Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 01-19-2009, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nobody right now.

We have a good line coach doubling as a head coach...we think. Coaching isn't the OL's problem. It's the lack of good players that's killing us. Gallery is adequate. Grove is an injury prone puss. Carlisle is a FA. Cornell Green is bad. Kwame Harris is horrendous. Mario Henderson is still largely an unknown quantity. Chris Morris is a decent reserve. Paul McQuistan, if he can stay healthy, could solidify the RG or even RT position...or he may be a career backup. TBD.

Basically, we have a LG and 4 question marks. Scary.

Still, there's not a WR in this class I'd burn the #7 overall pick on. I just can't see it.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:23 AM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

NotoRussell hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

the only WR is Crabs who is worth the 7th pick!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Dark Knight01
Rookie

Dark Knight01 Dark Knight01 Dark Knight01 Dark Knight01

After seeing Senior Bowl practices I keep coming back to drafting Maualuga with the 7th pick if Crabtree is not there and if there is no trade down. This freakin team needs TOUGHNESS and even if Rey doesn’t make the play, it will allow the other defenders to make the play. He will have no weight issues...he will be a Polamalu type of player. Hmmm….lets see…

Round 1- MLB- Rey Maualuga (need a nasty MLB who will lay the wood and help this team get tougher)

Round 2- DT- Evander “Ziggy” Hood (another strong, fast and tough player who is aggressive and can also see spot duty as a 4-3 DE)

Round 3- RG/RT- Trevor Canfield (another player with a mean streak who is tough and physical and will only get stronger, best fit for a ZBS team as a RG or RT.)

Round 4- WR- Demetrius Byrd- Solid build and has upside. At LSU he was a deep threat, from what people say he just needs to work on his concentration and route running.

DE Robert Ayers might be there in round 4 and also Center Jonathan Luigs might be there in round 4 as well.

I also would like to see the team draft FB Quinn Johnson from LSU in the later rounds. He is stud of a blocking FB and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Need a blocking FB to replace O'Neal who will not be ready to go next year. Griffith is not a pure blocking FB.
Dark Knight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:55 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight01 View Post
After seeing Senior Bowl practices I keep coming back to drafting Maualuga with the 7th pick if Crabtree is not there and if there is no trade down. This freakin team needs TOUGHNESS and even if Rey doesn’t make the play, it will allow the other defenders to make the play. He will have no weight issues...he will be a Polamalu type of player. Hmmm….lets see…

Round 1- MLB- Rey Maualuga (need a nasty MLB who will lay the wood and help this team get tougher)

Round 2- DT- Evander “Ziggy” Hood (another strong, fast and tough player who is aggressive and can also see spot duty as a 4-3 DE)

Round 3- RG/RT- Trevor Canfield (another player with a mean streak who is tough and physical and will only get stronger, best fit for a ZBS team as a RG or RT.)

Round 4- WR- Demetrius Byrd- Solid build and has upside. At LSU he was a deep threat, from what people say he just needs to work on his concentration and route running.

DE Robert Ayers might be there in round 4 and also Center Jonathan Luigs might be there in round 4 as well.

I also would like to see the team draft FB Quinn Johnson from LSU in the later rounds. He is stud of a blocking FB and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Need a blocking FB to replace O'Neal who will not be ready to go next year. Griffith is not a pure blocking FB.
Let me guess. You're from Cali and a USC fan?

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbabybern820 View Post
Let me guess. You're from Cali and a USC fan?
No other way to explain it. Rey Rey has some work to do to get himself back into the top half of the draft.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Kurve
Veteran

Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Kurve hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think OT is first priority the talent level usually from draft to draft is that there tends to be a significant drop off in talent in the OL prospects after first round early second. I think youll see some of the WRs will drop off to the second round as they did last year. I think someone like Bey or Harvin in the early second might be possible.
Kurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ya one of the Wr's is going to fall into the second or late 1st. I think its either Nicks, Britt or DHB. Any of those 3 will help this team alot

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't touch Harvin before Rd3, personally. We already have one fast guy with no true NFL position (McFadden). Adding another doesn't help us much. Nevermind the durability concerns.

Granted, this will change dramatically after the combine, but the value where we pick appears to be one the offensive line. I don't like Maclin or Crabtree as top 10 picks, and Al doesn't trade down in Rd1...ever. So, if Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe is there for us, I think we pretty much have to pounce on him unless Raji has secured himself as a top 10 pick. Then, I figure we have 3 really good options.

Rd2 is wide open. Is Nicks there? What about Alex Mack? Could there be a decent D-lineman there? Doubtful on all 3 counts, but it's worth looking out for.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
RBolyar2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I wouldn't touch Harvin before Rd3, personally. We already have one fast guy with no true NFL position (McFadden). Adding another doesn't help us much. Nevermind the durability concerns.

Granted, this will change dramatically after the combine, but the value where we pick appears to be one the offensive line. I don't like Maclin or Crabtree as top 10 picks, and Al doesn't trade down in Rd1...ever. So, if Jason Smith or Eugene Monroe is there for us, I think we pretty much have to pounce on him unless Raji has secured himself as a top 10 pick. Then, I figure we have 3 really good options.

Rd2 is wide open. Is Nicks there? What about Alex Mack? Could there be a decent D-lineman there? Doubtful on all 3 counts, but it's worth looking out for.
So McFadden got hurt....... why exactly doesn't he have a position? There's not reason if the Raiders fail to trade Fargas that they can't go with a three back committee next season with McFadden clearly being the most explosive.

Also, Crabtree is probably the second best wide receiver prospect I've seen coming out of college the last ten seasons behind Calvin Johnson. Obviously Crabtree won't run that good at the combine, but his hands are automatic and would fit nicely opposite Higgins.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:07 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We best get one of the top tackles in the first, this is a damn good crop of OL, and we need some toughness in the trenches more than anything. I am confident that one of the talented receivers will fall, and I also think there will be some BIG overlooked WR's available later in the draft (Ramses Barden, Jaison Williams, Pat Turner) that we can put opposite Higgins.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:10 AM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolyar2 View Post
So McFadden got hurt....... why exactly doesn't he have a position?
He means that he's pretty much a situational player in the NFL, a Reggie Bush type. I'm pretty sure all Raider fans have come to accept the fact that he will never be an every down, between the tackles runner.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:13 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti View Post
He means that he's pretty much a situational player in the NFL, a Reggie Bush type. I'm pretty sure all Raider fans have come to accept the fact that he will never be an every down, between the tackles runner.
What he said.

Quote:
Also, Crabtree is probably the second best wide receiver prospect I've seen coming out of college the last ten seasons behind Calvin Johnson. Obviously Crabtree won't run that good at the combine, but his hands are automatic and would fit nicely opposite Higgins.
Did you really just rate Crabtree ahead of Fitzgerald? Seriously?

Wow.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by locseti View Post
We best get one of the top tackles in the first, this is a damn good crop of OL, and we need some toughness in the trenches more than anything. I am confident that one of the talented receivers will fall, and I also think there will be some BIG overlooked WR's available later in the draft (Ramses Barden, Jaison Williams, Pat Turner) that we can put opposite Higgins.
I'm not ready to hand Higgins a starting job just yet. I'd prefer it if we could keep him in the slot and off the field for most run downs. I am a fan of the guy, though. I don't think he's peaked quite yet.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM    (permalink
BigTron
Rookie

BigTron hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Yes. He is better at LT than Shilens and JLH are at the #1/#2 spot at WR. That makes WR a bigger need IMO. Henderson played very well in passing situations last year against some decent DE's. He may not be the answer but he is a better stop gap than Shilens at #1 WR!!! JaMarcus's WR's dropped SO many passes. His comp% would be way better with a reciever with good hands. His TD to INT ratio was nice for the situation IMO.
BigTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
RBolyar2

Quote:
What he said.

Did you really just rate Crabtree ahead of Fitzgerald? Seriously?

Wow.
Will Crabtree be better than Fitzgerald? No, he doesn't have the size/speed combination, but Crabtree DOES look like a better receiver coming out of school.

And he looks better than Randy Moss coming out of school. And Torry Holt. And Andre Johnson. And Keyshawn Johnson. And anyone else I can think of off the top my head, but again, that doesn't mean his career will be better than any of them. I think he has incredible hands. Good strength, and route running, but we'll have to see if he can gain seperation at the pro level, and if he can maintain concentration when he isn't getting 20 passes thrown him per game.

Last edited by RBolyar2 : 01-27-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Heart of Oak
Rookie

Heart of Oak hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I appreciate that Al doesn't trade down, but that is actually the best scenario for us.

Given Mario's encouraging performances at LT, we need to 'sell' the #7 pick for a 1st and 2nd (preferably mid round). That way we can draft the #5 OT Eben Britton (he is a good fit for ZBS, has played RT, and is better value for money than any of the supposed top-4); Alex Mack (best interior lineman IMO, possibly the best lineman, but I reckon he will drop to the top of the 2nd as not many Centers go round 1); With the second 2nd rounder, we take the best WR available - hopefully Britt, maybe Nicks or DHB (there will be one of them available).

I wouldn't mind us trading up the 2nd round picks to high 2nd to get Britton / Mack / Britt.

So in essence, we should still take OT, but pick a little lower, given we are looking for a RT.
Heart of Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Will Crabtree be better than Fitzgerald? No, he doesn't have the size/speed combination, but Crabtree DOES look like a better receiver coming out of school.

And he looks better than Randy Moss coming out of school. And Torry Holt. And Andre Johnson. And Keyshawn Johnson. And anyone else I can think of off the top my head, but again, that doesn't mean his career will be better than any of them. I think he has incredible hands. Good strength, and route running, but we'll have to see if he can gain seperation at the pro level, and if he can maintain concentration when he isn't getting 20 passes thrown him per game.
Pretty safe bet that no one on earth, outside of a few TTU homers, share this assessment of Crabtree as a prospect. I can't decide whether I should be laughing or rubbing my eyes and re-reading this.

No offense intended.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:27 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTron View Post
Yes. He is better at LT than Shilens and JLH are at the #1/#2 spot at WR. That makes WR a bigger need IMO. Henderson played very well in passing situations last year against some decent DE's. He may not be the answer but he is a better stop gap than Shilens at #1 WR!!! JaMarcus's WR's dropped SO many passes. His comp% would be way better with a reciever with good hands. His TD to INT ratio was nice for the situation IMO.
If his WRs weren't having to contort and chase his errant throws, they probably wouldn't have dropped so many passes.

I don't really care about his completion % or TD/INT ratio. Watching him play, watching him throw almost uncatchable passes outside...there wasn't much our WRs could do for him. Of course we need better WRs. But the fact remains that Russell has to get a lot better before upgrading at WR will really help enough to matter.

But, that's neither here nor there. It doesn't matter which is the bigger need. What matters is getting the best players with our picks. With that said, I'd rate a top flight LT over any of the WRs in this class. Crabtree isn't on the Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson level. Maclin isn't either. To me, that makes them poor value picks in the top 10.

Nevermind the fact that a rookie WR isn't likely to make much of an impact as a rookie, and probably won't be ready to start as a sophomore. Whereas, someone like Monroe or Jason Smith could start right away and immediately improve the entire offense.

It really does all start up front. The only way we can reasonably expect to prevent Russell and McFadden from being complete busts is to build up the offensive line into something respectable. WR, while an obvious need, is a secondary position and a secondary concern. One that could be addressed after Rd1 and in free agency. Get the big dummy a couple decent veteran WRs and a rookie in Rd2 and he'll hopefully be salvageable.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Dark Knight01
Rookie

My Revised preferred Raider Mock....

RD 1- OT Eugene Monroe (this guy will be a solid RT or LT in the ZBS under Cables tutelage. This team needs to get tougher, stronger and nastier. It starts with this guy and picking him makes the O-Line stronger)

RD 2- DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood or Fili Moala (tougher, stronger, and nastier continues)

RD 3- MLB Jasper Brinkley (a 6'3 265-270 pound BEAST of a MLB who will help against the run and continue the tougher, stonger and nastier theme of this draft.....we can move Morrison back to OLB)

RD 4- WR Patrick Turner (chances are this big and strong WR will be gone in Round 3, but if he is there when we pick in round 4, they should snatch him. Hasn't played his best football yet and may not have elite speed, but is a good route runner.)

In the later Rounds 6 or 7, the pick should be a blocking TE or blocking FB Quinn Johnson from LSU...since Oren O'Neal will not be ready to play next year. Johnson can also catch passes out of the backfield.

Remember this draft needs to be about drafting players who are TOUGHER, STRONGER, AND NASTIER than the previous drafts where the focus was mainly on athletes who ran 4.3 or 4.4 40 times.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Morrison at SAM would be pretty funny. He'd be on the wrong end of a SportsCenter highlight every week.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Dark Knight01
Rookie

Quote:
Morrison at SAM would be pretty funny. He'd be on the wrong end of a SportsCenter highlight every week.

If Morrison can't play SAM, then Brinkley can play the SAM spot.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight01 View Post
If Morrison can't play SAM, then Brinkley can play the SAM spot.
Not sure either would really flourish at SAM, but Morrison would definitely be the better option if that situation were to come up. Captain Kirk is fine, not great where he is playing right now. I also don't feel we need to look at LB until maybe later in the draft.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:21 AM    (permalink
UK_Raider
Rookie

UK_Raider hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hey everyone. Just joined the message boards after spending the past couple of years reading along over here in the UK.

I think Mario playing ok over the past couple of games does change our draft plans - IF Cable gets hired as HC.

If that's the case, I'm wondering if we should draft DT B.J. Raji?? Fom what Scott's said about him at the Senior Bowl, he could sit in there with Tommy Kelly and allow the LBs to get to the ball carrier.

We could then get another lineman (either RT or a C like Alex Mack) later on in the first day. What do you think??
UK_Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
NotoRussell
Rookie

NotoRussell hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

welcome to the forum!
I like the Raji pick, but not at 7, so if we want to pick him we should trade down, IMO.
with our 1st we should go for one of the 4 top OTs and draft with our 2nd a wr, so we get the protection and the good target for JR with the first two picks.
the next picks should we bring some good defense players.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Donno
Veteran

Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would have no problem with the Raiders taking Raji at the 7th pick. LT is a way bigger need but Raji would really help that DL out big time.