Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
Huh, I could've sworn I saw a different gap chart before, but that makes sense. Then again, maybe I confused gaps and techniques.
You might have. This is from my playbook from my OC last season when I coached TEs. Some coaches may call it E gap. Though it would be left or right of the TE. Others define the techniques differently too. But normally it goes in order, A, B, C & D gap.

Center-Guard-Tackle-TE
.........A ......B.........C...D.....Alley

That make sense to you?
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:40 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
You might have. This is from my playbook from my OC last season when I coached TEs. Some coaches may call it E gap. Though it would be left or right of the TE. Others define the techniques differently too. But normally it goes in order, A, B, C & D gap.

Center-Guard-Tackle-TE
.........A ......B.........C...D.....Alley

That make sense to you?
I understand gaps, I just could've sworn I've seen a different lettering system.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I understand gaps, I just could've sworn I've seen a different lettering system.
You have an E gap when you have two TEs to one side. Normally in a goal line formation. You would have that E gap, but if there is a normal formation like I pro right then E gap is the alley.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If u look at what the Dline is doing, how can u see who is doing a good job/bad job

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You have an E gap when you have two TEs to one side. Normally in a goal line formation. You would have that E gap, but if there is a normal formation like I pro right then E gap is the alley.
So say a DE is playing a 7 technique and runs a loop, that's to the D gap?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2008, 01:11 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
So say a DE is playing a 7 technique and runs a loop, that's to the D gap?
No.. It depends how far the loop is as well. I've seen 7 T loop to B gap or even A gap at times. Let's assume it's I pro Right for the offensive's formation.

So the TE is to the right of the formation and the DE is shaded to the TE's outside shoulder ( right shoulder). So the DE is not in the box technically, and is in D gap. If DE loops he is hitting C gap and basically looping in the direction of weakside.

............DE
OO[]OOY
......ABC D

Last edited by NY+Giants=NYG : 11-15-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:16 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
If u look at what the Dline is doing, how can u see who is doing a good job/bad job
Fans looks for technique but in reality you don't know what he is doing. Fans don't have the call, and don't have the DT's keys OR responsibilities in his SPECIFIC system for that given play that his DC has created. Fans don't know if the system is based on scraping or squeeze and spill.

That's comparable to fans saying, that WR ran the wrong route, or always runs the wrong route. That's fan talk because no fan has the WR manuel and thus can't read what the exact steps for the route are. The WR book is a pain in the butt to read, especially if the OC has implemented a pass oriented offense. I have the TE passing tree for the 2004 Broncos and the TE has something like 42 routes!! Each with specific steps and yardages to run. So when you hear fans toss around the statement of a skill player running the wrong route, it's usually they hard it from other fans to the point it's become a fact or they are just talking out of their butt.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
No.. It depends how far the loop is as well. I've seen 7 T loop to B gap or even A gap at times. Let's assume it's I pro Right for the offensive's formation.

So the TE is to the right of the formation and the DE is shaded to the TE's outside shoulder ( right shoulder). So the DE is not in the box technically, and is in D gap. If DE loops he is hitting C gap and basically looping in the direction of weakside.

............DE
OO[]OOY
......ABC D
Outside loop, not inside.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2008, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Fans looks for technique but in reality you don't know what he is doing. Fans don't have the call, and don't have the DT's keys OR responsibilities in his SPECIFIC system for that given play that his DC has created. Fans don't know if the system is based on scraping or squeeze and spill.

That's comparable to fans saying, that WR ran the wrong route, or always runs the wrong route. That's fan talk because no fan has the WR manuel and thus can't read what the exact steps for the route are. The WR book is a pain in the butt to read, especially if the OC has implemented a pass oriented offense. I have the TE passing tree for the 2004 Broncos and the TE has something like 42 routes!! Each with specific steps and yardages to run. So when you hear fans toss around the statement of a skill player running the wrong route, it's usually they hard it from other fans to the point it's become a fact or they are just talking out of their butt.
So u can not read anything from their game?

Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
So u can not read anything from their game?
Technique stuff and obvious stuff, like if he gets beat on the play. But that's like saying something like the team that has the lead when the game ends, wins. lol. So you can see basic stuff, but as far as his keys, and what he is supposed to do, only the person with knowledge of the play called would know for sure.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:23 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

BBD,

Here is mesh

Old 12-03-2008, 10:24 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

It's easier to run it, especially since the redskins run alot of single high safety, ie Cover 3 and Cover 1.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:25 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

whats mesh?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

A passing concept where two skill players basically criss cross each other. You normally teach players to basically rub shoulders or some teach it that you should be able to high five the other player. Very popular passing concept used at ALL levels of football.

We ran it against the redskins last game with Steve Smith and Moss and had a good gain with it. Moss is so small and quick that he can get open, and since we drafted Moss I was waiting and waiting to see this concept with it. So I was happy to see us use it. I mentioned it to BBD, and he asked what it was, so I tried describing it but then realized I had this from my playbook that the OC gave me when I coached last year.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:40 AM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Not really. It's the offensive coordinators scheme. As an oline coach, it's just my job to teach his scheme to the linemen. He's doesn't know anything, really, besides the Wing-T.
When running the Wing-T are you guys going with smaller, quicker linemen to give them a better opportunity to run block and pull?

Also how does runnning the Wing-T affect how your linemen are as pass blockers? Do you get adequate practice and game preparation to work on pass blocking?

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Quote:
A passing concept where two skill players basically criss cross each other. You normally teach players to basically rub shoulders or some teach it that you should be able to high five the other player. Very popular passing concept used at ALL levels of football.

We ran it against the redskins last game with Steve Smith and Moss and had a good gain with it. Moss is so small and quick that he can get open, and since we drafted Moss I was waiting and waiting to see this concept with it. So I was happy to see us use it. I mentioned it to BBD, and he asked what it was, so I tried describing it but then realized I had this from my playbook that the OC gave me when I coached last year.
thanks. u wanna talk about the O alil bit :)

Old 12-03-2008, 10:48 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 View Post
When running the Wing-T are you guys going with smaller, quicker linemen to give them a better opportunity to run block and pull?

Also how does runnning the Wing-T affect how your linemen are as pass blockers? Do you get adequate practice and game preparation to work on pass blocking?
The big reason to use the wing-t is to mash the inepitude of your Olineman. Runners are much more important to this scheme than your OL. But yes lateral movement of a lineman is important in this scheme...however you don't often see Tackles pull ...and due to them blocking down alot in this scheme bigger tackles might be ideal.

Pass blocking is something that is worked in. Since most pass plays out of the base formation require playaction anyways....it's basically a one step pop and sit technique atleast how I've ran in. Or 1 forward 2 back...w/e you wanna call it....we I'd say maybe 10 percent of what you do in practice would relate to pass blocking....and depending on your gameplan you could work it up from there...if you had a feeling you were going to need to pass because the team outmatched you.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
thanks. u wanna talk about the O alil bit :)
Yup go ahead. What do you want to talk about?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

id think id start with blocking and techniques. what do u have to look for in blocking, man to man blocking first i guess

Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
id think id start with blocking and techniques. what do u have to look for in blocking, man to man blocking first i guess
Good stance, alittle wider than shoulder width apart. And then you want to establish the aiming point on the opposing DL player. Then you execute what block the play asks. That's the simple explaination, only because different coaches teach it differently. Then comes your footwork. You don't need to over power the DL player, you can have excellent techinque and skin the cat that way so to speak.

I had a bunch of drills I used with my TEs for run blocking, which I used but I mainly send them with my OL coach and watch them that way. Usually TE corps and OL guys work together during Indy period of practice. Then you usually have the DL corps, OL group, and TE group all go under the chute and practice that way.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

what are the most important techniques?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:07 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

1. Stance
2. Footwork
3. Aiming point

That applys to all the different types of blocks, from drive blocks, down blocks, trap, combo, and cutoff block.

Another thing experts watch is if the guy gets off the ball fast enough. Once the ball is snapped you have to get off the ball and execute the block your supposed to. An important element is sticking with your block. At the lower levels people get to their guy block him for 2 seconds and then let him go thinking they did what they are supposed to do, and meanwhile the play is not done and that guy gets back into the play and makes a tackle.

Happens in the pros too, but good OL units stick with their blocks. They are taught to lock on or fit, and drive him, until your hear the whistle.

Next time you watch a game focus on one OL guy and see how he run blocks. Does he stick to his guy or hit him and let him go after a second or two?
Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

could u kinda describe the most important part of all those blocks?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:16 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
could u kinda describe the most important part of all those blocks?
I would say footwork. You can have the right stance and aiming point, but if your footwork sucks the DL will either knock you on your butt because your initial step is too small, in terms of distance, or too large, and you will off balance.

Some coaches teach 6 inch step while others 8 inch. I normally go for 6 inch step forward for a drive block as an example. But it depends on the OL coach and how he teaches it.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

what is the difference between trap blocks and down blocks?

id guess a drive block is trying to drive him down field, combo blocks 2 guys and cutoff blocks at the knees?