Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bucs 2009 Draft Thread

Yeah, yeah, early, I know, whatever.

I'll start this off with a pretty broad question: What are our major needs, and who are some possible choices to fill them?

My take:

WR: Pretty obvious here. Bryant's about the only guy on the team who could even be seen as a #1. Galloway seems to have lost his touch, Clayton's improved a little but really won't be anything more than a #3. Stovall hasn't shown anything at all since we drafted him, except a few tackles on special teams. Dexter Jackson, enough said.

Who we need: Crabtree (if he drops, somehow), Maclin, Heyward-Bey, Harvin, basically any 1st-2nd round value player. Someone's gotta sell me on Harvin though,he seems like a DJax type to me and we all know how that turned out.

DT: Haye's solid, and Hovan's okay, but the Carolina game really exposed that we need an upgrade here. We've got Greg Peterson who could be a project, but it looks like he's getting more plays at DE.

Who we need: I don't really know any DT's in this draft. >%) We should really throw the big bucks at Haynesworth in FA, though.

Thoughts, etc

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:03 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need someone to push and replace Clayton at X receiver. We need Michael Crabtree. If we can't get him, then we should move Bryant to X and draft Harvin or Maclin. If we can't get one of those 3 WRs, I like Byrd, Massaquoi and Tate/Foster from UNC. There's also some good underclassmen possibilities like Kenny Britt. Jordan Shipley would be a good fit as well....he's a hard-working do-it-all receiver like Bryant. Galloway should retire at this point because Gruden can't find a use for him and he doesn't try when he's on the field.

Harvin is nothing like either Jackson from last year. He's a solid 190-200 lbs. of muscle at just under 6'. He has every ounce of athletic ability you can ask for to go along with great balance and playmaking ability. He's not a north-south guy like Dexter and he's not a frail elusive guy like DeSean. He can make you miss, run by you, or drive his legs through contact. Go watch any of his youtube videos from last year and you'll see what I mean, except now he's bigger, stronger and more experienced.

I explained our DT situation earlier. I think Hovan is the odd man out, and if he stays than it's Peterson because he hasn't done much.

Haynesworth would be nice, but first we have to make sure we have the money to pay our young players. We don't want to have to choose between some of our in-house guys like we have in the past (Dunn, Lynch, Sapp). Peria Jerry and SenDerrick marks are the cream of the crop at DT for us with Terrance Taylor just behind. Oklahoma has a couple good underclassmen DTs.

Tyson Jackson and Henry Melton are 2 possibilities at DE. We need another big guy who can help against the run, but there aren't many available in the draft. FA will likely provide us with an extra DE because right now we only have 3.5.

Lingering QB issues are still present, maybe more than ever. We need another RB, but which brand depends on Cadillac/Dunn situation. Jeremy Trueblood needs to be replaced, and we need depth regardless on the line. Our LB depth is weak. We need another corner.

Lots of holes to fill. Our young backups do not look ready to take the next step (aside from Talib & Piscitelli).

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by etk : 12-14-2008 at 05:06 PM.
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:18 PM    (permalink
Captain Fear
Rookie

Captain Fear hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Its hard to argue with our need at DT right now, but a capable offense would help encourage other teams to throw the ball from time to time.

The three positions I'd like to see us target are as follows...

QB - My disgust with Griese's performance today makes me really want a QB to look forward too. I have high hopes for Johnson still, but I can't put any faith in a 5th round pick until he proves otherwise. Sign Garcia for 2 more years and draft someone quality to develop in behind.

OT - Penn has been more than serviceable, but could still be upgraded. Trueblood has struggled, no need to say more. If we ever invest in a young QB, I would like to see our tackles improved upon.

WR - Probably our most glaring need. However, the emergence of Bryant has made this more luxury than outright need. Galloway's been battling injuries since the end of last season. I thought he was done many times in his career. A healthy offseason may help his revival if he decides to come back. If he doesn't, hopefully we find a replacement.

At this point, I don't favor any of these positions over the other. When our draft pick comes around, I hope we choose the player with the most value at these positions. DT can also be thrown in the mix if the right player is there.
Captain Fear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:26 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why is it that "Penn can be upgraded"? Just because he was an UDFA doesn't mean he's not good. Sears, Joseph and Trueblood all get beat more than him and they don't go against the RDEs (the best pass rushers). That sack he gave up to Abraham was just a ridiculous body-contorting diving effort. Our protection was fine besides that 1 play....Griese just refused to throw the ball on long passing situations. I think it would be pretty difficult to upgrade Penn without using a top-20 pick or $40 million+ on a FA. Drafting an OT wouldn't hurt, however, because Trueblood is garbage and we need a backup anyway. Penn needs to get more aggressive in the run game, that's all.

Galloway is probably in the doghouse. He gets on the field and doesn't even make an attempt to get the ball if it's not right in his hands. He also dropped a bunch. I think this is it for him at that age. Bryant is world's better than him and they play the same position in the offense.

I'm cool with WR, DE, DT or OT in the 1st. I'd add QB to the mix but that is unlikely considering what's available. I agree that value is the top priority for us this offseason.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-14-2008, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Captain Fear
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Why is it that "Penn can be upgraded"? Just because he was an UDFA doesn't mean he's not good. Sears, Joseph and Trueblood all get beat more than him and they don't go against the RDEs (the best pass rushers). That sack he gave up to Abraham was just a ridiculous body-contorting diving effort. Our protection was fine besides that 1 play....Griese just refused to throw the ball on long passing situations. I think it would be pretty difficult to upgrade Penn without using a top-20 pick or $40 million+ on a FA. Drafting an OT wouldn't hurt, however, because Trueblood is garbage and we need a backup anyway. Penn needs to get more aggressive in the run game, that's all.
Exactly, Penn's run blocking can certainly be upgraded. His pass blocking has been very good this season, but it is by no means top 10 in the league. If we are going to build our team as a running team, we need to have a mauler at LT. Penn does not even come close to filling that mould. Otah last season would have been perfect. If we can get someone as good as him or better, I say we take him, otherwise I wouldn't bother Penn is good enough. I'm not saying we need to draft an LT at any cost, only if the right value and fit was available. RT however, could be addressed in the 2nd+ round. If we did get a top LT in the draft, we could always move Penn, or the rookie to the right side. Don't know if he can handle power ends any better than Trueblood though. Either way, more strength at OT is needed.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want a Defensive Tackle and a Wide Receiver with our first two picks and I'm not too fussed about the order.

We need a force on the defensive line. Haye is solid, but Hovan provides nothing in the form of a pass rush and is merely solid as a run stuffer. A new face would certainly be welcomed.

Our problems at Receiver are well documented and I'm a big fan of Jeremy Maclin. I like the late 1st round receivers in the draft and wouldn't mind any of them to be honest.

After that DE and QB could be addressed. Griese sucks (I've said this 23642356345634563465 times), Garcia is almost finished and I don't think the FO has faith in McCown; Johnson is still a ? An extra DE certainly wouldn't go astray. You can never have enough pass rush.

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fear View Post
Exactly, Penn's run blocking can certainly be upgraded. His pass blocking has been very good this season, but it is by no means top 10 in the league. If we are going to build our team as a running team, we need to have a mauler at LT. Penn does not even come close to filling that mould. Otah last season would have been perfect. If we can get someone as good as him or better, I say we take him, otherwise I wouldn't bother Penn is good enough. I'm not saying we need to draft an LT at any cost, only if the right value and fit was available. RT however, could be addressed in the 2nd+ round. If we did get a top LT in the draft, we could always move Penn, or the rookie to the right side. Don't know if he can handle power ends any better than Trueblood though. Either way, more strength at OT is needed.
Rather not argue about the foolishness in upgrading a solid lineman (Penn), I'll agree that adding another quality OT would be a wise decision for other reasons.

Penn can handle power ends just fine. He was handling Peppers all game until they moved Peppers over Trueblood for premium rape. If we add another lineman, I think Penn should stay on the left because of the continuity and also because the new lineman is probably a better run blocker and we like to run behind Joseph.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 PM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garcia really dislikes Gruden and if he's given a starting gig with another team he will bolt. I don't think he'll be offered one, but resigning him isn't a sure thing. Plus at his age he might just retire.

If he leaves that completely screws everything up. I don't think their will be a good answer in the draft. Would be stuck with McCown competing against Johnson and hopefully some crappy free-agent QB like Grossman/Losman instead of Griese.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Yeah, I don't understand that. Why does Gruden love to alienate his starting QB? Some things about Gruden just confuse me....he makes decisions that appear to go beyond winning football games. His infatuation with quarterbacks and "inability to marry one" is a huge issue and he could use some therapy sessions to get over these quirks.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-16-2008, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel out of the loop this year with the draft than any other year. Damn you work and Uni!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Captain Fear
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
Garcia really dislikes Gruden and if he's given a starting gig with another team he will bolt. I don't think he'll be offered one, but resigning him isn't a sure thing. Plus at his age he might just retire.

If he leaves that completely screws everything up. I don't think their will be a good answer in the draft. Would be stuck with McCown competing against Johnson and hopefully some crappy free-agent QB like Grossman/Losman instead of Griese.
If such a scenario did unfold, and we were left without Garcia or an adequate FA signing, would it be worth mortgaging this year and next years draft to move up and draft Bradford or Stanford? As it has been mentioned, we have many wants, but few outright needs. Does that make now the right time to make a bold move like this? Galloway and Brooks' offseason decisions will also determine our draft day needs. However, I have more faith in our backup WRs and LBs than in our QBs. Its also easier to fill those positions in the draft or FA. A stud QB would help our ability to lure a big name WR if one was available in FA. The likes of Chad Johnson would never come to Tampa to have Garcia lob ducks at him once or twice a game (whether we'd want him is another question but he serves the example).

Also, I don't think its fair to judge Gruden until he has had a real QB under center for a couple seasons. The list of Tampa QBs he has had is absolutely pathetic. That said, Gruden is known for turning chicken **** into chicken salad, so maybe an elite QB is a waste in the Gruden system.

We will unlikely have the ammo to move into the top 5, but if an elite QB slips beyond I think we should consider some type of package. Personally, I enjoy following the draft too much to sacrifice a future 1st rounder, but I desperately want to see us improve at QB. That said, if a Front Office is making moves out if desperation, they're probably in trouble.

Many things will change between now and draft day, but I think moving up for the right QB is something we should strongly consider. Hopefully a Brady Quinn'esc fall takes place, but we surely can't rely on that. How much would you be willing to give?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:24 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
I feel out of the loop this year with the draft than any other year. Damn you work and Uni!!!
The draft "loop" is overrated. You end up falling for all the ups and downs the media feeds you and the hype that falls with it.

"So and so is top 3 material...so and so had a bad game and now he's undraftable".

You still have plenty of time to catch up. Watch as many bowl games as you can and then tune in for the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. Then try to see the Combine workouts (positional drills).

You do all that, and then you have multiple mental recordings of 100s of players live in action before the draft. Honestly, it's probably better not to read any player rankings or profiles before this stuff because it makes you biased. You actually have a good opportunity to form your own opinion without mainstream influence. Then you reflect and collaborate.

So yeah, no worries.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
The draft "loop" is overrated. You end up falling for all the ups and downs the media feeds you and the hype that falls with it.

"So and so is top 3 material...so and so had a bad game and now he's undraftable".

You still have plenty of time to catch up. Watch as many bowl games as you can and then tune in for the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl. Then try to see the Combine workouts (positional drills).

You do all that, and then you have multiple mental recordings of 100s of players live in action before the draft. Honestly, it's probably better not to read any player rankings or profiles before this stuff because it makes you biased. You actually have a good opportunity to form your own opinion without mainstream influence. Then you reflect and collaborate.

So yeah, no worries.
This is true. I did not think about it that way at all.

I guess we'll see which players I cover with little prior knowledge of their prospect value. Last year it was DeSean (DAMNIT), this year is anyones guess at the moment.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:13 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

If a number of teams win/lose by tonight, we could have the 16th pick. Ton of possibilities now.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend

We deserve a higher pick for having played so terribly.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If a number of teams win/lose by tonight, we could have the 16th pick. Ton of possibilities now.
who would have to lose

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who would have to lose
Didn't go so well.

Jets & Redskins lost. Jets have lower opp. %.

If Denver wins tonight we'll jump one spot because playoff teams draft lower automatically if the records are the same.

Bears and Saints also lost, but that was before my post and I already took that into account. The Bears have a lower opp. % so they beat us. Saints are 8-8.

On a positive note, Eagles and Cardinals won.

Right now we're at pick 19. If Denver wins we move down to 18. The Jets and Bears are picking below us but the %s are close so maybe we'll get lucky with the adjusted # after this week.

We're picking higher than last year....woohoo. 9-3.....18/19.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-01-2009, 08:31 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think we should go WR in the first, assuming Bryant returns. I agree that even with him coming back the receiving core is a bit shaky, with Clayton likely leaving in FA, Galloway looking like he's done, and Dexter being Dexter. That leaves us with Ike and Stovall as our only other receivers with experience. I like the depth of the class this year, and think we'd be better off waiting to pick up someone like Iglesias, Barden, Tate, etc. in the 2nd/3rd and picking up a solid vet in FA to round up the core.

The two needs I'd like to see addressed in the 1st this year are the DLine or a QB. My 1st choice would be Mark Sanchez at QB. I think if he declares we could get a steal and our franchise QB at #19. The only other QB I like early in the draft after Stafford/Bradford is Nate Davis, and I'd consider him with our 2nd if he came out. It doesn't look like Sanchez will come out, so we should turn to the Dline with our 1st.

Obviously our rush defense needs to be addressed as well as DT, so I think Gerald McCoy would make the next best pick. Peria, and Marks are also possibilities here if he's gone/doesn't declare

Without going to much more indepth, here's my realistic mock...

...if Sanchez declares

1 (#19) - Mark Sanchez, QB USC
2 (#50) - Fili Moala, DT USC (alt: Evander Hood)
3 (#81) - Brandon Tate, WR North Carolina (alt: Brian Robiskie)
4 (#117) - Derek Walker, DE Illinois (alt: Keenan Lewis, CB Oregon State)
5 (#148) - Mark Parson, CB Ohio (alt: Phillip Hunt, DE Houston)
6 (#179) - Andrew Gardner, OT Georgia Tech
6 (#186) - Marlon Lucky, RB Nebraska
7 (#210) - Corey Smith, OLB Cincinnatti

if Sanchez doesn't declare

1 (#19) - Gerald McCoy, DT Oklahoma
2 (#50) - Brandon Lafell, WR LSU (alt: Juaquin Iglesias)
3 (#81) - Sherrod Martin, CB Troy (alt: Kevin Barnes)
4 (#117) - Devin Moore, RB Wyoming (alt: Tyrell Sutton)
5 (#148) - Kaluka Maiava, LB USC
6 (#179) - Jason Watkins, OT Florida
6 (#186) - Jaison Williams, WR Oregon
7 (#210) - Jason Boltus, QB Hartwick

I could see a lot of other potential scenarios unfolding too. A WR like Maclin/Britt/Nicks with our 1st if Bryant is gone, going BPA with someone like Moreno with our 1st, a OT earlier, a RB taken in the 2nd/3rd depending on Dunn, etc. Still earlier and plenty of variables this offseason with resignings, retirements, and free agency so our situation could be completely different in a couple months.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by DJC : 01-05-2009 at 06:38 PM.
DJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC View Post
I don't think we should go WR in the first, assuming Bryant returns. I agree that even with him coming back the receiving core is a bit shaky, with Clayton likely leaving in FA, Galloway looking like he's done, and Dexter being Dexter. That leaves us with Ike and Stovall as our only other receivers with experience. I like the depth of the class this year, and think we'd be better off waiting to pick up someone like Iglesias, Barden, Tate, etc. in the 2nd/3rd and picking up a solid vet in FA to round up the core.

The two needs I'd like to see addressed in the 1st this year are the DLine or a QB. My 1st choice would be Mark Sanchez at QB. I think if he declares we could get a steal and our franchise QB at #19. The only other QB I like early in the draft after Stafford/Bradford is Nate Davis, and I'd consider him with our 2nd if he came out. It doesn't look like Sanchez will come out, so we should turn to the Dline with our 1st.

Obviously our rush defense needs to be addressed as well as DT, so I think B.J. Raji would make the next best pick. He seems to be rising up draft boards and could easily be taken before our pick. He's most known as a run stuffer, but he's got some quickness for his size too and can get to the QB. I came away impressed with him from what I saw in the bowl game the other day. McCoy, Peria, and Marks are also possibilities here if Raji is gone.

Without going to much more indepth, here's my realistic mock...

...if Sanchez declares

1 (#19) - Mark Sanchez, QB USC
2 (#50) - Fili Moala, DT USC (alt: Evander Hood)
3 (#81) - Brandon Tate, WR North Carolina (alt: Brian Robiskie)
4 (#117) - Derek Walker, DE Illinois (alt: Keenan Lewis, CB Oregon State)
5 (#148) - Mark Parson, CB Ohio (alt: Phillip Hunt, DE Houston)
6 (#179) - Andrew Gardner, OT Georgia Tech
6 (#186) - Marlon Lucky, RB Nebraska
7 (#210) - Corey Smith, OLB Cincinnatti

if Sanchez doesn't declare

1 (#19) - B.J. Raji, DT Boston College
2 (#50) - Brandon Lafell, WR LSU (alt: Juaquin Iglesias)
3 (#81) - Sherrod Martin, CB Troy (alt: Kevin Barnes)
4 (#117) - Devin Moore, RB Wyoming (alt: Tyrell Sutton)
5 (#148) - Kaluka Maiava, LB USC
6 (#179) - Jason Watkins, OT Florida
6 (#186) - Jaison Williams, WR Oregon
7 (#210) - Jason Boltus, QB Hartwick

I could see a lot of other potential scenarios unfolding too. A WR like Maclin/Britt/Nicks with our 1st if Bryant is gone, going BPA with someone like Moreno with our 1st, a OT earlier, a RB taken in the 2nd/3rd depending on Dunn, etc. Still earlier and plenty of variables this offseason with resignings, retirements, and free agency so our situation could be completely different in a couple months.
Pretty good analysis. I don't think Raji would be a smart pick in the 1st because he's basically a Ryan Sims clone. If we want a DT, we need a 3-down multi-dimensional lineman. Stopping the run is something that's done as a collective unit (especially in Tampa 2), but an impact pass rusher can make plays on his own and that's what we need. I'd rather go for Jerry or Marks, or a DE if a good one is available.

LaFell reminds me a lot of Clayton. Solid physical tools, awful hands. I'd much prefer Iglesias or someone else. WR is definitely a position to consider in the 1st though. 2 reliable pass-catchers would do wonders for our offense as opposed to 1 and a cast of mediocre bodies.

Martin/Barnes would be fine. I like Barnes better at this point.

Moore/Sutton would be fine. I prefer Moore but both fit what we need at RB. Hopefully Caddy will be healthy for next year, and I assume Dunn will retire. Who knows?

Maiava is a good player who I'd like us to develop. It's worth mentioning that picking him would give us 4 young backups, however. 5 if you include McCoy but he's never going to compete for a starting spot.

Williams is that same big possession guy that Gruden has struggled with, so I'm iffy on that one. Watkins is a good pick. Boltus is kind of a waste considering the depth we have already. I'd rather see us take a shot at an OL/DL or WR.

Looking through this draft makes me realize that we don't have enough picks to fill all our needs. FA will help but we're gonna have to trade down or be forced not to take any "luxury" picks.

I'd love to get Sanchez, but I don't see it happening. Just looking at the picks....Hood is much better than Moala. Hood is probably the most athletic pass rushing DT in the draft, whereas Moala is lanky and stiff and I doubt he makes an impact as a pass rusher or run stuffer. Tate would be a good pick. Robiskie is decent but the 2nd is a bit high. I don't know much about Walker, but I like Will Davis a lot from the same team. I like Lucky a lot as a late rounder. I don't like Hunt for us because we don't really have room for 3 edge rushers.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM    (permalink
DJC
Veteran

DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DJC is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Pretty good analysis. I don't think Raji would be a smart pick in the 1st because he's basically a Ryan Sims clone. If we want a DT, we need a 3-down multi-dimensional lineman. Stopping the run is something that's done as a collective unit (especially in Tampa 2), but an impact pass rusher can make plays on his own and that's what we need. I'd rather go for Jerry or Marks, or a DE if a good one is available.

LaFell reminds me a lot of Clayton. Solid physical tools, awful hands. I'd much prefer Iglesias or someone else. WR is definitely a position to consider in the 1st though. 2 reliable pass-catchers would do wonders for our offense as opposed to 1 and a cast of mediocre bodies.

Martin/Barnes would be fine. I like Barnes better at this point.

Moore/Sutton would be fine. I prefer Moore but both fit what we need at RB. Hopefully Caddy will be healthy for next year, and I assume Dunn will retire. Who knows?

Maiava is a good player who I'd like us to develop. It's worth mentioning that picking him would give us 4 young backups, however. 5 if you include McCoy but he's never going to compete for a starting spot.

Williams is that same big possession guy that Gruden has struggled with, so I'm iffy on that one. Watkins is a good pick. Boltus is kind of a waste considering the depth we have already. I'd rather see us take a shot at an OL/DL or WR.

Looking through this draft makes me realize that we don't have enough picks to fill all our needs. FA will help but we're gonna have to trade down or be forced not to take any "luxury" picks.

I'd love to get Sanchez, but I don't see it happening. Just looking at the picks....Hood is much better than Moala. Hood is probably the most athletic pass rushing DT in the draft, whereas Moala is lanky and stiff and I doubt he makes an impact as a pass rusher or run stuffer. Tate would be a good pick. Robiskie is decent but the 2nd is a bit high. I don't know much about Walker, but I like Will Davis a lot from the same team. I like Lucky a lot as a late rounder. I don't like Hunt for us because we don't really have room for 3 edge rushers.
I could accept Peria or Marks too with our 1st, just not sure the value is there. McCoy would be great, but not sure he's coming out and he'll probably be gone by our pick anyways. Like you said, if there's better value at DE I think we go that way. I'm hoping for Greg Hardy if we do go end. Also most likely to be off the board by our pick, but like Talib last year, some see him as a top 10 talent but could fall due to some character concerns.

Wide receiver is definitely a strong possibility, just not sold on it at this point in the 1st. Just think there's too many other holes that need to be addressed first. And like I mentioned earlier, I'm a big fan of the depth at WR in this class and feel like we can get a very solid starter later.

I'm assuming Dunn retires too. If he does, finding a replacement for him in the draft wouldn't be a bad idea. I like Caddy as much as anybody else, just can't rely too much on him at this point. Clifton could develop into an option, but he needs to get rid of his fumbling problem first. It'd be nice to get someone like Slaton in middle of the draft this year, we deserve it after the DJax/Moore picks last year.

Yeah, LB isn't really a big need for the draft, I just Maiava and think he'd be too good to pass up at that point. Most likely something we'd look at in FA though in adding some depth with a vet.

I'll admit Sanchez is more of a pipe dream than anything else, but I just thought I'd throw it out there to see what everyone else thought about him. I'm a Ziggy fan and I'd be happy to get him in the 2nd, I just saw something about Moala being a perfect fit for the Tampa-2 so thought he was worth a mention. And I agree that the 2nd is a little high for Robiskie, that's why I had him as the alternate pick for our 3rd ;) . Lucky seems like he could be a real steal for us. His value is way down because of this year, but I like what he showed last year, especially his ability as a receiver.

I'm hoping we wake up in FA and sign Suggs. We signed a big FA DE once in Simeon and that worked at pretty damn well, why not try it again? I'd like for us to make a run at Sproles too in case Dunn retires.

Sig by BoneKrusher
DJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:17 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

My bad on Robiskie. I like your DJax/Moore comment. It's only fair.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Hey guys, theres a forum mock thats being set up if anybody is interested. There are still something like 12 GM spots available if people are interested.

For people that haven't participated in a forum mock in the past they should check it out, they are tons of fun.

Sign-up deadline is tonight, so try to hurry.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...t=28445&page=3
Old 01-03-2009, 01:53 PM    (permalink
TRJ997
Rookie

TRJ997 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I believe that a franchise QB is our biggest need and will be the difference between us winning a super bowl and being one-and-done in the playoffs over the coming seasons. What do you think about trading up for Bradford should he make it to 10-12? According to the Draft Value Chart, the value of our 1st and 2nd round picks is enough to get us to around 10. I'm not 100% sold on Bradford yet, but if he truly has franchise QB potential I'd love to see us make a strong move to go after him (like Denver did with Cutler).
TRJ997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Not in favor of trading up for anyone. We have way too many needs.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-03-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Bruce Banner
All-Pro

Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.Bruce Banner could make a wolverine purr.

Trade the team for Stafford.
Bruce Banner is offline   Reply With Quote