Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Arizona Cardinals Team Forum

Arizona Cardinals Team Forum Discuss the Cardinals

Old 11-09-2008, 01:32 AM    (permalink
iBoldin
Veteran

iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Cardinals Mock Draft 8/08

Been wanting to do one of these for a while. I did four rounds for us, tried to fill out our more glaring needs. Feel free to put out your own.

Round 1 - RB Lesean McCoy, Pittsburgh

I don't usually agree with drafting a future "complimentary back" in the first round, but I would be willing to make an exception for a guy like McCoy. He sort of fell out of favour at the start of the season, but he has played exceptionally well. I think he would learn very well under Edge, he plays a lot like him. I could go Michael Johnson or possibly Jason Smith with this pick if JJ Arrington keeps up his play from the Rams game, but I don't expect him to.

Round 2 - 34 DE/OLB Brandon Graham, Michigan

Every time I've watched this kid, I come away amazingly impressed. He reminds so much of Lamarr Woodley, and I think he could even top him in the athletic department. He's the perfect tweener for our system, and I would be absolutely overjoyed if we got him come April. I'm sure any Wolverine fan can approve of this message. I think consistency could be a bit of a problem, however I don't think it'll pose too much of a problem for him.

Round 3 - OL Max Unger, Oregon

Russ Grimm was apart of a top five offensive line unit in history, and I think it's great he's in Arizona, he's done a good job with an average line. I think Max Unger in a lot of ways represents Russ Grimm, and I think he is a guy who is just an absolute mauler in the trenches. He can play every spot on the O-Line on most occasions, but would probably fit best in either guard spot. I like this pick better then an athletic tackle.

Round 4 -QB Chase Holbrook, New Mexico State

I won't lie, I wouldn't be surprised to see a quarterback here, someone we can possibly develop and hand the ball to in a couple years, if Leinart really isn't the answer. Kurt Warner has been delicious this year, but he's running on empty fuel. I like Holbrook's physical abilities and his attributes, I think he would be a very good addition. Maybe a Graham Harrell in the fourth could be more suitable, but I like this pick here.
iBoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pretty good stuff, there have 3 teams in the playoff hunt right now that drafted complimentary backs in the 1st round recently, Tennessee, Carolina, & Pittsburgh so I'm not opposed to this, especially for a guy like McCoy or Spiller.

Haven't seen Michigan play this year so i don't know anything about Graham but generally they send a couple good defensive players to the draft every year

Right now I'm not thinking Unger lasts til the 3rd, some teams are looking at him as a franchise LT and I definitely think come draft day his is the 1st C off the boards, late 1st to mid 2nd

I agree that a QB in the mid rounds is a strong possibility, I'm just disgusted with Leinart's current attitude, some stories are circulating that in the 2nd half vs the Rams coaches had every intention of bringing in Leinart but go to the bench to grab him and he is fast asleep, so Warner had to finish to the game, I'm 100% positive right now that St. Pierre is the #2 QB on this team and if Kurt goes down Leinart is't going to be getting his name called 1st

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 PM    (permalink
AussieBoy
Rookie

AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.

I'm not sure sure about drafting a RB in round 1. Recent history shows that decent RBs can be had in later rounds, so why not address the Line in the first and RB in the 2nd or 3rd, if required? If J.J. continues his resurrection what's the odds of him and Hightower being used as the complimentary backs? This is JJs last contract year, isn't it? I'll be curious to see what happens there.

What are thoughts on the TE position? It seems something of an obsession with Coach Whis and I get the impression that none of the current crop have the all-round game that he really wants, particularly someone who can block well.

I'm you Fenikz on Leinart, and I've had a man-crush on Harrell since I saw him play on TV last year. LoL. I'm no good at evaluating QBs though.

Last edited by AussieBoy : 11-09-2008 at 07:08 PM.
AussieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 PM    (permalink
iBoldin
Veteran

iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iBoldin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBoy View Post
I'm not sure sure about drafting a RB in round 1. Recent history shows that decent RBs can be had in later rounds, so why not address the Line in the first and RB in the 2nd or 3rd, if required? If J.J. continues his resurrection what's the odds of him and Hightower being used as the complimentary backs? This is JJs last contract year, isn't it? I'll be curious to see what happens there.

What are thoughts on the TE position? It seems something of an obsession with Coach Whis and I get the impression that none of the current crop have the all-round game that he really wants, particularly someone who can block well.

I'm you Fenikz on Leinart, and I've had a man-crush on Harrell since I saw him play on TV last year. LoL. I'm no good at evaluating QBs though.
I think a tight end is a valid argument, only if the value is there, though. If a guy like Travis Beckum falls into our laps in the later part of the second round, I would have no worries about snatching him up there.
iBoldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:37 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stephen Spach was getting a lot of PT last week at TE, he looked really good blocking, don't remember him catching anything though

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80c4a0c7

watch #83 he pushes the DE right into the DT on 2 of the counter plays, Chris Long on the 1st play and Leonard Little on the 3rd play, I can't really tell if he is in on the 2nd play it looks like him going in motion and lead blocking but it could very well be Smith

on the 4th play we are running double TE with an unbalanced line meaning Levi Brown is an eligible receiver, I wonder if Whis has something up his sleeves planned in the future for the big man, and once again Spach just dominating Chris Long

Last edited by fenikz : 11-10-2008 at 12:35 AM.
fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not expecting Arrington to continue his "resurrection." I think RB is a must in the first 2 rounds. It seems destined that we will be picking in the 18+ range so LeSean McCoy, Knowshon Moreno, and C.J. Spiller look like the RB's that could possibly be available there. If the Cards don't want to go RB in the 1st round, I would look at OL help, possibly Jason Smith or Ciron Black.

I would also look at a QB in the 3rd or 4th round and Graham Harrell seems to be a popular pick there.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:43 PM    (permalink
AussieBoy
Rookie

AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.AussieBoy is a cocksman.

Gee, after watching that game tonight, we really need to conjure a running game from somewhere.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:44 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

JJ Arrington is an unrestricted free agent after this season, just fyi.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:27 PM    (permalink
AussieBoy
Rookie

If Warner gets a 2 year extension, where does that leave Leinart?

Do the Cards start seriously looking for another young QB over the next 2 drafts, or do we stick with Leinart and scale the gameplan back to the steelers-esque ground game (in which case we'd need to find one)?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:26 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBoy View Post
If Warner gets a 2 year extension, where does that leave Leinart?

Do the Cards start seriously looking for another young QB over the next 2 drafts, or do we stick with Leinart and scale the gameplan back to the steelers-esque ground game (in which case we'd need to find one)?
It leaves Leinart sitting on the bench where it looks like he belongs so far throughout his career. It's like he doesn't even care. I would begin looking for another young QB in the mid-rounds in the upcoming draft. I'm not labeling Leinart a bust yet, but he's definitely making his way there.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote