Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Franklin and Chow are horrible choices for OC. Chow didn't do very well in Tennessee and how is Franklin's system going to work in the pros? For OC in no particular order:
David Lee: I like what he is doing on the Dolphins, he brought the Wildcat system there and is a great QB coach.
Al Saunders- I think he will be fired from St. Louis, he put together effective attacks in KC and WAS.
Scott Linehan- Was effective as OC in Miami and Minnesota.
Loggerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lane Kiffen
Old 11-04-2008, 08:42 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead View Post
Franklin and Chow are horrible choices for OC. Chow didn't do very well in Tennessee and how is Franklin's system going to work in the pros? For OC in no particular order:
David Lee: I like what he is doing on the Dolphins, he brought the Wildcat system there and is a great QB coach.
Al Saunders- I think he will be fired from St. Louis, he put together effective attacks in KC and WAS.
No his offense in Washington was awful, just like to clear that up. We were better even with Gibbs calling plays. I don't think he's a good fit for Big Ben either. The thing about Saunders though is you need far more than a year or 2 until you can judge him because his system really takes that long to learn, and even longer to master.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Chow had 0 talent in Tennessee and is a great guy with a QB (Other than McNair there was 0 talent between 2005-2007 on the Titans)

Franklin.. It's a decent styled spread offense, which is becoming more prominent in the pro's and we're already running a goofy ass version of the spread.

Not a fan of David Lee. I could care less about the wildcat.

Linehan I'm skeptical, I mean, his team did just want to mutiny.

Saunders is not a good coach for Ben.

Kiffin may be the best choice, but He could have any college coaching job he wants IMO.. I can't see him becoming our OC.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:26 AM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Chow ran a very conservative offense that I didn't think was really catered to his players strengths. Chow was actually hired after Steve McNair's last year with them.
Linehan did wonders with Miami's O and that was with Gus Frerotte at QB.
The reason I pointed out the Wild Cat in relation to Lee is to show that he does a good job of utilizing his players strengths.
I like Kiffen but his O runs a zone blocking scheme which we don't have the personell for and runs a version of the WCO.
Loggerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Chow ran a very conservative offense that I didn't think was really catered to his players strengths. Chow was actually hired after Steve McNair's last year with them.
Linehan did wonders with Miami's O and that was with Gus Frerotte at QB.
The reason I pointed out the Wild Cat in relation to Lee is to show that he does a good job of utilizing his players strengths.
I like Kiffen but his O runs a zone blocking scheme which we don't have the personell for and runs a version of the WCO.
Dude? We utilize a lot of ZBS.

And I'm not sure a hybrid Smashmouth/WCO wouldn't be the solution. Look what Zorn did with a Strong ground game and some tastes here and there of the WCO?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Dude? We utilize a lot of ZBS.

And I'm not sure a hybrid Smashmouth/WCO wouldn't be the solution. Look what Zorn did with a Strong ground game and some tastes here and there of the WCO?

i like that thought, i'd hate to go straight West Coast, but a smashmouth/WC(with a little bit of deep balls) could be the identity that carries us into the new age!
i thought Arians was tryin that, but he seems so random?

i noticed Tom Jackson, from ESPN, started to mock the playcalling! even the outsiders are noticing.

do we really have a shot at Kiffin?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
i like that thought, i'd hate to go straight West Coast, but a smashmouth/WC(with a little bit of deep balls) could be the identity that carries us into the new age!
i thought Arians was tryin that, but he seems so random?

i noticed Tom Jackson, from ESPN, started to mock the playcalling! even the outsiders are noticing.

do we really have a shot at Kiffin?
He's probably the hottest pick for a bunch of college positions.

I'm wondering about Charlie Weis.. He won't have many more years (If this one) at ND and the guy did know how to attack a defense and adjust in the 2nd half.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:15 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally hope Gary Kubiak gets canned, then we pick him up.

He was the QB coach that helped Young turn into the QB he was at San Fran.

He was the QB coach / OC with the Broncos for 11 years, piling up great #'s, not to mention goo seasons.

Right now the Texans are struggling, which isn't surprising, but I don't think its the play calling, if he had the talent we do, we would be a lot better off than we are now.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:24 AM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
I personally hope Gary Kubiak gets canned, then we pick him up.

He was the QB coach that helped Young turn into the QB he was at San Fran.

He was the QB coach / OC with the Broncos for 11 years, piling up great #'s, not to mention goo seasons.

Right now the Texans are struggling, which isn't surprising, but I don't think its the play calling, if he had the talent we do, we would be a lot better off than we are now.
And he's also well schooled in the zone blocking scheme that Denver used to produce so many 1000 yd rushers over the yrs - and I think Willie would really excell in that 1 cut & go system.
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:41 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub View Post
And he's also well schooled in the zone blocking scheme that Denver used to produce so many 1000 yd rushers over the yrs - and I think Willie would really excell in that 1 cut & go system.
I agree... the more I think about it... the more I see him fitting here.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem w Kubiak and the zone blocking scheme is do we have the OL personell necessary to excell in that system.....I'm not so sure. Maybe he could develope some guys and maybe we draft a few others and maybe we get on the right page. Those are a lot of maybe's but Kubiak would def be worth a look if he gets canned.

2 other guys to think about:

Norv Turner - if the Chargers miss the playoffs by a wide margin and continue to look inept Norv may lose his job. Over time Turner has proven to be 2 things - 1. a great offensive coordinator - 2. a terrible head coach. In his time as an OC he has an excellent track record in terms of developing QB's as well as having solid running games.

or

and I know he'd never want to come back but...given the OL personell we have, the one guy who I think could get the most out of them is.....Russ Grimm.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub View Post
The problem w Kubiak and the zone blocking scheme is do we have the OL personell necessary to excell in that system.....I'm not so sure. Maybe he could develope some guys and maybe we draft a few others and maybe we get on the right page. Those are a lot of maybe's but Kubiak would def be worth a look if he gets canned.

2 other guys to think about:

Norv Turner - if the Chargers miss the playoffs by a wide margin and continue to look inept Norv may lose his job. Over time Turner has proven to be 2 things - 1. a great offensive coordinator - 2. a terrible head coach. In his time as an OC he has an excellent track record in terms of developing QB's as well as having solid running games.

or

and I know he'd never want to come back but...given the OL personell we have, the one guy who I think could get the most out of them is.....Russ Grimm.
Grimm is not coming back. He felt he had the job and then got a call saying Tomlin got it.

I'm still debating Charlie Weis.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:32 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
Grimm is not coming back. He felt he had the job and then got a call saying Tomlin got it..
Yea I know - that's y I said it - but I was just stating that he's the one guy who I think could get the most out of our OL as it is currently constructed.

If we want to go w Kubiak we may have to wait a yr or 2 b4 our OL can really fit his scheme. Turner may be able to work with the current line however, cause it's pretty similar to what he had in SD last yr and he likes to use the more traditional I-formation w a blocking FB and use the run to set up the play action passing game.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OC:
  • Lane Kiffin
  • Gary Kubiak
  • Brian Billick
  • Scott Linehan
  • ***Mike Martz*** - I know he's under contract for another season after this one ends, but if for some strange reason he's available for hire, I say we pursue him. I know people don't want him because he's got a huge ego, but let's face it, the man's a genius. He's produced great offenses with the Rams, Lions, and is starting to with the Niners, and during his tenure with the last two teams he was working with horrible players (from the Lions the only good player was Roy Williams, and now with the Niners he's pretty much just got Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, although he's incorporating his old stellar receiver, Isaac Bruce). I believe that with our players he'd come up with an offense similar to the one he had with the Rams. A quarterback with an accurate and powerful arm, two receivers who can stretch the field (Holmes and Washington), a slot receiver with extremely secure hands (who can also deliver huge blocks), great blocking and receiving tight ends (both Miller and Spaeth, as we saw Spaeth play vs. the Colts), and a fast runningback (Willie), a strong back who delivers hard hits (Mendenhall), and a versatile runningback who is just as good catching the ball as he is running it (Moore). He'd only have to fix the O-Line, conjure some schemes, and we'd be the most feared team in football.

O-Line Coach:
  • Tom Cable - Oakland Raiders O-Line Coach/Interim Head Coach
  • Pat Ruel - USC O-Line Coach (helped create one of college's best offensive lines, and also has experience in the NFL, being with the Packers, Giants, and maybe other teams). Has produced great college O-Linemen like Sam Baker, Ryan Kalil, Chilo Rachal, and others.
  • Mike Markuson - Helped create the O-Lines that oppened holes for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in Arkansas, and has brought on many great players, such as Tony Ugoh.
  • Stacy Searls - Considered one of the best O-Line coaches in the nation.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 AM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
OC:
  • Lane Kiffin
  • Gary Kubiak
  • Brian Billick
  • Scott Linehan
  • ***Mike Martz*** - I know he's under contract for another season after this one ends, but if for some strange reason he's available for hire, I say we pursue him. I know people don't want him because he's got a huge ego, but let's face it, the man's a genius. He's produced great offenses with the Rams, Lions, and is starting to with the Niners, and during his tenure with the last two teams he was working with horrible players (from the Lions the only good player was Roy Williams, and now with the Niners he's pretty much just got Frank Gore and Vernon Davis, although he's incorporating his old stellar receiver, Isaac Bruce). I believe that with our players he'd come up with an offense similar to the one he had with the Rams. A quarterback with an accurate and powerful arm, two receivers who can stretch the field (Holmes and Washington), a slot receiver with extremely secure hands (who can also deliver huge blocks), great blocking and receiving tight ends (both Miller and Spaeth, as we saw Spaeth play vs. the Colts), and a fast runningback (Willie), a strong back who delivers hard hits (Mendenhall), and a versatile runningback who is just as good catching the ball as he is running it (Moore). He'd only have to fix the O-Line, conjure some schemes, and we'd be the most feared team in football.

O-Line Coach:
  • Tom Cable - Oakland Raiders O-Line Coach/Interim Head Coach
  • Pat Ruel - USC O-Line Coach (helped create one of college's best offensive lines, and also has experience in the NFL, being with the Packers, Giants, and maybe other teams). Has produced great college O-Linemen like Sam Baker, Ryan Kalil, Chilo Rachal, and others.
  • Mike Markuson - Helped create the O-Lines that oppened holes for Darren McFadden and Felix Jones in Arkansas, and has brought on many great players, such as Tony Ugoh.
  • Stacy Searls - Considered one of the best O-Line coaches in the nation.
I like Kubiak for the Offense.

I'm not necessarily ready to boot Z though, I don't know if our line problems are necessarily schematic as much as they are execution.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

pretty good article from the Post Gazette about Arians playcalling.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08317/927137-66.stm
Old 11-12-2008, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
I like Kubiak for the Offense.

I'm not necessarily ready to boot Z though, I don't know if our line problems are necessarily schematic as much as they are execution.
I think it's both....

I want Stacy Searles because the guy has developed some of the better lines in the NCAA.

Or Emil Boures, but I'm sure Emil will be going whereever Russ Grimm gets a shot.

Add to the fact that Ruel I think is overrated because 1, Pac-10 doesn't really have that many good defenses, and he gets to handpick talent.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bring back Russ Grim boys! Kyle Shannahan might not be bad.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
Bring back Russ Grim boys! Kyle Shannahan might not be bad.
Grimm won't come back and he's likely due for a HC job.

If he does, I'll be rooting for him.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After the last two games and the shift in our offensive playbooks, I think Arians stays. However, if he's let go for some reason, here's another candidate: Dennis Green. I know he runs a different type of offense (West Coast, I think), but he's had great offenses wherever he's been. The Cardinals offense right now is what it is mainly due to him. Just a thought. Though in such a case, I think I'd prefer Arians.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:44 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
After the last two games and the shift in our offensive playbooks, I think Arians stays. However, if he's let go for some reason, here's another candidate: Dennis Green. I know he runs a different type of offense (West Coast, I think), but he's had great offenses wherever he's been. The Cardinals offense right now is what it is mainly due to him. Just a thought. Though in such a case, I think I'd prefer Arians.
WCO won't work in the weather we're going to have. I want something similar to what Zorn instilled.

Traditional power running team with traces of WCO Principles in... but not overly powerful.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=coachbio&coach_id=25

This guy could help us get the ball to our tight end playmakers.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

3 OC's I would love to replace BA with:

Ricky Thomas TE coach at Indy
Charlie Weiss HC at Notre Dame
Ken Anderson QB coach for Steelers

Add James Lofton, WR coach for the Raiders, and Greg Napp, OC for the Raiders, to the list.

Last edited by Hines : 11-29-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

I like the thought of Ken Anderson! He knows Ben and what he's capable of, also that he needs a running game.

Does everyone else think that Arians future here has to do with how we do in the post season?