Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 AM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

I think the Ravens know Gaither wants to play LT. They wouldn't be negotiating with him if they still planed on keeping him at RT.

If Gaither comes back, I have very little doubt he wont be playing LT, and rightfully so.
thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:19 AM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally I don't think you should ever invest a 1st rd pick on OL, you can find beastly dominant OLman in the mid and late rounds of the draft. The only time I use a first rd pick is on a OT like Ogden or Gaither guys who have unbelievable ability matched with 6'9 330-350lb frames!

As for the corners if its not Amukamara, or Peterson I like mid round guys like Dowling, Van Dyke, Burney, Chekwa, Wright, and Rucker more than guys like Harris or Smith in rd 1.

IMO our 1st rd pick this year has to be a WR look at the guys that are probably gonna be available at 26......

Jon Baldwin
Torrey Smith

Those guys either way would bring huge upgrades to this team and help our QB progress if he ever will.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
Personally I don't think you should ever invest a 1st rd pick on OL, you can find beastly dominant OLman in the mid and late rounds of the draft. The only time I use a first rd pick is on a OT like Ogden or Gaither guys who have unbelievable ability matched with 6'9 330-350lb frames!

As for the corners if its not Amukamara, or Peterson I like mid round guys like Dowling, Van Dyke, Burney, Chekwa, Wright, and Rucker more than guys like Harris or Smith in rd 1.

IMO our 1st rd pick this year has to be a WR look at the guys that are probably gonna be available at 26......

Jon Baldwin
Torrey Smith

Those guys either way would bring huge upgrades to this team and help our QB progress if he ever will.
This is generally true for every position except LT, which I think you need to take a guy that has first round potential/production. If I was confident that Oher could play effectively at LT or if the coaching staff was determined to keep him there I wouldn't consider taking somebody in the first, although Cariimi, Sherrod, and Cannon would all be a pretty good fit/pick IMO.

As for corner I'm not sure what to think, but I don't think adding mid round talents would help this team in any way except for depth purposes. Also, if you're talking about Chris L. Rucker from Michigan State I wouldn't want him on the Ravens. As a Michigan State homer I've seen him play a lot in his career and he's just not that good IMO.

The receivers are all pretty interesting, Baldwin and Smith would be good fits for this team. My question is would the staff/front office be comfortable in taking them? Baldwin has some work ethic/character issues that I've read about and Smith is more of a body-catcher than what you would be comfortable with. You also have to consider that both are underclassmen, which as we know we tend to stay away from. Personally I'd be happy with any of Baldwin, Smith, Young, Jernigan, Hankerson, Cobb, or Gates.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:28 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We are loaded w/ guys who can be good #2s or nice depth at CB. Unless there is a guy who can be a true lockdown #1 I dont see any reason why we should take him, unless we lose someone during FA.

I want 34 OLB early. Johnson is not a pass rusher or a long term answer. I think Aldon Smith, Ayers will be gone. Perhaps we take Justin Houston at 26.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:48 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
We are loaded w/ guys who can be good #2s or nice depth at CB. Unless there is a guy who can be a true lockdown #1 I dont see any reason why we should take him, unless we lose someone during FA.
I very much agree about CB. We actually have a lot more quality depth than most realize. The only CB I'd be interested in taking at 26 is Jimmy Smith. Other than that we should pass on CB. I actually have a lot of faith in Josh Wilson. He improved throughout the season and was actually playing very well down the stretch.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:34 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

I'd be pissed if Harris fell to 26 and we pass on him.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
I'd be pissed if Harris fell to 26 and we pass on him.
Harris and Smith are the only two corners I'd be happy with taking in the first.

I agree with Ravens1991 that Houston could be our pick if he's there. Even with Kindle possibly coming back I think it would be a good pick, Sergio is pretty much an OLB regardless of scheme and we could get all 3 of Suggs, Houston, and Kindle on the field at the same time in a pass-rush/blitzing set. Again though he's an underclassman so I'm not sure how appealing he will be to the front office...
Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Baltimore definitley goes defense in the first.
Here's my top 6 possible prospects.
6) Cam Jordan
5) Aldon Smith
4) Cam Heyward
3) Justin Houston
2) Aaron Williams
1) Jimmy Smith
Old 02-14-2011, 04:53 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Hes under the radar right now, but I think after the combine/pro-day Brooks Reed will take a huge rise. I actually wouldn't mind taking him in the first. I think he has more upside than Houston, and hes a senior. (which appeals to Ozzie apparently)
Old 02-14-2011, 05:02 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hes under the radar right now, but I think after the combine/pro-day Brooks Reed will take a huge rise. I actually wouldn't mind taking him in the first. I think he has more upside than Houston, and hes a senior. (which appeals to Ozzie apparently)
Look at our history of drafting, you'll notice an overwhelming affinity for seniors by our front office.

I wouldn't mind Reed either, as long as he does raise his stock enough to be taken in the first.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:11 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Look at our history of drafting, you'll notice an overwhelming affinity for seniors by our front office.

I wouldn't mind Reed either, as long as he does raise his stock enough to be taken in the first.
Oh I know. It just came out the wrong way.

If he doesn't raise his stock to the 1st, I would love to move down, get some extra picks, and take him with the early 2nd.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:29 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all in favor of trading up into the teens. This is a weak draft class, especially in the first round and the talent will really start to drop off in the twenties. I'd love to move up to put ourselves in a position to get guys like Julio Jones, Prince Amukamara, Cam Jordan, Robert Quinn or JJ Watt. It would also make sense for teams like Detroit and Minnesota to look at trading back. Not sure we'll actually pursue it, but I'd be all for it. Just a chance to get much better value.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:20 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Prince Amukamara or Robert Quinn would make me burst with joyous rainbows and bunnies
Old 02-15-2011, 01:07 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the Ravens somehow snagged Cam Jordan, who is my favorite prospect in this draft, I would jizztastic all over my living room
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would too, the fact that he can play 34 DE, 43 UT and 43 DLE is awesome. Reminds me of Trevor Pryce back in the day. But we would have to trade up to get Jordan and Im not banking on that happening
Old 02-15-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
I'm all in favor of trading up into the teens. This is a weak draft class, especially in the first round and the talent will really start to drop off in the twenties. I'd love to move up to put ourselves in a position to get guys like Julio Jones, Prince Amukamara, Cam Jordan, Robert Quinn or JJ Watt. It would also make sense for teams like Detroit and Minnesota to look at trading back. Not sure we'll actually pursue it, but I'd be all for it. Just a chance to get much better value.
It would probably be costly to move high enough to get a Jones or Jordan. With all the teams needs, I think trading down would be the better option.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
It would probably be costly to move high enough to get a Jones or Jordan. With all the teams needs, I think trading down would be the better option.
Well like I mentioned, a team like Minnesota and especially Detroit at 12 and 13 could be looking to move back which might mean we'd be able to get a better deal. It's just speculation, but as a team who is very close but has a window that is closing fast, getting a talented player who can make an instant impact would be very appealing.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I'm not sure that our window is closing too fast. Reed and Lewis are pretty much the only aging guys on our team that mean anything, and while they are both a HUGE part of the defense I think we could compete in the future. That's provided we replace them with quality players though, which I have confidence in the front office to do.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:18 AM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Quote:
Well like I mentioned, a team like Minnesota and especially Detroit at 12 and 13 could be looking to move back which might mean we'd be able to get a better deal. It's just speculation, but as a team who is very close but has a window that is closing fast, getting a talented player who can make an instant impact would be very appealing.
I agree, but people like Belichick and Ozzie seem extremely reluctant to give up picks. They actually want more, so it seems unlikely.

You never know what happens. Ozzie loves his guys from Alabama, and maybe he'd make an exception for a case like that, but I honestly can't see it happening. If anything I see him trading down.

But I can't lie. The thought of someone like Julio or Jordan in purple makes me giddy.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
I'm not sure that our window is closing too fast. Reed and Lewis are pretty much the only aging guys on our team that mean anything, and while they are both a HUGE part of the defense I think we could compete in the future. That's provided we replace them with quality players though, which I have confidence in the front office to do.

Your forgeting Boldin,Heap, Hoosh and Mason who are Flaccos 4 best targets. I have confidence in Reed and Dickson be good role players but we dont have the young number 1.

Has anyone heard anything on Aldon Smiths intangibles? I would love if he fell at 26 but if you dont have good intangibles he isnt getting picked by us
Old 02-16-2011, 02:52 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't see Aldon Smith making it to 26, Justin Houston is a much more realistic pass rusher if we do look to add one. Smith is being talked about as a Top 15 guy right now but from everything I understand he's a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Definitely raw though, Houston is a little more polished anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:14 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
Your forgeting Boldin,Heap, Hoosh and Mason who are Flaccos 4 best targets. I have confidence in Reed and Dickson be good role players but we dont have the young number 1.

Has anyone heard anything on Aldon Smiths intangibles? I would love if he fell at 26 but if you dont have good intangibles he isnt getting picked by us
Honestly I don't think losing Housh and Mason will set the team back any, I like Mason but Boldin could do what he does FAR better in that role. The fact that the four you mentioned actually are Flacco's four main targets is a problem in itself. I don't see how we could get much worse at the WR position if we lost Mason and Housh, they're nice safety valves but that's about all they are at this point.

Heap had a nice year but we drafted Dickson and Pitta for a reason, I think they will be able to replicate the production we get out of Heap by the time he retires/leaves in free agency.

Of course we don't have a young number one, that's been a weakness on the Ravens since... forever? I think we're eventually going to get somebody that's young and talented to grow with Flacco, and again I don't think that losing anybody you listed (outside of Boldin, who's only 30 and had a pretty healthy season) is going to set the team back any.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:25 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Sure Boldin is our "#1" but he's a slot WR and has been for years. That's where he does his best work and he's not going to have nearly the same presence on the outside. Housh is a FA and could very well be gone (I ******* hope so) and Mason has been contemplating retirement for years so he's a question mark. That's why we badly a starting caliber WR who can work on the outside quite simply because we don't have one we can count on.

Last edited by TACKLE : 02-16-2011 at 03:28 PM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sure Boldin is our "#1" but he's a slot WR and has been for years. That's where he does his best work and he's not going to have nearly the same presence on the outside. Housh is a FA and could very well be gone (I ******* hope so) and Mason has been contemplating retirement for years so he's a question mark. That's why we badly a starting caliber WR who can work on the outside quite simply because we don't have one we can count on.
Exactly, and that's why I think losing Mason and Houshmanzadeh wouldn't really set the team back any. When I say Boldin can do what Mason does only better I'm referring to him being a short/intermediate target like Mason is. Of course Derrick pretty much works the outside exclusively while Anquan works the middle, but that's not really in Mason's favor IMO.

David Reed is also a slot guy so if we do lose Mason we'll need somebody else to play on the outside (preferably more than one guy), but I think that it wouldn't be too hard to upgrade what we have. Hankerson comes to mind as somebody that would look nice on the outside for this team, although I'd like us to add somebody with better separation skills.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Our WR's aren't very good at getting separation. Hankerson doesn't really help in that department.

I'd prefer someone like Smith, Young, Cobb, or Jernigan.

The one guy who isn't a blazer but I would love to see in purple is Greg Little. He will be stud in the NFL. He plays with a defensive mindset.