Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonEarth84 View Post
future bust
maybe if the team that picks him, expects him to be their work horse. He would be a great complimentary back
Zyro_1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:58 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jahvid Best = Best RB in CFB
Old 02-03-2009, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
Don't be ridiculous.

The man in my sig is the best! :D
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.Zyro_1014 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
wow, dont go too far.

that was a ridiculous statement.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think it's that ridiculous. Best may not be a fantastic NFL prospect, but who is markedly better that's heading back to school for 2009? Caleb King is unproven. C.J Spiller came off an inconsistent year and I'm not even sure his skillset is better than Best's. Murray is a very good runner, but he has injury problems. Who else stands out? Neither Johnson or McKnight at USC could really claim to be better. Dwyer has a much more conducive offense and isn't as talented as Best. Javarris James is a good player, but not better by any real discernible amount. Charles Scott is a a drastically different player, and a good one at that, but I can't really find evidence to call him better.

So I think it's either Devine or Best purely in terms of college quality. And that could go either way.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:27 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyro_1014 View Post
wow, dont go too far.

Sorry but unless there is somebody who breaks out this year and takes the CFB world by storm...I'll take Best as the best RB in cfb.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
wow, dont go too far.

I meant in the 2009 CFB season.

Why was it ridiculous? Best played in 12 games and was 3rd in the nation with an average of 132 yards per game. He had 15TD's and an incredible 8.14 ypc. That was only his sophomore season. Statistically he is one of, if not the best RB returning. I can't think of a better RB going into the '09 season.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

BRAVEHEART, you beat me to it.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:30 AM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post

Sorry but unless there is somebody who breaks out this year and takes the CFB world by storm...I'll take Best as the best RB in cfb.
I'll throw my hat in the ring for Kendall Hunter. 241 carries for 1555 yards and 16 TDs. He plays in a prolific offense but it's hard to compare any back outside of the offensive schemes they play in.

I also have to disagree with the argument that Jon Dwyer isn't as "talented" as Best. Best is faster but Dwyer is at least 30 lbs heavier, far more powerful and is a very smooth runner as well.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Race for the Heisman
Veteran

Race for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

He's been dinged up a bit but I really like Da'Rel Scott, too. Dwyer and Hunter are strong mentions, too. I think Blount of Oregon, Clay of Wisconsin, Devine of West Virginia, and Royster of Penn State are all decent candidates as well depending on how their respective situations pan out. My sleeper would be Mark Ingram of Alabama. That said, Best is more proven than those last four (five with Ingram). The first three are more legitimate options, though.
Race for the Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:19 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

blount would be me second choice, he's so much like J-Stew it's crazy.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
blount would be me second choice, he's so much like J-Stew it's crazy.
hes bigger isnt he?

hes a freak of an athlete.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
wow, dont go too far.

Best's #'s are godly. I don't find that statement all that ridiculous.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Zyro_1014
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
Best's #'s are godly. I don't find that statement all that ridiculous.
i was under the impression that he was talking about this past season, i didnt know he meant next year.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:55 PM    (permalink
saintsalltheway09

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
He's a poor man's Reggie. Take that for what it's worth.
I think he ^ is 100% right.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Burger
Rookie

Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Burger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just hope Cal finds a way to find a good replacement for Alex Mack. We have a in the middle passing game. Kevin Riley was so much better than Longshore. Most of the Line were juniors also.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
He wasn't even the best Running back in the pac 10 last season. A different running back took home pac 10 offensive player of the year.

Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens!
The Destroyer Is Manifest!
I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
DragonFireKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:40 AM    (permalink
Hokie_Pokie08
Rookie

Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.Hokie_Pokie08 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireKai View Post
He wasn't even the best Running back in the pac 10 last season. A different running back took home pac 10 offensive player of the year.
RB A: 194 carries for 1580 yards (8.1 ypc) and 15 tds
27 receptions for 246 yards (9.1 ypr) and 1 td
16 kick returns for 421 yards (26.3 ypr)

RB B: 259 carries for 1253 yards (4.8 ypc) and 11 tds
29 receptions for 247 yards (8.5 ypr) and 1 td

It is blatantly obvious who the better back was.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:05 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Most people agree that Rodgers is a solid young running back, but very few believe he is the best in the conference. Winning an award doesn't make you the best at anything. There are several backs in the Pac-10 who are better than Rodgers, imo. It's just that none of them got to carry the ball 259 times last season.

Best: 194 carries for 1580 yards, 15 TD's - 8.1 YPC

Blount: 137 carries for 1002 yards, 17 TD's - 7.3 YPC

Gerhart: 210 carries for 1136 yards, 15 TD's - 5.4 YPC

Grigsby: 214 carries for 1153 yards, 13 TD's - 5.4 YPC

Rodgers: 259 carries for 1253, 11 TD's - 4.8 YPC

Now, I realize it's not all about stats, but which number carries the most weight here? Carries? Really?

And we can throw the numbers out the window. Just watch them play. It's pretty damn obvious that guys like Best and Blount are superior players to Rodgers.

And no, this is not a list of who I believe to be the top 5 backs in the conference. There are several others who I would take over a few of these guys.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.DragonFireKai is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_Pokie08 View Post
RB A: 194 carries for 1580 yards (8.1 ypc) and 15 tds
27 receptions for 246 yards (9.1 ypr) and 1 td
16 kick returns for 421 yards (26.3 ypr)

RB B: 259 carries for 1253 yards (4.8 ypc) and 11 tds
29 receptions for 247 yards (8.5 ypr) and 1 td

It is blatantly obvious who the better back was.
Being able to break a bunch of long runs against high school teams is nice and all, but Best dissapears when he plays teams with any modicum of defensive talent. Against Penn State, Utah, USC, and Oregon, Jaquizz Rodgers went for 386 yards and 5 TDs. Against Michigan State, Maryland, USC, and Oregon Best went for 259 yards and 1 TD. Rodgers had vastly superior production against the top tier teams in the country. Best has superior long speed, but Rodgers is a much more powerful runner, much better inside, and more elusive. Best relies on blockers to clear out everything in front of him. Rodgers is the superior player, and the people who watched both recognized this, as Rodgers was Pac 10 offensive player of the year, the leader vote getter for the first team all pac 10, and a Doak Walker Semifinalist. Best got fewer first team votes than Rodgers did, lost the offensive player of the year to Rodgers, and was not considered for the Doak Walker award.

I reserve the rights to retract any posts made betwen midnight and 5 AM PST due to being really, really drunk
Old 02-24-2009, 12:45 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Being able to break a bunch of long runs against high school teams is nice and all, but Best dissapears when he plays teams with any modicum of defensive talent. Against Penn State, Utah, USC, and Oregon, Jaquizz Rodgers went for 386 yards and 5 TDs. Against Michigan State, Maryland, USC, and Oregon Best went for 259 yards and 1 TD. Rodgers had vastly superior production against the top tier teams in the country. Best has superior long speed, but Rodgers is a much more powerful runner, much better inside, and more elusive. Best relies on blockers to clear out everything in front of him. Rodgers is the superior player, and the people who watched both recognized this, as Rodgers was Pac 10 offensive player of the year, the leader vote getter for the first team all pac 10, and a Doak Walker Semifinalist. Best got fewer first team votes than Rodgers did, lost the offensive player of the year to Rodgers, and was not considered for the Doak Walker award.
Ok, now compare Blount and Rodgers.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:04 PM    (permalink
DragonFireKai
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Ok, now compare Blount and Rodgers.
Blount is a harder comparison because he hasn't seen as much valuable playing time. Rodgers and Best were the starters, Blount was a backup last season. He's more talented physically than either Rodgers or Best, but that's not all there is to playing the position.

If we do the same comparison, The best 4 teams that Blount played were USC, Oklahoma State, Boise State and Oregon State. In those four games Blount rushed for 285 yards and 3 TDs. That places him solidly behind Rodgers in retrospective analysis.

However, and this is assuming he will no longer be suspended when the season starts, he will presumably improve on those numbers as he gets more carries as the starter. His numbers will also diminish somewhat based on the losses the Ducks face on the offensive line, having to replace 4 starters, as opposed to OSU's 2 starters. I'm honestly not sure where his production will wind up. His overall numbers should go up but how far is more dependent upon the team. The Ducks tend to balance carries between two backs, and I hear they've got a pretty good backup this season. I could see Blount getting 1,200-1,300 yards with the 2 back getting 800-1000.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joe McKnight=Derrick Williams 2.0.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:03 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Reggie Bush/Lesean Mccoy clone...sans not very high

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:41 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Blount is a harder comparison because he hasn't seen as much valuable playing time. Rodgers and Best were the starters, Blount was a backup last season. He's more talented physically than either Rodgers or Best, but that's not all there is to playing the position.
I agree with this, although I'm not sure I'd characterize Blount as a backup. Johnson had 168 attempts for 1201 yards and 13 TD's. Blount had 137 attempts for 1002 yards and 17 TD's. More of a 2 back system if you ask me.

You know, since you're so into using skewed stats as a basis for comparison, how about the fact that Johnson gained nearly as many yards and 2 more TD's than Rodgers on 91 less carries? What if we extrapolate Johnson's stats to match the 259 carries that Rodgers had?

259 carries 1852 yards and 17 TD's

Do the same with Blount:

259 carries 1894 yards and 32 TD's

Rodgers:

259 carries 1253 yards and 11 TD's

And Rodgers was the best offensive player in the Pac-10 last year?

Obviously I'm not attaching much meaning to these numbers. But they're certainly far more relevant to this comparison than the numbers you've dug in with below and in recent posts.

Quote:
If we do the same comparison, The best 4 teams that Blount played were USC, Oklahoma State, Boise State and Oregon State. In those four games Blount rushed for 285 yards and 3 TDs. That places him solidly behind Rodgers in retrospective analysis.
Is this really how you compare running backs to one another? You just take a few random games and tally the total yards and TD's irrespective of injuries or total carries or anything else that may contribute to a clearer picture?

You know how many carries Blount had in your 4 carefully selected games? 41. Rodgers had 37 against SC alone. Pretty convenient huh?

Quote:
However, and this is assuming he will no longer be suspended when the season starts, he will presumably improve on those numbers as he gets more carries as the starter. His numbers will also diminish somewhat based on the losses the Ducks face on the offensive line, having to replace 4 starters, as opposed to OSU's 2 starters. I'm honestly not sure where his production will wind up. His overall numbers should go up but how far is more dependent upon the team. The Ducks tend to balance carries between two backs, and I hear they've got a pretty good backup this season. I could see Blount getting 1,200-1,300 yards with the 2 back getting 800-1000.
Ok, several points need to be made here. First, let us realize that we are comparing individual running backs to one another. Statistical production and how many returning starters on the offensive line are irrelevant factors. It's about how good these guys are as individuals. We're not comparing the Ducks running game to Oregon State's or Cal's or anything. It's Rodgers vs Blount vs Best.

Additionally, not only would losing 4 starters along the offensive line not preclude a team from improving or holding steady in that area, but that number is inaccurate.

Along with C.E. Kaiser at RT, Bo Thran is considered a returning starter having started 5 games and playing much of a sixth. Also, Jordan Holmes started 4 games this past season as well as the Michigan game in '07, and Mark Asper played in 7 games this past season. In addition to this returning experience, we have great depth across the board in terms of talent, creating tight battles at every position on the line.

We also bring back the most important piece of all in one of the best coaches in the game- Steve Greatwood. When was the last time our line struggled when we had to replace a few starters?

Let oddsmakers and bettors assume we'll have trouble along the OL this year. Fans of the Pac-10 should know better. Those who think the story begins and ends with us losing 4 starters and the Beavers only losing 2 are uniformed and will contribute to slanted lines to begin the season.