Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Singletary is fed up with the teams effort im sure, but if Vernon dedicates himself to getting better, and just does little things like asking the coach "hey, how can I do this better?" Mike Singletary will embrace him, and WANT to teach him.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:57 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It sounds like Mike has been dissapointed with Vernon going half ass since he got to SF. It sounds like it is doing Vernon some good though.

"Coach Singletary told me to go sit down, and after a while, he told me to just take a shower and take it in," Davis said. "He's a good coach. Coach Singletary is an emotional guy, just like myself. He wants to win, and I did exactly what he told me to do. He is the head coach, and I listen to him. He just told me to come in, and I went in."

Davis wanted to talk to his coach after the game, but Singletary advised against it.

"I told him he did not want to talk to me," Singletary said. "I assured him, 'You do not want to talk to me right now.' "

Hope he finally figures it out.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really can't help but root for a guy like Singletary. You know he has the ability to lead a team and he'll handle his players really well, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls in San Francisco. I'm sure he'd get a chance somewhere else, but this is a big opportunity for him.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That actually sounds good to me, I'm hoping he gets it together.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope he does too I don't like busts :(
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:48 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
Cedric Benson cried too...
If I remember correctly, Cedric Benson cried because he was relieved the interviewing and vetting process was over. He found the idea that teams might actually ask him questions about his motivation, his work ethic, and any similarities to Ricky Williams disgusting and offensive.

As far as I'm concerned Vernon Davis > Cedric Benson as far as attitude.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 AM    (permalink
giantsfan
Pro Bowler

giantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairgiantsfan is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I really can't help but root for a guy like Singletary. You know he has the ability to lead a team and he'll handle his players really well, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls in San Francisco. I'm sure he'd get a chance somewhere else, but this is a big opportunity for him.
I wish we had signed him as a LBs coach back when he was first getting into coaching so he could be rising up our system. Just gotta love the man.
giantsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menardo75 View Post
It sounds like Mike has been dissapointed with Vernon going half ass since he got to SF. It sounds like it is doing Vernon some good though.

"Coach Singletary told me to go sit down, and after a while, he told me to just take a shower and take it in," Davis said. "He's a good coach. Coach Singletary is an emotional guy, just like myself. He wants to win, and I did exactly what he told me to do. He is the head coach, and I listen to him. He just told me to come in, and I went in."

Davis wanted to talk to his coach after the game, but Singletary advised against it.

"I told him he did not want to talk to me," Singletary said. "I assured him, 'You do not want to talk to me right now.' "

Hope he finally figures it out.
Personally, I would follow that advice as closely as possible... Made me laugh when I read it.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You can measure a man's forty yard dash but you can't measure a man's...

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

"We are no charity"

<3 mike

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:23 AM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought that was awesome. I wish someone would have done that to T.O. at some points in his career.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Singletary is playing with fire. I understand his reasoning but leave the hardcore scolding and yelling to the HS and college coaches. That shtick gets really old to grown men.
Ask Coughlin about that. He was criticized terribly by his players for being a "tyrant" so he held back a bit and we all know the story after that.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:57 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Singletary is playing with fire. I understand his reasoning but leave the hardcore scolding and yelling to the HS and college coaches. That shtick gets really old to grown men.
Ask Coughlin about that. He was criticized terribly by his players for being a "tyrant" so he held back a bit and we all know the story after that.
Thing is with Coughlin though, he did get the respect of the majority of his players. Those who didn't (Tiki, Shockey) ended up not being part of their superbowl run. Eventually other vets like Strahan bought in and Coughlin could calm down a little.

Right now, the 49ers are a losing football team. Singletary is giving them a much needed kick in the ass and the players who buy in and respect him will be better off for it down the road imo.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He will fix the culture in SF.

Now I see what the team owners saw in him when they interviewed him.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:14 AM    (permalink
papa burgundy
Rookie

papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.papa burgundy is a cocksman.

So far... Vernon AND Singletary(coaching) are both all talk off the field and empty results on it. So I say **** them both until they prove otherwise. For someone who supposedly has the ability to "inspire men" the Niners sure came out flat yesterday. It was nothing different from Mike Nolan.. more bad decisions more blown out losses.
papa burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFbear View Post
If I remember correctly, Cedric Benson cried because he was relieved the interviewing and vetting process was over. He found the idea that teams might actually ask him questions about his motivation, his work ethic, and any similarities to Ricky Williams disgusting and offensive.

As far as I'm concerned Vernon Davis > Cedric Benson as far as attitude.
Oh yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOF48cmR8aY

haha im jk.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa burgundy View Post
So far... Vernon AND Singletary(coaching) are both all talk off the field and empty results on it. So I say **** them both until they prove otherwise. For someone who supposedly has the ability to "inspire men" the Niners sure came out flat yesterday. It was nothing different from Mike Nolan.. more bad decisions more blown out losses.
^^
Someone gets it.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa burgundy View Post
That's what she said

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
I think he can get away with it here cause they're young and in the case of Vernon Davis his mentality is at the highschool or college level. Once they mature and everyone is playing like pros he can back off. I thought it was a breath of fresh air to tell the truth. Heck he played for Ditka and Buddy Ryan he probably knows a thing or two about tough love.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want to see some new Xs and Os on that team. Hopefully he brings in some pressure based scheme, or even a Tampa 2.

I think Willis would thrive in Tampa 2, or a 46 style 4-3 defense. They need a complete overhaul of that defense though. Willis and Clements are nice building blocks, but they need to redo the rest of that defense.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:35 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I think he can get away with it here cause they're young and in the case of Vernon Davis his mentality is at the highschool or college level. Once they mature and everyone is playing like pros he can back off. I thought it was a breath of fresh air to tell the truth. Heck he played for Ditka and Buddy Ryan he probably knows a thing or two about tough love.
Yeah, agreed. You can rule with an iron fist and loosen the grip but you can't start with a loose grip and tighten it.

but he will have to lighten up eventually. Gruden didn't his first few years and he lost the locker room, so to speak. Players were taking shots at him in the media and whatnot.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

how much moneys are the 9ers going to have left once they either trade or release Alex Smith and Vernon Davis?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
how much moneys are the 9ers going to have left once they either trade or release Alex Smith and Vernon Davis?
I'm not sure how much they make but here is the rundown of cap ATM. I'm sure you could do some elementary math and figure that out.

Tampa Bay $26.30 million
Kansas City $22.74 million
Green Bay $20.04 million
Miami $15.33 million
Cincinnati $11.80 million
Buffalo $9.78 million
New Orleans $8.56 million
N.Y. Giants $8.12 million
Philadelphia $7.60 million
Atlanta $7.28 million
Tennessee $7.05 million
San Francisco $6.55 million
Denver $6.45 million
Dallas $6.27 million
Carolina $6.24 million
Jacksonville $5.95 million
Seattle $5.95 million
Cleveland $5.45 million
Indianapolis $5.32 million
New England $3.53 million
Houston $3.52 million
Oakland $3.44 million
Minnesota $2.60 million
San Diego $2.55 million
Arizona $2.39 million
Pittsburgh $2.21 million
Baltimore $1.99 million
Detroit $1.99 million
N.Y. Jets $1.79 million
St. Louis $1.74 million
Washington $1.48 million
Chicago $318,000

I'm tempted to make a thread with these numbers. I don't really want to hijack.

Last edited by Bruce Banner : 10-27-2008 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

They should go after Julius Peppers in FA.

I know Peppers isn't the greatest pass rusher in the world, but Id love to see a rebuilding project in SF with a 4-3 defense with Peppers on the line, Willis at MIKE and Clements at CB. Thats 3 nice building blocks to feed off of.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:45 AM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
Alot...probably in the 30-35 mil range.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote