Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 01-04-2008, 08:06 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I could see Skylar Green making it as a special teams guy if he works on it. He was really damn fast in college, not sure what happened to him.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:13 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
I could see Skylar Green making it as a special teams guy if he works on it. He was really damn fast in college, not sure what happened to him.
He's muffed a lot of punts in the pros and has been cut from Dallas and Cincinnati because he didn't contribute enough.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My plan for the Saints (broken down by position):

Offseason moves: Releases/Don't Re-Sign
Release
QB Jamie Martin
RB Aaron Stecker
WR Devery Henderson
TE Eric Johnson
TE Mark Campbell
DT Brian Young
LB Mark Simoneau
LB Alfred Fincher
CB Fred Thomas
S Jay Bellamy
PK Olindo Mare

Trade:
RB Deuce McAlister (I'd hate to see this happen but I think it's in the best interest of the franchise)

Trade For:
LB Jonathan Vilma: Although coming off of injured reserve and needing to pass a physical, Vilma would immediately upgrade the MLB position. Vilma's skill set is more suited to the 4-3 than the 3-4 and could come cheaply since the Jets have already found his replacement in David Harris. A third rounder would be the most the Black and Gold should offer. The key to trading for Vilma is his ability to pass a physical.

Re-Sign
OG Jamar Nesbit (1 year deal)
LB Troy Evans (1 year deal)
DE Renaldo Wynn (1 year deal)
WR David Patten (2 year deal)
TE Billy Miller (2 year deal)
PK Martin Gramatica (2 year deal)
OG Jahri Evans (long term deal)
WR Marques Colston (long term deal)

Free Agent Signings

OFFENSE

QB: With Jamie Martin being let go and Tyler Palko not ready to move up to take the back up slot, the Saints will need to invest in a young, effective signal caller in case Drew Brees goes down.
Saints sign: QB Josh McCown
First alternative option: QB Quinn Gray
Second alternative option: QB Shaun Hill
Third alternative option: QB Billy Volek

RB: Hopefully the Saints will be able to receive something of significance if they are able to complete a trade for Deuce McAllister. Although he is a popular fixture on the Saints, a 30 year old running back with surgically repaired ACL's in both knees is not that great to have as a featured running back. Still, based on name recognition alone the Saints may garner something worth while. Due to that, the Saints will need to add a punishing bruiser who is able to pick up the hard to get yards in short yardage downs. Pierre Thomas has displayed a lot of promise this season and I feel he would be able to step in to the 3rd down back position that Aaron Stecker previously held. If Payton is not confident yet in what Thomas can bring to the table then another running back might need to be addressed in FA.
Saints sign: RB T.J. Duckett
Alternative option: RB LaBrandon Toefield
3rd down back alternative option: RB Mewelde Moore

WR: Most of the Saints success comes through the air, especially when Drew Brees is being efficient with his passes, which he is most of the time. Former Saints receiver Devery Henderson never lived up to his potential and was not re-signed. This leaves a hole in the slot position and the Saints need to target a receiver that can get down field quickly and help stretch defenses. Depending on how important the Saints feel this position is will determine how much money is put into acquiring a receiver.
Saints sign: WR Bernard Berrian
Second alternative option: WR Jerry Porter
Third alternative option: WR Andre Davis
Fourth alternative option: WR Bryant Johnson
Fifth alternative option: WR Justin Gage

TE: Billy Miller was able to showcase his pass-catching ability this season when filling in for the injured Eric Johnson. Miller has shown to be a reliable receiving threat which helps open up the passing game even more. Re-signing him should be one of the first things the front office does. After Miller, though, depth at TE is scarce so a FA needs to be brought in who can help block and pass-catch.
Saints sign: TE Ben Troupe
Alternative option: TE Ben Hartstock

OG: The Saints face a predicament this year as center Jeff Faine becomes an UFA. They have two choices: 1) re-sign him or 2) don't re-sign him. If they choose not to re-sign him then they will have to find one in free agency and there is not an outstanding or even an above average center this year in free agency. One possiblity is that the Saints move Jamar Nesbit over to center and move last year's draft pick Andy Alleman into the starting left guard position. Any which way, the Saints need quality depth along the offensive line, especially at guard.
Saints sign: OG Justin Smiley
Alternative option: OG Fred Womack

OT: Another position the Saints need to address is right tackle. There hasn't been any indication that the Saints plan on moving backup left tackle Zach Strief over to right tackle so a free agent needs to be brought in to replace Jon Stinchcomb, a player who has not lived up to his draft status. Undrafted free agent rookie Jermon Bushrod might not be ready to come in and take over the RT position and I see him more as a back-up like Zach Strief.
One option could be to move current LT Jammal Brown back to RT and sign a FA who can play LT. The only FA that is capable of converting to LT is Carolina Panther FA Travell Wharton.
Saints sign: OT Sean Locklear
First alternative option: OT Travelle Wharton
Second alternative option: OT Stacy Andrews

DEFENSE

DE: With the recently re-signed Charles Grant lined opposite of Will Smith the Saints have a very formidable defensive end group. The thought of re-signing Will Smith has been tossed around but that is not crucial for this year since he was drafted in 2004 and signed a six year contract. Re-signing him next year will be a priority of the utmost importance.
Renaldo Wynn and Josh Cooper are able to sub in and out and both are serviceable. There is some depth needed, especially a 3rd down pass rusher, but free agency is a bit light on pass rushers.

DT: This is one of the most important positions the Saints need to address. It is also a position the Saints should look into spending quite a bit of money into by signing up to two defensive tackle free agents in order to upgrade this unit. Last year's starter opposite Hollis Thomas was Brian Young, who is an unrestricted free agent this year. The Saints face a tough choice to either bring him back or not. There are quite a few options available for whichever they choose to do. In order to begin rebuilding the defense, the Saints should look into letting him go. They need to get younger, quicker, and more talented along the defensive front in order to help out their underachieving linebacking group. In order to replace what Brian Young brought to the table the Saints need to go after a quick, penetrating defensive tackle. There's a top notch guy like that available this year. There are also players available that would add quality depth and be able to compete for a starting position.
Saints sign: DT Corey Williams
Saints sign: DT Randy Starks
First alternative option: DT Ian Scott
Second alternative option: DT Damione Lewis

ILB/OLB: After last year, the Saints thought they had found their future weakside linebacker in Scott Shanle, a player acquired for just a 7th round draft pick from Dallas. This year, however, reality came crashing down on Joe Vitt and the Saints defensive coaches when Shanle failed to live up to his contract extension. Even Brian Simmons, a highly touted free agent signing, failed to live up to his press clippings.
Mark Simoneau has been the starter for the past two seasons at middle linebacker, a position that requires a game changer and a leader. Simoneau is neither. The depth at middle linebacker is lackluster at best for the Saints and an upgrade is needed immediately. A trade for Jonathan Vilma would open up many different options for the Saints but if one is not able to be worked out then the Saints have other options as well.
The key to free agency is finding young veterans who can help lead and make a difference. This year, however, finding those young veterans are needed in the secondary and along the defensive front. With Coach Payton and Co. believing in drafting best player available (BPA), going after some solid linebackers in free agency makes sense, however, with so many needs already on the defensive side of the ball the Saints will have to find replacements in the draft at linebacker. This is actually a luxury since where the Saints are drafting they have the option of staying put and drafting an impact linebacker or trading down and still being able to land an immediate impact player. No money should be spent at linebacker this year.
Alternative option: LB Kawika Mitchell (1 year contract)

CB: Former Indianapolis Colt Jason David was highly sought after by the Saints front office and was eventually signed away from Tony Dungy's team. The coaching staff as well as most of the fans praised this signing with everyone hoping and dreaming for someone who would be better than Fred Thomas. The poison pill contract offered by the Saints for Jason David ended up backfiring as the poison was held in the form of Jason David's play on the field. His play killed many close games as he was picked on by quarterback after quarterback. This year the Saints may be a little gun shy about targeting a big name cornerback but that can't stop them from going after one.
There are three big time corners available, however, Oakland Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha will more than likely be franchised taking him off the market. New England Patriot corner Asante Samuel seems to be a product of the Patriots defensive scheme. That would leave the Seattle Seahawks Marcus Trufant as the corner to pursue.
There are also doubts that the Saints best cornerback, Mike McKenzie, might not be able to play at all next year. This makes signing another cornerback critical. A 2nd tier cornerback should be targeted to start opposite Trufant. If they Saints are able to sign these two players then drafting a cornerback does not become a top priority. The Saints need to put themselves in a position where they can wait and develop cornerback talent like they are doing with Usama Young. Being able to draft a cornerback at the earliest in round three will give them that luxury of developing talent.
Saints sign: CB Marcus Trufant
Saints sign: CB Drayton Florence
First alternative option: CB Jacques Reeves
Second alternative option: CB Travis Fisher
Third alternative option: CB Randall ***

S: Starters Josh Bullocks and Roman Harper have been inconsistent at best as the starting safeties for the Saints. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that both are young. That learning curve is about to end, though, as Josh Bullocks needs to shine in 2008 more than likely if he wants to keep his job. Roman Harper also needs to show improvement next year as well. Depth at safety is extremely lacking as fourteen year veteran Jay Bellamy is the current backup to Roman Harper and Kevin Kaesviharn is backing up Josh Bullocks. Former NFL Europe player Chris Reis looks to compete for a roster spot next year but the Saints need to sign someone they can rely on in case either Harper or Bullocks go down with an injury.
Saints sign: S Gibril Wilson
First alternative option: S Erik Coleman
Second alternative option: S Greg Blue

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Nice write up, I just think that Berrian, Corey Williams, and Trufant are going to command more money than you realize and I'm not sure how realistic it would be to sign all 3 (but I would love it).
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I was going to say, Berrian is going to get paid like a #1 receiver on the open market. Whether he deserves it or not. I've heard the Raiders might be a good possibilty as a potential suitor, given their needs at WR and Davis' penchant for liking speed.

Are the Seahawks planning on letting Trufant walk? I would think not, although I don't know any details about that ...

As for defensive tackles, maybe the Saints might be better off going with the Draft like Washington and Indianapolis have the last two years. Then again, if they're looking for a starter, they might need/want a proven player.

An early 3rd for Vilma? Hmm ... Javon Walker earned a mid/late 2nd in 2005, and Vilma's more proven that he was. I wonder if the Jets couldn't get a mid/late 2nd for Vilma, tough spot for the Saints as they have an early 2nd that they could use for a very good prospect who slips out of the 1st round.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:44 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Yeah, I was going to say, Berrian is going to get paid like a #1 receiver on the open market. Whether he deserves it or not. I've heard the Raiders might be a good possibilty as a potential suitor, given their needs at WR and Davis' penchant for liking speed.

Are the Seahawks planning on letting Trufant walk? I would think not, although I don't know any details about that ...

As for defensive tackles, maybe the Saints might be better off going with the Draft like Washington and Indianapolis have the last two years. Then again, if they're looking for a starter, they might need/want a proven player.

An early 3rd for Vilma? Hmm ... Javon Walker earned a mid/late 2nd in 2005, and Vilma's more proven that he was. I wonder if the Jets couldn't get a mid/late 2nd for Vilma, tough spot for the Saints as they have an early 2nd that they could use for a very good prospect who slips out of the 1st round.
I put the ideal free agents first, followed by the more realistic choices behind them.

I would think the Seahawks would tag Trufant as well but it is just wishful thinking on my part that they release him. More than likely the Saints, who definitely need two starting CB's, sign someone like Drayton Florence and Randall ***.

The Saints definitely need starters out of any FA defensive tackle. Our defensive line is Hollis Thomas, Kendrick Clancy, and Antwan Lake. Those three definitely are not a murderers row and we need a pass rusher/penetrator which Corey Williams is.

Vilma is a complicated situation as well as the Saints. I don't know how bad his injury was, I don't know where he stands with the Jets, and I don't know if the Saints are going to show any interest in a possible trade. Another wishful thinking proposal on my part.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-15-2008, 05:49 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Do you guys thinks we should go after Norm Chow?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-15-2008, 08:04 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

It'd make sense. Our personnel fit his system much better than with the Titans.

I think he'll go back to the college game though.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Rich Jr
Veteran

Rich Jr smells like sex panther.Rich Jr smells like sex panther.

No, unless he coaches a position because Payton is not giving up play calling and he's too good at it.
Rich Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Do you guys thinks we should go after Norm Chow?
Yes, I do. Him & Payton would be great together if Payton's ego didn't get out of hand.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Who do you guys think we have a realistic shot of signing in FA?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-21-2008, 01:23 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I'll be doing another offseason prediction very soon.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 AM    (permalink
Stoopid512

I'm really worried about the secondary next year if the Saints can't come away with some big signings or players that will fit into the system in 2008. I'm sure they'll draft a CB, but you really can't expect a rookie to start in the NFL right away at the 2nd or 3rd CB position, unless you've given up on the season. Bottom line is that the Saints D is in deep doo-doo.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Looks like the majority of players Saints looking at in the Senior Bowl, are on the offensive side. With Patrick Lee being the only D player.

I'm praying we take D in the 1st 3 rounds, but i really doubt it with this Saints team...it's all about offense.
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:48 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Right now this is who I want:
Keith Rivers - 1st Round
Phillip Wheeler - 2nd Round
Charles Godfrey - 3rd Round
DeMario Pressley - 4th Round

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-22-2008, 11:49 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Rumors are swirling that the Dallas Cowboys are shopping Marcus Spears and Bobby Carpenter at the Senior Bowl? Would any of you guys want to go after them? If so, how much would you be willing to offer?

I'd be willing to give a 5th round for Carpenter. He could come in and compete for a linebacker position, and if not win it, he'd be a great backup and valuable special teams contributor.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-23-2008, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

A poster (a informative poster and reliable one at that) on Saintsreport.com, has said that the Saints have hired Ed Orgeron former Ole Miss HC with the position unknown but most likely DL coach.
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67 View Post
Looks like the majority of players Saints looking at in the Senior Bowl, are on the offensive side. With Patrick Lee being the only D player.
Hahaha.

gogogo DeSean Jackson!
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

if they really did hire Oregeron, thats a great move. Hes a hell of a d-line coach.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we could get Carpenter for a 5th rounder that would be a good move I think.

Quote:
According to published reports in Detroit, the Lions are prepared to move on without Pro Bowl DT Shaun Rogers. The Lions will reportedly release Rogers if they can’t find a trade partner before the draft. And finding someone to take on Rogers’ $16M-plus cap figure for the next couple of years likely isn’t going to be easy.
That do you guys think of him in a Saints jersey?

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Last edited by Sveen : 01-24-2008 at 04:55 AM.
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

We need Gregg Williams' number on speed dial if/when the Skins release him.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:14 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
We need Gregg Williams' number on speed dial if/when the Skins release him.
I'm thinking the same thing. Him, Rex Ryan, or Rob Ryan.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 01-24-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Shaun Rodgers is a man.

A man
Old 01-28-2008, 06:03 PM    (permalink
SaintsFanForLife
Pro Bowler

SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.SaintsFanForLife wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.
Default Saints Free Agent's

There are alot of top CB's and LB's available this year. Both positions we really need help in. Who should we look to get and why?
SaintsFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

There is a Saints offseason thread that you can look to for answers on any offseason questions as well as submit your own for answering.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter