Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 12-22-2008, 07:55 AM    (permalink
garethjwelsh
Rookie

garethjwelsh hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Does Super Mario change our draft plans?

Hi guys,

I have been hearing some good things about Mario Henderson the past couple of weeks. Has anyone seen his play the last couple of weeks. I have heard he is an upgrade over Harris, but that isn't really saying much.

My question is do you think he has shown enough for us to give him a chance at the LT spot next year? Or can we take a Tackle in the later rounds as more of a development guy, give Henderson the job next season and see how it pans out? There is no denying we have a lot of needs right now, from CB to DT to WR.

What do people think?
garethjwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethjwelsh View Post
Hi guys,

I have been hearing some good things about Mario Henderson the past couple of weeks. Has anyone seen his play the last couple of weeks. I have heard he is an upgrade over Harris, but that isn't really saying much.

My question is do you think he has shown enough for us to give him a chance at the LT spot next year? Or can we take a Tackle in the later rounds as more of a development guy, give Henderson the job next season and see how it pans out? There is no denying we have a lot of needs right now, from CB to DT to WR.

What do people think?
Henderson has shown he can block big linemen but we have yet to see how he fairs against speed rushers. I guess it is wait an see until next week against Gaines Adams. We still need another tackle to take Green place as well.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:54 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would move Henderson to RT next year and draft a LT in the 1st.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has played pretty good at LT. But in the long run he probably wont be the answer there. But as a RT, he could be pretty good. If we can get a guy like Smith,Monroe or Oher in the 1st round, we could be set at the OT positions for a long time

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default Yep...

I agree. I have no idea why the coaching staff was playing Kwame Harris over Henderson all season. When Mario came in for a couple games at the beginning of the year he was an obvious upgrade over Harris, it wasn't even close. Having said that, I don't know if I trust him with my QB's blindside for the next 5 years. Irregardless we another OT and OG, so there is no reason for us to shy away from drafting an OT in the top 10 this year.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:19 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Depends on if Cable is with us next year and how Mario finishes off the season.If Cable is here next year I doubt we go OT.Cable doesn't like to draft Oline early and Marios a better fit for the ZBS than a power scheme.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Young Legend
Veteran

Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.Young Legend is a cocksman.

Henderson as A RT would fail his best thing he brings to the table is his ability to pass block which makes him a better fit at Lt.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:04 AM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

NotoRussell hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Mario looked good as LT and with him JaMarcus. the last two games Mario started as LT, JaMarcus has thrown over 200 yards and 2 tds in every game, because he didnt run for his life on every snap.
Mario held his own against leagues primer bull pass rusher, Mario Williams and Richard Seymour, thats pretty impressive for a guy who had strength problems as he came to the league.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

His main issues coming out were his laziness, immaturity, and overall lack of dedication. A couple good games shouldn't cause anyone to overlook the reasons most draftniks had him slotted as a 7th rounder or worse.

Unless he's on an Al Davis scholarship, I don't see him starting many games past this season.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:13 PM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

our OL is such a mess, imo he will be starter next season, because Al will go for Crabtree.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:12 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Unless he's on an Al Davis scholarship, I don't see him starting many games past this season.
Lol how could you say this? Mario has played very good and I can see him being a nice RT.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 12-27-2008, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We'll see. What scheme Oakland moves to will matter quite a bit. Remember, in 2006, under Shell and Slater's scheme, Kevin Boothe was the best lineman on the field more often than not.

If Henderson is finally working hard enough, then great. He's always had great potential. Do I trust him as the left tackle moving forward? Not really.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:04 AM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Lol how could you say this? Mario has played very good and I can see him being a nice RT.
and if we draft a LT with our 1st pick or sign Gross(imo the better option) the OL would look great.
maybe get 2 WRs through the draft, like Britt or Hicks in the 2nd round, our offs and with it JR will take the next step to be a great team.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Here's why this idea worries me. Oakland has been running to the right side almost entirely during Henderson's starts even though Robert Gallery is the best drive blocker on the team. He's shown he can pass protect decently, but why put him at right tackle if he can't run block? I do think that Henderson is best off as a backup tackle, because he's neither the quality I want for either tackle.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:14 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Here's why this idea worries me. Oakland has been running to the right side almost entirely during Henderson's starts even though Robert Gallery is the best drive blocker on the team. He's shown he can pass protect decently, but why put him at right tackle if he can't run block? I do think that Henderson is best off as a backup tackle, because he's neither the quality I want for either tackle.
IDK its beginning to look like getting a pass rusher is our biggest need. If Orakpo is available i think he should be drafted. I'm just really confused right now. We also have to see what happens with the Aso situation.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.

Last edited by bernbabybern820 : 12-28-2008 at 07:54 PM.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its kind of hard to judge with only 5 starts I believe but he has played well during these last 3 games. If Tom Cable returns I wouldn't be surprised if Henderson is the starting LT going into training camp. I still think this team needs O-Line, its just simply not good enough.
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoRussell View Post
and if we draft a LT with our 1st pick or sign Gross(imo the better option) the OL would look great.
maybe get 2 WRs through the draft, like Britt or Hicks in the 2nd round, our offs and with it JR will take the next step to be a great team.
Draft 2 WRs? Which one is going to play defense for us?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:25 AM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

the idea of drafting the two wrs is if we get rid of Walker and Curry, in order to save money for Gross.
the other draft picks should be invested on the defs.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 AM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
IDK its beginning to look like getting a pass rusher is our biggest need. If Orakpo is available i think he should be drafted. I'm just really confused right now. We also have to see what happens with the Aso situation.
im, too. our team has so many needs, that we cant fill it through the draft
Old 12-30-2008, 12:08 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotoRussell View Post
the idea of drafting the two wrs is if we get rid of Walker and Curry, in order to save money for Gross.
the other draft picks should be invested on the defs.
So we basically make no effort to improve right away via the draft. That just doesn't work for me. Our first pick has to be a lineman of some sort.

I could see taking a WR in Rd2, but we'd be foolish to spend such a high pick on that position.

Personally, I'd rather bring in a veteran receiver (not a scrub like Javon Walker) and shoot for my WR outside of Rd1.

I'd keep an eye on guys like Bryant Johnson, Amani Toomer, or even Michael Clayton, Devery Henderson, and Koren Robinson. I don't mention TJ Houshmandzadeh simply because he's not going to leave a bad team to come to a worse team.

Drew Carter looked good before getting hurt. I'd like to bring him back.

Higgy Bear and Schilens showed a little something down the stretch, so we'll have some guys with some upside on the roster. We just need to get a veteran in here, preferably a possession type guy like Toomer, to give the Big Dummy a security blanket other than Miller.

I'm hoping Hakeem Nicks has a bad combine. Maybe we can steal him in Rd2 if he runs a 4.6 or fumbles the Wonderlic or something.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:48 PM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

i agree with you that we should draft a lineman in the 1st round and to get Nicks or Britt in the 2nd would be my dream scenario.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Dark Knight01
Rookie

Dark Knight01 Dark Knight01 Dark Knight01 Dark Knight01

Now that Mays isn't there to tempt old stubborn man Al, it looks as though our pick will come down to Crabtree, Oher, or Orakpo or E Brown, maaaaaybe Maualuga.

I hope the old man doesn't pick Harvin or Maclin with that #7 pick.

There will be plenty of WR's in this draft with the same skill set as Harvin and Maclin.

I would rather see them draft Nicks or Kenny Britt later, then invest an early pick on a WR who will not be starting or contributing heavily right away. The Raiders need a player who will contribute and hopefully start right away with the #7 pick.
Dark Knight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Id say Monroe,Oher J.Smith,Crabtree,Maclin, Raji, Orakpo, Brown and Curry are the most likely picks right now.

I agree Id like for us to get a WR in round 2 like Nicks, Britt or LaFell.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 01-18-2009, 04:15 AM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

Britt would be a dream come true, but he will be 1st round pick after the combines, imo.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:40 AM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Ok I think you need to address your WR spot in the 1st and then draft OL OL OL the rest of the day and revamp the entire OL then pay Kirk Frentz anything he wants to come and coach your OL for the next 2 years. He would bring discipline and dedication to a unit that has NONE ! The Raiders have too much tradition to be wallowing in the toilet as long as they have. I want to see the Black and Silver back on top !!!!!!!!!

Who is running the Def now that Ryan has gone to Cleveland ?
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote