Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Where Will He Go?
New England 8 10.00%
Minnesota 5 6.25%
Detroit 14 17.50%
Kansas City 20 25.00%
Cincinatti 3 3.75%
Seattle 1 1.25%
San Francisco 3 3.75%
No one will take him 26 32.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2008, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just saw on the ESPN ticker that Culpepper canceled his interview with the Chiefs he has decided to talk with another unknown team?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:29 AM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow, that sucks, I anticipated him being a Chief...
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Wow, that sucks, I anticipated him being a Chief...
PFT is saying the unknown team is Det but that is PFT so who knows.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:22 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/culpepperindetroit_rumors_pers.html

Daunte Culpepper is in Detroit today.

Last edited by WMD : 10-28-2008 at 10:24 AM.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:43 AM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd like to ask Culpepper to define "better".
Old 10-28-2008, 02:00 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my definition of better - Calvin Johnson.

But I don't see why we're trying to sign him. Wasted money. Orlovsky is meh, but we need to see what we have in Stanton.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:17 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3668988

Quote:
Quarterback Daunte Culpepper visited the Detroit Lions Tuesday morning and has initiated contract negotiations following a workout.

Talks are in the beginning stage and Culpepper has not made any salary demands. Culpepper left the Lions facility without agreeing to a contract, but he indicated that he will stay in contact with the team.

On Tuesday morning, Culpepper, who announced last week he was coming out of retirement, notified the Chiefs he is looking at the Lions more than the Chiefs.

The Chiefs contacted Culpepper last week and he was intrigued enough to come out of retirement and consider a visit to Kansas City.

That visit didn't happen, and each side has gone its separate way.

Culpepper labeled his workout with the Lions a good one.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lions WMD View Post
Here's my definition of better - Calvin Johnson.
Calvin Johnson - 77 rec 1,344 yards 9 TD's

Dwayne Bowe - 110 rec 1,507 yards 7 TD's

In one and a half seasons.

:)
Old 10-28-2008, 02:58 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post

Almost the same stats with less Receptions. I would also say Calvin but they are both very good on bad teams which hurts them.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

CJ is a beast but its closer then some people would make it out to be CJ gets alot of hype for being a freakish athlete he is also better then Bo on Madden and now a days that how "some" fans judge players. :)

Last edited by Splat : 10-28-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lions, repeat after me:

R. E. B. U. I. L. D.

Maybe this is just an instinct, but I doubt that Culpepper is a long-term solution.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:51 PM    (permalink
the_legend_killer
Pro Bowler

the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the_legend_killer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Detroit is "better" because he wants a shot at Chilly over in Minnesota.
the_legend_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
CJ is a beast but its closer then some people would make it out to be CJ gets alot of hype for being a freakish athlete he is also better then Bo on Madden and now a days that how "some" fans judge players. :)
You would probably trade Bowe for CJ straight up if you could even if it is close...Both are very good WR's, but I think everyone can admit CJ has a much higher ceiling for how great he can become, measuring the stats right now isn't giving you a clear picture...Bowe has been the clear #1 option at WR since he was drafted and Calvin has just now become that option, both teams have crap offenses and both are probably pro bowlers, Calvin could be exciting enough for Daunte but who knows, I doubt he even has time to sit back there and chunk it deep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Those stats really kill your argument...
Old 10-29-2008, 11:28 AM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Those stats really kill your argument...
I was thinking the same thing
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

I'm not sitting hear and saying Bo is for sure better but people want to make it out to be a lock that CJ is better and I disagree its alot closer then people think.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:59 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm not sitting hear and saying Bo is for sure better but people want to make it out to be a lock that CJ is better and I disagree its alot closer then people think.
It shows Bowe is thrown to more but CJ makes bigger plays. If you were to project Calvin's stats to have 110 receptions he'd have 1920 yards and 13 TDs.
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
It shows Bowe is thrown to more but CJ makes bigger plays. If you were to project Calvin's stats to have 1100 receptions he'd have 19,200 yards and 130 TDs.
I fixed some numbers for you.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:04 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKevin View Post
It shows Bowe is thrown to more but CJ makes bigger plays. If you were to project Calvin's stats to have 110 receptions he'd have 1920 yards and 13 TDs.
If the Chiefs EVER went down field Bo would make bigger plays then he does now but in till Herm and his run,run pass punt O is gone not going to happen.:(
Old 11-01-2008, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Starvsnr
Rookie

Starvsnr hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3676865

He is a Lions now.
Starvsnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 PM    (permalink
mil_brew_fan
Rookie

mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starvsnr View Post
Yeah, two year contract. To say Daunte pulled a Favre would be wrong. It wasn't too long ago Daunte threw for a ton of touchdowns; he still has game, he just has to get in the right system. Being in Oakland or going down to Miami, he was doomed to fail. Now he's in Detroit, which is just as bad, but he's familiar with the NFC North, and he has Calvin Johnson.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If the Chiefs EVER went down field Bo would make bigger plays then he does now but in till Herm and his run,run pass punt O is gone not going to happen.:(
^^This. The style of offense the lions have ran has allowed Calvin to make much bigger plays than Dwayne.

Certainly I'm not arguing over who's potential is higher, because Calvin's physical measurements are better than Bowe's (though it's not like physical measurements mean everything in this game). However, their current production has been about the same, giving that they play in different systems with different surrounding casts.

If you take into consideration that both have different coaches, play books and they almost played different positions for the last 20 odd games or so.

Calvin Johnson was basically a #2 for Detroit. This means, that while he may get less catches he will also get worse coverage (the stats indicate that).

Dwayne Bowe was basically a #1 for KC. He got a lot of looks, but his average goes down as team's start to cover him harder (the stats indicate that).

If I had to pick one, I'd take Calvin Johnson right now - but I don't think it's a for sure thing. How quickly Bowe was able to help that struggling KC offense was a rare thing, and if he can continue that development he could be a special player in this league.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:43 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK Lions fans, do they draft a young QB to be tutored by Kitna and Culpepper or address another area of concern with their first round pick?

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
OK Lions fans, do they draft a young QB to be tutored by Kitna and Culpepper or address another area of concern with their first round pick?
I say no they do not. I hope they go DE and OT in the first round.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:02 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Smart move, save Stanton and don't risk him. Culpepper will play now and Stanton will be the future.