Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-09-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Yup. I'm pretty much in the same boat. My guys are all on the brink of being level 8s.

It's pretty interesting how they implemented the night and day stuff. The map seemed like a mess at first, but once you get that hang of it, it's pretty cool.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:41 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the way they did the map. It was extremely confusing at first, but it's much better than having to go to an Inn and sleep for 4 hours like games used to make you do to get to the night missions.

I don't know how many thugs I've killed at night. You'd think they'd run out eventually? Or that something would change/happen from me killing hundreds of street thugs...?
Old 03-09-2011, 06:14 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dragon Age 2 feels like the start of Kingdom Heart 2 for 14 hours. I like the fighting and the visual style, but I felt very trapped in Kirkwall. Now that I'm out of it things are a bit better, but I'm very burned out on this game overall. Seems like I've done a lot for very little reward in terms of character development and such. I really don't know how I feel about this one yet. I'm a good 14 hours in as I mentioned and it feels like things just now got moving.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can def. see that. I dont like the fact that everything is in Kirkwall so far. The IGN review did say that damn near the whole game takes place there, which is kind of a weird thing for Bioware to do. Honestly, the area is really not even that big. I like the way they set up main quests in the last game better. Everything felt a bit more varied and you had more freedom, really. I def. like the game, but I doubt in the end, I'll like it more than Origins.

I actually was thinking to myself today, when I'd reach a little bit of that burn out period. I too was thinking it may come early, because damn near everything has occurred within the Kirkwall walls, about 8 hours into the game still. IGN did say things dont even really start to pick up for real until the 2nd act...once you get out of Kirkwall, so it should all be uphill from this point for you.

I will say this...anyone who is new to Dragon Age...may never see the end of the game, because after the opening scenes, I'd be lying if I didnt say the game was pretty slow in comparison to Origins. 8 Hours in...I havent done anything major and I dont really know my companions that well. haha.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-09-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:48 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm still not that far into it, but I have the next two days off so I plan to play a LOT.

Starting off in one place for a while isn't too unusual though for Bioware I don't think.....Origins got you in and out of Ostagar pretty quickly, but in KotoR you're on Taris for a quite a while in the beginning and in Mass Effect, you're on the Citadel for quite a while before becoming a Spectre. Then both open up a bit more.

Anyway...slowest night of work ever. I want to go home and play more.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:50 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

You're not in the Citadel for nearly as long as your in Kirkwall. I can never speak too ill of Mass Effect in any case. The game is brilliant. haha.

I'm still having fun, though. I would like to leave Kirkwall behind soon, though. :P

edit...Also this game is making me want to play Shenmue. This having to earn 50G to advance to another part, just reminds of a very similar situation in Shenmue. haha. Love those games so much.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-09-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:00 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Oh and as for something else...lol.

What do you think guys? I'm really excited for it. I just pre-ordered it yesterday.

The facial expressions are just unreal.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know, the Citadel felt a lot more alive than Kirkwall too. Kirkwall is just a bunch of sandy colored streets and a few random Templar's standing around. Not a vibrant, alive place by any means. The things people on the street say really aren't that interesting either. It just all feels...dull. Thrown together even.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-09-2011, 08:06 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I don't know, the Citadel felt a lot more alive than Kirkwall too. Kirkwall is just a bunch of sandy colored streets and a few random Templar's standing around. Not a vibrant, alive place by any means. The things people on the street say really aren't that interesting either. It just all feels...dull. Thrown together even.
I wasn't comparing the two as places, but MOTH said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I can def. see that. I dont like the fact that everything is in Kirkwall so far. The IGN review did say that damn near the whole game takes place there, which is kind of a weird thing for Bioware to do.
And I was just pointing out that in some other Bioware games, you do spend a good chunk of time in the same place at the very start before it opens up.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I wasn't comparing the two as places, but MOTH said:

And I was just pointing out that in some other Bioware games, you do spend a good chunk of time in the same place at the very start before it opens up.
This is a bit different, though. Seems a bit like overkill. But hey, we'll see how things go. And while I think a lot of it is nice to look out now...I still have this closed in feeling. And as EE said, it doesnt feel nearly as alive as the Citadel did.

And Kirkwall plays a major role throughout the game...so apparently you'll be revisiting the same places a lot, and it's not that big of an area.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-09-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:13 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Eventually I'm going to get those 50 sovereigns (after playing ME that word makes me angry) and get the hell out of Dodge...err, Kirkwall.

I've bought one thing so far, a better staff for whatsherface...the sister mage. (Totally blanking on the name...) but I've otherwise saved every bit and used only found equipment. I'll get those 50 eventually...I think I was up to like 20 when I stopped playing last night.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:16 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Yeah. I get that. I don't know though. They give you this goal "Oh, finance this expedition." then kind of drop you into the wild doing a string of unrelated things. I'm fine with finance an expedition as a plot-line...it's potentially cool even...but there's very little driving that with the dialogue and and cut scenes.

They lead you to believe it's going to be a two second, minor plot point and then it turns out to be a major, significant part of the game. Once you get over that it still doesn't really stand up. You completely remove any sense of exploration and discovery just plopping you in one location and telling you to do side quests for a big part of the action. I'm also willing to bet there's very few of these kind of missions throughout the course of the rest of the game, so that's just a pure pacing error really.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-09-2011, 08:20 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Bethany. I only have the three girls with me, her, Aveline, and Isabella. (It's not name dropping if they were in the demo. :D) Bethany is kind of cute, but yeah...she's your sister. And Aveline is a man. So I'm gonna bed Isabella whenever I get a chance, I guess. I'm assuming she's set up to be the "main" love interest...just like Morrigan was in the other game. Plus she's got Bioware's patented "huge boobs" going on. She actually kind of reminds me more of a Miranda type. Supposed to be walking sex, uber hot. hahaha.

Speaking of companions...I have a pretty full party already. Which is also kind of disappointing to me already. Meeting them all in Kirkwall, dammit. lol.

But I am happy that I didnt spoil it for me, when they introduced characters and said who was coming back. I've seen some familiar faces, but just small time characters from Origins so far.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Yeah. I get that. I don't know though. They give you this goal "Oh, finance this expedition." then kind of drop you into the wild doing a string of unrelated things. I'm fine with finance an expedition as a plot-line...it's potentially cool even...but there's very little driving that with the dialogue and and cut scenes.

They lead you to believe it's going to be a two second, minor plot point and then it turns out to be a major, significant part of the game. Once you get over that it still doesn't really stand up. You completely remove any sense of exploration and discovery just plopping you in one location and telling you to do side quests for a big part of the action. I'm also willing to bet there's very few of these kind of missions throughout the course of the rest of the game, so that's just a pure pacing error really.
I thought there would be more structure to me making this 50Gs. It's all kind of jumbled. I'm still only sitting at like 30 something I think.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-09-2011, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I'm still not that far into it, but I have the next two days off so I plan to play a LOT.

Starting off in one place for a while isn't too unusual though for Bioware I don't think.....Origins got you in and out of Ostagar pretty quickly, but in KotoR you're on Taris for a quite a while in the beginning and in Mass Effect, you're on the Citadel for quite a while before becoming a Spectre. Then both open up a bit more.

Anyway...slowest night of work ever. I want to go home and play more.
Taris might be my favourite location in any game ever. I loved that place. Screw you Bendak Starkiller!
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft King View Post
Taris might be my favourite location in any game ever. I loved that place. Screw you Bendak Starkiller!
Eh, it bugged me that you didn't have a Jedi in the party at the point so you had to rely on damn med packs or whatever they were called as your only means to heal.....plus, you just weren't a Jedi yet. You don't play Star Wars games so you can hit things with a vibro sword. I want a damn lightsaber...and destroy droid....and force lightning.....
Old 03-09-2011, 08:38 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I was OK with the weird vibrator sword and building towards the lightsaber. Taris is another example of a great centralized location that didn't feel stupid.

More Kirkwall bitching;
-Agree with M.O.T.H.. Lame you meet everyone in the same place.
-The thing that bothers me the most about it is it IS actually pretty big, but it's big for the sake of being big. It's not like they stuffed a ton of content in it and crafted a bunch of districts with unique looks and such...they sort of just made a big, bland looking location with three or four meaningful things to do in it. Example; "The Bazaar". There's like two shops in it and one or two people just kind of pacing around. All open air, all looking exactly the same as any other given place in Kirkwall. Very, very lame.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

I dont think it's really that big. Bioware disguises things to make it look big. But their levels are still very linear and rather small when you really explore them a bunch of times. Same as Origins. Hell, a lot of doors arent even accessible. Throughout completing all these side quests, you jump around a lot and re-visit these places over and over, and I really dont think the area is big enough for that kind of thing. There is no way that you should spend 10+ hours there, before leaving. It gets a little tedious...I just hope to be blown away by the other environments.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-09-2011, 09:36 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Did you guys go with default Hawke or a custom build?

I went with a custom dude, myself. Hopefully I can get a picture up sometime. I was looking at all the Hawke's at the Bioware forums and there are some good ones...and well there are other ones too. lol.

Thank god for the Black Emporium...because my original design annoyed me, he had like dreadlocks. lol.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-09-2011, 10:29 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I did Custom First, but then went to Default at the Black Emporium. Fit the voice so much better than mine did. Might mess around with it later and take a look at some of the things people are doing. Character creation is much better this time around, that's for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Yeah character creation is pretty good...my dude still looks a little odd, though. I've def. seen some solid Hawke's, however. The voice doesnt match mine either. My guy looks about 20 and that voice just sounds way too mature for him.

That said, I dont like default Hawke's look too much. He looks too old...he looks much cooler in the trailers and on the cover of the game. Not like a middle aged man. haha.

And as far as my game progress is concerned...I'm 10 hours in, still in Kirkwall, and Isabella hates every little thing I do. It's kind of making me mad. I keep getting rivalry points from her and I havent been able to actually talk to her at all. So I cant give her gifts and I cant talk to her until the game lets me...:/ This is going great. lol. I've said before that the Morrigan romance played out progessively better than any romance I've seen in an RPG. It was very well done. So yeah, I def. think Bioware totally took a step back here in DA2 regarding the romances.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I don't mind a seasoned hero. Doesn't look THAT old to me either, more like a guy who has seen his way around a little bit but is still pretty young. It's the beard that does it I think.

I'm not entirely sure that Bioware romance plots haven't become really played out at this point. Haven't messed around with that in Dragon Age 2 yet, but the amount of dudes that have come onto me this soon really sort of says that I shouldn't expect much there. Not that's really important to me anyway....but it just seems like we go into these games expecting certain things in regards to these games. Might be time to mix things up a bit rather than try to cater to aforementioned expectations/dumb things down.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-09-2011, 11:47 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Well the fact that the game spans 10 years, you'd expect him to look at least a little younger when the game starts. I personally think he looks kind of old and his voice is very mature...but what disappoints me most is, that like I said, he looks nothing like he does in those bad ass CG trailers. haha.

I wish he looked more like this...

Instead of...

They look nothing a like and I'm hating that beard. lol. Doesnt look too bad ass at all.

As for the romances...well you wouldnt expect them to take a step back here. But that said...knowing that they f'd up the romance transfer to ME2, I probably shouldnt be surprised.

I adore Bioware...but they're def. not perfect and they do make some odd decisions sometimes. A lot of hits and misses in DA2. This is going to happen when you change your games so much from sequel to sequel. They're certainly not afraid to change damn near everything in their games. Look no further than the major gameplay changes in these past two sequels.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Last edited by M.O.T.H. : 03-09-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

By the early goings of it, I'm willing to bet we'll all ultimately chalk Dragon Age 2 up as a disappointment on some level...albeit an enjoyable one. A thing to remember here is that the Origins took a very long time to make and they pumped this one out in about a year and a half of dev time and were very forward about going for a different market.

EA hasn't ****** up Mass Effect yet(thank god), but they damn sure are making a strong case for it with this and the technical issues and lazy programming of Awakenings. Maybe that's strong wording, but they certainly haven't pushed this franchise in the right direction.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Going to have to work Fenris into my party because he's voiced by the same guy who did Balthier in FF12.

If this master of his we have to go find has the same voice as Bagamnon, I'm going to have to call this the greatest game ever....(unlikely.)