Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

View Poll Results: Who would you choose at 27?
Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas 7 38.89%
Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh 4 22.22%
Aaron Ross, CB, Texas 5 27.78%
Paul Posluszny, LB, Penn State 1 5.56%
Dwayne Jarrett, WR, Southern Cal 1 5.56%
Trade the selection away 0 0%
Choose someone else not listed (explain who and why?) 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
I seriously, seriously doubt we could get both of Tampa's second round picks. The value of those picks combined would be slightly greater than the 21st pick in the draft, which is just unrealistic to expect for Grant. I'd say at the very best we could get one of Tampa's second rounders this year and a conditional 2nd/3rd next year. However, we could be incredibly stupid to trade an already angry Grant to one of our divisional rivals. If we're going to trade him anywhere, Tampa is not going to be the place. It doesn't seem to me like you completely thought this out.
Situation won't play out, but it is more likely that Tampa give up 2 seconds, than 2 firsts which would be franchise player compensation.

So far they seem to have been the only team to show any serious interest. We'll see closer to Draft day if Grant is moved I don't think it's likely but anything can happen on Draft day. This was only one scenario.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:45 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Situation won't play out, but it is more likely that Tampa give up 2 seconds, than 2 firsts which would be franchise player compensation.

So far they seem to have been the only team to show any serious interest. We'll see closer to Draft day if Grant is moved I don't think it's likely but anything can happen on Draft day. This was only one scenario.
Nobody is ever going to give up two firsts for Grant, so really, pretty much anything is more likely. Getting mid-first round value for Grant is unrealistic. The only team in the league who would be stupid enough to give up that much would probably be the Redskins, who actually need a DE, but don't have the picks to offer even if they would be interested.

I'd say a second, or even a swap of second rounders with a team picking earlier than us this year, with a conditional pick next year, is the absolute best we could hope for. Just because the franchise compensation is two first rounders doesn't mean the player is worth anything remotely close to that.

And like I said, trading one of our angry players to a divisional rival would be one of the dumbest things we could do. I'd rather take my chances on him walking next year and possibly signing somewhere out of the division.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Nobody is ever going to give up two firsts for Grant, so really, pretty much anything is more likely. Getting mid-first round value for Grant is unrealistic. The only team in the league who would be stupid enough to give up that much would probably be the Redskins, who actually need a DE, but don't have the picks to offer even if they would be interested.

I'd say a second, or even a swap of second rounders with a team picking earlier than us this year, with a conditional pick next year, is the absolute best we could hope for. Just because the franchise compensation is two first rounders doesn't mean the player is worth anything remotely close to that.

And like I said, trading one of our angry players to a divisional rival would be one of the dumbest things we could do. I'd rather take my chances on him walking next year and possibly signing somewhere out of the division.
I agree that it is ridiculous to think any team would give up 2 firsts for Grant, I can't remember the last time a franchise player was traded for that. It's hard to say how teams value players. Although I must admit the overly optimistic scenario comes from other Saints fans complaining I'm not getting enough compensation for Grant.

Which is pretty much why I dislike doing trades in mocks, it's too hard to figure out the proper values...

I do see the point about him going to a Division rival. We are going to go through a situation like that with Horn this year in Atlanta.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Auron, even if the whole Charles Grant for two second rounders doesn't pan out, I do like the majority of your picks, especially Craig "Buster" Davis and John Beck.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan, as Auron pointed out, it is not out of the ordinary for teams to trade to other teams within their own division. That being said, I agree with you, I would prefer it if the Saints did not trade Grant to a division rival.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will... cross your fingers! :)

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Default Be the GM: Saints Third Round Selection?

After drafting a premier corner in round one with Chris Houston from Arkansas and a disruptive force in the middle with Ohio State defensive tackle Quinn Pitcock, the Saints are on the clock again, and there are still several great prospects that I'm surprised have fallen this far. I really expect the Saints to go defense here again, but there are some offensive players that could go here at eighty-eight.

You heard Count Chocula, who do the Saints get with their third-round selection?

The nominees:

ILB H.B. Blades, Pittsburgh

WR Steve Smith, Southern Cal

ILB Zak DeOssie, Brown

TE Scott Chandler, Iowa

OL Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech

DE Dan Bauzin, Central Michigan

TE Matt Spaeth, Minnesota

QB Troy Smith, Ohio State

someone else? (say who and why)

or trade the selection away?

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 04-01-2007, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

With CB, and DT already addressed I think we'd look at some LB, or WR talents available.

for me it comes down to Smith, or DeOssie both are guys I'm really high on and think would be good fits.

I'll go with Smith because I think he would be BPA if he fell to that spot.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going with Zak DeOssie here with Steve Smith as a very good number two.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Who Dat Nation
Rookie

Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Who Dat Nation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted Steve Smith.
Who Dat Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:24 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I say H.B. Blades. I don't know too much about DeOssie, but Blades kinda reminds me of Sam Mills.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with H.B. Blades, but I'll be damned if Steve Smith wasn't tempting.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blades would have to be the pick

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

I went blades 2, i think you could get Troy Smith with the last 4th you have.
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

As chosen by you, the fans...

With the eighty-eighth selection of the 2007 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select:

H.B. Blades, inside linebacker, from the University of Pittsburgh

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 04-09-2007, 01:22 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's a mock that I didn't spend too much time on but came up with in a few minutes: Feel free to tear it apart.

1.27 - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas
2.58 - Steve Smith, WR, USC
3.89 - Kareem Brown, DT, Miami
4.119 - Zak DeOssie, ILB, Brown
4.121 - Trent Edwards, QB, Stanford
4.122 - Stephen Nicholas, OLB, South Florida
5.153 - Tim Duckworth, OG, Auburn
7.201 - C.J. Wilson, CB, Baylor

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How about the 4th round? ;)

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
VYTitans

Uhm why did ya'll pick Quinn Pitcock? I don't mean to sound ******** but I think that he has one of the highest bust potentials. I'm just looking for some sort of explaination.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:18 AM    (permalink
BiggerFoot

I too like the idea of trading Grant before we get nothing for him next season and having him a disgruntled player although I am not sure what exactly we could get for him.
I am just fishing with this idea but Grant for Miami's 2nd round pick this year and 2nd next year
Justin Harrell (although try and trade down a few spots and pick him up)
Sidney Rice, big time potential and a steal in the second round can will be a stud
2.58 Marcus McCauley, had a bad senior season but has the physical tools and is a solid tackler and can play against the run
3.89 Quentin Moses trade up and grab him in the early 3rd if he continues his slide
4.119 Kenny Scott, CB another big CB that has tons of potential and is physical
4.121 Quincy Black OLB, a quick LB that would help pressure the QB and is good in coverage
4.122 used to trade up
5.153Walter Thomas, a massive DT around 6,5 370 that can also be a run stuffer with Harrell
6.184 trade up
7.201 project player
Old 04-19-2007, 12:40 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Forum Mock

I am going to use this page to keep all of you Saints fans aware of what I am doing in the current forum mock. You guys can critique, complain, celebrate, or whatever.

Pre-Draft Moves
New Orleans Receives:
CB Randall G-ay

New England Receives:
New Orleans 5th Round Pick (#163)
------------------------------

New Orleans Receives:
New York Jets 3rd Rounder (#89)

New York Jets Receives:
RT Jon Stinchcomb
-----------------------------

New Orleans Receives:
New York Jets 2nd Rounder (#63)

New York Jets Receives:
WR Terrance Copper
New Orleans Saints 4th Rounder (#123)
---------------------------------------

Draft Picks
1.27 - Paul Posluszny, Linebacker, Penn St.
2.58 - Steve Smith, Wide Receiver, University of Southern California
2.63 - Jonathan Wade, Cornerback, University of Tennessee
3.88 - Tarell Brown, Cornerback, University of Texas
3.89 - Brandon Mebane, Defensive Tackle, University of California
4.125 - Stephen Nicholas, Linebacker, University of South Florida
4.126 - John Beck, Quarterback, Brigham Young University
7.220 - Jeremy Clark, Defensive Tackle, University of Alabama

That is the draft.

I will be doing UDFA's and I have my eye on one. I'm looking to try and land Oklahoma WR Paul Thompson.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 04-27-2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Going to check how the board fell out, but at a first glance I'd say you did a pretty good job.

Posluszny, Smith, Wade looks like a very solid first day addressing need spots and also getting good value for the picks.

the pre-draft moves freed up some flexibility. (in reality I don't think the Saints would trade Stinch, and Copper at this point in time because they recently re-signed them to fresh contracts) but for the sake of the forum mock ok.

For Arizona's proposal it depends how well you believe the CB situation is set.. keeping in mind the additions of Randall G-y, and Wade. I would pass because Green is only a marginal starter. (also it would depend how the Jason David situation plays out but you won't have that kind of time)
Old 04-21-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

I actually like those mocks, both seem to get some good value and address weak points.

I'm going to make my final Saints mocks this week, anyone else planning on getting a few last minute mocks in this week?
Old 04-21-2007, 08:01 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Our selections have been updated.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-25-2007, 01:18 AM    (permalink
WeatherMike
Rookie

WeatherMike hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I've participated in a lot of GM mock drafts, and below is my latest effort for the Saints. If you have a question (as in OMG how could you pass on X), my answer is that player probably has an issue like intelligence, character, work ethic, consistency, or doesn't fit attributes the Saints have specified (press corners, offensive linemen who can run and will work in the weight room, etc.). With the undrafted players I did go with the best, but at specific positions to fill out a full roster for a training camp.

Trade: 27 for 35, 102, and CB Brian Kelly
35) OG Ben Grubbs, Auburn
58) CB Josh Wilson, Maryland
88) WR Lee Higgins, Texas El-Paso
102) LB Stephen Nicholas, Southern Florida
123) DE Jay Moore, Nebraska
125) TE Joe Newton, Oregon State
126) WR Chansi Stuckey, Clemson
163) LB Jon Abbate, Wake Forest
220) OG Herbert Taylor, Texas Christian

QB Justin Rascati, James Madison
RB Jon Cornish, Kansas
WR Jordan Kent, Oregon
OG Cameron Stephenson, Rutgers
DE Greg Peterson, North Carolina Central
LB Zach Diles, Kansas State
LB Danny Wheeler, Georgia
CB John Talley, Duke
FS Rashad Barksdale, Albany
K Jesse Ainsworth, Arizona State
WeatherMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:36 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Our selections have been updated.
I'm super high on the John Beck selection as I am also with both Posluszny and Smith.

Great job so far! :)

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!

Old 04-26-2007, 02:40 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
I actually like those mocks, both seem to get some good value and address weak points.

I'm going to make my final Saints mocks this week, anyone else planning on getting a few last minute mocks in this week?
I'm attempting to put together a first round mock with trades... but as it is, this has (and excuse my French) been the week from hell for me. :(

I'm really looking forward to the Draft to take my mind off of all the [expletive deleted] that's been going on. Hopefully, I can finish everything by at least this afternoon to post it for comments. ;)

Sig by jkpigskin

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!