Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 01-10-2009, 08:41 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Safeties are key to stopping Vertical Passing teams, which more and more teams are becoming. Us Running a Tampa 2, we would have 1/2 of the field locked down, and Jenkins seems less logical in a T2 scheme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

USC runs a Cover 1 I believe, meaning that Mays was generally the only player responsible for the deep ball right? With the Tampa 2, I believe that Mays' interception numbers would probably be a lot better than his college career.

Who knows, he may end up being another Ed Reed if he only has to worry about half the field.

That said, do you think that Mays could also be an enforcer like Dawkins?

Also, thinking about the second round. I am a big fan of taking Percy Harvin with our pick in the second round. Hakeem Nicks is also tempting, but I kinda view Percy Harvin like I do Steve Smith, and getting a player like that would be a huge boost to our offense.

I know that some people don't like the Harvin pick, but I see us taking a WR in this draft. We don't necessarily need someone like Brandon Gibson (who I have been enthralled with for a long time even though I am a Husky fan.), but I would like to see us taking a small, explosive receiver or a big redzone target (Aaron Kelly or Ramses Bardin immediately come to mind). I don't think there are any big WR's worth taking that early (2nd) in the draft, but if they pass on a player like Harvin there, then taking one of the bigger WR's in rounds 3-6 is a possibility I would be happy with.

One last thing, what about the LS situation. Do you see us taking another LS in the draft, or do they hope that the LS they took last year ends up getting over his bad back and being a consistent main-stay for years to come. I don't necessarily see them taking one, but perhaps bringing one in as a UDFA and hoping that he sticks.

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6

Last edited by summond822 : 01-11-2009 at 02:27 PM.
summond822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:42 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope we draft a longsnapper again. I was so pumped.

Quote:
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
I hope we draft a longsnapper again. I was so pumped.
I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not...

Anyways, it was the one pick that I actually agreed with at the time.

In hindsight, Carlson was a great pick. Coutu was and still is a waste of a draft pick and roster spot. Forsett should have been our starting RB (seriously). Bryant got hurt. Schmitt is only ever used in situations where they put in both FB's...and is likely not going to be our future FB unless Leonard Weaver (who I think is the hardest runner on the team) leaves or is traded.

Not a good showing from the rookie class for the Seahawks.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by summond822 View Post
I can't tell if your being sarcastic or not...

Anyways, it was the one pick that I actually agreed with at the time.

In hindsight, Carlson was a great pick. Coutu was and still is a waste of a draft pick and roster spot. Forsett should have been our starting RB (seriously). Bryant got hurt. Schmitt is only ever used in situations where they put in both FB's...and is likely not going to be our future FB unless Leonard Weaver (who I think is the hardest runner on the team) leaves or is traded.

Not a good showing from the rookie class for the Seahawks.
Oh I was. I saw LS come up and was straight dancing. oh and when we pick Coutu. Man I was pumped. Alright, I am being sarcastic. I liked the Schmitt pick because I love the guys attitude, and hated most of the other ones. Forsett is a beast and I agree there. Ruskell sucks though. I hope we have a better draft this year.

Quote:

Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
Oh I was. I saw LS come up and was straight dancing. oh and when we pick Coutu. Man I was pumped. Alright, I am being sarcastic. I liked the Schmitt pick because I love the guys attitude, and hated most of the other ones. Forsett is a beast and I agree there. Ruskell sucks though. I hope we have a better draft this year.
Not always easy to detect sarcasm in text.

I do have an idea for the upcoming draft. The Seahawks bring in Holmgren as an advisor saying that he forgot something up in Seattle to make his wife less suspicious. Then Holmgren and Ruskell proceed to alternating picks, with Ruskell selecting defensive players and Holmgren selecting offensive players. We might actually have a chance of getting a good offensive rookie class this year.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:51 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

I still dont think we will draft a solid offensive skill player. We haven't yet, besides Shaun(ugh).

Quote:

Old 01-11-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Guess we better hope for Knowshon Moreno to fall through round 1 and hope that he will finally be the replacement to Shaun. Though with our luck he probably busts big time if we get him...

If Korean Robinson pans out does that count? Or does he not count because he was before Ruskell's time?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:51 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Well, with McCoy, Moreno, Wells, and Green all declaring, it looks like we will at least have a shot at drafting one of those 4 in the second.

Operating under the assumption that they don't bring back Morris (for some reason), which one pairs up the best with Jones, and which one do you think that the Seahawks should take?

Personally, I would like to see them take Moreno, but McCoy wouldn't be a bad consolation prize at all. Or who knows...maybe they go off and choose Spiller trying to get a Brian Westbrook or Chris Johnson type of player.

Still holding out for Harvin though...

Last edited by summond822 : 01-14-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:44 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think Harvin is a WR at the next level. And I like Shady McCoy more than NOSHOW Moreno. as you can tell, I really dont like him.

Quote:

Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

I think that they do end up taking a WR in this draft, I just don't see it being Michael Crabtree. I agree that Harvin is a WR, but I just see him as such a big play threat that he would be a bigger help than Michael Crabtree. You can't teach speed like you can route running and hands. That's why I like Harvin so much. Ramses Bardin and Aaron Kelly are my other two favorite WR's. Big guys who aren't going to do much downfield, but they can really open up the playbook inside the 20 since they are both over 6'5.

I really wouldn't be adverse to any of those backs, except perhaps Green. Him and Brown just remind me of someone who isn't going to be very productive at the pro level. I don't know what it is, maybe it's their running style IDK.

Shady is probably at the top of my list, he has some big play potential, and he comes from Pitt. I don't know what it is about that college but they put out some tough (mental and physical) prospects.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much time do they spend debating Mark Sanchez?. If they return to being a good team as everyone thinks they may not have a shot a good QB for years.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
How much time do they spend debating Mark Sanchez?. If they return to being a good team as everyone thinks they may not have a shot a good QB for years.
I think they spend quite a bit of time deciding between where to put Sanchez on their big board. If they ultimately evaluate him as the third or fourth best player in the draft, and the people ahead of him are gone, they probably spring for him. However, they may also try to trade down because the majority of the teams in top 10 don't need QB's so they may be able to take Sanchez much lower than number 4.

Cincy has Palmer, Cleveland has Quinn, Oakland has Russel. They could trade down to at least 8 before they pulled the trigger on him. And doing that they would save a ton of money.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

I hope we dont go Sanchez. I really dont like these prospects at the top of this class at QB.

Quote:

Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Same here. Jenkins or Orakpo are my first choices. Then it would be Eugene Monroe/Andre Smith. Then trading down and taking someone else is my final (and the most likely) resort.

Can you imagine the pass rush if we had Kerney and Orakpo on opposite sides? We wouldn't even need to blitz most of the time.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:22 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would you guys draft Orakpo with Lawrence Jackson, Patrick Kerney, and Darryl Tapp on the roster at defensive end?

And is Malcolm Jenkins an actual possibility?

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Why would you guys draft Orakpo with Lawrence Jackson, Patrick Kerney, and Darryl Tapp on the roster at defensive end?

And is Malcolm Jenkins an actual possibility?
We would draft Orakpo if we thought that Jackson wasn't going to be a pass rusher, which I dont think he ever will be. Jackson is more of a run stopping end, but I don't believe that he is going to get to the QB with any regularity. Tapp is exclusively a pass rusher. Kerney is the only complete DE we have. Add in the fact that it would improve the defensive line rotation and it could be a feasible pick.

Do I actually see Seattle taking Orakpo? No. They won't give up on Jackson after one season. They won't go QB, and I just can't see Mora and Ruskell taking Michael Crabtree. So, the only options are to take Malcolm Jenkins or take an OT. If they decided to take an OT they would likely trade down.

One draft day scenario I see is Cleveland trading to 3 to make sure Seattle doesn't get Malcolm Jenkins and then Seattle trading out of the top 10. Then the financial burden of taking one of the top OT's or Mark Sanchez is nowhere near as big as it would be if they had selected them at number 4.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summond822 View Post
We would draft Orakpo if we thought that Jackson wasn't going to be a pass rusher, which I dont think he ever will be. Jackson is more of a run stopping end, but I don't believe that he is going to get to the QB with any regularity. Tapp is exclusively a pass rusher. Kerney is the only complete DE we have. Add in the fact that it would improve the defensive line rotation and it could be a feasible pick.

Do I actually see Seattle taking Orakpo? No. They won't give up on Jackson after one season. They won't go QB, and I just can't see Mora and Ruskell taking Michael Crabtree. So, the only options are to take Malcolm Jenkins or take an OT. If they decided to take an OT they would likely trade down.

One draft day scenario I see is Cleveland trading to 3 to make sure Seattle doesn't get Malcolm Jenkins and then Seattle trading out of the top 10. Then the financial burden of taking one of the top OT's or Mark Sanchez is nowhere near as big as it would be if they had selected them at number 4.

Remember, Mora selected two first round receivers while in Atlanta, those being Michael Jenkins and Roddy White. Knapp was the offensive coordinator, and Ruskell was on the staff when we took Jenkins and when we scouted Roddy.

Next Up: 2012

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 01-16-2009 at 02:03 PM.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Remember, Mora selected two first round receivers while in Atlanta, those being Michael Jenkins and Roddy White. Knapp was the offensive coordinator, and Ruskell was on the staff when we took Jenkins and when we scouted Roddy.
The difference is where they were picking. It's different when you are selecting in the middle/later parts of round 1 and the top 5. Mora wasn't taking those guys top 5. A top 5 pick has to be a solid pick or it sets your franchise back years. I don't think that Crabtree is that player. I don't think the Seahawks will take Crabtree at 4. If they trade down, they may take him, but until they do, I don't think they take Crabtree. Especially if they believe they have a shot at Percy Harvin in the second. IMO Jenkins/Harvin>>>>>>Crabtree/Chung or some other defensive player

Unless the Seahawks go out and spend huge money in FA on defense, then I think that this first pick goes to fix a horrible defense. There are excuses about why the passing game was so horrible this year. There are no excuses for why the defense was so bad.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Hawkeye
Rookie

Hawkeye hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What do you think about Seattle taking a RB with there 2nd rd pick. I think there will be a very good one with LeSean McCoy or Shonn Greene there. And if one of them are there I think they should take one.
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:31 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
What do you think about Seattle taking a RB with there 2nd rd pick. I think there will be a very good one with LeSean McCoy or Shonn Greene there. And if one of them are there I think they should take one.
McCoy I would love to see them take if he's there, and thats a big if. Shonn Greene...I'm not really a fan of his so I can't say I would be happy taking him there unless we had gone defense in the first round.

Pretty much they have to go defense with at least one of their picks on the first day. So ultimately I see them maneuvering to acquire more picks so that Ruskell can play around with his "money round" which is what I call the second round for the Seahawks and Ruskell. Ruskell has convinced me that although the players he takes in the second aren't always going to be superb athletes, they will come in immediately and contribute, even ahead of more highly touted first round picks.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Does Ramses Barden fit the money round status?

Quote:

Old 01-18-2009, 05:35 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Maybe if they decide to trade back with their first pick and manage to pull another second and have room to move around, perhaps into the later part of the second round. The bigger question about Barden isn't whether or not he fits that profile, but if the Seahawks even consider him.

We all know Ruskell rarely, if ever, takes small school prospects. All because he likes to see the players he pick perform and compete against top teir competition.

Other than a S, I don't really see anyone else coming in immediately and playing. Maybe David Bruton could be a fit there. Ron Brace perhaps?

EDIT: There are a few things we know about how Ruskell drafts.
1. He loves to trade down in the first and acquire more picks, as well as take the player that they have targeted.

This year he may not be able to trade down.

2. He loves to trade up in the second and go after players that he has targeted.

With such a high pick this year we may be seeing him trying to trade back into round 1.

3. He tries to add at least 1 offensive and 1 defensive lineman in each draft.

This is absolutely necessary this year.

4. He really doesn't care what the public thinks about his picks. He isn't afraid to go grab the player that no one expects (Lawrence Jackson...........).

So perhaps we should be saying good-bye to any wishful thinkings about who we are all wanting them to draft.

Last edited by summond822 : 01-18-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Chung I hope drops and he'd contribute immediately. But if we do go WR, how do you rank these prospects for pick 36:
Brandon Lafell, Derrick Williams, Kenny Britt (Doubt he is here, but going off scott's rankings), Hakeem Nicks, Louis Murphy, and a wildcard.
mine looks like this:
Derrick Williams
Kenny Britt
Ramses Barden (wildcard)
Hakeem Nicks
Brandon Lafell
Louis Murphy

Quote:

Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

Well, personally I would go:
Derrick Williams
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt
Louis Murphy
Brandon Lafell
Jarret Dillard, Rice (wildcard).

However, I think we could get Dillard at the start of round 3. He's my pick for most impressive rookie WR next year.

Ruskell probably goes:
Louis Murphy
Kenny Britt
Derrick Williams
Brandon Lafell
Hakeem Nicks