Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 02-12-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
Which would screw us out of FA safeties - Cassel this year or Ocho next year?

I'd really like to see a S drafted this year anyway. My gut feeling is Seymour may be a casualty next year, or maybe Wilfork. I won't like it, but I don't see them both being re-signed.

Moss is up in 2011, so it would be one year with Moss, Ocho, and Welker . . .

Stop crushing my dreams. lol
I would rather have Wilfork than Ocho :p

I'm pretty sure Wilfork isn't allowed to leave. He's pretty much the reason our the most important player on our line. Lot of money comes off the books next year. We'll be able to get something done with both he and Seymour, hopefully.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well . . . if lots of money is freed up (and there's the looming lack of a CBA) then perhaps we can have all 3. :)

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well . . . if lots of money is freed up (and there's the looming lack of a CBA) then perhaps we can have all 3. :)
That would be nice haha.

Still think Johnson is much more of a headache then he is worth. He would absolutely explode playing next to Randy Moss, but I can't handle his ego personally. He contributed more than a little to the Bengals blowing up. We took a risk with Randy Moss and lucked out with a good guy once. Wouldn't want to try running through the fire again haha.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See, I think Ocho is a safer move than Moss. Chad has never quit on the field. Ever. He's more like Corey Dillon - a "malcontent" - or, more appropriately, a guy who played hard and did everything right for many years while playing for one of the biggest jokes in the league.

I'm fine with the guy who finally says enough is enough when it comes to the losing franchise he has given everything to over the years. Winning puts an end to that type of malcontent PDQ.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
See, I think Ocho is a safer move than Moss. Chad has never quit on the field. Ever. He's more like Corey Dillon - a "malcontent" - or, more appropriately, a guy who played hard and did everything right for many years while playing for one of the biggest jokes in the league.

I'm fine with the guy who finally says enough is enough when it comes to the losing franchise he has given everything to over the years. Winning puts an end to that type of malcontent PDQ.
He's got way too big of a mouth though, and I always argued that it was all in good fun with Chad until the past couple years...but he's got a bit of media ***** in him. Don't like that, personally.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-12-2009, 12:33 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I've given up hope for anything else from a true stud WR. Maybe the Cards would trade us Fitz.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:35 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

We all know that isn't happening haha. I wish we somehow had the money to land Boldin. That would be great, both now and after Moss.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM    (permalink
hannah73
Rookie

hannah73 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default more pats draft ideas

Pettigrew/ TE OSU. Already wrote about. Complete TE. NOt great speed but great size, athletic ability, phenom as a blocker, etc. 1st. Think Graham with better athletic ability and hands.

Percy Harvin WR/RB. One of a kind athlete who gets huge yards with every touch either as WR or RB. Not immature like Chad Jackson. 1st

Jarius Byrd from Oregon, great ball skills, unreal athlete. Not sure if he has enough man cover skills or pure speed. Son of a NFL CB. Decent size at 6'0" 200 lbs. Probably 3rd round.

Phil Loadholt, maybe would be a good RT, although they said he looked better at LT during the senior bowl. Probably 2nd round.

Tyrone McKenzie could play OLB or ILB, great athlete, great production. 4th/5th.

Scott McKillop, one of those LBs who is super productive but won't measure that well, was also a great wrestler in high school, good sign. Decent size. 4th/5th

Nic Harris, Safety/OLB Oklahoma, seems too big to play safety at 6'3" 230, but is a world better than sanders and has the size of Rodney. Good coverage ability, super production, great intangibles, true football player. 3rd/4th.

Quan Cosby/ WR Texas 6th smaller WR with great hands, kind of Branch-esque. Super productive. If the pats don't draft Harvin.

Tyson Jackson DE/ LSU. Good 3-4 potential but production slacked off after sophomore year for some reason. Should be good at holding the point. 2nd / 3rd round.

Alex Mack C / G Cal. Koppen isn't that good and can't handle large DL. Could play guard as needed. 2nd

Ricky Jean-Francois LSU. DE/DT Super talented though a little short to play 3-4 end at 6'3". Very strong and quick, but checkered productivity at LSU partly due to injuries. 5th/6th

Marlon Lucky RB Nebraska. Good production early at Nebraska...less later partly due to coaching changes. Good receiving ability also. 5th/6th

Mitch King DL Iowa undersized DL played LB in high school. Great speed, quickness, athletic ability, strength. 6'2" 270, kind of Bruschi esque. Would have to lose 10-15 pounds. 5th.

Robert Ayers DE TN. Could play Vrabel's role, although the Pats already have a ton of talent there. 2nd
hannah73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:23 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
He's got way too big of a mouth though, and I always argued that it was all in good fun with Chad until the past couple years...but he's got a bit of media ***** in him. Don't like that, personally.
Ya, Chad's not a bad guy, and the way he goes about things makes him look really bad. TJ Houshmandzadeh (UFA by the way) is just as good and does it with his mouth shut.
________
BUY MARIJUANA SEEDS

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:44 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

TJ is more of a possession guy. He's very good, but definitely not as good as Johnson.

Boldin . . . hahaha - well, at least you're dreaming with me now.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Realistically, we have what it takes to acquire him in terms of draft choices, but it's a pipe dream from a finical perspective. Wherever Boldin goes, he's getting paid and then some.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

TE is definitely a need, don't get me wrong, but I don't want to go near a first round TE, but we probably will, that's just how we do things...IMO there are bigger needs on defense, but if the pats took Pettigrew I could understand their reasoning with Watson and Thomas set to be free agents at the end of next year. I think the more likely move would be to grab a decent veteran option (Im not sure exactly who is available), if there is one, specifically a blocking TE. Again, if they take Pettigrew I could see the reasoning, wanting a young TE to have for the future with Watson and Thomas likely to leave next year, or at least capable of leaving next year.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Another possibility that may seem to be against the grain is for the patriots to draft a WR. Somebody like DHB, Nicks, maybe even Harvin if he appeals to the coaches could be drafted in the first round. Aside from Moss and Welker, we really don't have any legitimate talent at WR (damn you Chad Jackson!)
Old 02-13-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bear Pascoe in the 4th round would be nice.

and hes from Fresno State like Mankins and Sanders. BB seems to like drafting out of there.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:24 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigburt63 View Post
Another possibility that may seem to be against the grain is for the patriots to draft a WR. Somebody like DHB, Nicks, maybe even Harvin if he appeals to the coaches could be drafted in the first round. Aside from Moss and Welker, we really don't have any legitimate talent at WR (damn you Chad Jackson!)
Wouldn't want to dirty our hands with Harvin. I'm skeptical about DHB as well. Don't think Nicks would be the greatest fit either...but should he fall to us in the second and I don't think he would, I would be all over it. Britt even more so than Nicks.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Larry English

Brian Cushing

Alphonso Smith

Clint Sintim

Mike Mickens

Patrick Chung

Worrell Williams

Antonio Appleby

Bear Pascoe

Otis Wiley

Chip Vaughn
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we get minny's first, we should grab Pettigrew. He's a great player.

But our first and foremost priority has to be Alphonso Smith, He's an amazing corner, and the only reason he's not top 10 is because of his height.

Lauraintis is another strong option. I think outside we gotta give Crable more time.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
Wouldn't want to dirty our hands with Harvin. I'm skeptical about DHB as well. Don't think Nicks would be the greatest fit either...but should he fall to us in the second and I don't think he would, I would be all over it. Britt even more so than Nicks.
Oh I'm not saying Im high on Harvin or DHB, just that the surprise pick I could see happening is going WR. Harvin is intriguing, but I don't know how well he fits in the NFL, but there are a few offenses (NE, Indy to name a couple) that could maximize his abilities, as he is an incredible athlete.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:57 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm high on Harvin and even more so if they get an extra 1st for Cassel. My dream draft would probably go something like:

DJ Moore
Harvin
Matthews
Barwin
Casey

Hell i might even move back there.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:22 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
I'm high on Harvin and even more so if they get an extra 1st for Cassel. My dream draft would probably go something like:

DJ Moore
Harvin
Matthews
Barwin
Casey

Hell i might even move back there.
That wouldn't be a bad haul. Have to disagree with you about Harvin though...Prefer Britt or DHB is we're taking a receiver.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That wouldn't be a bad haul. Have to disagree with you about Harvin though...Prefer Britt or DHB is we're taking a receiver.

My fascination with Harvin if you will is his versatility. The guy has played with weak arm QBs his whole career at Florida, i would like to see him completely healthy and see how he does with a QB that can get the ball down the field. Whether we see that at the combine or in workouts i'm not sure.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:00 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

So what is your ideal draft board, then?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

There are so many ways the patritos could go this draft. S is a huge need, but they could very likely sign a veteran that they feel fits the need. For LB, it comes down to how much they trust the young guys they took last year. I could see the patriots going LB in the first, or not at all. The same can be said for CB, let the young guys from last year develop, pick up a few veterans, or take another CB in the first. DL depth could be used, and a potential replacement for Seymour may be needed. WR depth is really lacking outside of Moss and Welker, and both of our TE's have been at least somewhat disappointing and are both FA's next year. Cassell shoul dbe traded IMO, but depending on what we gets that allows us to fill more holes through the draft. OL depth could be used, but what positions exactly, and when can we find a guy to upgrade on the line without passing up on a chance to fill a bigger need?

I'm not sure what my ideal draft board would look like, but some of the prospects I like in the first are Alphonso Smith, Clint Sintim, JL is starting to grow on me (courtesy of RoP), Louis Delmas, Rashard Johnson (albeit a reach), maybe Aaron Maybin/Brian Cushing/Larry English, and if he were to somehow fall Rey Maulauga.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OL is tough because there are only so many guys that would actually provide upgrades for the Pats. And if they don't upgrade, it's almost pointless to bring in any at all outside of UDFA's...

DL is tricky because Wilfork and Seymour are FA's after 2009. They have pretty solid, long-tenured depth... But if they can nab a guy like Tyson Jackson in the 2nd round...I don't know that they can pass on that.

S is blurry because there are lots of moderately-priced UFA's out there, and it's tough to figure out what the story is with the draft prospects before the combine and workouts... If William Moore is healthy and works out well, it's unlikely he'll even be there at #23... Are any of the UFAs or draft prospects true upgrades over James Sanders (who looked great early in his career, but has been a disappointment since)? It's really tough to tell...

CB...I like DJ Moore and Vontae Davis, but neither is likely to be there... Alphonso Smith just doesn't fit the profile of someone the Pats would draft in the first round (they got Samuel and Hobbs in the 4th and 3rd rounds respectively...why would they use a 1st on a similar prospect?)... And after DJ Moore is gone, the talent level is pretty even...they should be able to get a good corner in the 3rd or 4th fairly easily.

I see LB as an option only if there's a real stud staring them in the face at one of their picks...

So, ya, this is a tough draft to project for the Pats...
________
Live Sex

Last edited by nepg : 09-17-2011 at 07:46 AM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

The Cassel situation makes everything a little crazy. I think there's is no inclination at all to keep him, and the franchise tag is strictly to secure picks in a trade. O'Connell will be expected to step up if Brady has a set back or is really rusty.

A Cassel trade will bring either a 1st round pick (18-24, iirc) or two 2nds, at which point we will see an epic day of classic Patriot Wheel-n-Deal. They could drop a few picks at a time, stocking up with a 2010 pick with each deal and still end up with 4 starters.