Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 02-16-2011, 06:19 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone View Post
Our WR's aren't very good at getting separation. Hankerson doesn't really help in that department.

I'd prefer someone like Smith, Young, Cobb, or Jernigan.

The one guy who isn't a blazer but I would love to see in purple is Greg Little. He will be stud in the NFL. He plays with a defensive mindset.
I realize this, but if we were looking into somebody that can play on the outside instead of focusing on just a speed/separation threat then he would be a good candidate. I've said before that Young, Cobb, Jernigan, and Smith are all above Hankerson for who I want at WR for the Ravens but he's probably the best pure outside target of the bunch. Smith isn't too far behind though, and I think Young could be effective in the Mike Wallace mold (the favorite comparison of his) as well.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:25 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Exactly, and that's why I think losing Mason and Houshmanzadeh wouldn't really set the team back any.
How can you say that? We have NOTHING behind them. Whose going start if they're gone? Marucs Smith? Donte Stallworth? David Reed? Brandon Jones? James Hardy? We are old and have paper thin depth of talent at WR, especially if those guys are gone. We're going to have to take a WR in the first two rounds but it would be tough to depend on a rookie to be one of the primary producers immediately in the offense. I'm all in favor of letting Housh walk but I don't see how Mason leaving wouldn't set the team back.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ya i could live w/ Hoosh walking because I can handle Reed as a #3 slot WR. The thing is IDK if his ceiling is any higher then a good #3 slot WR.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
ya i could live w/ Hoosh walking because I can handle Reed as a #3 slot WR. The thing is IDK if his ceiling is any higher then a good #3 slot WR.
I like what little I've seen of him, but I doubt it.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
How can you say that? We have NOTHING behind them. Whose going start if they're gone? Marucs Smith? Donte Stallworth? David Reed? Brandon Jones? James Hardy? We are old and have paper thin depth of talent at WR, especially if those guys are gone. We're going to have to take a WR in the first two rounds but it would be tough to depend on a rookie to be one of the primary producers immediately in the offense. I'm all in favor of letting Housh walk but I don't see how Mason leaving wouldn't set the team back.
I'm assuming that we actually replace them with somebody that has talent, of course if we just lost them and didn't get anybody else we'd be screwed. What I'm saying, and apparently not all that clearly, is that who we would replace Mason and Housh with wouldn't hold the team back more than those two.

I'm not expecting others to agree with me on this but I just don't think Mason and Housh are that important to the offense. Mason is a nice safety valve, but that's all he is. Housh is in the same mold, but I don't think he comes back to the Ravens anyways. Rookie receivers are really hard to depend on, but it's not like anybody we bring in will be filling big shoes.

I agree on David Reed as well, I don't think he's much more than a slot receiver in the NFL. Probably fits best as a 4th receiver.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:39 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Quote:
Our WR's aren't very good at getting separation. Hankerson doesn't really help in that department.

I'd prefer someone like Smith, Young, Cobb, or Jernigan.

The one guy who isn't a blazer but I would love to see in purple is Greg Little. He will be stud in the NFL. He plays with a defensive mindset.
This is SPOT ON... Hankerson may be elusive fast but the burner that Smith or Young or Jernigan can be.

I still believe we should try and bring back Stallworth if the price is right.
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:13 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

I'd actually prefer to let Mason and Housh walk, re-sign Stalls (he knows he'll be getting more looks now that Mason and Housh are gone) and he'll be cheap.

And draft a WR in the draft within the first 3 rounds.
thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cam is a idiot who doesnt even use Stallworth right, no reason to bring him back because it will be a waste of a spot
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

Cam is an idiot, but he'll have no choice but to use Stalls if Mason and Housh are gone.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

honestly im not sold on Stallworth being a #2. A #3 or #4 yes but not a #2. We wont have a starter next to boldin if Hoosh and Mason leave.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Like I said, keep Stalls as a deep threat, move on from Mason and Housh and draft a WR within the first 3 rounds.

WR group:
Boldin, Rookie, Stalls, Reed, and the TE's sounds good to me
Old 02-18-2011, 01:20 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

honestly our receiving core is awesome right now.
- Derrick Mason & Anquan Boldin are more than solid 1 n 2 guys.
- Housh and Stallworth are different, but playmakers in their own right.
- Thats 4 already then there's Reed who has proven he can make plays.
- James Hardy and Brandon Jones are better than most rookies, by far.
- Thats 7 Wideouts that can all make plays.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:31 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Last edited by GoRavens : 02-18-2011 at 01:34 AM.
GoRavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:37 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want nothing to do with Jeremy Beal. I posted in the Justin Houston thread in the draft forum that I don't see what the fuss is. He isn't overly athletic, he isn't strong at the POA, and while he does have a nice first step his closing speed leaves a ton to be desired. He doesn't look fluid in space and he's very mechanic in his motions. Keep him away from the Ravens, there are a plurality of pass rushers I'd prefer in the second and later rounds over him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Houshmanzadeh and Stallworth are free agents. they aren't coming back unless we re-sign em, and I can't see us doing that. Maybe Stallworth, but definitely not both.

Mason is under contract, so unfortunately, if he wants to return, he can. If he returns, I think it will hold Joe back more than it will help him. I believe he looks his way, too often than he should. We need to get Joe a deep threat that can stretch the field and take advantage of Joe's cannon. We're using Joe in the wrong way if we don't start stretching the field.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:36 AM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I want nothing to do with Jeremy Beal. He isn't overly athletic, he isn't strong at the POA, and while he does have a nice first step his closing speed leaves a ton to be desired. He doesn't look fluid in space and he's very mechanic in his motions
- Beal has tremendous work ethic and he's a leader in the locker room.
- He's also been the most dominate passrusher in college football the past few years. Pass rusher is a huge need for the team. I also look for Beal to test well at the combine, while he's not super athletic, he's very strong, a consistent playmaker, and most importantly, he's really smart on the field.
If not him, I like Markus White in the 5th, Sam Acho in the 3rd, or Mario Addison in the 6th.
This draft really isn't special as far as pass rush

Last edited by GoRavens : 02-18-2011 at 07:38 AM.
GoRavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 AM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Quote:
I really hope you are being sarcastic here.

- Mason is 37 years old, and doesn't consistently show up against the better CB's in the NFL. Boldin is a beast, but if you don't have someone to stretch the field, its pretty easy for defenses to play him tight.
- Housh is another possession WR, and clearly isn't the same player he was in Cincy, although I'll admit hes an upgrade from Mason. Now Stalls is the perfect compliment to Boldin, but they are both injury prone.
- Both of these guys most likely will strictly be STers if they're still on the roster by the start of the regular season
Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
- Beal has tremendous work ethic and he's a leader in the locker room.
- He's also been the most dominate passrusher in college football the past few years. Pass rusher is a huge need for the team. I also look for Beal to test well at the combine, while he's not super athletic, he's very strong, a consistent playmaker, and most importantly, he's really smart on the field.
If not him, I like Markus White in the 5th, Sam Acho in the 3rd, or Mario Addison in the 6th.
This draft really isn't special as far as pass rush
Actually, he's far from the most dominant pass rusher in college football the past few years. In fact, he's only had one season where he had more then 10 sacks, which was 09. Guys like Clayborn, Bowers, Kerrigan have all been more dominant, and thats only looking at this draft class, not ones from years past. I agree pass rusher is a big need for the team, but I just don't see it with Beal. I don't think he's got the athleticism or burst to kick it as an OLB in the NFL, not to mention the issues I think he has in space. Keep him outta here. As far as alternative suggestions, someone like Brooks Reed in the second or Jabaal Sheard in the third would make me happier.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:04 AM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

All these criticisms for Beal remind me of Woodley. People brought up the same problems with him. Not athletic, not good enough in coverage to play OLB, and also had a bad week at the senior bowl to top it all off.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:19 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
All these criticisms for Beal remind me of Woodley. People brought up the same problems with him. Not athletic, not good enough in coverage to play OLB, and also had a bad week at the senior bowl to top it all off.
Though Woodley was a dominant pass rusher in his senior year at Michigan. Beal is solid but was never the player Woodley was.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I was a giant fan of Woodley and I hate Beal. Take that for what its worth, but I dont see them as similar players.
Quote:
Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 AM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Though Woodley was a dominant pass rusher in his senior year at Michigan. Beal is solid but was never the player Woodley was.
Woodley according to many was just a one year wonder.

Beal since his second year, has always had good sack numbers. Just last year, he was 1 sack away from tying Woodley's total. This year, he was only 3 sacks away, so its not like Woodley was on another planet.

The only difference I see is hindsight.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

Here's the top 10 most likely candidates to join the Ravens in the first round.
10) OLB, Aldon Smith.
9) DE, Allen Bailey.
8) WR, Torrey Smith.
7) DE, Cam Heyward.
6) DE, JJ Watt.
5) DE, Drake Nevis
4) CB, Brandon Harris.
3) WR, Titus Young.
2) CB, Jimmy Smith
1) CB, Aaron Williams
I'm not sold on WR being a first round need.. The depth at 3-4 DE is there, considering our D-Line is aging, we might hop on one of those 4 prospects. Bailey is unlikely, but his potential is enormous. Heyward is solid, Watt is the best in run support, and Nevis is the most athletic and the most disruptive behind the line.
Any OLB in the first would be a reach, unless Smith drops. Pass Rusher can get taken care of later.. As far as CBs, Smith and Williams are my favorite.
Only WR I'd like in the 1st is Titus Young, he's the ideal receiver we need for our offense.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I don't know I just can't see why a receiver wouldn't be a first round need on this team. Maybe if you don't feel like the value would be there I could understand where you're coming from, but with only Boldin, Mason, Reed, Hardy, and Jones as the receivers we really need to get some explosiveness at the position. I doubt Hardy and Jones make the final roster as well, but I'm hoping Hardy does.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:10 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Jbond was on IRC today talking saying he's heard the Ravens are extremely high on David Reed and may not be planning to address WR as early as previously thought. Obviously it's all just chatter at this point but take it for what it's worth.
Quote: