Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 12-13-2008, 04:15 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 2009 Draft thread

Obviously this will change after Free Agency when new players are signed and old players sign with other teams. For now...

1 - OLB - An impact DE conversion is desperately needed. Vrabel is on his last legs and has looked terrible rushing the passer this year. Adalius Thomas is pretty old as well. Behind those two, the Pats only have undrafted free agents like Pierre Woods and Vince Redd, and an unfinished project in Shawn Crable who has not played at all this year. The Pats are getting killed on 3rd downs this year and are not applying any pressure at all on opposing QBs.

A smallish DE like George Selvie, Everette Brown, Larry English, or Clint Sintim (plays OLB in the 34 for Virgina) is what the Pats need. Vrabel has 1 more year left in him and a replacement needs to be groomed and ready to step in once he's gone.

2 - CB - Deltha ONeal is showing why he was cut by the Begals. Ellis Hobbs is decent but nothing special. His contract will be up soon anyways and I doubt he will re-sign. Terrence Wheatley looked decent in his limited playing time, but he has a long history of being injury prone, and got injured in the one and only game he saw significant time in this year. I have a bad feeling that Wheatley will never last a 16+ game season and will be a regular on the injury list. Wilhite is only a nickle/dime CB.

A cornerback in the early 2nd (with the Chargers pick) is a no-brainer. Alphonso Smith, Darius Butler, Mike Mickens.

2b - RB - Maroney is made out of glass. Sammy Morris has had injury problems as well. Lamont Jordan won't be re-signed. Kevin Faulk is great but he's getting up there in age and is only a 3DB to begin with. BJGE has looked decent but he's a 3rd stringer on most teams.

Look at the impact that guys like Forte, Slaton, Chris Johnson, Hightower, etc have had on their teams success this year. Picking up a RB late in Rd2 would give the Pats a legitimate running game and help protect Brady. Someone like Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, James Davis, who are reliable and durable backs to provide some stability to this injury riddled group in New England.

3 - SS - Meriweather is a FS and needs to be moved there. James Sanders is one of the worst starters on the Pats defense and at times I barely notice he's even on the field. Sanders is slow, bad in coverage, undersized. He's more of a back up and STer. A big SS like Kevin Ellison would be a nice pick up here.

4 - OG

5 - ILB - Worrell Williams - DJ's younger brother. Very stout and ideal size for the Pats ILB position. Could be a nice addition alongside Mayo. Has experience playing in the 34 this season in College. Bruschi will retire and the Pats are so desperate at LB that they brought Seau out of retirement... again. An infusion of youth is needed at LB. Worrell starts off on Special Teams and eventually starts over Gary Guyton, who lacks the bulk to play SILB.

6 - WR - NE already has 2 studs in Moss/Welker. Take a flyer here on a slot receiver with decent hands.
HellonEarth84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonEarth84 View Post
Obviously this will change after Free Agency when new players are signed and old players sign with other teams. For now...

1 - OLB - An impact DE conversion is desperately needed. Vrabel is on his last legs and has looked terrible rushing the passer this year. Adalius Thomas is pretty old as well. Behind those two, the Pats only have undrafted free agents like Pierre Woods and Vince Redd, and an unfinished project in Shawn Crable who has not played at all this year. The Pats are getting killed on 3rd downs this year and are not applying any pressure at all on opposing QBs.

A smallish DE like George Selvie, Everette Brown, Larry English, or Clint Sintim (plays OLB in the 34 for Virgina) is what the Pats need. Vrabel has 1 more year left in him and a replacement needs to be groomed and ready to step in once he's gone.

2 - CB - Deltha ONeal is showing why he was cut by the Begals. Ellis Hobbs is decent but nothing special. His contract will be up soon anyways and I doubt he will re-sign. Terrence Wheatley looked decent in his limited playing time, but he has a long history of being injury prone, and got injured in the one and only game he saw significant time in this year. I have a bad feeling that Wheatley will never last a 16+ game season and will be a regular on the injury list. Wilhite is only a nickle/dime CB.

A cornerback in the early 2nd (with the Chargers pick) is a no-brainer. Alphonso Smith, Darius Butler, Mike Mickens.

2b - RB - Maroney is made out of glass. Sammy Morris has had injury problems as well. Lamont Jordan won't be re-signed. Kevin Faulk is great but he's getting up there in age and is only a 3DB to begin with. BJGE has looked decent but he's a 3rd stringer on most teams.

Look at the impact that guys like Forte, Slaton, Chris Johnson, Hightower, etc have had on their teams success this year. Picking up a RB late in Rd2 would give the Pats a legitimate running game and help protect Brady. Someone like Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings, James Davis, who are reliable and durable backs to provide some stability to this injury riddled group in New England.

3 - SS - Meriweather is a FS and needs to be moved there. James Sanders is one of the worst starters on the Pats defense and at times I barely notice he's even on the field. Sanders is slow, bad in coverage, undersized. He's more of a back up and STer. A big SS like Kevin Ellison would be a nice pick up here.

4 - OG

5 - ILB - Worrell Williams - DJ's younger brother. Very stout and ideal size for the Pats ILB position. Could be a nice addition alongside Mayo. Has experience playing in the 34 this season in College. Bruschi will retire and the Pats are so desperate at LB that they brought Seau out of retirement... again. An infusion of youth is needed at LB. Worrell starts off on Special Teams and eventually starts over Gary Guyton, who lacks the bulk to play SILB.

6 - WR - NE already has 2 studs in Moss/Welker. Take a flyer here on a slot receiver with decent hands.
I think that an inside linebacker or an outside linebacker is a need, but Crable looked good before he got hurt. Don't dismiss Guyton either...BB and the coaches are very high on him and he is very athletic. The more I see of Clint Stintim the more I like him and his fit into the system.

For corner, Hobbs is a good #2, Wheatley had worked himself into a starting role until he broke his wrist (not the wrist that had given him trouble in college). He and Wilhite are very, very fast and athletic and have looked good when they have been on the field. Plus, I think Hobbs signs here again as I don't know how much attention he would draw on the open market. I do agree that a corner is needed, I personally like Harris from Va Tech.

I doubt that a rookie RB could have a profound impact on this patriots team, seeing as our play call selection is overwhelmingly pass. More balance would be nice, but we are still a pass first team. I'd rather draft a TE over a WR, Watson has had a down year and Thomas has been invisible.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to see us take a DB with our first pick. We do need help at linebacker still but we have added some very talented young guys, they are just extremely raw and need to develop. We desperately need help in the secondary at both corner and safety, I would love to see us grab someone Alphonso Smith or William Moore in the first. Moore could play both safety spots like Meriweather which would make him even more valuable as well as making James Sanders a top notch backup/special teamer.

Hopefully Carble is ready to play next year because we need him. We are lacking a pass rush and it could really improve if Crable makes an impact with Adalius healthy. Vrabel has really slowed down but I don't think we take DE/OLB with in the first two rounds. I would love for us to take Brandon Spikes if he were available, I know Guyton has looked great but Spikes and Jerod would be an insane ILB tandem. Guyton can play outside as well which makes him so important. We have some young talent at LB, we just need them to develop and stay healthy.

I would rank our needs like this-

1. DB (corner or safety, we desperately need help at both. wheatley and wilhite have potential but we obviously have still have issues at corner. willie moore is one of my favorite prospects for us because he can play both spots and is a solid all around player with all of the tools to be a stud)

2. LB (again, we could go either ILB or DE/OLB, we still need to add some more youth)

3. OL (especially a RG or LT, maybe even a center, we have no depth)

4. RB (I still don't want to give up on Maroney but the injuries are out of control, BJGE has looked good but he is one dimensional, Faulk is getting old, Morris is good but he's always hurt, Jordan has looked OK but he is never on the field either. lots of backs but the bottom line is they are always hurt)

5. WR (Gaffney is OK but we really do need another young target since the ChadJackson experiment failed. Washington, Slater, and Aiken are mainly special teamers)

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

William Moore isn't the prospect everyone thought he was last year. He's looked pretty bad at times this season. I wonder where his stock is at this point, but this is a pretty DEEP draft for Safeties. You can draft a decent prospect in the 3-4 rounds this year.

Also don't forget we have two 2nd rounders this year
Old 12-14-2008, 01:32 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
William Moore isn't the prospect everyone thought he was last year. He's looked pretty bad at times this season. I wonder where his stock is at this point, but this is a pretty DEEP draft for Safeties. You can draft a decent prospect in the 3-4 rounds this year.

Also don't forget we have two 2nd rounders this year
He really hasn't been healthy this season. Moore has a ton of potential and I think he would be a great fit in our defense. Moore, like Meriweather, can play both safety spots which would help us maximize his potential. When healthy Moore is solid against the run and a ballhawk in coverage, and the coverage aspect is something that James Sanders is not too strong in. Moore's injuries do scare me (the last thing we need is another injury prone defender) and we really need a corner, but I would be pumped if we drafted him.

As for other safeties, the next best guy for us is probably Rashad Johnson. Great cover guy who has all of the intangibles and is a ballhawk. Patrick Chung, Kevin Ellison, Mike Hamlin, Courtney Greene, and Nic Harris are all guys who I could see fitting in here as well.

Feed Moncrief

Last edited by Don Vito : 12-14-2008 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:03 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

I doubt we go Safety in the first again. Sanders will most likely be re-signed and I believe Tank Williams is still signed but on the IR. Sign Sanders to a short term deal, and groom his replacement.

Kevin Ellison, Patrick Chung, Courtney Greene... I like those guys at SS in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Tank was going to be more of a linebacker on passing downs/special teamer than a safety before he got hurt. He certainly has talent but he has been injury riddled throughout his whole career and that must be taking a toll on his body. Guys like Ellison, Chung, and Greene would be great pick ups but I still would be open to taking Willie Mo in the first.

Here are a couple of scenarios that could be nice fore us:

1. William Moore S Mizzou
2a. Macho Harris CB VT
2b. Larry English DE/LB NIU
3. Jonathan Luigs OL Arkansas

1. Brandon Spikes LB Florida
2a. Rashad Johnson FS Bama
2b. James Davis RB Clemson
3. Antwan Barnes CB Maryland

Feed Moncrief
Old 12-14-2008, 08:46 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post

Here are a couple of scenarios that could be nice fore us:

1. William Moore S Mizzou
2a. Macho Harris CB VT
2b. Larry English DE/LB NIU
3. Jonathan Luigs OL Arkansas
Macho Harris is best fit for the Tampa 2. Probably not a player who would fit our scheme.

I wouldn't bet on English lasting until the mid-late 2nd round. It's a weak draft for DE's and a lot of teams need a pass rusher (Buffalo, Green Bay, Cleveland, etc). Mayock listed his as one of the Top Players in his recent Top 20. Mayock is usually the most accurate (Kipers trash) and English will only improve his stock after the Senior Bowl and Combine.

Quote:
1. Brandon Spikes LB Florida
2a. Rashad Johnson FS Bama
2b. James Davis RB Clemson
3. Antwan Barnes CB Maryland
Spikes would play the same position as Mayo. WILB. No use is spending another 1st rounder when we already have that position filled. Guyton has really impressed as well and offers starting potential. Bo Ruud was also drafted last year and could see some time at ILB. If we do go LB in the 1st rd, it will be an OLB/DE hybrid guy... not another ILB.

Rashad Johnson. Small FS. Much like Meriweather. Again, we already spent a recent pick at that position and won't use another one. If we do go Safety, look for a big physical SS. Kam Chancellor is another player to keep an eye on. 6'4 215 athletic, aggressive, early 2nd round grade on him right now.

James Davis - yes. I like that pick!

Antwan Barnes????? CB from Maryland?? Surely you meant Kevin Barnes. Whom I believe just had a season ending injury.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:45 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Clint Sintim BTW is coached at Virginia in a 3-4 Defense by Al Groh. Former Patriots Linebacker coach. Scout.com had an insider article on Patriots Scouting the Virginia players. Al Groh has a very good relationship with Sintim and says praises him as a great OLB prospect. Groh has coached many great LB's FTR - Lawrence Taylor, Carl Banks, Willie McGinest, Andre Triplett, etc.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like sintim alot, the more I see of him the more I envision him being in a patriots uniform. That beign said, I also really like Alphonso Smith from Wake, Moore from Mizzou, Harris from VaTech. I'm not sure if the pats go LB early in this draft. they normally don't, and did twice last year (Mayo, Crable), plus with Guyton who they seem to love and Redd who has alot of potential, im not sure they go LB early. BB loves to have experienced linebackers, and has on numeroud occasions talked about having a balance between youth and experience. My feeling is that the patriots grab a couple low profile FA's at LB and use them to infuse some youth with Mayo, Crable, Guyton, Redd, etc. Safety, TE, CB, even DE and OL depth, are more pressing needs IMO
Old 12-24-2008, 03:16 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

It really depends on how much faith BB has in Crable and Redd. Considering Crable was IR'd and Redd as on the PS, we can't really judge at this point.

I agree with your point on youth/experience. However, even if Crable can replace Vrabel (which is unknown at this point), don't forget that Adalius Thomas is also in his 30's and seems to have slowed down since his Bmore days. We still need another future OLB on the other side. I highly doubt Pierre Woods is capable of filling those shoes. Redd is unknown right now.

I will say one thing though - Sintim is the anti-Crable. Going into the draft, Crable was undersized, undeveloped, no true position, boom or bust pick, project player taken on potential.

Sintim has experience in the 3-4. Will play OLB in the NFL. Ideal height/weight. Developed by former Pats LB Coach Al Groh. Can step in and contribute earlier than a project like Crable. Far more NFL-ready than any other prospect in recent years (Gholston, Crable, Groves, Manny Lawson). More of a sure thing than a boom or bust. I wouldn't let that slip past me with a pick in the 20's and many questions marks with the current OLB situation.

Last edited by HellonEarth84 : 12-24-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:22 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Connor Barwin is another OLB to look for.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:16 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

-Pass Rushing OLB(adds depth as well- we won't have Seau and Colvin back)
-CB
-SS
-ILB
-RT
-CB
-WR

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:41 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
-Pass Rushing OLB(adds depth as well- we won't have Seau and Colvin back)
-CB
-SS
-ILB
-RT
-CB
-WR
Agree. Maybe not in that order though. It depends what value is available at those draft spots.

The more I look into it, the more it looks like a quality OLB will be available at our 2nd Rd Chargers Pick. Depends on who rises and falls after Senior Bowl and Combine too.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would rate the needs as

1. OLB-I like the look of Crable but don't think he will ever be the impact player that is required.

2. SS-Really liking the development of Merriweather but Sanders could do with being replaced.

3. CB-By no means should we take a first round CB unless Davis falls. Give the two rookies from last year more time with hopefully a pass rush. Maybe Mike Mickens in the late 2nd.

4. O-line depth-A third or fourth on someone like Loadholt if he's there.

5. ILB-I agree that Guyton should be given a chance at starting for the season but depth is worrying.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Wilhite began to impress me as the season progressed and he got more and more playing time, although he clearly has things to improve upon, who doesn't? Wheatley looked pretty good until he hurt his wrist. Personally, I think the patriots need some more LB depth, even with alot of the young guys that they have in there now (mayo, guyton, crable {dont sleep on vince redd yet either}) and some depth at CB is needed (Hobbs is a #2, not a #1, and I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a CB in the first round as guys seemingly get hurt every year, and we have little to no real depth at the position anyways). we need a versatile interior lineman (can play both guards, maybe center) for depth, and I like Kazcur but he could be upgraded in the middle rounds if someone falls in this deep class of tackles. and ILB could use a stud because Guyton is intriguing and has looked good at times, but we have no depth there almost at all
Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im a huge fan of brandon spikes, and if he were available, i would love for the patriots to pick him up. spikes and mayo, along with guyton, would be an exciting and orgasmic tandem for the next few years!

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM    (permalink
Bradyjackson12
Rookie

Bradyjackson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Patriots 2009 mock draft

The will probably be some more draft picks if Cassel is trade which is likely to happen and I didn't really consider OLB as a big need because I think injuries were the biggest reason to our difficulties this year. Adalius Thomas and Vrabel will be back healthy this year and they should have more impact but also Crable and Reed who will be first year player should help bring pressure to the opposite QB.

1st round:
#23 Vontae Davis CB Illinois
2nd Round:
#48 (SD) David Bruton S Notre Dame
#55 Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina
3rd Round:
#87 Rashad Jennings RB Liberty
#97 Kevin Barnes CB Maryland
4th Round:
#119 Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss
5th Round:
#151 Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly
6th Round:
#183 Xavier Fulton OT Illinois
7th Round:
#215 Antonio Appleby ILB Virginia
Undrafted:
RFA Khalif Mitchell OT East Carolina
RFA Nic Harris S/LB hybrid Oklahoma
He could play the same hybrid position that Tank Williams was learning during last year pre-season.

Give me some feedback
Bradyjackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Vontae Davis is exactly the type of player that Belichick always stays away from.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Vontae Davis is exactly the type of player that Belichick always stays away from.
thats what everyone was saying about brandon meriweather too when he came out of miami........ (cant spell his name correctly)

Old 01-17-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

plus i doubt he falls to us anyways
Old 01-17-2009, 04:57 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
1st round:
#23 Vontae Davis CB Illinois
I really liked Vontae before this season and there is no doubt he has a ton of talent, but he is coming off of a poor junior season. That being said, he has the talent to be an elite shutdown corner in the NFL and that certainly is tempting. I don't know if BB takes a guy who struggled on the field so much in his last season but the ability is definitely there. I know we have Adalius coming back and a ton of young guys including Crable, but there will be a guy like Sintim available at the end of the first who could make a huge impact in our linebacking corps for years to come. There is much more depth at corner in this class whereas the group of pass rushers is kind of top heavy, I say we go for a guy like Sintim and focus on the secondary with our two second rounder.

Quote:
2nd Round:
#48 (SD) David Bruton S Notre Dame
Good pick. Bruton is a very well-rounded and smart player who could be a great SS for us but also play free. Bruton would complement Meriweather very well and would push James Sanders to a backup/situational role where I believe he would excel.

Quote:
#55 Jamon Meredith OT South Carolina
Meredith is a great fit for our line, but we haven't taken a linebacker yet which we would need to address. However I really like Meredith and he could project to a number of positions on the line; his athleticism, versatility, and youth would be very valuable.

Quote:
3rd Round:
#87 Rashad Jennings RB Liberty
Not too sure about this pick. I love Jennings as a prospect, he has a very high ceiling and could be a great runner for some team, but we don't need another power back. If we take any RB we need a back who is a home run threat who can contribute as a runner, receiver, and even returner to be groomed as Faulk's replacement. I think Jennings could be a stud in the NFL in the mold of Michael Turner, but we simply don't need him. We have Morris, Jordan, Green-Ellis, and Evans to pound the rock.

Quote:
#97 Kevin Barnes CB Maryland
Great pick. If Barnes falls to the third he will be a steal for some team, and I believe he very well could fall this far. Barnes has all of the tools to be a great NFL corner; he is big, fast, instinctive, and is a HUGE hitter. He can play man and zone and would be a great addition to our secondary. Not only can he cover but he is a physical corner who would make a formidable tandem with Vontae Davis.

Quote:
4th Round:
#119 Shawn Nelson TE Southern Miss
Decent pick. Nelson is a TE/slot receiver type ala David Thomas, just with more size and ability. Nelson is very athletic and was very productive in college, and we could use another weapon in the passing game. I could see the staff falling in love with Nelson.

Quote:
5th Round:
#151 Ramses Barden WR Cal Poly
This is wishful thinking to hope Barden falls this far, but if he did I would not oppose to us taking him. He is a huge target with great body control and athleticism, think Plaxico Burress without the issues. We generally don't look for huge receivers but I would not oppose to taking Barden.

Quote:
6th Round:
#183 Xavier Fulton OT Illinois
OK pick. Fulton is a very athletic pass blocker but he isn't physical offers very little in the running game. We do need a blindside protector to learn behind Light and take over for him in a few years, but Fulton is still pretty raw. He would be in a great situation in New England since he could develop for a few years before starting. The kid has a ton of potential as a pass blocker and would be a pretty good fit for our offense if he could just get a little tougher in the run game.

Quote:
7th Round:
#215 Antonio Appleby ILB Virginia
This is one of the best picks in your mock as far as value is conerned. Appelby is another huge and very athletic UVA linebacker and he is tailor made for our 3-4. He could be a super inside guy but he can also play outside if need be. I would absolutely love if we got Appelby in the fourth or fifth, let alone the seventh.

Quote:
Undrafted:
RFA Khalif Mitchell OT East Carolina
RFA Nic Harris S/LB hybrid Oklahoma
It's kind of tough to project UDFA's, but I give you props for trying. I don't know much about Khalif Mitchell but based off of his triangle numbers he looks like a solid fit for our line, but you cannot evaluate offensive lineman on triangle numbers. Nic Harris is not going undrafted, he may be taken as early as the second round. I would love to get him and have him in that Tank Williams role as you said, though.

Overall, the secondary got upgraded in a big way. We certainly need some youth and talent in our secondary and if we added Davis, Bruton, and Barnes we would be in a good spot with Meriweather, Wheatley, Wilhite, and even Hobbs as other young guys who have a ton of potential. I agree with you that our pass rush will be muched improved with a healthy Adalius and Crable as well as having the young guys come back with another year of experience, but I think we still need a young guy who will be a gamechanger. Crable has that ability but we haven't seen enough of him yet, I would love Sintim in red and blue. You also got some OL help with Meredith and Fulton, two guys who are great fits for our line. I like how we got a few more talented receiving weapons as well, we need some young talent there. One thing I think we need is a developmental space eating NT because if Wilfork goes down we don't have another big guy. Mike Wright is more of a third down/high motor guy, he couldn't be an every down NT. This was a pretty solid mock overall, great effort too.

Feed Moncrief
Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
thats what everyone was saying about brandon meriweather too when he came out of miami........ (cant spell his name correctly)
No. Meriweather was a Team Captain. Great leader on Miami. His problems were off the field, and also during a brawl that he did not cause.

Vontae Davis is a primadonna like his brother. His coaches benched him this year(that never happened to BWare). You can't even compare that to Meriweather.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No. Meriweather was a Team Captain. Great leader on Miami. His problems were off the field, and also during a brawl that he did not cause.

Vontae Davis is a primadonna like his brother. His coaches benched him this year(that never happened to BWare). You can't even compare that to Meriweather.
I know he didnt start it, but the fact that he got a suspension for stomping on a guys face doesn't help his cause. He took ALOT of heat from the national media for it. You can't say that they were just off the field.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

I wanted us to take Meriweather so badly that year. I liked Michael Griffin and I thought Eric Weddle could be a decent pickup due to his versatility. but I really wanted Meriweather. I went nuts when they announced the selection, I couldn't believe it. He had some problems at Miami but has been a model citizen for us and is really developing into a hell of a player.

Our coaches have shown the ability to turn players with bad reputations or poor team attitudes into stars that don't cause problems (Dillon, Moss, Meriweather). What our staff has not done is turn great athletes who aren't tough, solid football player into stars. Vontae Davis does kind of have that reputation, but he has a ton of ability. If we drafted him I would be confident knowing the staff picked him because they can make him a stud, I just can't see us drafting him. There is no denying his ability though, just like his brother.

Feed Moncrief