Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 02-09-2011, 06:55 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

Haven't even heard of Edmund Gates. Any insight? Pros/Cons
thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:56 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
Haven't even heard of Edmund Gates. Any insight? Pros/Cons
Small school guy. He was on the podcast last night with Shane and Scott. Used to go to the same school as Johnny Knox, apparently they used to race and Knox never beat him so I guess the kid can fly. Everything Ive read suggests he's a 2nd-3rd round guy who is a little raw but has all the tools to be a star in the NFL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:03 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Albien Christian always seems to have prospects in the mid rounds. He h as nice height to go along w/ his apparent better then Knox speed. W/ his height and speed Id def look into him.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:10 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Familiarize yourselves Ravens fans. My favorite WR in this draft and is probably my 4th or 5th ranked WR right now. So damn smooth and fluid in his movements and is very explosive. Great hands and body control too.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Williams seems to be a very popular choice for the Ravens on this site and in mock drafts on others. What would you think of us taking him in the first?

I'm not really on the bandwagon for bringing him to Baltimore like so many outside fans/mockers are. Williams just isn't the type of corner we need IMO. If both J. Smith and B. Harris are off the board I would prefer that we look elsewhere, perhaps at DE, OLB, or WR.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Aaron Williams seems to be a very popular choice for the Ravens on this site and in mock drafts on others. What would you think of us taking him in the first?

I'm not really on the bandwagon for bringing him to Baltimore like so many outside fans/mockers are. Williams just isn't the type of corner we need IMO. If both J. Smith and B. Harris are off the board I would prefer that we look elsewhere, perhaps at DE, OLB, or WR.
I'm curious as to what kind of corner you think he is. He's in my class at UT so I've seen every game of his, most every home game in person. He's incredibly physical, very fast, tall and can cut on a dime. He didn't have a lot of picks in his career, but he really never gave up many big plays. Outside of Justin Blackmon this year, I can't think of anyone who really got the better of him, and he was in perfect position on the deep ball, just missed the break up.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post

I don't care for the pick at all. Obviously we'll have to see free agency shakes out, but we are much stronger at CB than most realize. Not everyone will return, but at the moment we have 5 competent CB's and not one of them will be over the age of 28 this year. It's certainly not an old group and isn't lacking in experience either. I really liked what I saw out of Josh Wilson towards the end of the season and really believe he can develop into a very solid corner for us. Aaron Williams struggled at times this year and got beat more than you'd like for a first round CB. But he's a tall, fluid, athletic CB so people like him but it would be a reach to take him at 26. We never reach in the first, and if we did, it wouldn't be to address a position that isn't our biggest need. The only situation I'd be happy with a CB in the 1st, is if we were able to land Jimmy Smith.

Last edited by TACKLE : 02-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:19 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
I'm curious as to what kind of corner you think he is. He's in my class at UT so I've seen every game of his, most every home game in person. He's incredibly physical, very fast, tall and can cut on a dime. He didn't have a lot of picks in his career, but he really never gave up many big plays. Outside of Justin Blackmon this year, I can't think of anyone who really got the better of him, and he was in perfect position on the deep ball, just missed the break up.
I agree with this. Williams is seriously underrated right now. I would have no problem taking him in the first if Harris and Smith are off the board.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Williams will most likely be a Raven next year.
He plays like a Raven, and has exceptional athleticism.
He makes plays and is a solid coverage guy.
I have him ranked #3.
Jimmy Smith is #4.
Brandon Harris #5.
If Prince fell to us I'd be so ******* happy.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:38 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd much prefer Jimmy Smith and Brandon Harris to Aaron Williams. Both are more physical guys and guys I'd trust more in iso coverage.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Why would we reach on a corner and take Aaron Williamsat 26? Athletically he's a first round "talent" but his play this year doesn't warrant that pick.

Last edited by TACKLE : 02-12-2011 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:18 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I'd much prefer Jimmy Smith and Brandon Harris to Aaron Williams. Both are more physical guys and guys I'd trust more in iso coverage.
Agree to disagree.
Brandon Harris is a risk taker and gets caught out of position a lot more than Williams. Aaron is also infamous for being a big hitter (behind the line)
Harris is an inconsistent ankle tackler at best.
Jimmy Smith is a beast, I agree, but he's not nearly as fluid in coverage as Aaron Williams is.
Smith= Charles Tillman
Williams= Leon Hall
Harris= Jabari Greer
Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Depending on how the board unfolds, what would you guys think about possibly drafting someone like Gabe Carimi. The idea is certainly growing on me as of late. It's looking unlikely that Gaither will return, especially if they are stubborn and keep Oher at LT. Yanda had a solid year at RT but he might be the best RG in the league. By taking Carimi, I think we could upgrade the both the RT and RG position.

I know the coaching staff was disappointed in the running game this year and I know Harbs wants to get back to pounding the ball. I just love the idea of having this group as our O-Line.

Oher-Grubbs-Birk-Yanda-Carimi

Last edited by TACKLE : 02-13-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:41 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I really like Carimi but I was under the impression Gaither had expressed a desire to stay in Baltimore and contract talks had started again. Im not sure Carimi will be there when we pick either, but Im certainly not opposed to the pick.
Quote:
Old 02-13-2011, 12:57 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I really like Carimi but I was under the impression Gaither had expressed a desire to stay in Baltimore and contract talks had started again. Im not sure Carimi will be there when we pick either, but Im certainly not opposed to the pick.
Gaither is still pissed about moving out of LT and has said that if he comes back, it would be to play LT. Obviously Gaither is a Maryland guy and would like to stay home, but there's there's certainly a possibility that he's gone.

Also, there's a better chance that he falls to us than you think. I'm not going to say he's overrated on here, because I think he's a very good football player, but I think he's overvalued on here. Most on here have him as their top 1 or 2 OT prospects though he's not quite as highly thought of by others - Scott Wright (5th), NFL Draft Scout (5th), Wes Bunting (3rd), Todd McShay (3rd). It all has to do when the run on tackles starts. At this point, I still believe there's a fairly good chance Carimi still might be there at 26.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:16 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

We have already invested a 1st rounder in an OT 2 of our last 3 1st rounders. I'd rather go defense or address WR instead of getting another OT with a first.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
We have already invested a 1st rounder in an OT 2 of our last 3 1st rounders. I'd rather go defense or address WR instead of getting another OT with a first.
We have??? Since when is Ben Grubbs an OT. This is the AFC North, the most physical division in the NFL. We face the best pass rushing tandem in the NFL 2-3 times a year and we need to be able to run the ball with success on a consistent basis, especially in December and January. So why would be taking another first round lineman be a bad thing? I can acknowledge we have some bigger needs but the reality is, we're not going to reach for a player just because he addresses a larger need.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
We have??? Since when is Ben Grubbs an OT. This is the AFC North, the most physical division in the NFL. We face the best pass rushing tandem in the NFL 2-3 times a year and we need to be able to run the ball with success on a consistent basis, especially in December and January. So why would be taking another first round lineman be a bad thing? I can acknowledge we have some bigger needs but the reality is, we're not going to reach for a player just because he addresses a larger need.
My mistake. I meant o-lineman. All we need is a solid RT, so we can move Yanda back to guard. There is no true LT in this years class, so taking a RT in the 1st is not very smart. And what if Gaither re-signs?

You know how long we've needed a CB, OLB, DE, or even a young dynamic WR for? A long time. I honestly can see far better players in those positions at 26.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All we need is Gaither to have a elite oline.

That is a good point about us needing CB and WR for ages. I have a gut feeling we dont take one judging history.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
All we need is Gaither back at LT to have a elite oline.
fixed it for ya.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
fixed it for ya.
Might as well add healthy to that as well.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:33 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree we really only need to add a tackle to OL to get them back to what they were, but I'd say a LT would be better than a RT. Harbaugh didn't say that Oher was definitely going to be the LT next season, which leads me to believe they're looking at moving him back to the right side (where he should be IMO).

My first choice would be to bring Gaither back for at least a year, that would be the simplest fix. However if he left I wouldn't be against taking a guy in the first round at all. I don't think that just moving Yanda back to RG will fix the issues we had this past season, so I don't think we can add just "some guy" there and be set. Even with the recent picks we've invested in the OL the unit was still one of (if not the) worst on the team last season and it can't be ignored just because of what we've done in the past.

Carimi and Sherrod would be my top targets if we were to draft a guy in the first. I don't think Solder or Smith will be available, and I would be surprised if one or both of the guys I mentioned first are gone too. I'm not much of a fan of Castanzo, and honestly Ijalana kind of reminds me a bit of Oniel Cousins. Both would be dominate guards in the league IMO, but not really suited for the outside. Gilbert is a guy I would mind in the second or third round, and if we were going to keep Oher at LT I'd really think about some how adding Cannon as a RT.

Last edited by coordinator0 : 02-13-2011 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Spelling, of course.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

on baltimoreravens.com it states Gaither wants to come back and play LT. If he comes back and we try to make him a RT then there is no hope for this franchise as long as this coaching staff is around. Plain and simple
Old 02-14-2011, 08:34 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
on baltimoreravens.com it states Gaither wants to come back and play LT. If he comes back and we try to make him a RT then there is no hope for this franchise as long as this coaching staff is around. Plain and simple
Do you think Oher would be pissed about going back to RT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

No all this Oher to LT crap has been cooked up by the media and the coaching staff crumbled to it.

When Oher was drafted the media out of no where put out reports on how we didnt like Gaithers work ethic and he wasnt going to be re-signed. How he was going to be RT etc etc.

after Ohers rookie year he was wonderful at RT, Gaither was great at LT. Oher said "Gaither is the LT, Gaither is better then me". But of course the same media BS popped up again.

In the OTAs Gaither attended, Oher was there also. Oher was at LT Gaither at RT. Gaither lost 30 pounds to get to 310 since he had a big foot injury. Then he had to sit out of a meaningless OTA because of his foot, the same injury that cost him a couple games in 2009. Well the media then went insane trying to crucify him over this.

It was all just a bunch of media BS.