Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default That one knock on the big time prospect... did it become a factor?

Well, I am just curious. I don't have Sunday Ticket, and I gotta be honest -- I don't see a lot of Chiefs games.

Remember when, everyone was bashing Derrick Johnson for not being able to shed blocks at all? Other than that, he was the perfect LB prospect.

I am just wondering, has this become a factor in his play? Or did he prove all the naysayers wrong?

Some other guys that I can think of that have had similar situations..

"Knocked" prospects : An otherwise elite prospect that was thought to have one glaring deficiency in his game

Reggie Bush : He can't touch the ball 25 times a game - Durability
Matt Leinart : No arm strength leads to poor deep ball
Vernon Davis : He isn't agile enough, poor shuttle time at the Combine
Vince Young : Scored worse than my dog on the Wonderlic

Can anyone else think of any other BIG-TIME knocks or deficiencies in a certain prospect and how it has evolved during their time in the NFL? Who are true stories? Who proved everyone wrong?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Ryan Leaf : Spine
Alex Smith : System (Though I don't remember if this was a widespread criticism at the time)
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:23 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mike Williams (both of them) was fat and slow.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:29 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cedric Benson had character concerns.
Chris Williams had injury concerns.
Sigh...
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Mike Williams (both of them) was fat and slow.
Both of them was slow eh?
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:40 AM    (permalink
Pb&j
Rookie

Pb&j is a cocksman.Pb&j is a cocksman.Pb&j is a cocksman.

Braylon Edwards- Inconsistent hands, will make the spectacular catch, then drop the easy one. Hasn't changed a bit.
Pb&j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pb&j View Post
Braylon Edwards- Inconsistent hands, will make the spectacular catch, then drop the easy one. Hasn't changed a bit.
Was going to post this, but I felt like I'd take too many of the easy ones. he really hasn't changed his technique at all. I wonder if some of the blame on that can be placed on his coaching staff. That is usually something that can be corrected.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
"Knocked" prospects : An otherwise elite prospect that was thought to have one glaring deficiency in his game

Vernon Davis : He isn't agile enough, poor shuttle time at the Combine
Not sure I remember agility as an issue for VD, but I remember his hands being questioned. This was definitely accurate. He can't catch ****.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
Not sure I remember agility as an issue for VD, but I remember his hands being questioned. This was definitely accurate. He can't catch ****.
Has he played in a game yet?
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Has he played in a game yet?
Speaking of that.

Adrian Peterson : Injury concerns

Looks to be past it.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:07 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Mario Manningham still wears a helmet while pretending to read, so that he doesn't hurt himself if his brain starts hurting and he tries to ram it through a wall, strangely the helmet also has a parachute in case said wall is actually a window.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Speaking of that.

Adrian Peterson : Injury concerns

Looks to be past it.
he's only played 16 games!

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:30 AM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
I hate to say this, I'm sure there is still a lot of hope for this young man, but he could be in the same boat as Mike Mamula when all is said and done. V. Davis could be one of the biggest workout warriors of the last decade and the hype of his workouts and combine was so off the wall that he wasn't going to picked out of the top 10 because of it.

To me, Davis looks football stupid. Not saying he can't correct those things, but he doesn't lead me to believe that he is smart to know how to get open and when to break off a route if his QB is in trouble. I also think he has a poor time of getting in and out of his breaks and that his route running isn't even close to adequate. Not saying those things can't improve, but I believe that drafting a TE that early for a club that needed much more greater needs was a very bad decision and could be almost as worse as the Alex Smith pick. Haloti Ngata was the guy to take and at the absolute least Donte Whitnor would have been a better value. Davis has a ton of mental work to do. His concentration is also suspect and I don't think if Martz can help then to me, no one can.
MarioPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:35 AM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

To prospects that became the opposite are Greg Jennings and Jerricho Cotchery. Both were labeled as players who weren't going to be able to get seperation in the pros but last year they were 2 of the best in the league at getting yac.
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing is, Vernon was really productive at Maryland, and the way he was used was great, they used him as a traditional TE, split out wide, like an H-Back, out of the backfield, downfield, screens, whatever, and he thrived.

He really just needs a change of scenery. He had one ball thrown his way during the entire game against the Saints, he makes a great play after the catch, celebrates, and gets yanked from the game....
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 AM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioPalmer View Post
I hate to say this, I'm sure there is still a lot of hope for this young man, but he could be in the same boat as Mike Mamula when all is said and done. V. Davis could be one of the biggest workout warriors of the last decade and the hype of his workouts and combine was so off the wall that he wasn't going to picked out of the top 10 because of it.

To me, Davis looks football stupid. Not saying he can't correct those things, but he doesn't lead me to believe that he is smart to know how to get open and when to break off a route if his QB is in trouble. I also think he has a poor time of getting in and out of his breaks and that his route running isn't even close to adequate. Not saying those things can't improve, but I believe that drafting a TE that early for a club that needed much more greater needs was a very bad decision and could be almost as worse as the Alex Smith pick. Haloti Ngata was the guy to take and at the absolute least Donte Whitnor would have been a better value. Davis has a ton of mental work to do. His concentration is also suspect and I don't think if Martz can help then to me, no one can.
If you saw him play his junior year you would have thought much of him. He just seemed to be a gamebreaker. He had 18 ypc he was breaking tackles he put Mario williams on his ass. He could actually play.
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:44 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
he's only played 16 games!
And he already tore a ligament in his knee. lol
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:41 AM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drew Brees didn't have great arm strength coming out.

Now he does.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as Vernon is under Mike Martz he will never make an impact. Give him to the Colts or something and you'd see the type of game changer he can be.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantsfan View Post
Mario Manningham still wears a helmet while pretending to read, so that he doesn't hurt himself if his brain starts hurting and he tries to ram it through a wall, strangely the helmet also has a parachute in case said wall is actually a window.
LOL...that is priceless.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
NEGATIVES: Likes to bait the quarterback, slow locating the pass in the air and has some hesitation to his game. Not physical defending the run and likes to hit rather than tackle.
Those are the knocks on DeAngelo Hall from '04 according to SI.com.

Nothings really changed.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:23 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kamerion Wimbley: Only has one pass rushing move (probably the reason why he's struggling)
Desean Jackson: too small (so far not a problem)
Derek Anderson: throws too many interceptions and has no accuracy. (bingo)
Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Desean had other knocks too

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:06 AM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
As long as Vernon is under Mike Martz he will never make an impact. Give him to the Colts or something and you'd see the type of game changer he can be.
If the Colts can teach him how to catch, run routes, and actually look back for the ball then I guess.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think VD would fly with the Colts, he'd need to study that playbook hard too. Maybe they could pare it down some for him to make it work.

I would like to see it, to see if they could make it work. Although if a guy runs a wrong route or drops a ball, there's a good chance Peyton won't throw him another ball the rest of the game. I'd add a LOL to that, but I am being serious. So it might be something of a doomed effort.

Maybe Carolina would be the best spot for him? If he's a good blocker foremost but could add a few good plays now and then as a receiver, that probably works best for them.

But the 49ers are on the hook for all of that guaranteed money, plus Davis is unlikely to reach most of his incentives I'm sure, so they might as well keep him and continue to groom him.