Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 04-20-2007, 06:39 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
Did you guys not read the team forum????? Homosexual behavior towards Brett Favre is encouraged!!
Can you explain your posts in the Off-Topic then???

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
cheesehead10790
Veteran

cheesehead10790 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hmmm this seems like a good time to bring this sorry thread back.

Now explain why TT is the best GM and knows how to draft?

^tek
cheesehead10790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:16 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead10790 View Post
Hmmm this seems like a good time to bring this sorry thread back.

Now explain why TT is the best GM and knows how to draft?
Sorry I can't do that at this moment

Old 04-29-2007, 12:17 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TT is really pissing me off on how he seems to evaluate prospects on 75% character, 22% college production and 3% measurables. His picks could work out - everyone he drafted seems to be a potential starter for us, but I am getting really sick of us trading back to let other teams get the big names and passing up other players so we can pick the guy who did the most charity work.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:20 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
God, I hate those that are being all pissy about this. It's Ted Thompson, give them a chance! Some of them are head scratchers, but come on look at his past drafts, how did they turn out. The man knows what he is doing.
Quote:
To all those bitching about the Packers draft *coughprincefieldercough* please shut it. Thompson got the guys he wanted, have you not seen what the guys he wanted in past years have done. Now I can't say I was expecting those picks, hell I didn't even know who James Jones was, but that's Thompson's style. All of them probably won't turn out, but I have a hard time believing that after those very successful drafts he all of a sudden loses his abilities. Harrell was the right pick at 16 given the situation. Olsen didn't warrent to go that high and WR would have been plain stupid. I was thinking Branch at the time, but I actually like Harrell better.
Stop the hating.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
TT is really pissing me off on how he seems to evaluate prospects on 75% character, 22% college production and 3% measurables. His picks could work out - everyone he drafted seems to be a potential starter for us, but I am getting really sick of us trading back to let other teams get the big names and passing up other players so we can pick the guy who did the most charity work.
This isn't ******* Madden, you don't draft players based on their name recognition.

Ted knows more about evaluating players than any of us so let him do his damn job. Ya'll did this same ******** last year and cried about every move he made until it was apparent that they were actually good moves and then everybody was all over his jock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
This isn't ******* Madden, you don't draft players based on their name recognition.

Ted knows more about evaluating players than any of us so let him do his damn job. Ya'll did this same ******** last year and cried about every move he made until it was apparent that they were actually good moves and then everybody was all over his jock.
The players he drafted were good last year, they were proven against elite competition and they did it for their college careers. Harrell played well his junior year but was injured this year, Jackson really never excelled to the next level like many hoped, and James played solid one year at SAN JOSE STATE

Old 04-29-2007, 12:38 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Vince, I am just stating how I feel and I don't think that I should be negatively repped for it. I feel that Ted Thompson made mistakes in this year's draft and I am not going to say that I think he did a fine job when in reality it's a bit shaky.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
Vince, I am just stating how I feel and I don't think that I should be negatively repped for it. I feel that Ted Thompson made mistakes in this year's draft and I am not going to say that I think he did a fine job when in reality it's a bit shaky.
You've done nothing but ***** all night and it's gotten extremely old....... thanks for the -rep back though. ;)

Quote:
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:46 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
You've done nothing but ***** all night and it's gotten extremely old....... thanks for the -rep back though. ;)
hey no problem :)

Old 04-29-2007, 12:48 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I am simply sick of seeing him draft 1 type of player.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I am simply sick of seeing him draft 1 type of player.
yea, we really need to start bringing in some thugs, enough of these good football players who are good people.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
cheesehead10790
Veteran

cheesehead10790 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

K well even if you assume that his prospects turn out, and that all our trading down was a good thing, why the hell didnt we offer our 4th for Moss. That is a need. TT is way too cheap. Everyone says hes saving it, but for what? He never spends anything. Our key pickup during FA...Frank Walker. Yeaaaa.

^tek
cheesehead10790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead10790 View Post
K well even if you assume that his prospects turn out, and that all our trading down was a good thing, why the hell didnt we offer our 4th for Moss. That is a need. TT is way too cheap. Everyone says hes saving it, but for what? He never spends anything. Our key pickup during FA...Frank Walker. Yeaaaa.
from all accounts GB did offer a 4th rounder, the problem was that Moss wasn't willing to redo his contract for anybody but NE. As far as spending money on FA's, he proved last year that he's more than willing to if he believes the players are worth it. The FA crop this year was extremely poor and the contracts they were getting were outrageous, not good value at all except for a couple players. He also has dished out some big contracts resigning our own players which is where he prefers to spend the money. You don't spend money just because you have it, there's gotta be value you're getting in return. Also, GB being the small market team that they are, does not have unlimited funds like a Dallas or Washington. We can't afford to just simply outbid everybody for players.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
from all accounts GB did offer a 4th rounder, the problem was that Moss wasn't willing to redo his contract for anybody but NE. As far as spending money on FA's, he proved last year that he's more than willing to if he believes the players are worth it. The FA crop this year was extremely poor and the contracts they were getting were outrageous, not good value at all except for a couple players. He also has dished out some big contracts resigning our own players which is where he prefers to spend the money. You don't spend money just because you have it, there's gotta be value you're getting in return. Also, GB being the small market team that they are, does not have unlimited funds like a Dallas or Washington. We can't afford to just simply outbid everybody for players.
I agree with everything but the last part. Being a small market team doesn't hurt our ability to sign FAs. With the cap we have just as much funds as the big markets.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree with everything but the last part. Being a small market team doesn't hurt our ability to sign FAs. With the cap we have just as much funds as the big markets.
With the cap we have just as much room to sign players, not funds. I certainly don't know all the details of the CBA, you'd have to be a lawyer too, but I do know that small market teams were not happy with it because there is still a huge discrepency between the income large market teams are making and what small market teams are making, even with the revenue sharing system currently in place.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
With the cap we have just as much room to sign players, not funds. I certainly don't know all the details of the CBA, you'd have to be a lawyer too, but I do know that small market teams were not happy with it because there is still a huge discrepency between the income large market teams are making and what small market teams are making, even with the revenue sharing system currently in place.
Yeah, but I'm almost positive we have the funds to go up to the cap and beyond. So they have the smae amount to spend. Without the cap we'd be at a huge disadvantage, but with it we are on an equal playing field.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah, all of TT's moves are good moves, like Corey Rodgers in the 4th last year... If you take TT's schlong outcher mouth, and look objectively at the picks, there are certain truisms from this draft that were not there last draft. TT is not infallible. Maybe you are a short memory guy that was still blowing him when he failed miserably to adress the OG situation two years ago. Remember two years ago? Here's a refresher:
Aaron Rodgers-has played under 60 minutes of ball. Still a solid value pick, though. Back-up

Nick Collins-starter, very solid pick

Terrence Murphy-out of game. Not TT's fault, but players now checked for stenosis

Marviel Underwood-promising, but no production yet, back-up

Brady Poppinga-starter, I don't think he's the long-term answer at SLB

Junius Coston-on roster. I think he gets cut this year. Back-up

Michael Hawkins-Cut
Mike Montgomery-On roster. Could be cut this year given Jenkins' progress, back-up

Craig Bragg-cut
Kurt Campbell-cut
William Whitticker-was starter, got cut
11 players, 2 starters, 4 backups. Yep, he "did his job" in 2005. Then he analyzed where he went wrong and put together a great draft in 2006.

Last year, TT took guys that had 30-40 starts and huge production year after year in college. Look at how many games started by Hawk, Colledge, Hodge, Jennings and Spitz. Look at how many tackles by Hawk and Hodge. Look at how many catches by Jennings. Five starters developed, four backups, one IR, one practice squad, and only one guy cut.

Then look at this year, R1 brings a guy who is a good player at DT, but brings him into a DT situation in which he won't be on the field much as a rookie unless Corey Williams gets hurt. With Jolly and Cole back there, why exactly did the Packers need this kid more than Nelson or Meachem? Going BPA is a good strategy, but someone's getting cut this year that will be on another club next year. Maybe he'll cut Jolly and only lose a 6th rounder from last year, or maybe he's gonna get rid of Cole since he didn't bring him in, which is just stupid.

Next is Brandon Jackson, early entrant. In three years of playing, he was healthy one year. Wow. One year of production. He doesn't have amazing speed, strength or size, but he is coming from the Nebraska ZBS like Ahman Green did, so he at least has the chance to contribute more, if he stays healthy.

No one picked Marques Colston until NO did in R7, so maybe James Jones is like that. Over the course of his collegiate career, started half the games he played in and 70 of his 126 catches over his career coming last year. He is versatile, with some passing and running ability, along with some PR skills. He was not a good value. He would have been available in R5. Clowney would have been better here, and was MUCH better in R5. Who gets cut from the WRs now? DD, Jennings, Fergie, Martin, Holiday, Bodiford, Brewster, Francies, Russell, and now Jones and Clowney, not to mention Koren Robinson in September are all on the roster. If the Packers keep 5, DD, Jennings, Martin, Jones and Clowney are going to be the five if TT sets the roster, with maybe Martin getting cut when KR comes back. James Jones wasn't a good value pick, and if MM sets the roster, might not even make the team or might lose his job when KR gets back.

Rouse was a great pick. I love Clowney in the 5th. Getting a perfect ZBS OT like Barbre solid, but BOTH Clowney and Barbre could have been Ben Patrick, and Barbre could have been Kevin Boss. TE no where near as many bodies as WR has. Unless you think Franks, Lee and Humphrey will take the Packers to the playoffs? Maybe you don't care about the post-season and are "building for the future", whatever that means.

For every draft pick that gets cut from a previous draft, it is an admission that guy wasn't the answer for the team. Draft a Barbre and cut a Coston just means you're trying to solve a problem you didn't solve previously.

So, look at picks objectively, give credit where due, but also give criticism where due. TT's first three picks were not value picks, the next three picks were value picks, but a trouble area still not addressed.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:30 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

If TT has struugled at drafting a position I would say it would have to be WE; Bragg and Rodgers didn't make it last year and Jones, IMO, won't make it this year either.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.johbur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where are these two ILBs going to play? Is TT going to knock off Tracy White and Brady Poppinga? Korey Hall is solid in coverage, though he's not too fast. He wasn't even listed by NFLDC, nfl.com and Packers.com took 20 minutes to find out information on him. He was a second team all-american, so why wasn't he listed? Looks like he's coming from a solid program and has had a great career, but who goes? And where are the CBs and the TEs?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by johbur View Post
Yeah, all of TT's moves are good moves, like Corey Rodgers in the 4th last year... If you take TT's schlong outcher mouth, and look objectively at the picks, there are certain truisms from this draft that were not there last draft. TT is not infallible. Maybe you are a short memory guy that was still blowing him when he failed miserably to adress the OG situation two years ago.
completely classless dude, I didn't personally attack you.

And apparently you haven't read my posts in the other discussion thread, if you had you would have read that I don't agree with all of TT's picks, also no GM in the history of the game hits on all of their picks, but TT has a pretty good average.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
johbur
Pro Bowler

You: "Ya'll did this same ******** last year and cried about every move he made until it was apparent that they were actually good moves and then everybody was all over his jock."

Fine: Ya'll that think TT is infallible need to stop giving TT oral gratification.

TT just picked two ILBs in the sixth round, who have good pedigrees, but are the Packers going to a 3-4?

2005 was a mediocre to poor draft. 2006 was a great draft. this year is on the mediocre side with a chance to be poor if all his medical risk cases don't pan out. He has roster pressure at WR, DT and LB, but has done nothing to get the UDFA's he has packed in at CB or TE off the team. What's the point of signing guys (and giving them a signing bonus) and also drafting guys (and giving them a signing bonus) when there are only a certain number of roster spots at each position on the team?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:07 PM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

M1Koter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

[quote=johbur;]
TT just picked two ILBs in the sixth round, who have good pedigrees, but are the Packers going to a 3-4?[quote]

it's the sixth, it's a crap shoot for them to even make the team, were staying on the 4-3

Quote:
Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate

Last edited by M1Koter : 04-29-2007 at 06:12 PM.
M1Koter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:14 PM    (permalink
M1Koter
Rookie

M1Koter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
If TT has struugled at drafting a position I would say it would have to be WE; Bragg and Rodgers didn't make it last year and Jones, IMO, won't make it this year either.
Bragg was a 6th rounder and TT admitted his mistake and rodgers just couldn't catch the ball, no one really expected it, mistakes but not big ones, out of 12 picks or whatever, it's OK to have a couple mistakes

Quote:
Sherman's hitting percentage on draft picks is like Ben Sheets at the plate
M1Koter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yea, we really need to start bringing in some thugs, enough of these good football players who are good people.
Well he tried with Koren Robinson. Maybe he can take some of your new draft picks out for drinks on the town later.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote