Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-12-2010, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
Al Golden has accepted the University of Miami job.
it is a nice pick up and hire overall
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
I'd take Muschamp too, but I still agree with Voodoo.

You have Florida which, right now, is a Top 5 coaching situation to go into. There's a lot of talent already on the team, you have the haven of talent to recruit from that Florida puts out annually, and the SEC East is down. 99% of the coaches in the NCAA should've wanted that job.

Then you have Vandy... Yeah...

So while Muschamp is superior to Malzahn, in my view, I don't think the difference is too great between them. On the other hand, Florida is miles above Vandy. So the fact that Vandy was able to hire a guy who's a similar caliber to the hire Florida made despite the difference between the two schools makes Vandy's hire more impressive.
I understand this point. I think Muschamp is a great hire and i would love the hire for anyone....but Malzahn is probably a much better coach than anyone expected Vandy to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:52 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Randy Shannon to Texas as DC, such a beastly hiring

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Randy Shannon to Texas as DC, such a beastly hiring
This happened? or are you saying it would be?

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

its rumored, i would bet it happens

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
its rumored, i would bet it happens
i could see that, im sure texas would be stoked, considering their current situation.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2010, 10:25 AM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pitt has reportedly interviewed Oklahoma State Offensive Coordinator Dana Holgorsen to be their new Head Coach. He is Athletic Director Steve Pederson's #1 choice. Other name being mentioned as being "seriously" considered is Brady Hoke.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5915527

Malzahn isnt going anywhere.

Quote:
Old 12-13-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like a bad move to me. Malzahn's offense could falter without Newton, and 3 million a year is a ton for a guy with no head coaching experience.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:17 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lol. Poor vandy.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:42 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vandy is almost a no-win situation though. It would be very difficult to raise your stock as a coaching candidate at Vanderbilt.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Vandy much harder to win at than Stanford or Northwestern? Maybe it is, but if you get them to .500 a few times I think that would be a huge profile boost.

Either way, it's 3 mil a year, and if you suck nobody will hold it against you.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:56 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

I'd imagine he could be a candidate for the Michigan job if they fire Rich Rod and can't land Harbaugh

Quote:
Old 12-13-2010, 03:58 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Is Vandy much harder to win at than Stanford or Northwestern? Maybe it is, but if you get them to .500 a few times I think that would be a huge profile boost.

Either way, it's 3 mil a year, and if you suck nobody will hold it against you.
I'd say its harder due to the fact thy are in the SEC. Same types of schools though. Stanford being in Cali helps too.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2010, 04:07 AM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like Dana Holgorsen will spurn Pitt and choose WVU. Apparently Bill Stewart will step down after the bowl game regardless of outcome and Holgorsen will take over as the new head coach. Just rumors now but I think there is a really good shot it happens.

I would be ecstatic if it does. I was dreading Pitt getting him as their HC and now because of our new AD Oliver Luck and his ties to Holgorsen it looks like he will be coming to Morgantown!

This team is in desperate need of an offensive identity and Holgorsen is one of the hottest coordinators in the country. Muschamp was considering him for the OC job at Florida apparently. Anyway, we will finally have a high powered offense which we have been missing ever since RR left.

Speaking of RR, I would love it if he took the Pitt job. It would do wonders for both schools nationally.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Arsenal
Rookie

Arsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairArsenal is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-mountaineers/

Dana Holgerson to WVU is not a done deal, but very close. Only way it doesn't get done is if something completely falls apart. It has been rumored for awhile around here.

Holgerson will be offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting in 2011 and will take over the head coaching job in 2012 with a five year contract.

I love it. After Rich Rod, I had become pretty spoiled and absolutely hated watching our new offense. Holgerson's offense should be sick next year, we lose Devine and Sanders but still have tons of weapons.

Also glad to see our new AD Oliver Luck means business. No way Pastilong would have the ability to pull something like this off. Just wish Oliver was a couple years earlier so we might have had a shot at his son Andrew Luck!
Arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 View Post
I'd imagine he could be a candidate for the Michigan job if they fire Rich Rod and can't land Harbaugh
I doubt we fire Rod unless we're sure we can get Harbaugh. Also, no way Michigan even interviews someone without prior head coaching experience.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 PM    (permalink
703SKINS202
Pro Bowler

703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.703SKINS202 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-mountaineers/

Dana Holgerson to WVU is not a done deal, but very close. Only way it doesn't get done is if something completely falls apart. It has been rumored for awhile around here.

Holgerson will be offensive coordinator and head coach in waiting in 2011 and will take over the head coaching job in 2012 with a five year contract.

I love it. After Rich Rod, I had become pretty spoiled and absolutely hated watching our new offense. Holgerson's offense should be sick next year, we lose Devine and Sanders but still have tons of weapons.

Also glad to see our new AD Oliver Luck means business. No way Pastilong would have the ability to pull something like this off. Just wish Oliver was a couple years earlier so we might have had a shot at his son Andrew Luck!
Everything I've read has Stewart stepping down after the bowl game if we get Hologersen which it looks like we will. They offered to have him be OC in 2011 but Stewart doesn't want to be a lame duck. That's what I've heard.

And yes, I would be very excited for our offense if we sign him. Keep Casteel who is a very good d-coordinator, if not for Mullen and Steward we could have easily won the big east imo. We have a lot of nice weapons on offense and a special qb in Geno Smith. Tavon Austin is another emerging star at the WR posistion where I think he should stay. He has a little Desean Jackson in him. Running game looks strong, the only thing I'm worried about is we have no backup QB's with JJ and Brunetti transferring.

Stedman Bailey 2012 Stat Tracker:
12 Games, 106 Rec, 1501 yards, 23 TD's

Steddy Ambition!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOnISzeG2Ao
703SKINS202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:59 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
I doubt we fire Rod unless we're sure we can get Harbaugh. Also, no way Michigan even interviews someone without prior head coaching experience.
The only reason i said the i could be a possibility because it seems like it wouldnt be that drastic of a change from Rich Rods offense to Malzahns....both require some of the same types of players.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like James Franklin is going to take the Vandy job. I think this is a bad fit on both sides. For James Franklin, he is up for bigger jobs. I would wait for those to pay out before taking Vandy. The team is terrible, fan support is almost non-existent (visiting teams have more fans at games than Vandy does), and academic restrictions hurt. It is easier for school like Stanford and Northwestern because they at least have some football history. Plus, there are so many good prospects in California and Mid-West that good ones slip through the cracks. That isn't the case in Tennessee and Kentucky where Vandy is recruiting.

For Vandy, I just don't know what the hype for James Franklin is. He's never been a head coach and his offenses at Maryland have never been too great. I just don't see what people love about him that makes them think he can be a great coach.

http://www.csnwashington.com/12/14/1...825&feedID=276
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Northwestern didn't have a lick of football history before 1996, and their fans couldn't possibly be any better.

Franklin could be getting buzz because he's a young African American in a sport with very few black head coaches (please spare everyone the political diatribes on both sides). He's also been under some respected head coaches.

From his end it seems obvious. You get the chance to coach in the SEC and who knows when Freidgen will leave. I'd take it too.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:58 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Northwestern didn't have a lick of football history before 1996, and their fans couldn't possibly be any better.

Franklin could be getting buzz because he's a young African American in a sport with very few black head coaches (please spare everyone the political diatribes on both sides). He's also been under some respected head coaches.

From his end it seems obvious. You get the chance to coach in the SEC and who knows when Freidgen will leave. I'd take it too.
I understand that getting an SEC job is great, but Vandy wouldn't be my preference. Mississippi State will open up when Mullen gets a bigger job. Nutt is going to be out of Ole Miss soon. South Carolina and Georgia could be open soon too. At only 38, he has the time to wait for the right job to open up unlike a guy like Charlie Strong last year.

Last edited by jrdrylie : 12-15-2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:09 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

But maybe he never gets that call again. Norm Chow has been a great coordinator for years and he never got the opportunity.

You have to assume that Franklin thinks things are in place at Vanderbilt to win. If that's the case, take the job. Maybe Malzahn is afforded the opportunity to wait longer, but that's a very select group of assistants.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:18 AM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
I understand that getting an SEC job is great, but Vandy wouldn't be my preference. Mississippi State will open up when Mullen gets a bigger job. Nutt is going to be out of Ole Miss soon. South Carolina and Georgia could be open soon too. At only 38, he has the time to wait for the right job to open up unlike a guy like Charlie Strong last year.
Mullen seems to be happy in Starkville and took his name out of the running for jobs as a result. Not sure how long that will last, but that is what has been said
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Mullen seems to be happy in Starkville and took his name out of the running for jobs as a result. Not sure how long that will last, but that is what has been said
I think he was just in the running for Miami and I think Mississippi State is as good or better job than Miami is now. Miami doesn't have it's own stadium, no money, and terrible facilities.