Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockey+Manning=Shocking View Post
Never I have read or heard of any coach that teaches that. I have the Tampa Bay Bucs playbook, and use that as a model of Tampa 2/ C2 zone play.

But from my experience C 2 is zone, so they will be off the Los playing catch technique. Why? Because that gives them time for You, the WR, to come to them, while they are staring at the QB and reading # 2. Usually then once you, as the WR come to them, they will collision you, this gives time for the DL to get pressure on the QB. Then they will knock you off your route, which is funnel you towards the middle, where the LBs are spot dropping, basically covering you long enough to buy time for the DL to get to the QB or rush a through. That's pretty much the theory when it comes to Cover 2 zone play. The Cbs main job is to knock you off your route, and funnel you off towards the middle where the LBs are, while reading the backfield. Now if your RB check releases or free releases, the CB is going to sink, and then cover # 2. All this is making sure that if you do complete the pass someone will be there to rally for a miniminal gain. Excellent theory, but personally not a fan of the Tampa 2 or Cover 2 zone style defense.

This is why you want a undersized defense because the speed involved. That;s why you don't need fast Cbs in this system either. They have to be smart to process all this and good tacklers as well. The safties have to be smart as well and fast to cover over the top just in case the outside WRs get back on their stem of their routes. Hope this explains some of the theory behind it.

The giants run a C2 man aggressive style. So that changes things alot and the theory behind it changes too.
I'm not doubting you know a lot about X's and O's at all I know you do, so thanks for correcting that to me, I'm not much of a defensive coach.

Well, I know a coach that does teach corners to bump first them cover the flats, lol... but I was pretty sure it was like that for some reason, probably Madden :S
Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonraider View Post
I'm not doubting you know a lot about X's and O's at all I know you do, so thanks for correcting that to me, I'm not much of a defensive coach.

Well, I know a coach that does teach corners to bump first them cover the flats, lol... but I was pretty sure it was like that for some reason, probably Madden :S
That's fine, that's why I created this thread. Yeah every coach teaches it different. That's why drafting sooo hard. If I teach something different, and you become a stud player, and I am a pro coach, and have to re teach it, you could possible struggle with the way the team wants it.

This just shows that there are so many coaches and all teach things differently. The theory behind football basically stays the same, it's how they teach it which changes. Not only that the terminology changes too, which is a pain in the butt.

I been in coversations with coaches where I had no clue what they were talking about because they used different terminology for stuff. One example being Dig route vs Hunt route. Or Arrow route vs Shoot route. Same exact routes, but called different things. So if you don't know it your sitting there lost. Now add different techniques to running it and you can see it's a pain in the buttock!

But it's all good. I just like talking Xs and Os. To me that's where the good stuff lies.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What do you mean? You didn't think it was necessary for them to know the know or understand the system?
yea, like what is there to understand

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:32 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
yea, like what is there to understand
LOL. Everything. I'll do OL men first.

How to huddle
Terminology
Formations
How to block 1 running play, which can take up to 2 pages because the play is drawn up against every defensive front given in the DEF Front ID section by the OC.
Audible rules
Understanding of various blitzes, which are all mapped out by the OC

Then you have to learn pass protections.

Base protection for 1 step drop
3 step drop
5 step drop
7 step drop
Playaction pass protection
naked boot pass protection
sprint out pass protection
Roll out pass protection
Screen passes
Goal line protection

Now all those pass protections have to 2 pages again for each because you have to draw it up against each of the fronts. So say if there are 15-20 4-3 fronts, then all those will be included. Then you have to learn it for 3-4, bear, and so on.

TE/WR

How to huddle
Formations
Motion Tags
Outside WR passing Tree
Inside WR passing Tree
Choice routes
Option routes
Blocking assignments for running plays
Scramble Rules
Audible rules
sight adjustment rules

I really wish I can attach power points and PDF because then I could upload professional and college playbooks. I have alot of them. So people can see their playbooks for various teams.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

I will do this if people PM me their email and username, so I know who I am sending it to, I can email them alot of the stuff I can't post due to file issues. If I could post a 300 page playbook I def. would but it's too hard. But I can send stuff to people if they are really curious if they want.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:22 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I will do this if people PM me their email and username, so I know who I am sending it to, I can email them alot of the stuff I can't post due to file issues. If I could post a 300 page playbook I def. would but it's too hard. But I can send stuff to people if they are really curious if they want.
I used to go to a website that had alot of college and pro playbooks, but it got shut down so I wanna see some of these playbooks.

I saw Urban Meyer's Utah playbook which was pretty cool.

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
I used to go to a website that had alot of college and pro playbooks, but it got shut down so I wanna see some of these playbooks.

I saw Urban Meyer's Utah playbook which was pretty cool.
That's the system I coached in. The OC basically used that system that Alex Smith ran and we had that system. In offensive meetings he showed cutups of their offense, and I gotta admit, that offensive system is sweet!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:51 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
LOL. Everything. I'll do OL men first.

How to huddle
Terminology
Formations
How to block 1 running play, which can take up to 2 pages because the play is drawn up against every defensive front given in the DEF Front ID section by the OC.
Audible rules
Understanding of various blitzes, which are all mapped out by the OC

Then you have to learn pass protections.

Base protection for 1 step drop
3 step drop
5 step drop
7 step drop
Playaction pass protection
naked boot pass protection
sprint out pass protection
Roll out pass protection
Screen passes
Goal line protection

Now all those pass protections have to 2 pages again for each because you have to draw it up against each of the fronts. So say if there are 15-20 4-3 fronts, then all those will be included. Then you have to learn it for 3-4, bear, and so on.

TE/WR

How to huddle
Formations
Motion Tags
Outside WR passing Tree
Inside WR passing Tree
Choice routes
Option routes
Blocking assignments for running plays
Scramble Rules
Audible rules
sight adjustment rules

I really wish I can attach power points and PDF because then I could upload professional and college playbooks. I have alot of them. So people can see their playbooks for various teams.
What are scramble rules

btw new Anatomy of a Play videos:

Sproles GW TD Run
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80df3298

and

Westbrooks 71 yard Screen

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80df3285

Last edited by Gay Ork Wang : 01-07-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not true, your LBs are reading usually the guard for a run or pass key. Then you focus on the triangle in the backfield and deduce the RB flow. Once you do that, which all is very, very fast processing you play run and hit the gap. Or if you read pass, which is a kick step by the linemen, you drop to your zone.
Interesting. I suppose that would make draws all that more effective.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Icon

i think reading the RB flow and the guards was exactly what Bulluck said on playbook:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80aecacc

Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody else here currently play or coach football?

I play QB, my school is going to be running a Wing T this year. We ran a West VA spread last year, and a sort of pro style offense my freshmen and sophomore years (JV was running a flexbone though, kind of stupid the JV ran a different offense). We've basically been through the entire spectrum of offenses in football

Old 01-07-2009, 07:31 PM    (permalink
jimmylishis
Rookie

jimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjimmylishis is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

yeah I play MLB at my school. Im a Sophomore and I think i have a shot at starting varsity OLB.
jimmylishis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I play QB, my school is going to be running a Wing T this year. We ran a West VA spread last year, and a sort of pro style offense my freshmen and sophomore years (JV was running a flexbone though, kind of stupid the JV ran a different offense). We've basically been through the entire spectrum of offenses in football
I know most of the things of a Wing T, I've played it and coached it and love it. The plays I know, I know every rule and every technique.

What do you need to know?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
What are scramble rules

btw new Anatomy of a Play videos:

Sproles GW TD Run
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80df3298

and

Westbrooks 71 yard Screen

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80df3285

Scramble rules are rules set in place when your QB is scrambling around in the backfield or to one side. When he is pressure and is running out of the pocket to the left or right.

As a WR or TE scramble rules come into play. You run your route, and see your QB running around to either side, and you run routes based on the side he is running. So if I am on the left lined up and run a 12 yard curl, and I run the route, and QB is out of the pocket running to the right, then no way he will throw to me. A good QB won't risk throwing across his body, so I have to run to the right in a set route, as does all skill players.

OCs have a page called scramble rules for the WRs and TEs and such. Everything in football is set and orchestrated. No one just runs around like a fool all over the field.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 AM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

DaBear89 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i did play in HS. OL/LB thinking of trying to walk on this spring at my college (Coastal Carolina). definately going football as a career tho. i spent A LOT of time with my coaches and HS and even if i dont make the CCU team will try to work with the team in some facet. my dream, besides being the starting MLB for the bears, is to run a team either as a coach or GM.
DaBear89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 AM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear89 View Post
i did play in HS. OL/LB thinking of trying to walk on this spring at my college (Coastal Carolina). definately going football as a career tho. i spent A LOT of time with my coaches and HS and even if i dont make the CCU team will try to work with the team in some facet. my dream, besides being the starting MLB for the bears, is to run a team either as a coach or GM.
i think that's everyone's dream here.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalconer View Post
i think that's everyone's dream here.
Still not a bad dream. I would think the most popular nowa days is actor or something in the music industry. That seems to be everyones, just look at American Idol and how many people try out. Football is alot tighter and much harder to get up the ranks, but it's a good dream to have none the less.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:36 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

yeah i realize its lofty but one of my favorite quotes is shoot for the moon. if if you don't make it you'll land among the stars. i just want to work around football that bad. i could make my living as a towel boy for the lions and my only problem with the job would be is im employed by a division rival
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBear89 View Post
yeah i realize its lofty but one of my favorite quotes is shoot for the moon. if if you don't make it you'll land among the stars. i just want to work around football that bad. i could make my living as a towel boy for the lions and my only problem with the job would be is im employed by a division rival
That's something I need to get over too. But if it's work then you have to be mature enough to do it. I am supposed to meet with Cowboys OC Garrett's dad sometime soon for an interview. If I do get something it would be with the cowboys, and I am a die hard giants fan. Obviously not ideal, but I know it's a job and pays the bills, while doing what I love. So you gotta think of it as a job, doing what you love.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Quote:
That's something I need to get over too. But if it's work then you have to be mature enough to do it. I am supposed to meet with Cowboys OC Garrett's dad sometime soon for an interview. If I do get something it would be with the cowboys, and I am a die hard giants fan. Obviously not ideal, but I know it's a job and pays the bills, while doing what I love. So you gotta think of it as a job, doing what you love.
And since you know a lot about the Giants, you could help some against them :D
Old 01-08-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
And since you know a lot about the Giants, you could help some against them :D
My worse fear is wearing Cowboys gear.. I might have to shower everytime and cry in the shower. lol. Take a crying game shower and sit under cold water, and say I am sorry, over and over again, lol.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
DaBear89
Rookie

lol i can see it now "cowboys assistant exposed as giants fan. fired immediately."
Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sorry about that. Better make your throws count.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:07 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I know most of the things of a Wing T, I've played it and coached it and love it. The plays I know, I know every rule and every technique.

What do you need to know?
Nothing really. I was just frustrated with the constant changing of systems

Old 01-08-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Sorry about that. Better make your throws count.
Yeah. Our coach claims he wants a balanced attack, but we'll see about that