Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:17 PM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer
Default Mario Williams, quite possibly the best defensive player in the league.

Even though my Houston Texans played horribly with less than 7 minutes left in the game with a score of 27-10 lead, Mario Williams is my pick for best defensive player in the league. Because of the reasons I will elaborate on you have to recognize Mario as one of the most dynamic defensive players in the NFL. And I wanted to make sure that when you do read the score of the Indianapolis versus Houston game today that you donít have a skewed view of Marioís play. Because, well, he played like the beast he is, while the rest of his team came up short all the way around.

Mario Williams is quite possibly the finest defensive end to watch in the entire league. here else do you get to see a 6'8 291lbs. DE play with this kind of speed, explosion, strength and above all probably the most physically impressive athleticism you may ever see in the entire NFL. Mario had 2 sacks today against the all mighty Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts and at least 4 QB pressures and 1 knockdown. Not to mention the countless times the Colts ran away from him and the times they did they were stuffed. I know there are more productive units out there that have defensive ends that put up similar numbers, but none with the amount of backups and stop gaps that Mario plays with.

Yes, my thread is a monster homer thread, but please, go watch Mario play before commenting on how so and so is getter or so and so is comparable. Itís like watching a perfect player fit that perfect look fit that perfect way of playing. Itís the same way people look at Randy Moss, Orlando Pace, Peyton Manning, LaDainian Tomlinson and Antonio Gates. Fans, coaches, scouts and general managers all look at these guys with that prototypical standard of how a certain position are supposed to look like and are supposed to play like. Thatís the way I see Mario Williams. He looks the part, but more importantly produces like the part.

Mario Williams has what more and more coaches and general managers are looking for in top rated 4-3 defensive ends. He moves like heís only about 245lbs. but weighs in at 290 plus, he has the strength of a defensive tackle but the hands of a defensive end. He is a nightmare for an inexperienced offensive tackle and he is no cake walk for the Pro-Bowl players that he sees in the AFC conference. If you want to know more about what kind of player he is, try to find video of interviews that were of him during his rookie season. I donít know a more doubted, more criticized, more hated player ever to come into the NFL in terms of where he was picked. I canít tell you how many times I went to the mat for him during his rookie and I canít imagine being a #1 overall pick and being called a bust before you even put on the jersey. To Mario though, all the hype of Reggie Bush and Vince Young never got to him, at least no publically, He handled himself excellently and he never got emotional, never got mad and took it out on others, he worked hard, refined his craft and came into the league with his head held high.

We all knew about his mediocre rookie season, but what most donít know is that he played with plantar fasciitis that is an awfully painful issue that effects the heal of the foot, but he still put up a decent sack number and never missed a game, when letís be honest, most rookies would have taken it easy. But he played the last 8 games with the injury and not once used it as an excuse. So the next year, with a full year of NFL training and conditioning vowed to make a superstar impact from a superstar playerÖÖand he did. 14 sacks later, Mario Williams put himself in talks as not just the best DE in football, but in the discussion of being one of the top 5 best defensive players in the NFL. Now, we come to this year. So far Mario has been a dominating monster on a team that is chalked full of nobodies. Take a look at their roster and you will notice that more than half of their starters are leftovers from other teams from the past 2 years. Guys like Jacque Reeves, C.C. Brown, Will Demps and Nick Ferguson. For his LB crew only DeMeco Ryans is an impact player that has the ability to be a game changer, but he more ultra productive than ultra talented. Marlon Greenwood is terrible and Zach Diles is a backup that is forced to start. Anthony Weaver is quite possibly the worst player that starts at the LDE in the NFL. Travis Johnson has solidified himself as a 1rst round bust and Amobi Okoye has yet to come out in his sophomore year and worst yet isnít progressing like a top 10 pick should. Mario is quite literally the best player in the league that almost quite literally plays by all by his lonesome.

I give Mario All-Pro honors simply on the fact that no one scares offensive coordinators and opposing quarerbacks more than Mario regardless of the atrocious talent around him. If you get a chance to watch Mario live or even on TV, I recommend doing so. Youíll be in for a treat.
MarioPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:20 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioPalmer View Post
Mario regardless of the atrocious talent around him.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Justin Tuck says hi
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Abraham is better.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Demeco Ryans is just as important to the Texans defense as Mario is.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with anything you said except the fact that you're making a proclamation in week 5 of a player's third season in the NFL.

Williams is a fantastic defensive lineman who's doing exactly what the Texans drafted him to do.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:25 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like what the Texans have as a foundation on D: Mario, Demeco, Dunta. Definately missing a guy or two, but those guys are solid young studs(I know Dunta's hurt, but I love him)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:27 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I love the Down Syndrome monkey picture.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:28 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
I really like what the Texans have as a foundation on D: Mario, Demeco, Dunta. Definately missing a guy or two, but those guys are solid young studs(I know Dunta's hurt, but I love him)
Don't forget about Amobi Okoye!
Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Is Okoye a Texan? Hmph, I havent noticed him this year. Gosh.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Dr. Gonzo
Icon

Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dr. Gonzo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Roy Williams and his multiple Pro Bowls says hello. How many Pro Bowls has Mario been to? I rest my case.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
i didn't he sucks. (he went to Loserville)
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:46 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, Mario is great, but he has games where he is basically invisible too much still IMO. Against the Titans, for instance, where he made little if any impact at all. Best defender of the league talk are reserved for guys with a bit more consistency IMO.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Mario, and I didn't catch the game, but I gotta say the Colts line has been getting pushed around all year. It's not that impressive against us.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:48 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:49 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
must I break out the curb-stomp pic?

and he's not even the best defender on your team...

I mean he's a beast and all, but still
Quote:
Old 10-05-2008, 03:58 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I would cream my pants if we got albert in fa and were able to keep spags around. Kiwi - Tuck - Haynesworth - Osi yep, i'm definitely hard just thinking about that group rushing the passer.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:59 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
must I break out the curb-stomp pic?

and he's not even the best defender on your team...

I mean he's a beast and all, but still
Yes, he is. When he plays well so does our defense. When he doesn't, well, neither does the defense. He makes our D what it is. As for the curb stomp pic I couldn't care less.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:01 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Yes, he is. When he plays well so does our defense. When he doesn't, well, neither does the defense. He makes our D what it is. As for the curb stomp pic I couldn't care less.
I honestly believe Keith Bulluck is your D's(if not teams) best player. I LOVE Bulluck. He does everything right for a 4-3 OLB.

BUT

he is getting up there in age(30 or so I think?) and all those years take a toll on a LB'er, so he may be declining. AH is a beast, no doubt, but I believe Bulluck is better(and yes, it's hard to compare OLB's and DT's...)
Quote:
Old 10-05-2008, 04:04 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can't fault him, Haynesworth and not Bulluck makes their D tick, imo.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:07 PM    (permalink
OzTitan
Pro Bowler

OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OzTitan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lol, Keith Bulluck isn't even the best linebacker on the Titans. He is so-so against the run and isn't very physical these days. No offense, but quit while you're not too deep - Albert Haynesworth is the best Titans defender and it's not even close. KB doesn't sniff the same impact AH has. He is living off reputation to a large degree these days as the awesome OLB that would always get snubbed for the Pro bowl, but the reality is David Thornton is a better tackler, more physical, and about just as quick. Besides, given how much Jim Schwartz relies on the front 4, it would be pretty hard for the Titans D to be good and have a LB as their best player.

Even when AH isn't getting sacks, of which he has 5 in 5 weeks, he is still making a huge impact. That Flacco INT today that sealed the game was his pressure. Saying Keith is a better and more important player is laughable. Perhaps between snaps as a leader, but once the ball is snapped, I'll take AH and leave KB on the sideline rather than the other way around.
OzTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:08 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

Sorry to Hijack the thread from Mario for a second, but if I was going to rate our top defensive players it would go:
1) Haynesworth
2) Finnegan
3) Bulluck
4) KVB
5) Tie between Griffin and Thornton
Old 10-05-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i haven't really followed him this year but hasn't he always done really well against the colts?
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:11 PM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

Here's my reasoning for Tuck being on Mario's level, Tuck has comparable size and while he isn't as athletic outside he's got that versatility to slide inside and give you a great interior pass rush as well as being a force off the edge. This season he's been our best dlineman and teams have been focusing on him, but he's still been performing and has made life easier on the guys around him, seriously Robbins has that many sacks?

Mario has the tools to be the best defensive player in the league but right now he's where Peppers was as a Sophomore, needing to add consistent domination to his repertoire and not going invisible some games. Not saying Tuck's the leagues best defensive player but he's on par with Mario. Kiwi has yet to really start rush the passer as well as he can so tuck's really not getting much help on that line so I don't buy the reasoning that he's helped by the talent around him that much more than Mario.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

anthony macfarland is still a free agent somehow
robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote