Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 08-24-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Seahawks 2008-2009 Discussion Thread

New season, new thread. Post all our season related minor news and commentary/impressions here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Burleson went down with a knee injury, we'll have to see how serious it is, he won't be returning to the Buffalo game. We can't afford to have things like that happen to our already depleted WR core.

Morris is also out with a knee injury and unlikely to return, again, we'll have to see the seriousness of it, but if Holmgren makes Duckett his feature back (should Jones go down as well) then there is something seriously wrong...
summond822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 07:39 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Update on Burleson...he's out for the season...Torn ACL

Morris is out for two weeks with a sprained knee. Jones is going to be the starter this week.

The ramifications of this are huge, the Seahawks had enough faith in their young WR's this last week to throw 41 times. They only ran 21. The o-line is going to have to make huge steps forwards from thier unimpressive showing in order to give this team a legitamite shot to run the ball and win the game. I think that it has become very apparent with how bad the young WR's, and especially Taylor, played, that throwing the ball 40 times a game is out of the question. Any WR that they bring in to fill in for Burleson is not going to have an impact in this weeks game, maybe they need to make a run at Anquan Boldin or Torry Holt. Getting them from division rivals may be hard, but they are probably the best and I have tremendous respect for both of them.

They said that they may sign a veteran WR, got any idea who they are going to target?

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe Horn perhaps? I have no idea what will happen, but I rule out Boldin and Holt because they are in conference, and that will hurt the negotiations.

Quote:
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I wasn't sure if Horn had signed with another team or not, so I didn't mention his name, but he was the one who immediately came to mind.

I know that Boldin and Holt are pipe dreams, but they are not in the best of circumstances and might want to be given the chance to play on a team that should make the playoffs this year barring anymore serious injuries.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:54 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

What about Terry Glenn? Is he signed anywhere?

Quote:

Old 09-09-2008, 09:33 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I guess that he isn't either. I heard about another one, but I can't remember his name. Another possibility is to bring Gilmore back, but I don't think that it would be wise considering how he dropped that one pass in the endzone.

Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

One pass does not define one's career. We are in DefCon 5 right now looking for recievers. We signed someone today, but meh, I'm not so sure he'll contribute.

Quote:

Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I know it doesn't, but it ended his shots at making the team in the preseason.

I just found out that the Seahawks cut three players, and I can't believe how idiotic this move seems to be.

We cut Plackemeir, Forsett, and Kent...

Plackemeir I understand, he punted really crappy this last week in Buffalo and shanked a couple of punts, inexcusable for a punter at this level...

Forsett, I don't understand, he performed well during the offseason and was the only other guy that they had experience returning punts with. If Holmgren puts Wallace back there and risks injuring him he's asking for this season to go to the toliet, because even thought I love Hasslebeck, he is always playing hurt, and it only takes one hit to end his season. Look at Brady.

Kent...I do not understand this at all. You cut a guy who performed well in the preseason and did more than Payne or Taylor, and I felt earned a shot at a starting job. He will most likely not clear waivers and will be picked up by another team IMO. There were only three healthy WR's on the team and he was one of them, why cut him when you have a guy like Coutu just sitting on the sidelines doing nothing. This is a stupid and ridiculous move that isn't going to help our already hurting receiving core. What the hell are they thinking...

The guy we signed today was a punter, I didn't see any listings of a receiver being added...I'll keep looking and come back if I find something.

Old 09-09-2008, 10:29 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I found a list of WR's that the Seahawks worked out, Glenn and Horn aren't on it. Here's the list with their most recent jobs:

Mark Bradford, Cowboys, 6'2, 205, Rookie out of Stanford (took me forever to even find this...)

Devale Ellis, Lions, 5'11, 170, 1 year (playing), Last Action - 2006
9 G, 4 rec, 41 yds, 6 KR, 139 yds, 4 PR, 61 yds

Mike Hass, Bears, 6'1, 208, No Action, Drafted: 6th round 2006

Billy McMullen, Redskins, 6'4, 215, 4 years (playing), Last Action - 2006
45 G, 45 rec, 601 yds, 3 TDs

Samie Parker, Panthers, 5'11, 185, 4 years, Last Action - 2007
47 G, 110 rec, 1529 yds, 7 TDs
Last year: 15 G, 24 rec, 298 yds, 2 TDs

Kinda confused why they aren't going after Glenn or Horn. Questionable management decision from my point of view...

Looking over their stats only Parker and McMullen seem worthy of signing, and I don't even think that they are worth it...

Last edited by summond822 : 09-09-2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: stats
Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Update: The Seahawks are going to sign McMullen today according to a report I found on Yahoo! sports.

An interesting read was the piece by the Tacoma News Tribune, it says that they should line up Josh Wilson outside and have him take off downfield. Just let Hasslebeck throw him the ball. Interesting theory but I doubt that they will do it.

Also, since McMullen has no experience returning punts, and Forsett is gone, that leaves Seneca Wallace as the only other player with experience returning punts and he is also their potential 4th WR.

Not good news that he is gonna be back there with the chance to get injured...I still am not comfortable with Frye as Hasslebeck's backup and until they start protecting Hasslebeck better I think it's too dangerous to be risking Wallace.

Also, Rob Sims is likely done for the season with a torn pectoral muscle. This leaves Womack starting and Wrotto backing him up.

Updates:

ESPN is reporting that the Seahawks have signed Samie Parker, but I didn't find a mention of it on KFFL.

KFFL reported that Bumpus could be called up from the practice squad, which doesn't make sense to me, because if you going to cut Kent, a more experienced WR in your system, why would you promote a rookie...

There is also talk on KFFL that Coutu could get cut.

Last edited by summond822 : 09-10-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: more information
Old 09-11-2008, 10:51 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Who is running our team?

Quote:

Old 09-12-2008, 11:42 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
Who is running our team?
I don't know anymore...

Old 09-12-2008, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default When it comes to offense, Ruskell is an idiot.

The guy can draft for defense, he deserves credit for that even though I still don't like drafting Lawrence Jackson in the first round. Really liked the pick of Red Bryant, and I loved the pick of Brandon Mebane last year as I was huge on Mebane. Signing Deon Grant and Russell was big for the team. And there's more examples. Ruskell does a very good if not great job when it comes to the defense.

But when it comes to talent acquisition on the offensive side of the ball, he's terrible. Pro Football Prospectus constructed a list of the best Ruskell-era offensive players acquired, with their results included, and oh brother was it was ugly. And it just got worse imo.

Maybe Forsett wasn't a perfect fit for the Seahawks offense, I don't know, but Ruskell compounded upon his terrible signing of TJ Duckett by keeping him and letting Forsett go. He should have recognized that Julius Jones basically sucks unless you use the guy on draw plays. And why even cut Forsett now, with Maurice Morris out for a month or so? Especially when they are two kickers on the roster? Yeah, I don't get it.

I also think Leonard Weaver should get the ball more, that kid can ball, but that's probably more on Holmgren. I'm sure he'll consider it the next few weeks, when his only other options are Jones and Duckett.

Btw, Duckett is as good as gone after this year. He was paid too much of a signing bonus for the Hawks to bite the bullet, but after this season, he can say farewell. Unless Jim Mora really wants to keep sticking up for him, after falling flat on his face the first time.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:13 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
The guy can draft for defense, he deserves credit for that even though I still don't like drafting Lawrence Jackson in the first round. Really liked the pick of Red Bryant, and I loved the pick of Brandon Mebane last year as I was huge on Mebane. Signing Deon Grant and Russell was big for the team. And there's more examples. Ruskell does a very good if not great job when it comes to the defense.

But when it comes to talent acquisition on the offensive side of the ball, he's terrible. Pro Football Prospectus constructed a list of the best Ruskell-era offensive players acquired, with their results included, and oh brother was it was ugly. And it just got worse imo.

Maybe Forsett wasn't a perfect fit for the Seahawks offense, I don't know, but Ruskell compounded upon his terrible signing of TJ Duckett by keeping him and letting Forsett go. He should have recognized that Julius Jones basically sucks unless you use the guy on draw plays. And why even cut Forsett now, with Maurice Morris out for a month or so? Especially when they are two kickers on the roster? Yeah, I don't get it.

I also think Leonard Weaver should get the ball more, that kid can ball, but that's probably more on Holmgren. I'm sure he'll consider it the next few weeks, when his only other options are Jones and Duckett.

Btw, Duckett is as good as gone after this year. He was paid too much of a signing bonus for the Hawks to bite the bullet, but after this season, he can say farewell. Unless Jim Mora really wants to keep sticking up for him, after falling flat on his face the first time.
I agree with all of your points. Defensively he has brought in some great talent through the draft in Tatupu, Hill, and Tapp. The free agent signings on the defensive side of the ball have generally panned out and Peterson, Kerney, Grant, and Russell have all been huge additions.

In a different thread I mentioned how Ruskell always goes with the safe pick on offense. Spencer, Carlson in the early rounds. He generally waits until the 3rd or 4th round before he starts drafting offensive players and usually its O-linemen. I didn't understand not going after a WR in the draft or FA, being as how every single one of the WR's they were trying out were drafted in the 6th round at earliest.

Weaver is the best RB on our team. He's also the most complete back we have on our team. He's not afraid to block, he can receive well, and when he runs it is impressive the results that he comes up with. He is beyond a shadow of a doubt my favorite back on the team. Morris and Jones are the same back, and neither deserves to start in the league IMO. Duckett looks like Shaun Alexander back there, trying to dance and not just go in and hit the hole. Only he's slower than Shaun was even when Shaun was hurt the last two seasons. Owen Schmitt doesn't hold a candle to Weaver in terms of athletisicm.

I wanted Duckett gone this year and thought that they should have kept Forsett. I personally think that Forsett would have been a better RB than Jones or Morris. He's not afraid of contact and is quite effective running the ball. Now he's in Indianapolis, and I wish him the best.

The biggest problem with Ruskell is that he has complete control of the team on draft day, so if Holmgren wanted a TE that could stretch the field, he may get to put in his two cents, but Ruskell ultimately makes the decision. I don't argue with his drafting philosophy of trading down and taking linemen, but at some point you have to be aggresive and go get a player that can help your team immediately. There were plenty of oppurtunities to draft a WR in the second or third round, but he passed on them. I dunno, I think we're just doing the natural thing for fans and when things go bad we immediately question the decisions.

Last edited by summond822 : 09-12-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know what, I like the Carlson pick. You don't want to be left depending on a rookie at any position, but he will very likely turn into a very good player and I think he'll show some of it short-term too because of his smarts.

His hands can't be any worse than Putzier, in any case.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by summond822 View Post
In a different thread I mentioned how Ruskell always goes with the safe pick on offense. Spencer, Carlson in the early rounds. He generally waits until the 3rd or 4th round before he starts drafting offensive players and usually its O-linemen. I didn't understand not going after a WR in the draft or FA, being as how every single one of the WR's they were trying out were drafted in the 6th round at earliest.
What hurts is that, when they did try to get top-notch guys, they missed and the team is still suffering for it. Chris Spencer was a first round pick, hasn't lived up to it. Deion Branch, not only the cost of a 1st round pick but a big free agent contract, hasn't lived up to it. They signed a few guys and drafted some lineman in the 4th round, as you say, and they haven't panned out. How Mike Wahle will work out, we'll see this season and beyond.

If Courtney Taylor can get the drops out of his system, I think he can be a good player though. And Good Ole' Reliable Bobby E should hopefully be back after the Week 4 bye, at least. The Hawks need their defense to win the next two homes games against San Fran and St. Louis, and they've usually done that the last two or three years.

Seahawks could have a great wide receiver, runningback, and/or offensive lineman prospect reach their pick for '09 though.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
You know what, I like the Carlson pick. You don't want to be left depending on a rookie at any position, but he will very likely turn into a very good player and I think he'll show some of it short-term too because of his smarts.

His hands can't be any worse than Putzier, in any case.
I'm starting to like Carlson more, after seeing his performance in the game, but what I meant by that is that instead of going for a TE that could possibly be a big play threat they went after the consensus all-around best TE. It may fit the offense the best, but I was kinda hoping for a TE like Keller or Davis who had the possibility to be a deep threat out of that position. I don't really think Carlson is going to be a deep-threat, he seems more like the kind of reliable receiving TE that this offense has been lacking recently. He should be a good target in the red zone as well.

Quote:
Seahawks could have a great wide receiver, runningback, and/or offensive lineman prospect reach their pick for '09 though.
I sure hope so. I also hope that they at least make a run in the playoffs since this is Holmgren's last year with the team.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:45 AM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Just found out that the Seahawks are about to resign Korean Robinson. I actually like this move. It brings Robinson back to Seattle and since he has appearently turned his life around, it seems like a good idea.

He was one of Hasselbeck's favorite targets, but the one thing I remember about him is he has a penchant to make the big highlight reel catch but will sometimes drop the routine ones. I think it has to do with concentration. He could be a good acquisition.

They are starting to talk about trading for a WR who has been in the system. Yahoo mentioned Darrell Jackson, Jeremy Urbane, and D.J. Hackett. I don't think they will go after Jackson or Hackett. I kinda wonder what other WR's are out there on the trade market besides Boldin...and we all know Arizona won't trade him to Seattle unless it's for a ridiculously good package in their favor.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I agree, that is a very good move, assuming he's still in football shape. In a desperate situation like this, he's one of the best options to sign. Joe Horn is still out there, but maybe he doesn't have the legs for the game anymore.

(I read something that indictated Holmgren wanted to bring Robinson in last week, but Ruskell opposed the idea. Oh brother, thankfully the offensive football mind won out.)

Only two more weeks until The Main Man can hopefully be healthy enough to play. One of most underrated receivers in the league, Bobby "Old Reliable" Engram. Better than Torry Holt, as I declared this summer. :p
Old 09-16-2008, 10:42 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His knee is toast.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There has been a trade between the Seahawks and Broncos with the 'Hawks receiving WR Keary Colbert in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:53 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I know that the draft pick is a late rounder. Colbert could be a good pick up. It is going to be interesting to see who they cut. I hope it is Coutu since there is no use in keeping around a kicker who is just going to be sitting on the bench. If they like him enough to keep him around they should sign him to the practice squad.

This has been a ridiculously bad year for the Seahawks WR's...I think we're on our 10th and 11th guys (Robinson and Colbert)

Old 09-16-2008, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Schefter said that it was a conditional 5th round pick, but that hasn't been confirmed yet. Might be too much for the Seahawks to give up imo, so let's wait and see.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

I like how we finally realized we needed to bring in WRs to have a shot at winning the next couple games until Branch is back and hopefully Engram returns.

Quote: