Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Defensive Player of the Year is
Ed Reed 25 14.97%
Joey Porter 7 4.19%
Nick Collins 1 0.60%
Terrell Suggs 1 0.60%
Troy Polamalu 11 6.59%
James Harrison 35 20.96%
DeMarcus Ware 47 28.14%
Charles Woodson 9 5.39%
Cortland Finnegan 3 1.80%
Albert Hanyesworth 28 16.77%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2008, 04:53 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Troy Polamulu the best player on the best defense.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:04 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
Who did i miss?

Chris Gamble - 75 Tackles, 1 Force Fumble, 2 Interceptions, 60 Yards, 1 Touchdown, 17 Deflections

Good Stats but Woodson and Finnegan are better.

Julius Peppers - 44 Tackles, 5 Force Fumble, 12.5 Sacks, 60 Yards, 4 Deflections

Good Stats but Porter, Ware, and Harrison are better.

Stats are not everything but those players have better stats and a better years in my book
For starters I don't think any Panthers defensive players should be in consideration, never have I eluded to that fact.

The reason why your list is terrible is because there's a whole bunch of players who don't deserve to be on it.

1. Ed Reed hasn't been near good enough to be better than the outside linebackers on the list, so he's got no reason to be up there. Kris Jenkins should be in his spot.

2. Terrell Suggs - you call me a homer and you put a tweener with 6.5 sacks, 2 INTs and a forced fumble up there over Jenkins or Abraham, or Jared Allen.

3. Nick Collins... Not even the best defensive player on his team, let alone in the NFL.

4. Finally someone worth of recognition

5. Polamalu, fair enough but someone who's benefiting greatly by having one of, if not the best front seven in football in front of him and 2 great young OLB's harrassing Qbs. He benefits to much to be the winner.

6. Harrison - Fair enough

7. Ware - Fair enough

8. Finnegan - Fair enough, but he's not been the best defensive player on his team.

9. Albert Haynesworth is fair enough also

Porter doesn't tackle nearly enough for an outside linebacker to be up there. He's been getting after the QB, sure, but he's not been the best OLB in the AFC, let alone the NFL.

The List should be

Harrison

Woodson

Haynesworth

Jenkins

Ware

Finnegan

No Ravens should even be in the discussion.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hm. I'd say I look at it like this...

1. Albert Haynesworth
2. James Harrison
3. DeMarcus Ware
4. Shaun Rogers
5. Joey Porter
6. Troy Polamalu
7. Kris Jenkins

Harrison probably has the inside track to actually winning the thing though.

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 12-15-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After tonight, the award should be given to Ware. Damn he was just beasting it. The life of a 3-4 OLB is sweet compared to every other position in the NFL.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 AM    (permalink
cdub11
Veteran

cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cdub11 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

for me its a 3 man race and I have Ware over Haynesworth & Harrison
cdub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ware should lock this up. He had a huge night last night and Haynesworth is likely to miss the next 2 games.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

It's going to come down to Ware and Harrison I believe. They have the gaudy numbers. I think Haynesworth will be under appreciated.

I think Ware will get it if he breaks or ties the sack record. I think right now I would still give the edge to Harrison just for how many turnovers he has created.

Ware has 1 FF that hasn't been counted and I can't figure out why. He had a strip sack on Marc Bulger and the Cowboys coaches counted it but it doesn't show up on ESPN or NFL.com stat's. Even with that, Harrison has still forced more turnovers though.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 PM    (permalink
santeria531

I pick Ware. He has a total of 19 sacks this season & has had 3 different 3-sack games.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:30 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I picked Ware before last night, that makes me special
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw Woodson's name and I jizzed in my pants.
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If its btw Ware and Harrison then its gotta be Ware easily.

Ware has inferior talent to Harrison in front of him and next to him.

Put it this way, if Ware was on the Steelers instead of Harrison, I could bet my life that he'd break the sack record already with 2 games to go.

Greg Ellis is no Lamar Woodley. Bradie James is no Lawrence Timmons. Marcus Spears is no Aaron Smith, and Jay Ratliff (while incredible) is no Casey Hampton.

Its Ware in that situation, no doubt.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:29 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Put it this way, if Ware was on the Steelers instead of Harrison, I could bet my life that he'd break the sack record already with 2 games to go.

Greg Ellis is no Lamar Woodley. Bradie James is no Lawrence Timmons. Marcus Spears is no Aaron Smith, and Jay Ratliff (while incredible) is no Casey Hampton.

i would disagree because even though ware has more sacks harrison has more forced fumbles that caused great field position multiple times and without harrison i dont have the steelers having that #1 def

demarcus ware-74tackls 19sacks 4ff

james harrison-94 tackles 15sacks 7ff and 1int

as much as i hate to put a steeler in DPOY i have to say harrison
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
i would disagree because even though ware has more sacks harrison has more forced fumbles that caused great field position multiple times and without harrison i dont have the steelers having that #1 def

demarcus ware-74tackls 19sacks 4ff

james harrison-94 tackles 15sacks 7ff and 1int

as much as i hate to put a steeler in DPOY i have to say harrison
Teams don't run at Ware. thus less tackles. Ware is as stoute as they come against the run.

You can't just look at the #s anyway. That doesn't tell the whole story.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:39 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Teams don't run at Ware. thus less tackles. Ware is as stoute as they come against the run.

You can't just look at the #s anyway. That doesn't tell the whole story.
yea i agree numbers arent anything but ive had to play against the steelers twice this year and harrison is crazy and sunday we had to double team him we play the cowboys saturday and i will judge how ware does against our double team and im not only basing what they do against my team i just get to actually see him play when he plays my team but i just think that harrison has the edge because of more big plays as in ff or big hits that end up in picks and like i said i dont think the steelers have the #1def if it wasnt for him
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
Old 12-15-2008, 02:44 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

Well Lawrence Timmons doesn't start, but I like you're thinking!;)

I see Harrison as the bigger playmaker on defense. Honestly, whenever Pittsburgh has needed a turnover, he always seems to be the guy that forces it, it's nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

No doubt Ware deserves it, but I'd take Harrison's 8 turnovers and 15 sacks over Ware's 19 sacks and 4 turnovers.

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Oh I love me some Harrison, trust me. I just think his supporting cast is better than Ware's, thats all.

I love that Steeler defense. I really do. If I could make a dream defense, its damn near close to that Steeler defense. Its so great.

And my favorite player in that defense is probably Lawrence Timmons. He's so good. He's such a great blitzer, he's damn near a rushbacker himself. I love that guy.

I really really love that defense.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ware does have less talent around him and I generally consider him to be a superior player to Harrison, but Harrison likely can lay the claim to making more big impact plays this year than Ware, and that goes a long way in my book in terms of awards. With Merriman a bit of a question mark moving forward, Ware is the best pass rusher in the NFL right now. But Harrison has been the more impactful defender this year.

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 12-15-2008 at 03:14 PM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:02 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Ware does have less talent around him and I generally consider him to be a superior player to Harrison, but Harrison likely can lay the claim to making more big impact plays this year than Ware, and that goes a long way in book in terms of awards. With Merriman a bit a question mark moving forward, Ware is the best pass rusher in the NFL right now. But Harrison has been the more impactful defender this year.
exactly Harrison has done more for his team this year. I agree that ware is the better player but this year harrison has been more "impactful" this year
John Wall
Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM    (permalink
nrk
Pro Bowler

nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nrk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh I love me some Harrison, trust me. I just think his supporting cast is better than Ware's, thats all.

I love that Steeler defense. I really do. If I could make a dream defense, its damn near close to that Steeler defense. Its so great.

And my favorite player in that defense is probably Lawrence Timmons. He's so good. He's such a great blitzer, he's damn near a rushbacker himself. I love that guy.

Yeah, Ware definitely does have a lesser supporting cast. It's just the way Harrison gets the ball turned over that puts him ahead of Ware for me. I just don't think his supporting cast are really assisting the way he jars the ball loose :)

Sig by Hitman D.
nrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:11 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:

He was an animal in last nights game, and he doesn't even start at this point. He had that wrecking ball shot on mason I believe and that huge sack/fumble that took Baltimore outta fg range. The guy is going to be a special player.

Quote:
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:16 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack27 View Post
He was an animal in last nights game, and he doesn't even start at this point. He had that wrecking ball shot on mason I believe and that huge sack/fumble that took Baltimore outta fg range. The guy is going to be a special player.
GOD i hate you for bringing that up lol ....good game though those defenses were ridiculous and hard hitting. but harrison just wont be denied double team or not hes so good and hes going to stay good being on that steelers def good game hope you lose to the titans
John Wall
Old 12-15-2008, 03:18 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
GOD i hate you for bringing that up lol ....good game though those defenses were ridiculous and hard hitting. but harrison just wont be denied double team or not hes so good and hes going to stay good being on that steelers def good game hope you lose to the titans
It was a great game lol. Imagine what a playoff game would look like...

Quote:
Old 12-15-2008, 03:26 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack27 View Post
It was a great game lol. Imagine what a playoff game would look like...
man it would make for an incredible playoff game. 3 ravens/steelers game in one season lol yea but to stay on topic I have to give it to your team and harrison is the s*** and he should be DPOY
John Wall
Old 12-15-2008, 03:29 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just an FYI, the difference in tackles is all in assists. Ware and Harrison have basically identical solo takedowns, but for some reason Harrison is getting WAAAAAAAY more assists than anyone else right now. Given the fact that its a very grey-area stat, and is almost a completely subjective call by the stat keeper, I wouldn't give it any meaningful weight in this discussion. Just fwiw.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote