Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:48 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dude can't hit the broadside of a barn anymore, that elbow has had it. Stick a fork in him.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Dude can't hit the broadside of a barn anymore, that elbow has had it. Stick a fork in him.
He could if he was trying to throw over it.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Ahhh but FE you know we have to put that into context, the Bengals got their ass blown out before the game even started good. It was 24-3 at halftime and Carson's stats were pretty bad at that point. For the next 2 quarters all you had was Cincy running no huddle and throwing 90% of the time, and the Pats in prevent defense 70% of the time.
True, but that does a disservice to what was a damn good game by the Patriots D.

Quote:
I think once the team, OC, Marvin Lewis, or a combination of all of them figure out that Bernard Scott is really good and deserves more touches, it'll make the offense as a whole look alot better.
This hits my contention in another discussion. At some point the coaching has to be blown the **** up.

Quote:
I think Carson is in that 13-18 range of QB's right now for me, if he finishes this year strong he'll be closer to fringe top 10 then he would the 20's.
Which is to say he's a good QB. Certainly not elite, not even great, but good. Simmons quote is "can we finally give up the whole "Carson Palmer is a good quarterback" thing?" By quoting him, I assume this is the same way Soybean feels, and I disagree.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
and if they dont...?
Then there'll be 5 more pages about what's wrong with Palmer. Hey they scored 24 points against New England, until Carson starts playing defense i wouldnt blame him for everything.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post

Which is to say he's a good QB. Certainly not elite, not even great, but good. Simmons quote is "can we finally give up the whole "Carson Palmer is a good quarterback" thing?" By quoting him, I assume this is the same way Soybean feels, and I disagree.

There are 32 starting QB's in the NFL, the 16 point would be average. Good is top 10, elite is top 3. I think Carson Palmer is a solid, average QB, which IMO would be slotted right in that range of 13-18 depending on how this season plays out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I don't want to start a huge fight because despite being a Bengals fan, I don't rank Palmer that high as a QB. But I don't see any injury effecting physically. He's not "afraid to step up" or "always over throwing his passes". He simply doesn't make the greatest of decisions out there. Sunday he threw 5-6 passes where he wasn't even on the same page as his receiver (a majority of which were Chad I believe, and that has been happening since 2007).

It was the first game of the season. Last year we lost the broncos and I remember a Packers fan predicting the Bengals to go 0-6 after week 1. Let's wait a few weeks before start all the thread necromancy and go nuts over Palmer's terrible game.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I remember when people tried to argue that he was better than Brees.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Then there'll be 5 more pages about what's wrong with Palmer. Hey they scored 24 points against New England, until Carson starts playing defense i wouldnt blame him for everything.
Garbage points

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:51 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
I remember when people tried to argue that he was better than Brees.
Thats because there was a point when he could of been better then Brees. He was the prototype for NFL QB's coming out, and up until the knee injury in the playoffs which has been discussed to death, he was on track to becoming one of the best QBs in the NFL. Make no mistake, there was most definitely a time when Carson Palmer and Drew Brees belonged in the same discussion as far as QB's go. Clearly that has changed, but it doesnt negate the fact that there was a time where that was relevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It starts with the OL. Palmer stayed in the pocket and was closed in on almost every pass play. It seems to me that the Bengals OL is good at run blocking but not at pass blocking. At least, thats the way it looked to me while watching the game.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Thats because there was a point when he could of been better then Brees. He was the prototype for NFL QB's coming out, and up until the knee injury in the playoffs which has been discussed to death, he was on track to becoming one of the best QBs in the NFL. Make no mistake, there was most definitely a time when Carson Palmer and Drew Brees belonged in the same discussion as far as QB's go. Clearly that has changed, but it doesnt negate the fact that there was a time where that was relevant.
That's correct. Good valid points, and that illustrates the fact that things change.
Favre was left for dead, was over the hill, should retire, and then he had last year.

Kurt Warner was done in St Louis, went to the NYG, and was thrown out the door there too.

Then he resurfaces in Arizona and puts on a few Hall of Fame years.

Brees was done in San Diego too when he injured his shoulder.

Two years ago, Cutler was on the fast track in Denver to superstardom.
Now what? He's up & down, and not mentioned with the Rivers and Rodgers and Romo's.

This s*** isn't in stone in the NFL.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:45 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's ridic to write off this season after one game.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:02 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
It's ridic to write off this season after one game.
I concur, totally Riddic.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:20 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know everyone wants to believe that Palmer only started clicking last week because it was "garbage time," but Belichick and Bratkowski (Bengals OC) have both stated that the Patriots defense did not let up until there were three minutes left on the game clock.

And anyone claiming that they were garbage time points/yards is clearly just basing this off the fact that we were down so much. The Pats were sending the same types of blitz packages and there was no visible cushion in coverage.

Think what you want, he had a horrible half, but he stepped it up in the second half. Hopefully that carries over. Carson has all the intangibles and has no lack of confidence or weapons. The only thing working against him at this point is his o-line, but if the 2nd half of last week is any indication, our no huddle offense can move down the field quickly and effectively. I really think this can be the year that he brings himself back to the Elite QB Discussion, but we shall see. What do I know? I'm just a homer bengals fan...

^Thanks BK!
Bengalsrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is gonna be Top 12 Passer this year, don't worry about him.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:39 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrz View Post
And anyone claiming that they were garbage time points/yards is clearly just basing this off the fact that we were down so much....
I'm pretty sure you just contradicted yourself right here. Not sure if you know what the meaning of "garbage time" actually is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you just contradicted yourself right here. Not sure if you know what the meaning of "garbage time" actually is...
Garbage time implies that the defense is playing prevent D or with a significantly larger cushion against receivers.

Yes, it was "garbage time," but New England wasn't playing garbage time defense.

You know what I meant, no need to nitpick my word choice.

^Thanks BK!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:57 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Garbage time implies that the defense is playing prevent D or with a significantly larger cushion against receivers.

Yes, it was "garbage time," but New England wasn't playing garbage time defense.

We were playing garbage time defense. Not prevent, but we took the heat off as we got up and subbed in some of our second string type guys more. We went waaaaaaaaay more vanilla base type defense in the second half.

I actually still believe in Carson Palmer, although he has regressed, but those were garbage points for the most part.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We were playing garbage time defense. Not prevent, but we took the heat off as we got up and subbed in some of our second string type guys more. We went waaaaaaaaay more vanilla base type defense in the second half.

I actually still believe in Carson Palmer, although he has regressed, but those were garbage points for the most part.
Didn't look that way to me. I've watched the game multiple times, and the defense looked very similar. I think it was the no-huddle offense that really caught the defense off balance. Regardless, Bratkowsi and Belichick already said it that their defense didn't switch up until the very end of the game.

Another thing to note, the Patriots went for it on 4th down with 2 minutes left while up 21. Doesn't really make sense for a team that is apparently trying to run up the score to allow the other teams offense to move down the field and score easily.

^Thanks BK!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Another thing to note, the Patriots went for it on 4th down with 2 minutes left while up 21. Doesn't really make sense for a team that is apparently trying to run up the score to allow the other teams offense to move down the field and score easily.
Honestly, I shouldn't even waste the keystrokes required to type it, but . . .

3 points is completely meaningless at that point. A first down, on the other hand, allows you to kneel and run out the clock.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Nah, the implication of garbage time isn't so simply schematic, it also includes the fact that a lot of players ease up when they're up big, focusing more on staying healthy and protecting the lead than going out and making a play or a stop. While it's true that some teams go prevent, that's not the only implication of garbage time.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Honestly, I shouldn't even waste the keystrokes required to type it, but . . .

3 points is completely meaningless at that point. A first down, on the other hand, allows you to kneel and run out the clock.
Pretty darn sure it was 4th and goal, actually.

And Carson's 2nd half stats can be interpreted however way we want them to be. I'm sure I'm speaking with a bit of bias here, but I do think there's a lot of truth to what I'm saying. Let's just let the season play out and see what happens. Or at least Week 2.

^Thanks BK!
Old 09-19-2010, 12:26 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope Palmer wins a Super Bowl before he retires.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Quote:
Pretty darn sure it was 4th and goal, actually.
No, it wasn't. It was 4th & 2 at the 7.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201009...ost-playbyplay

Old 09-20-2010, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No, it wasn't. It was 4th & 2 at the 7.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201009...ost-playbyplay
Ah, the game was taken off the air and I thought I saw that on gamecenter. I'll eat my crow on that one.

^Thanks BK!