conclusion he's a great coach when he wins and if he doesn't he's not. Must be the Winning that is the difference.
I would never attach the word genius to any football coach.

Look, Parcells has had some great moments as a coach. I never said he was a total bum as a coach. I just think some in the football world and media bow a little too quickly to the Parcells altar.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Only thing I care to reply on there is:

1. 6-10 in year 2 is overachieving when you have Quincy Carter's sudden dismissal, Vinny Testaverde as your starting QB, Julius Jones late season appearance, Terry Glenn going down for the season, only half your DL is NFL caliber, old LBs, and a secondary of Pete Hunter, Lynn Scott, Tony Dixon and Lance Frazier.
But wasn't this basically the same team that went 10-6, but with an upgrade at QB? I would argue 6-10 is about where they should have been. Probably where they should have been the year before, also.

Quote:
2. Year 4 - If not for Tony Romo coming to the rescue our season wasn't looking good under Bledsoe. What Parcells did by benching Drew was something that a lot of people didn't want, including myself. I thought it was giving up on the season. We really started clicking until Ellis went down. But overall, I think we overachieved considering we dumped our starting QB... and usually teams don't fare well with new QBs stepping in.
There's no question the Romo move took guts.

I also agree the Ellis thing hurt, but every team has that. The Eagles lost their best pass rusher last year. With the talent they had on defense, there is no excuse for their late season failure. The team lacked any heart and passion. There is no excuse to get drilled by NO & Philly at HOME with so much on the line. Losing is one thing, but they weren't even competitive.

Quote:
3. I'm sorry.
No prob. I don't mind the back and forth. We can all learn something from each other. It's when it get personal that it's counterproductive.
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:45 AM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

MacArthur,

I strongly encourage you to watch the America's Game series. They have several for the cowboys of the 70's. Charlie Waters, Hollywood Henderson, Drew Pearson and Tony Dorsett. They all take about Landry. If you don't think Landry was like BP then you haven't really read anything about him. Landry was possibly one of the biggest A-Holes in coaching. But, that does not mean he wasn't a great coach. He's one of the best of all time. In fact, I'd argue that it's what made him that way.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Old 03-03-2007, 01:17 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
But wasn't this basically the same team that went 10-6, but with an upgrade at QB? I would argue 6-10 is about where they should have been. Probably where they should have been the year before, also.

There's no question the Romo move took guts.

I also agree the Ellis thing hurt, but every team has that. The Eagles lost their best pass rusher last year. With the talent they had on defense, there is no excuse for their late season failure. The team lacked any heart and passion. There is no excuse to get drilled by NO & Philly at HOME with so much on the line. Losing is one thing, but they weren't even competitive.

No prob. I don't mind the back and forth. We can all learn something from each other. It's when it get personal that it's counterproductive.
How can you say his team in Year 2 was the same as Year 1? He had one year invested in Carter and he should've taken a step forward in Year 2. Don't forget Vinny was brought in as a BACKUP.... Quincy's dismissal was a sudden preseason incident that we had no preparation for in FA or the Draft. As bad as Hambrick was in Year 1, Eddie George was even worse. Joey Galloway was another adjustment... On D, as disappointing as Ebenezer Ekuban and Willie Blade were on the DL, Marcellus Wiley and Leonardo Carson were worse... same for Mario Edwards... The revolving door of Pete Hunter and Lance Frazier was a significant downgrade... our LBs were a year older... and let's not be so quick to forget Mr. Darren freakin' Woodson. Without him our defense was nothing like it used to be.

So you say, wasn't it the same roster? I say... No. Emphatically.

That team winning 6 games is a damn miracle.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote