Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who do you feel has/had the better D?
2000 Baltimore Ravens 120 88.89%
2008 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 11.11%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2008, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
why do u think i hate the Steelers? I actually really like them, i got a Hines Ward jersey at home.

i just think all those stats like averages are kinda misleading. how is the redzone statistic for those?
You're a pain in the ass (I'm kidding)

I'll see if I can dig them up.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I found this and found it to be extremely interesting

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com...l_Curtain.html

Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How much credit goes to Dick LeBeau for the defense, all of it? I know Tomlin is a defensive minded guy but his specialty isn't the 3-4 so I'm not sure if he has any hands on with what goes on.

And is LeBeau one of those guys who doesn't want a HC position? Find it hard to believe no one would want to give him that shot to implement his system elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:00 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
How much credit goes to Dick LeBeau for the defense, all of it? I know Tomlin is a defensive minded guy but his specialty isn't the 3-4 so I'm not sure if he has any hands on with what goes on.

And is LeBeau one of those guys who doesn't want a HC position? Find it hard to believe no one would want to give him that shot to implement his system elsewhere.
thats funny you said that i just watched an interview with tomlin today on PTI and he said he lets lebueau do his thing so that would be your answer to that part at least
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:02 PM    (permalink
jkpigskin
Pro Bowler

jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jkpigskin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
why do u think i hate the Steelers? I actually really like them, i got a Hines Ward jersey at home.

i just think all those stats like averages are kinda misleading. how is the redzone statistic for those?
i HATE the steelers but looking more and more at their defense... i have respect for them.
it seems like they only have a few starts on that D, but overall, the unit is one heck of a group.

not saying i would take those guys over my ravens. ;)

Go Ravens!
jkpigskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Tomlin was a huge influence in some coverage schemes, we're using a lot more cover 2 in our base 3-4 Schemes. LeBeau Normally used a scheme predicated on Cover-3.

The DeShea Townsend INT for a TD they switched post snap to a cover 3 and he sat down in the middle of the field.

So while LeBeau gets to tinker and enjoy the front 7, he hasn't really had to dial it up because we're getting amazing pressure this season from the front 5 (DL + OLBs) Which is allowing Troy to sit back in coverage more often which is a direct influence on him nabbing the highest INT totals in the league.

It's not that he's getting better, it's just that we're allowing him to play a True Secondary Rover position now because we don't need him to blitz the QB. I have seen him go for the QB off the line twice and from a delayed blitz about 8 times. He used to have to do that every game. Which, I think is keeping him healthier by not busting into the uglies.

Quote:
He was a coach for Cincy, came back I believe in 04... He is 70, I doubt many teams want to bring him in short term and I don't think he wants to leave.

I can see someone going after LB Coach Keith Butler though. Word is he's next in line and is a very impressive protege in the scheme.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:05 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkpigskin View Post
i HATE the steelers but looking more and more at their defense... i have respect for them.
it seems like they only have a few starts on that D, but overall, the unit is one heck of a group.

not saying i would take those guys over my ravens. ;)
lol i would have to agree if there def guys were on other teams they would be some of my fav players in the game but since there on the steelers i hate them lol but all respects there a great def.

and theres just no way a ravens fan would convert lol that would be just horrible
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I would take the Steelers.

Fun fact though. In 10 of 16 games in 2000, the Ravens had the quarterback with the most passing yards. They had Tony Banks and Trent Dilfer start.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:49 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
I think I would take the Steelers.

Fun fact though. In 10 of 16 games in 2000, the Ravens had the quarterback with the most passing yards. They had Tony Banks and Trent Dilfer start.
yea when your def makes offenses go 3 and out every time your offense is on the field alot lol

John Wall
Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both units were dominant. Both have carried their teams.

I really think the Steelers have been simply ridiculous. They have played against the hardest schedule in the NFL and still put out this performance. They have completely shut down some high powered offense, never giving up 300 yards in a game.

Its a different game now than it was then. Its alot easier for offenses now.

But the Ravens got a Superbowl that year. If the Steelers don't finish strong and compete for a title, this obviously has to go to the Ravens.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Both units were dominant. Both have carried their teams.

I really think the Steelers have been simply ridiculous. They have played against the hardest schedule in the NFL and still put out this performance. They have completely shut down some high powered offense, never giving up 300 yards in a game.

Its a different game now than it was then. Its alot easier for offenses now.

But the Ravens got a Superbowl that year. If the Steelers don't finish strong and compete for a title, this obviously has to go to the Ravens.
simply ridiculous is what the ravens were , the ravens didnt have an easy schedule, and back to my stats they shut out 4 teams and held 11 teams to 10 or less points in the 16 game season and they dominated the playoffs and just didnt give the giants a breathe on the offensive side there only score came off SPECIAL TEAMS i dont want to hear that the steelers have such a hard schedule blah blah blah at the end of the day you get your schedule and you play it and until the dominate the rest of this year the ravens have that ste up

edit: not taking anything away from the steelers im very impressed and think there not far behind

John Wall
Old 12-18-2008, 10:55 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
simply ridiculous is what the ravens were , the ravens didnt have an easy schedule, and back to my stats they shut out 4 teams and held 11 teams to 10 or less points in the 16 game season and they dominated the playoffs and just didnt give the giants a breathe on the offensive side there only score came off SPECIAL TEAMS i dont want to hear that the steelers have such a hard schedule blah blah blah at the end of the day you get your schedule and you play it and until the dominate the rest of this year the ravens have that ste up

edit: not taking anything away from the steelers im very impressed and think there not far behind
I am sorry dude, but your posts give me headaches. No periods or commas anywhere. I am no English buff like Sniper and TP, but this **** is driving me crazy.

But anyways, I love how our defense is playing. We have to defend like 40 yards pretty much all the time, and still hold them to 3 or no points. We have had a very struggling offensive line and a terrible punting game. I am torn on the defenses though. I would take them both, but I am not sure which one I would chose the most.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I am sorry dude, but your posts give me headaches. No periods or commas anywhere. I am no English buff like Sniper and TP, but this **** is driving me crazy.

But anyways, I love how our defense is playing. We have to defend like 40 yards pretty much all the time, and still hold them to 3 or no points. We have had a very struggling offensive line and a terrible punting game. I am torn on the defenses though. I would take them both, but I am not sure which one I would chose the most.
Seriously, if Sniper saw that, the world may end.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post

lol I know I know i just like to type fast so i skip all those (,.) lol

but yea thats one thing the steelers have impressed me with is an offense can start in field goal range and they will end up having to punt it. thats just having the #1 def with the IMO #1 pass rusher and they are nice against the run.

John Wall
Old 12-18-2008, 11:00 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBond93 View Post
Seriously, if Sniper saw that, the world may end.
The more you guys nag at me for it the more i will try to fix it.

John Wall
Old 12-18-2008, 11:04 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

haha Sniper will get on you if he ever reads a paragraph like that.

But really, the one thing I don't like for the Steelers case if that they have yet to shut anyone out.

Could be cause teams usually end up starting in fg range cause of our ****** offense.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:05 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
haha Sniper will get on you if he ever reads a paragraph like that.

But really, the one thing I don't like for the Steelers case if that they have yet to shut anyone out.

Could be cause teams usually end up starting in fg range cause of our ****** offense.
yea and i know ive said it twice already but we shut out 4 teams

John Wall
Old 12-18-2008, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Got nothing on the 76 Steelers though

Old 12-18-2008, 11:24 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Got nothing on the 76 Steelers though
I OBJECT YOUR HONOR that is irrelevant because we were not a franchise

John Wall
Old 12-19-2008, 01:21 AM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2000 Ravens not even close.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
lol I know I know i just like to type fast so i skip all those (,.) lol

but yea thats one thing the steelers have impressed me with is an offense can start in field goal range and they will end up having to punt it. thats just having the #1 def with the IMO #1 pass rusher and they are nice against the run.
The offense rarely starts in field goal range because our punter can only kick it 15 yards.

We often start within our own 20 and opposing teams at their 35-45.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:51 AM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted for the Ravens. As previously stated - it almost has to take a superbowl victory to even be considered. But yes, so far it is looking like a good conversation for the future.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 10:10 AM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
The offense rarely starts in field goal range because our punter can only kick it 15 yards.

We often start within our own 20 and opposing teams at their 35-45.
i was saying that its impressive how a team could start in field goal range and the steelers will end up making them punt

John Wall
Old 12-19-2008, 10:20 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
the ravens def dominated in the playoffs

against the broncos we won 21-3
againsst the titans 24-10
against the raiders 16-3

THEN BEAT DOWN THE GIANTS 34-7 IN THE SUPERBOWL

if they dominate the playoffs like that then they are with us
I agree, if the steelers don't perform in the playoffs the season means nothing.

Only if the steelers win the title does this mean a thing.

Without a title its the Ravens hands down

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's the better point.

James Harrison. 15 sacks. 8 forced fumbles.

w.t.f.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote