Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
How many times do we see defenders get flagged/fined for hitting the head of the quarterback? And we still see it.

How many times do we see players get flagged/fined for helmet-to-helmet hits? And we still see it.

And so on.

You want to bring up players from a completely different era, go for it. But that's just stupid really, there's a number of differences in the game, the rules, the league, etc. from then and today.

But don't tell me a HOF player like Ronnie Lott is an idiot who couldn't play smart. Give me a break, he would get it right in today's NFL.
Yea............... Thats what he is talking about, the league is changing the rules to make the players play like vaginas.. That is the entire point. I dont get what your trying to say.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43 View Post
That doesnt make sense at all buddy, so by your logic your boss should be able to make you pay him ten bucks anytime he wants for no reason just because it is a very small fraction of your income? Thats ********, how about we think things through before we post.
Well. It's not that the boss is making you pay him. It's that you're taking pens home from the company, and every time they catch you taking a pen, even if they catch you in the act or on the tape, they'll fine you 10 bucks.

There's not NO REASON. jesus. I mean, there's some illogic to it, yes, i'll grant everyone that, but, sometimes you're going to get caught. And yes you'll have to pay if you do something. And sometimes you'll have to pay if you didn't do something. Why? If 90% of the people who get fined have a reason to, and 10% don't, do we stop fining people all together?

Now that makes no sense. Don't ever tell me i don't think **** through before posting. That's never happened before. Check my record.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
I think you're missing the point...

He isn't saying that people should not be fined, just that the league in general is turning into a "pansy" league and that a lot of the newer rules are a bit excessive and take away from what football was.
How many times has Bob Sanders or Anquan Boldin been flagged or fined for unnecessary roughness? Never.

Just because the idiot Steelers annually don't play with enough discipline, somehow that's the league's fault. I guess it's also the league's fault that the Cowboys commit too many penalties, the Saints as well, and so on. Give me a break.

Good coaching includes teaching players how to play without committing penalties. Smart football includes not committing penalties. All the whiners should focus on this than their punishment for breaking the rules.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea............... Thats what he is talking about, the league is changing the rules to make the players play like vaginas.. That is the entire point. I dont get what your trying to say.
Do the players really play like vaginas? Really?

Sure, they play less physically aggressive than 40 years ago, but now, these boys are bigger, stronger, faster, uglier, hit with more power and velocity, and more hopped on testosterone than ever before... If that's what you think being a vagina is. Well... that i guess is the entire point.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How many times has Bob Sanders or Anquan Boldin been flagged or fined for unnecessary roughness? Never.

Just because the idiot Steelers annually don't play with enough discipline, somehow that's the league's fault. I guess it's also the league's fault that the Cowboys commit too many penalties, the Saints as well, and so on. Give me a break.

Good coaching includes teaching players how to play without committing penalties.
Again, you are missing his point entirely. Read what I write.

He isn't saying that the Steelers are being victims, nor that they are getting these fines undeservedly, he is commenting that the league as a whole has become a bit too soft. Or in his terms, it is turning into a "pansy" league.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Polamalu doesn't like it, go play in another football league. Stupid ass whiner.

I'm so sick of these players who break the rules in some way and then ***** about getting fined. **** and get it right instead, you dolts.

Honestly, look at how many players are actually getting fined per week and how many are playing in total.
He didnt get fined. Hes completly right, if you take hitting away from football it loses its essence, its a physicle game and if you cant take a legit hit, you can go play in a leage were you can tend to your vagina in between plays.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

He isn't saying that the Steelers are being victims, nor that they are getting these fines undeservedly, he is commenting that the league as a whole has become a bit too soft. Or in his terms, it is turning into a "pansy" league.
He is only saying it because it is affecting his team right now. There is no way Polamalu would be saying this if Hines wasn't fined.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:22 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
He is only saying it because it is affecting his team right now. There is no way Polamalu would be saying this if Hines wasn't fined.
He was saying it because he was asked about it in an interview.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
Thats just complete speculation. An interviewer asked him a question. He answered honestly.

Troy isn't the type of player to ***** when his team gets screwed. For him to talk like this he has to be extermely pissed about it.

We didn't hear a word from Troy when he got screwed out of an INT against Indy in the 2005 playoff game. He just kept playing. Troy is definately a class act.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
He didnt get fined. Hes completly right, if you take hitting away from football it loses its essence, its a physicle game and if you cant take a legit hit, you can go play in a leage were you can tend to your vagina in between plays.

Now you've just gotten sexist here.

If you're saying the game now isn't physical. You're in no shape to be talking.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
We didn't hear a word from Troy when he got screwed out of an INT against Indy in the 2005 playoff game. He just kept playing. Troy is definately a class act.
I wouldn't call him a class act. But.

I don't think you can speculate on what the man says to the media makes him a 'class act'.

He can be a closet jokester or hater, and the media could never know.

Last edited by awfullyquiet : 10-16-2008 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Except there's nothing pansy about it. Guys are playing faster and stronger than before, and just as physical relative to the era. There are certain rules to abide by, ex. not hit helmet to helmet, no hits to the QBs head, no illegal blocking, and so on. This isn't some damn prison pick-up league, not everything goes. There are different rules, different schemes, different salaries, and different players from the NFL and players of way back when.

But to allude that the NFL has become some sort of two-hand touch league is beyond stupid. Polamalu doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, probably because he's taken too many concussions to his brain ... why, because football is still a very physical sport.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since everybody in this thread is saying vagina, I'm going to say vagina too. Vagina vagina vagina.

The fact that I'm married is really the only thing keeping my life from devolving into that of a 6 year olds.

I don't think the implied correlation here of the Latin word for "sheath" is at all related to the power/speed of these players. The fact is that mentally there are a whole lot more crybabies int he league right now than there were 20 years ago, and Troy is absolutely right.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Next person to refer to a female's anatomy in this thread will find themselves with an infraction. Get your point across some other way.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8vTi...eature=related

what a ***** play

seriously, when a QB is blindsited by a pass rush, the impact is about as strong as the kick of a bull. I think they had a documentary with Joey Porter hitting a dummy with about 5.4 kN

Last edited by Gay Ork Wang : 10-16-2008 at 06:33 PM.
Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
I wouldn't call him a class act. But.

I don't think you can speculate on what the man says to the media as him being a 'class act'.
The fact that you had to go back to his college days to find a late hit proves he is.

You can find a video like that on most guys in this league. Players get caught up in the game and make mistakes like that.

But yes, Troy has been nothing but a class act since coming to Pittsburgh, which is all I've seen of him.

You took the video down?

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:31 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Except there's nothing pansy about it. Guys are playing faster and stronger than before, and just as physical relative to the era. There are certain rules to abide by, ex. not hit helmet to helmet, no hits to the QBs head, no illegal blocking, and so on. This isn't some damn prison pick-up league, not everything goes. There are different rules, different schemes, different salaries, and different players from the NFL and players of way back when.

But to allude that the NFL has become some sort of two-hand touch league is beyond stupid. Polamalu doesn't know what the hell he is talking about, probably because he's taken too many concussions to his brain ... why, because football is still a very physical sport.
Maybe you are taking things a little bit too literally, and are incapable of sensing hyperbole, but by him saying the league is turning into a "pansy" league is not entirely untrue. Nor did he ever say that football is not a physical sport.

Mainly when it comes to the quarterback, it has gotten ridiculous of how you can hit, or not hit, the quarterback. You can't say that it is more violent today than it was a couple decades ago when guys used to suplex quarterbacks to the ground.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
The fact that you had to go back to his college days to find a late hit proves he is.

You can find a video like that on most guys in this league. Players get caught up in the game and make mistakes like that.

But yes, Troy has been nothing but a class act since coming to Pittsburgh, which is all I've seen of him.

You took the video down?
I did.

I figured it was irrelevant, but, doesn't make him any more or less of a class act.

What he 'portrays' to the media is very shallow and not representive of him being or not being a class act. I think it's very speculative on your part.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The thing is look at Dominic Rhodes run last sunday, how he refused to go down. Offensive players are going to go all out, all of the time they dont stop running after one hit, they keep their legs pumping and moving foward. So why is it were taking money from defenders for doing the same thing, namely going all out doing their job. Im not defending cheap hits, but seriously this is FREAKING FOOTBALL. The game where we get those big hits, thats what sundays about (and monday, with instances on thursdays and saturdays). If defensive players have to worry about making big hits, every run is going to turn into a breaks five tackles, 56 yard run. You tell them Troy, this thing is out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
I did.

I figured it was irrelevant, but, doesn't make him any more or less of a class act.

What he 'portrays' to the media is very shallow and not representive of him being or not being a class act. I think it's very speculative on your part.
What, in your opinion then, classifies as a class act?

Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Not making headlines instantly makes you a class act?

Warrick Dunn is a class act, Polamalu is not.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:36 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Witten is a class act. Pacman Jones is not

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:37 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

Quote:
Mainly when it comes to the quarterback, it has gotten ridiculous of how you can hit, or not hit, the quarterback. You can't say that it is more violent today than it was a couple decades ago when guys used to suplex quarterbacks to the ground.
But violence doesn't equal force.

Babies can be violent. Kittens can be violent.

But boys who are 6'2, 235, all muscle, when they're not even violent, they'll still hurt you. No one was as a big or fast back them (sans LT)

Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

You're right on that point, I wouldn't say it's more violent. Some of the stuff that would fly then, defensive linemen being able to club offensive linemen in the head and so on and so on. If you want to compare the NFL of today to football before the advent of the forward pass, and thus say it's a "pansy league," go right ahead I suppose. I think that is a worthless and stupid thing to do, myself.

But the league today, I wouldn't call if pansy in any way. There are big hits every week, gang tackling, and so on. 450-lbs. of Shaun Rogers is falling on quarterbacks, sheesh. I may not agree with every single rule, but serious stuff like clutching facemasks to the possible detriment of a player's health (inside and out of football) must be called imo.

Am I the only one who thinks last season was much, much worse when it came to flags and quarterbacks? Last season was terrible.
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i expect some people to never have a clue about what i'm talking about because they only see what they want to see and argue about what they want to argue about. there's a reason why they are football players and you aren't. they are highly motivated physical type-A alpha dogs who play a game watched by millions of people. every little hand motion and step they make is being watched and criticised. the game is exciting and with your blood pumping sometimes you make contact a second after the whistle. it happens. he wasn't trying to crush the guy's spine. let's call the game honorably and how teams actually perform and by the spirit of the game, and not just because someone appeared to have hit a qb a half second after the ball was released and then do game altering 15 yard penalties. that's just the game though.

money and fines are people's lives. yes they play a game, but when you take a person's money no matter what percentage it is, you are interfering in their livelihood. sit them for a quarter/half/game/season and fine them if its truly flagrant(which i don't think goodell can judge) but just taking their money is just plain dumb. i question their motives. what does it solve? its flagrant enough that they can take their money but nothing else? what kind of standard is that? good/Bad but legal/fineable/bad? what system is that? they didn't even do anything willis mcgahee gets his eye gouged out but they fine hines ward?!? where is the consistancy?!? it's straight up robbery. its the same argument for cops and minorities. if a cop follows a car for 15 minutes, that person is bound to break a minor law more often than a nonminority who is not being followed by cops. it seriously is discriminatory. they need something better than what they have.

belicheck was cheating, ward was being physical and standing inbounds in an area supervised by referees watching his moves and did not get penalized.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote