Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would imagine Benson will get a nice four-year deal or so from Cincinnati where he has been not only a good player but a model citizen and teammate. Is he finally living up to the hype? No, not yet. However, he has resurrected his career for the time being and I'm looking forward to seeing him back in stripes next year.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You have to be there first to be back. Yes though he is looking good.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:56 PM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer MarioPalmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
He's done well with a patchwork offensive line and I am confident enough in him to re-sign him for the right price. We'd need to get a RB to complement him with some speed/quickness but he can probably be about the same type of player Rudi Johnson was for us. He seems to be reinvigorated now that he is out of Chicago.
I agree, also having a real legit, elite QB playing in front of him like Carson Palmer that would also help a ton. Cincy should resign him to a large incentive deal. If he performs to his talent level he would be at least an A-Train or like someone earlier said a Thomas Jones. Remember, T.Jones was a massive massive bust when being drafted by the Cards as a top 10 back back in 2000 out of Virginia. He was all but useless to the horrid Cards, yet he lasted long enough through two terrible stints with the Cards and the Bucs then finding a home in Chicago then being named to the Pro-Bowl as the leading AFC rusher with the Jets. So its not impossible.

One thing that I liked alot from Benson was the Dallas game. It was the last game that Palmer played in and you could see what Benson brought to the table and he was picked up off the street that week. I could just imagine what he would bring if he had a full offseason with them and with Carson. It gave the Bengals a legit running game that reminded me alot of the Rudi days. You could actually see the field open up for Palmer and open up for Benson when the Cowboys thought that the Bengals would be passing. Also, I think that Carson would be a huge positive influence on Cedric as well. I think with the way that Carson leads and the way that he doesn't put up with the crap that Ocho Cinco and others do it would rub off on Benson. There wasn't a single player on the Bears offense that even compares to Carson's talent or leadership level and that would be a very big help to Benson if he were to have someone like that having his back and pushing him to succeed.

I can definitly see this working and I for one am rooting for him. I mean why not? A guy left for dead, granted he was a massive asshole, now has a chance to make a legit impact player out of himself with another squad because that team took a chance. I think as long as Benson isn't the focal point of the offense and never has to be "THE" guy on the Bengals like he was asked to be on the Bears he could have a successful remergence as a feature back in the NFL. Especially if the Bengals can select Michael Oher and Alex Mack with their 2 first picks. If the Bengals can get back to the high flying offense they had in 2005 then Benson can ride the coat tails of that and hit it big. I can see him hitting the 1000 yard mark and in todays NFL reaching that milestone isn't what it used to be, but for him it would be a giant step in the right direction.
MarioPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:43 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When we played the Steelers earlier this year he broke someone's arm and knocked Polamalu out of the game for a few plays all in one run. Just to show how hard he has been running this season.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:48 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing I had against Benson is that he was incredibly lazy and arrogant. Many players don't make it, but he thought because he was drafted 4th that he deserved everything and that it would automatically translate into being a Pro Bowler. I thought it was incredibly dumb to trade Thomas Jones.

Furthermore, Matt Forte has already showed more maturity, promise, and a infinitely better work ethic in one year than Benson has ever shown. Add in the fact he represents himself with class and doesn't piss off his entire team, I'm glad Benson failed and we wound up with Forte.

That said, I hope Benson can recover to have a solid career.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:51 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had what 2 good games so now he's back?

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 AM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioPalmer View Post
I agree, also having a real legit, elite QB playing in front of him like Carson Palmer that would also help a ton. Cincy should resign him to a large incentive deal. If he performs to his talent level he would be at least an A-Train or like someone earlier said a Thomas Jones. Remember, T.Jones was a massive massive bust when being drafted by the Cards as a top 10 back back in 2000 out of Virginia. He was all but useless to the horrid Cards, yet he lasted long enough through two terrible stints with the Cards and the Bucs then finding a home in Chicago then being named to the Pro-Bowl as the leading AFC rusher with the Jets. So its not impossible.

One thing that I liked alot from Benson was the Dallas game. It was the last game that Palmer played in and you could see what Benson brought to the table and he was picked up off the street that week. I could just imagine what he would bring if he had a full offseason with them and with Carson. It gave the Bengals a legit running game that reminded me alot of the Rudi days. You could actually see the field open up for Palmer and open up for Benson when the Cowboys thought that the Bengals would be passing. Also, I think that Carson would be a huge positive influence on Cedric as well. I think with the way that Carson leads and the way that he doesn't put up with the crap that Ocho Cinco and others do it would rub off on Benson. There wasn't a single player on the Bears offense that even compares to Carson's talent or leadership level and that would be a very big help to Benson if he were to have someone like that having his back and pushing him to succeed.

I can definitly see this working and I for one am rooting for him. I mean why not? A guy left for dead, granted he was a massive asshole, now has a chance to make a legit impact player out of himself with another squad because that team took a chance. I think as long as Benson isn't the focal point of the offense and never has to be "THE" guy on the Bengals like he was asked to be on the Bears he could have a successful remergence as a feature back in the NFL. Especially if the Bengals can select Michael Oher and Alex Mack with their 2 first picks. If the Bengals can get back to the high flying offense they had in 2005 then Benson can ride the coat tails of that and hit it big. I can see him hitting the 1000 yard mark and in todays NFL reaching that milestone isn't what it used to be, but for him it would be a giant step in the right direction.
He hasn't been elite since the injury.
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 AM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic74 View Post
He hasn't been elite since the injury.
The ACL? His first year back from that he had 28 TD's 13 INT's, 4,000 yards twice since. The awful start to the beginning of this year was because he took five steps and got hit.

Anyway, Benson has been a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect much of anything out of him, once our Oline got somewhat squared away he started being productive. Regardless of the RB we have our running game at this point revolves around what the Oline can do.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:38 AM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He has had 3 good games... Who did he play?

Jaguars, Chiefs, Browns.

Enough said.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

He tore up KC and Cleveland. Not exactly studly defenses. He is not back. he's only starting because Chris Perry is terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:04 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Actually Benson is a pretty bright guy, he just made some bad life choices and has a really ****** attitude. I bet he would test pretty well.
the same guy that said he wouldve ran for 1800 yards behind the bears oline this year after 13 games? or at least 1500? he never hit me as someone smart really. bright people dont make those bad decisions

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang View Post
the same guy that said he wouldve ran for 1800 yards behind the bears oline this year after 13 games? or at least 1500? he never hit me as someone smart really. bright people dont make those bad decisions
How are those bad decisions? Having unjustified confidence in yourself is not an indication of lack of intelligence, it's just narcissistic arrogance.

Almost all athletes think they are better than they are. I have college athletes telling me how they (Minnesota) are going to make the Rose Bowl. Dan Orlavsky just said that he thinks he is a high level quarterback. It's indemic to the arrogance that usually comes with being involved in sports.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Aftermath
Veteran

Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.Aftermath could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Has Cedric Benson ever been smart? Think about what you say. lol
He sounds very intelligent in locker room interviews.

How can you people still say hes terrible before even seeing the O-Line play. Hes been the spark for this offense, and the best player on Offense minus TJ.

Sig by yours truly.

Last edited by Aftermath : 12-30-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly...i think he is back. When i saw him play this year he looks totally different. He has a burst, he hits the hole hard with no hesitation, he welcomes contact, he's a completely different player from the Chicago Benson.

I was actually shocked to see such a dramatic turnaround. I think he revives his career if he can keep his head on straight.

And my analysis of him has nothing to do with the defenses or #s he put up. its about how different he looks playing the position.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 AM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post

Jaguars, Chiefs, Browns.

Enough said.
This.

Gimme a break, Benson is not back.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 AM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

In the Dallas game Benson showed how much promise he has when playin to his full potential, he looked very very good against them and was the reason why the Bengals were in that game...well that and because Palmer was hot and looked like the All-Pro that he is, while also playing with a really badly injured elbow.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
How are those bad decisions? Having unjustified confidence in yourself is not an indication of lack of intelligence, it's just narcissistic arrogance.

Almost all athletes think they are better than they are. I have college athletes telling me how they (Minnesota) are going to make the Rose Bowl. Dan Orlavsky just said that he thinks he is a high level quarterback. It's indemic to the arrogance that usually comes with being involved in sports.
i meant more the offseason problem decisions

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:21 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post

Jaguars, Chiefs, Browns.

Enough said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
This.

Gimme a break, Benson is not back.
Ok, I've given the guy his fair of **** but three good games while playing for the Bengals this year is pretty damn good. Consider he joined the team in like week 5 and in 7 of those games, he averaged atleast 3.5 yards a rush with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. I'm not saying this guy resurrected his career but he's on the right track. Excuse his 3 god awful outings this year and you have an ok back.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Ok, I've given the guy his fair of **** but three good games while playing for the Bengals this year is pretty damn good. Consider he joined the team in like week 5 and in 7 of those games, he averaged atleast 3.5 yards a rush with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. I'm not saying this guy resurrected his career but he's on the right track. Excuse his 3 god awful outings this year and you have an ok back.
Everyone needs to consider where he has been and compare it to where he is now. Yes very impressive and I hope it works out for him.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 02:52 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This year Cedric Benson had his 3rd worst yards per carry and it was only .1 away from being his worst season as far as that stat goes, and in his previous years his farthest run was 22, this year he had a 79 yard run that helped with that 3.5 average.

Just saying.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll tell you all a true story, and I'll let you all decide what to make of it. If it didn't happen to me directly, I wouldn't be telling it.

As some of you have noticed, I list my location as Austin, TX. As some of you may also remember, Cedric Benson played at the University of Texas, in Austin. Rewind back to earlier this season while Cedric Benson is currently an unemployed former first round pick. I was bartending one evening at a somewhat upscale restaurant, and Benson and (what I assume to be) an adviser. A 40 something white woman with some documents. At this point in time Cedric had lost his job after 2 alcohol related run-ins with police. So they sit down and sure enough a few seconds later, Cedric orders Ketel One on the rocks. He ends up having a 2nd round bought for him from a bar patron.

Not an insanely scandalous story, but it bothered me for a few reasons. One of the signs of alcoholism (or addiction in general) is that after your demon has ruined your life, you still go back to it. Cedric Benson lost a lot because of alcohol. And to see him drinking again like it was nothing made me mad as a fan. I saw someone who clearly took their abilities for granted, and had no clue. Two drinks isn't alot, or even enough to get a buzz on. But the fact that he was still so casual with alcohol despite all that alcohol had done to cost him millions of dollars shocked me.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:54 PM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

Coming from a severely addicted drug addict that doesn't exactly mean he was in grips of an addiction just because of drug related incidents. Just because you smoke pot doesn't mean you’re a drug addict, or just because you've snorted a line of coke or 2 doesn't mean you’re a cocaine addict. It just means that the danger of becoming an addict are there, but in a lot of people they are able to put down a drug just as fast as they picked it up. I wasn't that lucky, for me it was an 8 year struggle and it still is a bit of one today albeit more controlled and less aggressive. In Benson, we don't know exactly if he an addict, we just know that he makes ill advised decisions and he makes them that involves drinking and driving. Just because a person gets a DUI or DWI doesn't mean they are in the grips of substance abuse, it just means that they were drinking and driving.

Some people have a sense of power or "nobody can touch me" syndrome. And I think that was more of what Benson was. He is a very emotional person. The crying when being drafted and the run ins with his team mates in Chicago. And his emotional status affected his game play. I think he tries to do what’s cool or what’s popular, he tries to be a balla or a hustler and tries to maintain that lifestyle while simultaneously trying to be a professional. That doesn't work in the NFL; the one wants nothing to do with the other. I think that’s what Benson's demons were. He was trying to be this hard gangsta that’s pushing a Benz while wearing multimillion dollar jewelry and it caught up to him, it catches up to every one.

But with that said, I don't think that it means he is an addict. I just think it means that he is immature and ill equipped to handle the pressure of being a million dollar man with an entire franchise and city on your shoulders. Remember, he isn’t the only Longhorn to have had this problem. Vince Young, Mike Williams (OT Bills #4 Overall), Ricky Williams, Michael Huff, just to name a few. So I think it has something to do with him not being ready for mass media criticism. When he was in college he was guarded and protected from being bashed and lambasted, but now once he gets to the NFL, all bets are off and everything is fair game. Something I don’t think he was able to handle once the problems started to occur.

I always believe in second chances, if I hadn’t had one I wouldn’t be where I am today, so who am I to judge a man I don’t know nor ever harmed or judged me? So I root for him, if he can make it work after being labeled a bust and cry baby, then good for him and more power to him. That to me is an inspiration in it of it’s self.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't think that even in the wake of losing the opportunity to make millions of dollars directly as a result of alcohol Benson isn't an addict despite still drinking? Doesn't it make sense to just take the approach to avoid it altogether, since it's a financially ruinous habit?

You're right that smoking pot and doing cocaine doesn't make you addicted. However, if you had lost your job to drugs, don't you think it makes sense to stop immediately at that point? Don't you think that a failure to recognize that does make you addicted?
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
You don't think that even in the wake of losing the opportunity to make millions of dollars directly as a result of alcohol Benson isn't an addict despite still drinking? Doesn't it make sense to just take the approach to avoid it altogether, since it's a financially ruinous habit?

You're right that smoking pot and doing cocaine doesn't make you addicted. However, if you had lost your job to drugs, don't you think it makes sense to stop immediately at that point? Don't you think that a failure to recognize that does make you addicted?
I would agree to a certain extent, but loosing your job as a direct result to driking isn't going to make that person give up driking all together. It's not like he is going to have this revelation all of sudden and say "Bud and Corona's cost me my job I better stay away from that." It doesn't work that way. As far as he was concerned he was driking then made a dumb decision to get behind a wheel. Thats like saying that a guy who got a DWI and lost his car is all of a sudden not going to go tailgating with his friends because of his last run in with beer. It doesn't work that way, it's called being a responsible adult. I used my drugs, the drugs didn't use me, it's my decision to either keep taking them or don't. Once they get me, its a whole different story, but they don't have him that way, at least thats not what I see. His problem is knowing when to say "NO! I'm not going to drive. NO! I'm not going to go out before a big game or practice." Thats called being responsible for one self. To some how blame his problem on booze is ridiculous. Brett Favre was a monster while on opiates and played and kept focus like never before. He was responsible with his choices when making them. I don't remember hearing Favre getting pulled over while nodding out at a stop light while barely being able to walk and doing the "dope fien lean".

Benson made poor choices and driking just happen to be a factor in his problems, his problems are in him, not in the bottom of a glass or can of beer.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:54 PM    (permalink
MarioPalmer
Veteran

I want to make this clear, I am not defending his drug use, and yes booze is a drug, but I'm merely giving my opinion on the matter and what I perceive to be the main problem with him.

I think it goes for the same with Pac Man, Charles Rogers, etc. Guys who just can't handle it. Their use eventually becomes a legit problem because they begin to abuse it. Just because you lose your job as a result of driking doesn't mean that its a problem in that sense.If he was driking while playing, if he was coming in to the facility tore up and acting a fool then I would make the jump to him being physically and mentally adicted to a substance. He was arrested for DUI's and that decision to drink and drive cost him his job, thus his decision making cost him his job, not the booze itself.

I would say Maurice Clarett was a drug addict, because he had to drink at odd times of the day, he had to have " get his Goose on" so to speak in order for him to feel right and comfortable. Until it reaches that level, which I don';t think it has, then we shouldn't automatically call him an addict. His decision making must improve and so far as a Cincy Bengal, of all places, he has.