Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
It's a coplete disgrace. Just do away with the award - or, better yet, do away with the mindless asshats that cast the votes.

This year should have seen the tightest race in MVP balloting we've seen in years. I have seen decent arguments for at least 5 players between this thread & the MVP thread and many members in agreement that several players are deserving, yet we end up with this abortion of a land slide win by Manning???

Total
Farce.

Seriously, the next highest vote getter is 4??? Horrible. Disgraceful.
Thank you. It's not so much that Peyton won, it's the margin of victory.

Just shows you the whole groupthink of the media. And it really comes out of nowhere. This buzz started about 3-4 weeks ago. It's like the media all jumps on the bandwagon at the same time too.

First it was like nobody emerged, they even considered Haynesworth. Then it was Brees, then it was Warner, then unanimously Manning.

Michael Turner was NEVER in the conversation. It was all about his QB.

I really don't take the media serious, but the problem is they have influence in awards like these
BBIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Roethlisberger had more fumbles in one game than Peyton did all year (1). Just sayin'.
Yep, and more gamewinning drives.

Again, just trying to get a firm understanding of what you need to be MVP.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
My ballot consisted of:

Peyton
Bernard Pollard
Brady
Turner
Peterson.

very close between the 5 IMO
Pollard should be 1-5, then Peyton, AP, Turner, Pennington, then Tom Brady to round out the top 10.
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
If thats all that matters then other people should really be considered.

I'm just pointing out that "9 game winning streak" Was really 3 good teams and 6 teams that they should've blown out.

and if bringing your team back to win, I think the award goes to Roethlisberger, he has the most GW Drives this season.

Now, lets come up with a reason why those aren't weighted as heavily.
were not trying to take one thing and make that the reason hes mvp were giving you multiple reasons for why you are just taking what we say and look for someone who has done better in that area.
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If thats all that matters then other people should really be considered.

I'm just pointing out that "9 game winning streak" Was really 3 good teams and 6 teams that they should've blown out.

and if bringing your team back to win, I think the award goes to Roethlisberger, he has the most GW Drives this season.

Now, lets come up with a reason why those aren't weighted as heavily.
He was 17 for 17 at the beginning of the game.

He finished 29-for-34 and threw for 364 yards and three touchdowns.

He was responsible for the fourth quarter comeback.

Admit it. You did not watch the game, and have no idea what the **** you are talking about. So stop talking unless you want to look like a bigger idiot than you already are.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Nope. I don't think Roethlisberger deserves anything but the "Can't read a defense award" this season.

Just pointing out that "Bringing your team back to win a game" shouldn't be the only reason someone wins the award.

Manning was a good player for 9 games or so this season.

There were guys who meant just as much or more for their team in 13-16 games.

Just saying I think Manning was gifted this year.
i believe carrying the team on his back for the end of the season is why he deserved the award.

and coming back to win award? Roflcoptor sure didn't earn that against the Giants (zing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBIB View Post
Thank you. It's not so much that Peyton won, it's the margin of victory.

Just shows you the whole groupthink of the media. And it really comes out of nowhere. This buzz started about 3-4 weeks ago. It's like the media all jumps on the bandwagon at the same time too.

First it was like nobody emerged, they even considered Haynesworth. Then it was Brees, then it was Warner, then unanimously Manning.

Michael Turner was NEVER in the conversation. It was all about his QB.

I really don't take the media serious, but the problem is they have influence in awards like these

This was my point, I just headed in a different direction.

Manning shouldn't have won the award... but even if he did, it shouldn't have been the ungodly margin that basically made it look like he outdid Tom Brady's play last year.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:53 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.BBIB hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
He was 17 for 17 at the beginning of the game.

He finished 29-for-34 and threw for 364 yards and three touchdowns.

He was responsible for the fourth quarter comeback.

Admit it. You did not watch the game, and have no idea what the **** you are talking about. So stop talking unless you want to look like a bigger idiot than you already are.
It was impressive but it was one game vs a team that will be picking in the top 5.

Are we really going to excuse the first half of the season for him?

Are we really going to spin 7 weeks of not playing MVP football, into a positive because of a streak of playing at that level?

It's a complete joke
Old 01-02-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was impressive but it was one game vs a team that will be picking in the top 5.

Are we really going to spin 7 weeks of not playing MVP football, into a positive because of a streak of playing at that level?

It's a complete joke
Not talking about that, genius. I'm responding to Mr. Stiller's ignorance about the second Jaguars game. Please understand the context of the conversation before butting in.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

It's a complete joke
mhm, because 7/8 is really top 5. see this is why you are eternally forever wrong and nobody cares about your argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My ballot consisted of:

Peyton
Bernard Pollard
Brady
Turner
Peterson.

very close between the 5 IMO
Honestly, if the Pats only won 3 or 4 games, the media morons trusted to select the recipient of this award may very well have given it to Pollard.

(I lol'd when I saw him on the list though ;))

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This was my point, I just headed in a different direction.

Manning shouldn't have won the award... but even if he did, it shouldn't have been the ungodly margin that basically made it look like he outdid Tom Brady's play last year.
look dude you say hes been good for 9 games or so when they won 12 games because of there qb play. the just won 9 in a row. they didnt go 9-7 they went 12-4 so 4 games he couldnt make up what his def gave up and that makes him not mvp worthy why? because rivers team went 8-8?? or the falcons went 11-5?? screw that when the falcons needed to run they run when they need to pass they pass when the defense needs to make a stop they can depend on that. now the colts when its 3 and short can they run it ??? nope they have to pass. when there def is on the field and they need a big stop how likely do they get it???? barely ever so manning has to be ready to score a td every drive because his def will give up the points he dont get so that makes it his team his mvp and well deserved
We as Ravens fans are clearly scum of the earth, and should just be happy that these great people, who cheer for nothing than the finest, morally impeccable players, playing on the finest, most morally impeccable teams, will grace us with their presence, and words of wisdom.

John Wall
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yep, and more gamewinning drives.

Again, just trying to get a firm understanding of what you need to be MVP.
Maybe Roethlisberger wouldn't have had so many GW drives if he didn't play so poorly for the majority of games?

And how many victories did Roethlisberger lead to the team to when they were down by 7+?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
i believe carrying the team on his back for the end of the season is why he deserved the award.

and coming back to win award? Roflcoptor sure didn't earn that against the Giants (zing)
Yeah, He did have 4 bad games... But Manning got to write the first 7 off (Zing)

Carrying the team on his back? Dude he played probably 6 of the worst teams in the league in the final 8 games of the season.

How is barely beating the worst teams in the league an accomplishment, moreso than Petersons carrying of the Vikes, Turner's turnaround of the Falcons?

Rivers single-handedly carried his team this entire season. His WR's aren't nearly as talented as Manning's, His defense is just as inept this season, and he threw for what.. 7 More TD's, 1 less INT, 1.2 Yards more average, and 7 more yards?

Why was he not even remotely close in the voting?

Why did Manning run away with this award. He wasn't as unanimously great this season as the voting shows.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:59 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:

It's a complete joke
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP SAYING HE DIDNT DO NOTHING THE FIRST 7 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!! DOES ANYONE REALIZE THEY WON 3 OF THOSE GAMES???????/ SO HE LOST 4 GAMES THIS SEASON ??? AND RIVERS LOST 8??? AND TURNER LOST 5??? SO DO WE EXCUSE TURNER AND RIVERS FOR THERE LOSES???? COME ON GUYS HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE

John Wall
Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Maybe Roethlisberger wouldn't have had so many GW drives if he didn't play so poorly for the majority of games?

And how many victories did Roethlisberger lead to the team to when they were down by 7+?
Ah, so now it's not how many GW drives, it's were they the reason they were behind?

So you agree Manning deserved it even uncontestedly?

And good lord Forget Roethlisberger, he isn't going to sniff the reward until he learns to read a defense and throw to his WR's as they run their routes instead of waiting for 6-10 seconds to play backyard football.

Manning was so amazingly better than every contestant this year in terms of voting you'd think he broke a ton of records.

It should've been closer and there's guys that were just as deserving if not more.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:00 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

Quote:
mhm, because 7/8 is really top 5. see this is why you are eternally forever wrong and nobody cares about your argument.
Oh whoopty do, they won one more game than the teams picking in the top 5.

That changes the argument completely.

That completely excuses the below MVP level play for nearly the 1st half of the season
Old 01-02-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
bantx
I have a Custom Title
All-NFLDC

bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bantx is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

congrats manning, but him winning by a huge margin?

bantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rivers single-handedly carried his team this entire season. His WR's aren't nearly as talented as Manning's, His defense is just as inept this season, and he threw for what.. 7 More TD's, 1 less INT, 1.2 Yards more average, and 7 more yards?

Why was he not even remotely close in the voting?
Because Rivers had better stats playing a cupcake schedule, and didn't beat one single playoff team all year. How on Earth can someone be the MVP on the league if he didn't help his team defeat one playoff team? Rivers lead the team to 8 wins all year, and both of those games against the Chiefs literally went down to the wire. Where's the valuable in MVP there?

Don't get me wrong, Rivers was terribly jobbed for the Pro Bowl. Completely jobbed .... but I don't get the argument for him for MVP. Warner and Brees are much more deserving than he is imo.
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ah, so now it's not how many GW drives, it's were they the reason they were behind?

So you agree Manning deserved it even uncontestedly?

And good lord Forget Roethlisberger, he isn't going to sniff the reward until he learns to read a defense and throw to his WR's as they run their routes instead of waiting for 6-10 seconds to play backyard football.

Manning was so amazingly better than every contestant this year in terms of voting you'd think he broke a ton of records.

It should've been closer and there's guys that were just as deserving if not more.
why should of it been closer ??? im sure people were saying rivers and turner and brees played really well this year BUT!!! manning has been lights out and even when his def puts him in horrible positions he still finds a way to win the game. but wait rivers dont have the talent at WR but thats mannings fault and it doesnt matter if rivers dont find a way to win the game as long as the broncos go on a downfall to let us slide into the playoffs come on this is getting dumb

John Wall
BBIB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE STOP SAYING HE DIDNT DO NOTHING THE FIRST 7 GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!! DOES ANYONE REALIZE THEY WON 3 OF THOSE GAMES???????/ SO HE LOST 4 GAMES THIS SEASON ??? AND RIVERS LOST 8??? AND TURNER LOST 5??? SO DO WE EXCUSE TURNER AND RIVERS FOR THERE LOSES???? COME ON GUYS HOW STUPID CAN YOU BE
It's not about wins and losses. It's about level of play. In 5 of his first 7 games, Peyton didn't play at an MVP level

That is way too terrible a start to justify winning MVP in a landslide victory
Old 01-02-2009, 03:05 PM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It's not about wins and losses. It's about level of play. In 5 of his first 7 games, Peyton didn't play at an MVP level

i dont see why you guys think there shouldnt be a landslide like i said before im sure people considered picking rivers or whoever you think should of won but they realized who really deserved it and he got it lol

John Wall
Old 01-02-2009, 03:06 PM    (permalink
illmatic74
Veteran

illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74 illmatic74

Quote:

What about Turner's first game against TB, his first game against CAR, his game against CHI, against PHI or against NO
"The system can never stop what's been set into motion,like volcanic eruptions on the floor of the ocean,my purpose is to burst through the surface emerse in the smoldering lava from verses surrounded by, Murder mami's (not bitches that's worthless) i cut chicken heads off (like hexes and curses),weapons i purchase make homeland security nervous, i run pockets & purses like subway searches under Masonic temples disguised as churches"- Immortal Technique
illmatic74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Warner would've won it if his team didn't tank the rest of the season. Brees could've won if he defense wasn't **** all season.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
BBIB
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic74 View Post
What about Turner's first game against TB, his first game against CAR, his game against CHI, against PHI or against NO
Of course, Michael Turner started the season playing 4 out of 7 games not at an MVP level. Just like Peyton did 5 out of 7

Philip Rivers has had his inconsistent moments as well.

Turner and Manning both finished with as many games that were not at an MVP level. Rivers had fewer sub par games than them both.

That's why the race should have been close. When you give a guy like Peyton Manning MVP by such a margin, you're basically saying he was as heads and shoulders above every else in the league with some of the most legendary MVP seasons of all-time. That is a complete lie.

He was not 2007 Brady. Hell Manning was more deserving of winning in this landslide margin the year he was Co-MVP over this season