Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-01-2013, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Dude we're talking about a program that has literally been around for a decade.
Yeah, but when he got to FIU it was only five years old and it was there third year of division one football. It takes time to build a program to become a winning one which becomes bowl eligible. He left that program in far better shape then a found it. The facilities being one of the biggest things he changed.

Quote:
Yes, they absolutely are. This is how the job market works in major athletics. He'll need to reprove himself before making the jump from offensive line coach to head coach at a BCS program.
I expect AD's aren't going to hold the conflict between him and Pete Garcia, who in Miami is not seen as the best AD, and will judge him based on what he built at FIU. His coaching title now has nothing to do with how good or bad of a coaching candidate he is. If he had stayed at Miami before going to Alabama he would've had the Assistant Head Coach title, he took a demotion so he could work with Saban and coach at Bama. He's still highly respected as a head coaching candidate and won't have to build another program like FAU to prove he's worthy of bigger coaching jobs.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah I wouldn't worry. USC frankly can't afford to pay a coach the 6-7 million a year it would take to get Gruden.
I think they definitely could afford it. Pete was close to that mark by the time he left...but yeah, I would just prefer not to go down that trail. Bunch of fans that don't know enough about football creaming their pants over him.

The guy would do crazy damage on the recruiting trails and what not, but there is no way he would be able to expect his kids to comprehend his offensive schemes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What he built? He didn't build ****. He made two bowls crappy bowls playing in the Sun Belt, then had an awful season, and left behind a terrible team for Ron Turner.

Are you Mario Cristobal or somthing?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Jcn92
Veteran

Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jcn92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What he built? He didn't build ****. He made two bowls crappy bowls playing in the Sun Belt, then had an awful season, and left behind a terrible team for Ron Turner.

Are you Mario Cristobal or somthing?
When he got there the weight room was in the basketball arena and there stadium was pretty much just metal bleachers. While he was there the built an actual stadium and added a weight room that at the time was one of the biggest in the country. The infrastructure of the program is completely different from when he got there, it's been upgraded. This FIU season has nothing to do with Cristobal, you can't blame the effects of a regime change on the previous head coach. He got the Pitt and Rutgers offers for a reason, and he isn't any worse of a coach than he was when he got those offers. Your original point was that he had a losing record and poor overall record as a head coach and that's why bigger schools wouldn't hire him. He had a losing record and poor overall record when he got offers from BCS conference schools. School's didn't hold the win loss record against him then because they saw what he had done at FIU, how he had turned it around, and how he's a talented head coach who could succeed at a bigger school.

Last edited by Jcn92 : 11-01-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Jcn92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:51 AM    (permalink
DcmRulz
Pro Bowler

DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DcmRulz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

USC interviewed Lovie Smith

Hackenberg vs Morris!
FIRE UP THE KD CANNON!
DcmRulz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kinda like the idea of Lovie at USC. He doesn't really fit the SoCal mold, but he's laid back like Carroll was, he's a smart guy, he can handle the media, and I think he'd get a great staff around him that can recruit.

Plus it would just be fun to see what he could do.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:10 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DcmRulz View Post
Quote:
Still, heís a well-known coach who has taken a team to the Super Bowl, so itís easy to see why USC would be interested.
So isn't Bill Callahan, why not give him a call?
MassNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:59 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The stuff with Lovie never happened, his brother came out and said that is false. I personally think he would be a horrible hire, and that has nothing to do with how I think he is as an NFL coach. His defense is very complex, he is a Tampa 2 guy like Monte was...and Monte said that he just couldn't teach those guys what he needed to in limited time.

Lovie also doesn't strike me as someone who would be a great recruiter, USC recruits itself but you gotta have a little energy...Pete was laid back, sure...but the guy had great energy to him and was full of excitement.

According to one of our insiders Haden's top 3 is

1) Petersen
2) Sumlin
3) Franklin

But now all this stuff has come out about us offering a contract to Gruden, and blah blah blah. I would be happy with any of those 3. Supposedly Petersen has said that hes ready for a new challenge so I like our chances there. I kinda doubt Sumlin would leave for anything but the NFL, but I guess I don't know how he feels about the SC job. He would be a rockstar in LA. Franklin I think is a great coach, but is the SC job too big for him right now? Hasn't really beat anyone noteworthy even though he has made Vandy respectable...he just seems to beat ****** teams.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.

Last edited by SickwithIt1010 : 11-03-2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 PM    (permalink
Punisher
Veteran

Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Punisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/v/mpS73k_mnf4
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
Troy Smith went on that diet before the NC game. Really did wonders.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:01 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Coach O is winning me over. Obviously he has to finish strong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they remove his interim tag even if its like a 2 year deal.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
Coach O is winning me over. Obviously he has to finish strong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they remove his interim tag even if its like a 2 year deal.
If he can get some great coordinators he might be fine. Definitely knows how to bond with his players. I'd worry he wasn't detail oriented enough for game days.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MassNole is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
If he can get some great coordinators he might be fine. Definitely knows how to bond with his players. I'd worry he wasn't detail oriented enough for game days.
Are we forgetting how pathetic he was at Ole Miss?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:43 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole View Post
Not me. I was trying to be nice to sick. Plus it would be funny for USC to suck for a few more years.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:07 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
I agree, thats the consensus around USC. I might just be just getting emotional because of how the players are responding to him and how much he loves USC. I do think if we got great coordinators around him he would fit in perfectly.

Quote:
He micromangaged at Ole Miss big time, he was horrible...he took over as the DC there (and really shouldn't have) as well as the HC. If you hear him speak about his time at Ole Miss he has learned from it a great deal. He says he tried so hard to be Pete Carroll and turn it into USC when in reality Ole Miss is not that type of place.

He also stockpiled that team with talent for Nutt, he recruited very well...he just tried to do way to much.

Quote:
Not me. I was trying to be nice to sick. Plus it would be funny for USC to suck for a few more years.
If he gets great coordinators and lets them do their jobs, he would be fine. Like I said, he is becoming more the emotional favorite, and the recruits absolutely love him. He is most of their choice to become the new HC but would be fine with him being on the staff.

I'm still in the position where Petersen is my first choice to be the HC as long as Coach O stays (which he would). However, I think its just getting to the point where I would not be upset if Coach O got a shot.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2013, 11:42 AM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Quote:
He micromangaged at Ole Miss big time, he was horrible...he took over as the DC there (and really shouldn't have) as well as the HC. If you hear him speak about his time at Ole Miss he has learned from it a great deal. He says he tried so hard to be Pete Carroll and turn it into USC when in reality Ole Miss is not that type of place.

He also stockpiled that team with talent for Nutt, he recruited very well...he just tried to do way to much.

More likely he's trash as a HC but a good position coach.

http://network.yardbarker.com/colleg..._head_14974349

I mean really rewarding them for being 3-1?

Last edited by MassNole : 11-05-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
More likely he's trash as a HC but a good position coach.

http://network.yardbarker.com/colleg..._head_14974349

I mean really rewarding them for being 3-1?
They are 2 missed field goals away from being 4-0. They lost a tight game against Notre Dame running out a bunch of walk on's.

Stop being a ******* douche, just to be a douche.

FSU is relevant again so you're able to talk down on everyone...comical.

Quote:

Last edited by SickwithIt1010 : 11-05-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:44 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Texas hires Arizona State AD Steve Patterson.

Cue the Todd Graham to Texas rumors in 3.....2.....1....

Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

How did they not go with Oliver Luck?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Quote:
They are 2 missed field goals away from being 4-0. They lost a tight game against Notre Dame running out a bunch of walk on's.

Stop being a ******* douche, just to be a douche.

FSU is relevant again so you're able to talk down on everyone...comical.
He is literally the worst coach who lasted more than 1 season at Ole Miss since World War I with a mind bogglingly bad 10-25 record when the coaches he was sandwiched by each won about 60% of their games. So really why should anyone but the biggest USCw homer believe he's anything but a god awful head coach who has never even been trusted to be a defensive coordinator in his career?

Making him a head coach is just asking to stay irrelevant another 5+ years, but then again this is a school who has made 1 good hire in 30+ years.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:05 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
He is literally the worst coach who lasted more than 1 season at Ole Miss since World War I with a mind bogglingly bad 10-25 record when the coaches he was sandwiched by each won about 60% of their games. So really why should anyone but the biggest USCw homer believe he's anything but a god awful head coach who has never even been trusted to be a defensive coordinator in his career?

Making him a head coach is just asking to stay irrelevant another 5+ years, but then again this is a school who has made 1 good hire in 30+ years.
You have no room to call ANYONE a homer...you are the definition of a homer, and a ridiculous one at that. If you could you would wear it right in the tush from Bobby Bowden.

The funny thing is that we are never irrelevant...even in down years because USC has a history. When FSU sucks, no one gives two ***** about em.

FSU can't hold USC's jock...stop kidding yourself. Like I said, you guys are good for the first time since the ******* 90's and you think you can talk down on the historic powers of CFB (that includes Miami). **** is comical.

Quote:

Last edited by SickwithIt1010 : 11-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:07 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

Quote:
You have no room to call ANYONE a homer...you are the definition of a homer, and a ridiculous one at that. If you could you would wear it right in the tush from Bobby Bowden.

The funny thing is that we are never irrelevant...even in down years because USC has a history. When FSU sucks, no one gives two ***** about em.
The #2 team in the country sucks?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:09 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
The #2 team in the country sucks?
When did I say they suck right now? I said WHEN they suck, which was like ummm...the whole 2000's pretty much.

I swear you are related to 49erNation.

Quote:
Old 11-05-2013, 01:13 PM    (permalink
MassNole
All-Pro

If we want to talk historic powers, then well it becomes important to realize no team in CFB has had more consecutive winning seasons or gone to more consecutive bowl games than FSU and in a couple of short years will set the national records for both.

Then there is the whole matter of a longest running dynasty in the history of the sport that no team has ever come close to matching as well as being home to the winningest coach in the history of the game. But yeah USCw was good in the 60's and 70's, sucked for 25 years, cheated to be good again for a few years, and then is back to sucking.

And really what is the obsession with defending a woman beater?
Old 11-05-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
If we want to talk historic powers, then well it becomes important to realize no team in CFB has had more consecutive winning seasons or gone to more consecutive bowl games than FSU and in a couple of short years will set the national records for both.

Then there is the whole matter of a longest running dynasty in the history of the sport that no team has ever come close to matching as well as being home to the winningest coach in the history of the game. But yeah USCw was good in the 60's and 70's, sucked for 25 years, cheated to be good again for a few years, and then is back to sucking.

You guys are still the ugly step brother in Florida.

Longest Dynasty in CFB? and what did you do with it? You guys have a whopping 2 national titles.

Edit: Holy ****, even Florida has more...they really are the 3rd most historical program in Florida...wow.

Quote:

Last edited by SickwithIt1010 : 11-05-2013 at 01:17 PM.