Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
Alot...probably in the 30-35 mil range.
This can't be right.

Right now = San Francisco $6.55 million

I doubt they are making 30 mil a year between them.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:55 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last I read, cutting Alex will save them $7M.

And also when they shitcan Jonas Jennings, there will be a considerable savings as well.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team's a mess, they cant rush the QB (as was mentioned), the QB situation is a total disaster, no real receivers. As for what Singeltary can do Rick Pitino when coaching the Celtics made the classic comment "Larry Bird isnt walking through that door..........". Well Richard Dent, Dan Hampton, Wilbur Marshall..arent walking through that door either.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:00 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Props to Singletary for coming in and not taking any guff. Few coaches have the balls to pull that kind of act, and maybe it will set a precedent for the rest of the league. He took control, showed that those types of actions won't be accepted, and gained the respect of all the right players on his team. Players like VD are becoming more and more common, and that needs to change. Maybe something can be saved of his young career, but it isn't going to happen when he's such a dumbass. He has done absolutely nothing in his career to act the way that he does. He was a 6th overall pick who has been a bust, but acts like he is a stud.....he needs to get his head on straight and Singletary is helping him do that.

I think many players around the league would like to play for a guy like that also. Other franchises will have taken notice, as will have other players who want a team/winning attitude, as well as the credability that comes with being one of the best LBs of all-time. He demands respect and accountablility from all his players. Shouldn't be any other way....I really hope he is around long term as i want to see what he can do. You knew when he was a LB coach that he had it in him.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM    (permalink
MasterShake
Rookie

MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.MasterShake could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
This can't be right.

Right now = San Francisco $6.55 million

I doubt they are making 30 mil a year between them.
I'm pretty sure we have more than 6.55 mil under the 2009 cap right now.
MasterShake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
I'm pretty sure we have more than 6.55 mil under the 2009 cap right now.
The person that calculates these numbers is never wrong.....ever.

If it's not that exact number it is very close to that.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think what MasterShake meant earlier is that SF will be 30-35M under next year, not that losing VD + Alex = 30-35M
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Props to Singletary for coming in and not taking any guff. Few coaches have the balls to pull that kind of act, and maybe it will set a precedent for the rest of the league. He took control, showed that those types of actions won't be accepted, and gained the respect of all the right players on his team.
That won't win you games.

Quote:
Other franchises will have taken notice, as will have other players who want a team/winning attitude, as well as the credability that comes with being one of the best LBs of all-time. He demands respect and accountablility from all his players. Shouldn't be any other way....I really hope he is around long term as i want to see what he can do. You knew when he was a LB coach that he had it in him.
I didn't. Sure he was smart. But i can name around 8 LB's who are better than mike singletary, with all the talent he had around him, i can make an argument that he's still outside the top 10... and being that good, number one, doesn't earn you respect... he needs to be able to produce what nolan couldn't... because, lets face it, he's still a relatively new coach. I want to know if he can make adjustments correctly. If he can scheme to his players strengths and his opponents weaknesses... I'm honestly a little skeptical.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

This isn't politics. You can't just put a good speaker in charge and surround him with people to make up for his complete lack of experience.

*cough*

Singletary will probably be unable to steer the ship towards a division title (a decent starting goal) and end up walking the plank like Nolan.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:53 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
That won't win you games.

I didn't. Sure he was smart. But i can name around 8 LB's who are better than mike singletary, with all the talent he had around him, i can make an argument that he's still outside the top 10... and being that good, number one, doesn't earn you respect... he needs to be able to produce what nolan couldn't... because, lets face it, he's still a relatively new coach. I want to know if he can make adjustments correctly. If he can scheme to his players strengths and his opponents weaknesses... I'm honestly a little skeptical.
Not having control of your players won't win you games either, and gaining their respect can bring a team together and get guys to play hard for you, which wins games. Obviously there are other factors, but don't simply respond with 'that won't win you games', thanks for stating the obvious. Players want to play for someone who is passionate and shows heart, equality, and makes people accountable. Not all players obviously, but if you want a team atmosphere, it is a good place to start as any. We all know he has a lot to prove still, but for a first game he made an impact. They lost brutally, no doubt, but at least something came out of it. Most coaches learn early, so we'll see where things go from here.

Sooo, you can name 10 LBs better than him in the history of the NFL....and your point is what? I'll change my wording if it makes you feel better - He is probably one of the top 25 LBs in the history of the NFL, has been a part of some dominant defenses, coached some dominant players as a LB coach, and that should probably bring a level of respect from the players that will lead them to listen to what he has to say, and that they may learn something about what it takes to be a great player/team. Whether you think players will respect him for that or what he did last game is your opinion, but for a young coach to come in and make an impact like that does do something for the better good of the team and creates a feel in the room. Again, obviously he has to win games to go further, so your not really stating anything no one new, before or after there last game, but my point is that at least something posive came out of a bad game. He doesn't have the most talent (QB especially), i want to see what type of players he brings in and their philosophy.

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is going to make the best coors light commercial ever. His rant on VD was badass.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 703SKINS202 View Post
This is going to make the best coors light commercial ever. His rant on VD was badass.
That rant was embarrassing. You don't throw players under the bus publicly. If the Niners fail because of ANY coaching, I wouldn't care if VD went to the media and **** all over the coaching staff.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
Not having control of your players won't win you games either, and gaining their respect can bring a team together and get guys to play hard for you, which wins games. Obviously there are other factors, but don't simply respond with 'that won't win you games', thanks for stating the obvious. Players want to play for someone who is passionate and shows heart, equality, and makes people accountable. Not all players obviously, but if you want a team atmosphere, it is a good place to start as any. We all know he has a lot to prove still, but for a first game he made an impact. They lost brutally, no doubt, but at least something came out of it. Most coaches learn early, so we'll see where things go from here.
You can be tough on your players all you want... You can have their respect... at the end of the day, they want to win, if you can't provide them what they want, there's no way they'll respect you on a professional level. I do not see Samurai, as much as i personally respect him as a person, a coach, and a human, as being able to do this job yet.

Quote:
Sooo, you can name 10 LBs better than him in the history of the NFL....and your point is what? I'll change my wording if it makes you feel better - He is probably one of the top 25 LBs in the history of the NFL, has been a part of some dominant defenses, coached some dominant players as a LB coach, and that should probably bring a level of respect from the players that will lead them to listen to what he has to say, and that they may learn something about what it takes to be a great player/team. Whether you think players will respect him for that or what he did last game is your opinion, but for a young coach to come in and make an impact like that does do something for the better good of the team and creates a feel in the room. Again, obviously he has to win games to go further, so your not really stating anything no one new, before or after there last game, but my point is that at least something posive came out of a bad game. He doesn't have the most talent (QB especially), i want to see what type of players he brings in and their philosophy.
He coached in Baltimore for one year. Hardly anything more than getting your feet wet. He's coached Spikes and Willis for a year and a half... Hardly anything to say "he coached good LB's"... As far as a defensive coach. Mike Nolan is better than Singletary right now. As far as botching the situation in the past, Singletary cannot make up for that, he can be better than nolan... but that doesn't change the situation that he's in which is a no-win situation... i don't care how hard you are on your players or how soft you are... it will not matter if you can't perform from the sidelines.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Quote:
That rant was embarrassing. You don't throw players under the bus publicly. If the Niners fail because of ANY coaching, I wouldn't care if VD went to the media and **** all over the coaching staff.
Honestly, are you just saying this to stir up stuff, or do you really believe it. Cause VD is a petulant little *****. What Singletary did was best for him.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First part of the first sentence

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Whether the union actually occurs is questionable. But the San Francisco 49ers want to talk to Condoleezza Rice about a high-level position within the organization, and the United States Secretary of State is interested in listening.

Rice could be a perfect candidate to become the 49ers president, helping the team try to procure the new stadium they desperately need.

One high-ranking 49ers official said last week, “If she’s interested in talking to us, I’m interested in talking to her.” Rice has told friends as recently as last week she would love to become president of an NFL team.

Even better, she is planning to return in January to Stanford, where she served as provost from 1993 to 1999. The two sides were trying to connect over the weekend, and both sides think the issue is worth exploring.

Rice is an enormous football fan who once aspired to be commissioner, before Roger Goodell succeeded Paul Tagliabue. She followed the Cleveland Browns while growing up in Alabama, and then later moved to Denver, where she became a Broncos fan. Rice even dated former Broncos wide receiver Rick Upchurch and hosted the baby shower for the wife of former Broncos nose tackle Rubin Carter when she was pregnant with baby Andre, who since has gone on to become a standout defensive end for the Washington Redskins.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/26/49er...doleezza-rice/

Old 10-27-2008, 02:24 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This isn't politics. You can't just put a good speaker in charge and surround him with people to make up for his complete lack of experience.

*cough*

Singletary will probably be unable to steer the ship towards a division title (a decent starting goal) and end up walking the plank like Nolan.
yes, but if he surrounds himself with a staff that is very experienced and successful, he will be able to succeed

and you can't not like a guy for not following the failing path/methods of his predecessor

*cough*
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
yes, but if he surrounds himself with a staff that is very experienced and successful, he will be able to succeed

and you can't not like a guy for not following the failing path/methods as his predecessor

*cough*
1. If he has to surround himself with others to make up for his lack of knowledge, he doesn't need to be a head coach.
2. I don't like him for his intended methods/paths because they too are destined to fail.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
1. If he has to surround himself with others to make up for his lack of knowledge, he doesn't need to be a head coach.
2. I don't like him for his intended methods/paths because they too are destined to fail.
like coughlin?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
like coughlin?
I think we underrate Coughlin a lot, especially around here.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
I think we underrate Coughlin a lot, especially around here.
isnt coughlin the same "tyrant"?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
1. but said assistants aren't necessarily good at running a whole team, as has been seen many times in the past, so they need a figure at the top to run the team while they do what they are best at

2. so rather than the possibility of positive change, you would like to see them stay in the same system, with the same decisions that have been failing for a while, albeit just a new coach? I don't understand...
Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
isnt coughlin the same "tyrant"?
I don't see Singletary lightening his grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowatreat54
1. but said assistants aren't necessarily good at running a whole team, as has been seen many times in the past, so they need a figure at the top to run the team while they do what they are best at

2. so rather than the possibility of positive change, you would like to see them stay in the same system, with the same decisions that have been failing for a while, albeit just a new coach? I don't understand...
1. Running a team? A guy that walks around saying good job or do better? Because that's all I'm seeing at this point. He doesn't even motivate, as you can see by their performance last week.
2. Nolan got a bad wrap. Was in a terrible situation and made choices that most others saw as "acceptable" at the time.

I guess you have to blame SOMEONE when things are going bad.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:36 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
I don't see Singletary lightening his grip.

1. Running a team? A guy that walks around saying good job or do better? Because that's all I'm seeing at this point. He doesn't even motivate, as you can see by their performance last week.
2. Nolan got a bad wrap. Was in a terrible situation and made choices that most others saw as "acceptable" at the time.
1. I also base all my judgments on a week at the helm and one game
2. I was referring to the whole system/administration, not just Nolan, who did fall into a crappy situation *cough* because anyone expecting a miraculous turnaround is very dumb
Old 10-27-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
1. I also base all my judgments on a week at the helm and one game
2. I was referring to the whole system/administration, not just Nolan, who did fall into a crappy situation *cough* because anyone expecting a miraculous turnaround is very dumb
1. His team didn't rally behind him or support him when he really needed them most (the early stages of his career). A bad sign of things to come.
2. Lets squash it now to prevent infractions.