Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Q & A article from the Saints official website with the newest Saint, CB Jason David.

Quote:

NewOrleansSaints.com caught up with the newest member of the Black & Gold, cornerback Jason David. David, who had been a restricted free agent of the Indianapolis Colts, signed an offer sheet with the Saints last Thursday and officially became a member of the team when the Colts declined to match the contract terms to bring the defensive back to Louisiana.

The following is a recap of the Q&A session with David as he talked about starting this new chapter of his career:

New Orleans Saints.com: How does it feel to be a member of the Saints?

Saints CB Jason David: "It feels great. This is an awesome opportunity and it feels like I am starting all over again, but I am really excited!"

NOS.com: Earlier this week you were at the White House with your former teammates. Can you talk about your emotions and what the reaction was from your former teammates regarding the possibility that you could be switching teams?

JD: "The emotions were cool. It is always great to see the guys that you went to battle with and it was good to see them and be a part of going to the White House and meeting the President. Everyone that I saw, from my former teammates, to the coaches and the front office people, were genuinely happy for me and excited about it and they said that I deserved this. I didn't hear anything negative from anyone. They treated me with class and I heard that they didn't want to lose me but this was the business side of it. But I thank the Colts for three great years and they gave me my opportunity and I will always be grateful to them."

NOS.com: Annually very few players switch teams via restricted free agency. What were your expectations as you headed into the process?

JD: "I really didn't have any expectations because there is very little movement among free agents when you are restricted. Once I got the tendered contract from the Colts, I pretty much thought that would be it, at least for the next year. But to have a team like the Saints who did so well last year and has so much going for them to be interested and willing to make a move shows that people have been paying attention and they like what they see in me. When the Saints called I was a little surprised initially but I always had the confidence in myself and knew this was a possibility. I am really happy and feel very blessed."

NOS.com: You came to New Orleans for a visit a few weeks ago. Can you talk about what your visit was like and when did you get the feeling that the Saints were sincere in talking to you about possibly joining the team?

JD: "I was sold when I got off the plane and it was 77 degrees. I had left Indianapolis and it was snowing in April. So I loved getting into the sunshine. In all honesty it was after I met the coaching staff and spent time with Coach Payton and Mr. Loomis. I sat down and talked to them and talked about the vision and their goals and expressed how happy they were to have me here. At first I wasn't too sure what was going to happen with the contract offer, but they made a very attractive offer and they showed that they believe in me as a player and a person and I fully intend to show them that they made a good decision."

NOS.com: You are a player that jumped into the starting lineup early in your professional career and you have been a mainstay throughout your career. What was the transition like for you from college to the pros?

JD: "It was tough, but coming out of college and getting the opportunity to play early in my career and see significant time and earning a starting spot really helped with my confidence. It is not an easy transition and you have to spend a lot of time getting in and learning the playbook, but that is what is expected of you as a professional. From there it was all about learning how to be a better player and work on continuing to improve. I take a lot of pride in my work habits not only during the season but also in the off-season. One thing that I am very excited about is coming to a team that has veterans in the secondary and guys that have played in the system for a year. That will be a big help and I am really anxious to get to know them and to work with them and learn from them."

NOS.com: There was recently an article that stated that cornerbacks in Cover Two schemes aren't asked to do all of the things that a cornerback is asked to do in a defense that relies on man-to-man coverage. How do you feel about that characterization?

JD: "I am excited and football is football. When you line up, it is about playing. That is overblown, in my estimation. We played a variety of different coverages, whether it was cover two, man, or zone, and I can play them all. The Saints knew that I played a variety of different roles and they did their homework. They didn't just say, 'He's a cover two guy.' They know what I can do and I am confident in my abilities."

NOS.com: You have been a guy that has developed a knack for being around the ball and making plays throughout your young career. Is that something that is innate or are ball skills something that you spend a lot of time working on?

JD: "I think it a combination of the two, I believe. I think that having the instincts is something that comes naturally, but you still have to work on your ball skills. I hate knocking down passes, I want to intercept them, but there comes a time when knocking a ball down is the only play you can make on a ball. But when you can make the opponent turn it over, it is always huge. You have to be solid in everything you do, I believe. It is about being sound in tackling, knowing your assignments and making plays on the ball. That's what complete corners do and I take pride in being able to do all of those things."

NOS.com: The Saints will travel to Indianapolis to open the 2007 season. Have you given much thought to what that will feel like for you to face your former teammates?

JD: "I have been thinking about that since the Saints called me and asked me to visit. It is going to be a fun game for me. I played against Peyton (Manning), Reggie (Wayne) and Marvin (Harrison) every day in practice and it is going to be fun and cool to line up against them and do it at game speed. It is going to be a lot of fun and I am already looking forward to it."

NOS.com: What are your plans moving forward? The Saints players have been here for roughly three weeks in the off-season strength and conditioning program. How anxious are you to come in and meet your new teammates and get started?

JD: "I will be there on Monday. I am very anxious. I am looking forward to meeting everybody and am really excited to be a Saint!"
Sounds like Payton has a bright vision on the teams future if he was able to sell David that well on the Saints. Sounds like David is a great person, and excited to be a Saint I look forward to seeing him make plays in the secondary.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bit of a small signing, but we signed Punter, Jason Hanson yesterday formerly of the Jaguars to give Weatherford competition in camp.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/10166515

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS (May 4, 2007) -- The New Orleans Saints signed former Pro Bowl punter Chris Hanson to a one-year contract.
never hurts to bring in competition. I do hope that Weatherford can earn the spot and beat him out in camp to become the future at the position though.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Training camp punter. I'm pretty Weatherford has the job on lock.

Goddamnit, I wish it was rookie minicamp at least already. =(
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Saints sign...

Kendrick Clancy, a DT from the Cards to a 3 year deal...per Siruis.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187514
http://www.azcardinals.com/team/bio.php?PRKey=86
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

it's confirmed, he is signed...

http://neworleanssaints.com/newsroom...articleid=3482
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not knowing the contract figures yet, but this looks to be a very good move by the Saints imo.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Geo is a closet Saint fan. ;)
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 06-07-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Don't know much about him, but hes started 30 games in his career so its at the very least a good move from a depth standpoint, especially considering how thin our DT corps is.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Not knowing the contract figures yet, but this looks to be a very good move by the Saints imo.
Here you go:

Quote:
The Saints, apparently attempting to shore up the interior of their defensive line, signed free-agent defensive tackle Kendrick Clancy to a three-year, $5.2 million contract Thursday.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saints sign DT Clancy

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NO/10217431
Old 06-15-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Saints released CB DeJuan Groce.
Source: http://www.rotoworld.com

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Michael Lewis cut as well, along with Willie Whitehead. Official Saints Site

Quote:
The New Orleans Saints have released WR Michael Lewis and DE/DT Willie Whitehead, it was announced today by Executive Vice President/General Manager Mickey Loomis.
Kind of surprised to see Willie get cut, he's been here since forever. I thought because of his experience, and versatility he would've made the team.. but I guess not.

Last edited by Auron : 06-15-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Drew Bledsoe could be an option as a backup for the Saints, according to the Biloxi Sun Herald.
Sources:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx
http://www.sunherald.com/sports/story/78933.html

Signature made by me

Old 07-05-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

NFL Network reporting the Saints signed LB, Dhani Jones to a 1 year deal.

Will have a link up in a bit. Ah thanks for providing a internet source Sveen.

Last edited by Auron : 07-05-2007 at 06:58 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:53 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

It's on Rotoworld.com now.

Quote:
Saints signed LB Dhani Jones to a one-year contract.
Jones was in the NFL Network studio to announce the signing himself on Thursday. Cut by the Eagles in late April, Jones didn't get much action on the free agent market. The outside linebacker isn't a lock to make the team.

Signature made by me

Old 07-06-2007, 04:21 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Jones is just a camp body and we might sign someone better if they are cut during TC by other teams.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

It's official. Dhani Jones is a Saint.

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news...articleid=3510

Signature made by me

Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Default Saints Pursuing Bronco's DT Gerard Warren

Quote:
Washington might not be done making moves. In recent days, the Redskins have spoken to Denver about a deal for defensive tackle Gerard Warren, who did not accompany the Broncos to San Francisco for Monday night's preseason game against the 49ers.

The Redskins always are looking to upgrade their defensive line, and Warren could help. Warren played well in 2005, but struggled last season. Some believe it was his attitude, but others attribute it to the broken toe that Warren played with last season. They insist it prevented him from fulfilling his potential.

The Broncos also have spoken to the Saints, the Colts and the Dolphins. The Redskins and the Saints are the most likely landing spots, but teams are hesitant to deal for Warren when Denver might have to cut him.

However, if enough teams are interested, the Broncos might be able to get back a draft choice for Warren. If not, and he is released, Warren is expected to go to the highest bidder.

Either way, the matter should be resolved by Tuesday.
Source: http://www.saintsrevolution.com/inde...216&Item id=1

Signature made by me

Old 08-18-2007, 05:58 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how I feel about trying to sign Warren. Maybe our coaching staff can motivate because if I remember correctly he has problems going all out on the field.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-28-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

My plan for the Saints (broken down by position):

Offseason moves: Releases/Trades
Release
QB Jamie Martin
RB Aaron Stecker
WR Devery Henderson
TE Mark Campbell
DT Brian Young
LB Mark Simoneau
LB Alfred Fincher
CB Fred Thomas
S Jay Bellamy
PK Olindo Mare

Trade:
RB Deuce McAlister (I'd hate to see this happen but I think it's in the best interest of the franchise)

Re-Sign
OG Jamar Nesbit (1 year deal)
TE Eric Johnson (1 year deal)
LB Troy Evans (1 year deal)
DE Renaldo Wynn (1 year deal)
WR David Patten (2 year deal)
TE Billy Miller (2 year deal)
PK Martin Gramatica (2 year deal)
WR Marques Colston (long term deal)
OG Jahri Evans (long term deal)

Free Agent Signings

OFFENSE

QB: With Jamie Martin being let go and Tyler Palko not ready to move up to take the back up slot, the Saints will need to invest in a young, effective signal caller in case Drew Brees goes down.
Saints sign: QB Josh McCown
Alternative option: QB Quinn Gray

RB: Hopefully the Saints will be able to receive something of significance if they are able to complete a trade for Deuce McAllister. Although he is a popular fixture on the Saints, a 30 year old running back with surgically repaired ACL's in both knees is not that great to have as a featured running back. Still, based on name recognition alone the Saints may garner something worth while. Due to that, the Saints will need to add a punishing bruiser who is able to pick up the hard to get yards in short yardage downs. Pierre Thomas has displayed a lot of promise this season and I feel he would be able to step in to the 3rd down back position that Aaron Stecker previously held. If Payton is not confident yet in what Thomas can bring to the table then another running back might need to be addressed in FA.
Saints sign: RB T.J. Duckett
Alternative option: RB LaBrandon Toefield
3rd down alternative option: RB Mewelde Moore

WR: Most of the Saints success comes through the air, especially when Drew Brees is being efficient with his passes, which he is most of the time. Former Saints receiver Devery Henderson never lived up to his potential and was not re-signed. This leaves a hole in the slot position and the Saints need to target a receiver that can get down field quickly and help stretch defenses. Depending on how important the Saints feel this position is will determine how much money is put into acquiring a receiver.
Saints sign: WR Bernard Berrian
First alternative option: WR Bryant Johnson
Second alternative option: WR Justin Gage

TE: After re-signing both Eric Johnson and the emerging Billy Miller, the Saints can afford to rest easy at tight end. They could make a small splash by signing a player based on his potential or by targeting one in the draft but this is not an area of immediate concern, especially considering that tight end is not relied upon that heavily in Sean Payton's offense.

OG: The Saints face a predicament this year as center Jeff Faine becomes an UFA. They have two choices: 1) re-sign him or 2) don't re-sign him. If they choose not to re-sign him then they will have to find one in free agency and there is not an outstanding or even an above average center this year in free agency. One possiblity is that the Saints move Jamar Nesbit over to center and move last year's draft pick Andy Alleman into the starting left guard position. Any which way, the Saints need quality depth along the offensive line, especially at guard.
Saints sign: OG Justin Smiley
Alternative option: OG Fred Womack

OT: Another position the Saints need to address is right tackle. There hasn't been any indication that the Saints plan on moving backup left tackle Zach Strief over to right tackle so a free agent needs to be brought in to replace Jon Stinchcomb, a player who has not lived up to his draft status.
Saints sign: OT Sean Locklear
First alternative option: OT Travelle Wharton
Second alternative option: OT Stacy Andrews

DEFENSE

DE: With the recently re-signed Charles Grant lined up with Will Smith on the opposite end, the Saints have a very formidable defensive end group. Renaldo Wynn and Josh Cooper are able to sub in and out and both are serviceable. There is some depth needed, especially a 3rd down pass rusher, but free agency is a bit light on pass rushers.

DT: This is one of the most important positions the Saints need to address. It is also a position the Saints should look into spending quite a bit of money into by signing up to two defensive tackle free agents in order to upgrade this unit. Last year's starter opposite Hollis Thomas was Brian Young, who is an unrestricted free agent this year. The Saints face a tough choice to either bring him back or not. There are quite a few options available for whichever they choose to do. In order to begin rebuilding the defense, the Saints should look into letting him go. They need to get younger, quicker, and more talented along the defensive front in order to help out their underachieving linebacking group. In order to replace what Brian Young brought to the table the Saints need to go after a quick, penetrating defensive tackle. There's a top notch guy like that available this year. There are also players available that would add quality depth and be able to compete for a starting position.
Saints sign: DT Corey Williams
Saints sign: DT Damione Lewis
First alternative option: DT Ian Scott
Second alternative option: DT Randy Starks

OLB: After last year, the Saints thought they had found their future weakside linebacker in Scott Shanle, a player acquired for just a 7th round draft pick from Dallas. This year, however, reality came crashing down on Joe Vitt and the Saints defensive coaches when Shanle failed to live up to his contract extension. Even Brian Simmons, a highly touted free agent signing, failed to live up to his press clippings. This year, presents some problems for the Saints. Not there isn't linebackers to go after in free agency, but how many, and who to take in the draft. The key to free agency is finding young veterans who can help lead and make a difference. With Coach Payton and Co. believing in drafting best player available (BPA), going after some solid linebackers in free agency makes sense. It starts by targeting Scott Shanle's replacement.
Saints sign: LB Demorrio Williams
First alternative option: LB Lance Briggs
Second alternative option: LB Landon Johnson

ILB: Mark Simoneau has been the starter for the past two seasons at middle linebacker, a position that requires a game changer and a leader. Mark Simoneau is neither. The depth at middle linebacker is lackluster at best for the Saints and an upgrade is needed immediately. The best middle linebacker in free agency looks to be Arizona Cardinal Karlos Dansby, however, it is very doubtful if the Cards are willing to part with one of their most important defensive pieces. It would be best for the Saints to plan to go after someone that will definitely be there. Targeting a versatile linebacker in the draft is a must as well.
Saints sign: LB Kawika Mitchell
Alternative option: None available

CB: Former Indianapolis Colt Jason David was highly sought after by the Saints front office and was eventually signed away from Tony Dungy's team. The coaching staff as well as most of the fans praised this signing with everyone hoping and dreaming for someone who would be better than Fred Thomas. The poison pill contract offered by the Saints for Jason David ended up backfiring as the poison was held in the form of Jason David's play on the field. His play killed many close games as he was picked on by quarterback after quarterback. This year the Saints may be a little gun shy about targeting a big name cornerback but that can't stop them from going after one. There are three big time corners available, however, Oakland Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha will more than likely be franchised taking him off the market. New England Patriot corner Asante Samuel seems to be a product of the Patriots defensive scheme. That would leave the Seattle Seahawks Marcus Trufant as the corner to pursue. The Saints may also need to go after one more free agent corner to help completely revamp a terrible secondary.
Saints sign: CB Marcus Trufant
First alternative option: CB Drayton Florence
Second alternative option: CB Travis Fisher
Third alternative option: CB Randall ***

S: Starters Josh Bullocks and Roman Harper have been inconsistent at best as the starting safeties for the Saints. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that both are young. That learning curve is about to end, though, as Josh Bullocks needs to shine in 2008 more than likely if he wants to keep his job. Roman Harper also needs to show improvement next year as well. Depth at safety is extremely lacking as fourteen year veteran Jay Bellamy is the current backup to Roman Harper and Kevin Kaesviharn is backing up Josh Bullocks. Former NFL Europe player Chris Reis looks to compete for a roster spot next year but the Saints need to sign someone they can rely on in case either Harper or Bullocks go down with an injury.
Saints sign: S Gibril Wilson
First alternative option: S Erik Coleman
Second alternative option: S Greg Blue

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 12-30-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Isn't Aaron Stecker an unrestricted free agent after this season? Unles you meant letting him walk by releasing ...

Also, I wonder how easy it will be to trade McAllister following a torn ACL injury. He proved he could recover in time for 2006 following a 2005 injury, granted it actually helped him run more north-south than dance around.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:23 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Isn't Aaron Stecker an unrestricted free agent after this season? Unles you meant letting him walk by releasing ...

Also, I wonder how easy it will be to trade McAllister following a torn ACL injury. He proved he could recover in time for 2006 following a 2005 injury, granted it actually helped him run more north-south than dance around.
By releasing I mean just letting them walk if they an UFA.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-04-2008, 05:44 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Saints signed WR Skyler Green, DE Josh Savage, TE Buck Ortega, CB Anwar Phillips, and G Tim Duckworth to reserve/future contracts.
Can someone explain to me what this actually means? None of them are listed on the active roster at http://www.neworleanssaints.com, but are they officially now on the roster, since the season is over I'm thinking maybe the Saints is allowed to have more than 53 players on it?

Edit: Never mind. Found the answer.

Quote:
Players signed to “reserve/future” contracts means they are being signed for the 2008 season even though that season does not officially begin until March. Only players who were not on any NFL team’s active roster when the 2007 season ended are eligible for such signings; if they were under contract, then they would remain so until March. Players who were on practice squads at the end of the season are eligible to sign with any team.
Another question though. The players that ended the season on the practice squad; are they still on it? Or to put it another way, when in the year is the teams right to have 8 practice squad players over?

Signature made by me

Last edited by Sveen : 01-04-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Some news from KFFL.com:

Quote:
Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun Herald, reports it is unclear if the New Orleans Saints will re-sign impending free-agent LB Mark Simoneau.
Quote:
Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun Herald, reports it is unclear if the New Orleans Saints will re-sign impending free-agent DT Brian Young.
Quote:
Larry Holder, of the Biloxi Sun Herald, reports the New Orleans Saints are more than $30 million under the salary cap.
Salary cap not an issue for Saints: http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...l=1&thispage=1

Signature made by me

Last edited by Sveen : 01-04-2008 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I think possibly Tim Duckworth makes the roster and that's about it.

I'm hoping Mark Simoneau and Brian Young don't return so we can begin the rebuilding process on the defensive side of the ball.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter