Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 01-05-2009, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.
Default Where do they go from here?

Well, I think this season can be classified as a surprise. There were not many that envisioned an 11-5 season. But, I think yesterday showed that there is still a lot of work to do. They may take a step back next yr as the schedule gets harder, so the key is to keep adding the pieces to make the run in 2010.. That being said, here is my opinion on what they need to do:

1. Keep Parcells. People may argue and say that he has put a lot of good pieces in place here. That is true, but there is a reason the guy is always successful. Keep him here and have him groom Ireland and Sparano even more..
2. Continue to try and add draft picks. Yesterday showed that they need a lot more talent. If there is a guy who may not be part of the 2010 team, try and get value for him (Ginn, R. Brown, Satele, Porter, Carey) I don't think this would be easy, but picks are gold and we need more of them.
3. Bigger, bigger, bigger. In the front 7 on defense. Need to be able to control the line of scrimmage and knock people around. NEED the young stud 3-4 OLB. I think Porter showed his legs at the end of the yr and I can't see how he comes close to replicating what he did this yr.
4. Impact players at WR and DB. I think they need a legit impact WR. Houshmanzadeh would be a PERFECT fit to the complementary bunch that they have now. OJ Atogwe would be a really nice fit at S, and they definitely draft at least one DB in the first 3 rds.
5. Keep drafting OL. Need to get at least 2 or 3 more guys here that can be starters. Do not be shocked to see one taken really early, especially considering how low they are drafting.

Thats if for now. What do you think?
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
Catch_23
Rookie

Catch_23 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like a lot of what you said here, keeping Bill is a must along with adding draft picks. But i'm not sure if getting rid of guys like Ronnie and Ginn are the answers i still feel like both can be good players for us. Ginn is still developing as a WR and if we can bring in a true #1 then i think he'll turn into a pretty good #2 for us. And for Ronnie i think we just need to put in a better line in front of him, in the Ravens game we were just getting so much pressure it was hard for him to do anything. I also agree with you that we might be taking a little bit of a step back next year but that was almost to be expected.

One thing though that i do think we need to do is find the answer at QB, Pennington played well for us this year, but in the Ravens game he really showed what he lacks. His arm strength looked pretty bad, and at some point we need to find the QB that can take us to the Super Bowl. So what i'm looking foward to finding out is if Henne has what it takes and i hope he gets some sort of a chance with us here soon.
Catch_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch_23 View Post
I like a lot of what you said here, keeping Bill is a must along with adding draft picks. But i'm not sure if getting rid of guys like Ronnie and Ginn are the answers i still feel like both can be good players for us. Ginn is still developing as a WR and if we can bring in a true #1 then i think he'll turn into a pretty good #2 for us. And for Ronnie i think we just need to put in a better line in front of him, in the Ravens game we were just getting so much pressure it was hard for him to do anything. I also agree with you that we might be taking a little bit of a step back next year but that was almost to be expected.

One thing though that i do think we need to do is find the answer at QB, Pennington played well for us this year, but in the Ravens game he really showed what he lacks. His arm strength looked pretty bad, and at some point we need to find the QB that can take us to the Super Bowl. So what i'm looking foward to finding out is if Henne has what it takes and i hope he gets some sort of a chance with us here soon.
Catch,
I don't necessarily think that they should trade them, I just would not be surprised if they did. This regime did not bring in either guy and I think that they may be able to get something for them this offseason if they have replacements in mind. Ginn, especially, to me does not seem like their type of player. I do agree that he could be a pretty good "deep threat" guy that catches 40-50 passes a yr at high YPC, but I can't see any way he becomes a #1 guy.

Agree about QB. The problem is that Pennington was so good this yr, how do you justify sitting him? The only way is if he is injured or if they struggle some next yr. If they had the 4-6 win yr like many had projected, Henne would probably be the starter going into 2009.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Grig
Rookie

Grig hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

While the 11-5 season was nice, it was definitely built on the soft schedule with the AFC and NFC West. It's obvious we still need significant pieces before we are a true contender. We have the AFC/NFC South next year as well as the AFC division winners. We could very well go anywhere from 6-10 to 9-7 and actually be an improved team.

-I agree with the size and talent in the front 7. We need to find Ferguson's replacement/backup at NT and we definitely need more linebackers. We all agree that a 3-4 pass rusher is a priority, but I really wouldn't mind a bruising middle linebacker either. Crowder's status is up in the air, and Ayodele is merely an average player.

-Secondary help of any kind. Really, there's no position in the secondary that we couldn't use help at. Bell is a free agent (I believe) and our best player, but even if he's resigned, he's still about to be 31. Allen is a #2 stretched as a #1, and while Goodman was okay this year, he's a journeyman. Who knows how Lehan will play coming off the injury. I realize that Parcells/Ireland are going to want to focus on the front 7, but they need to bring somebody in, whether it's via draft or FA.

-Some may disagree, but I think our offensive line could still use some players. Carey is probably going to be gone in Free Agency as he looked kind of tentative at times this year. I really think they're going to want to bring in a big run mauler somewhere along the right side of the line. Thomas was looking good, but he's all potential at this point. Satele is probably entrenched for another year, so it'll probably be at RG or RT. They need to be able to confidently run the ball and will continue to gear the line towards it.

-And the obvious one, WR. I do think Ginn will continue to turn into a good player, but it's obvious that we need a big target and simply depth in general. Camarillo, Ginn, Bess, London is our current depth chart (Wilford will be cut) and that's sorely missing a go-to guy.

We really need depth all around, and while the defense played pretty good this year, I really see the vast amount of our draft resources going towards the defensive side of the ball.
Grig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Grig,

I think you are correct in a lot of your points. You are 100% right on the OL. Long is a stud and Smiley played well when he was there, but everyone else was very ordinary. Now, you actually have to worry about Smiley too with his injuries. Satele regressed a bit this yr and the right side was also ordinary. I think they will definitely look here early in FA and in the draft. Keep an eye on Jason Brown from the Ravens this weekend. I think he fits the big mauler type at C that this regime should value.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 AM    (permalink
Catch_23
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Catch,
I don't necessarily think that they should trade them, I just would not be surprised if they did. This regime did not bring in either guy and I think that they may be able to get something for them this offseason if they have replacements in mind. Ginn, especially, to me does not seem like their type of player. I do agree that he could be a pretty good "deep threat" guy that catches 40-50 passes a yr at high YPC, but I can't see any way he becomes a #1 guy.

Agree about QB. The problem is that Pennington was so good this yr, how do you justify sitting him? The only way is if he is injured or if they struggle some next yr. If they had the 4-6 win yr like many had projected, Henne would probably be the starter going into 2009.
I see your point on Ginn and Brown but only if they have ideas for replacements and right now i don't think that we have one for either position. But it still might not be a bad idea if we can get good value for them becasue we still do have a lot of needs else where.

I don't think we can sit Pennington this year but we need to see how good Henne is how ever we can. I'm sure he'll be getting a lot of time next preseason but we need to see if he can be "the guy" for us and take us to a super bowl because i don't think Pennington can be that guy.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
noromasionadom

You need to go steal Miles Austin from the Cowboys. I am sure Jones will give him away for a fourth. Kid has got jets and seemed to be coming into his own this year except for nagging little injuries and the stupid Jones trade for Roy Williams which he is now stuck with. He is as good as anything you will get in the draft.

Use the picks for OL and D -- need to get more talent for the 3-4.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
JoeyJr09
Veteran

JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JoeyJr09 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I'll put on my GM hat.

Here are my moves if I'm Ireland.

1.) Tag Carey and trade him the highest possible pick. For the sake of realism, I'll say a 4th.
2.) I love Crowder but he's gonna be allowed to walk. I'd let Renaldo Hill walk as well.
3.) Trade Beck for a 7th rounder.
4.) Cut Ernest Wilfork, Nate Jones, Quentin Moses and other roster filler.
5.) Sign RT Jordan Gross, S Jerrad Page, WR Cedrick Wilson, LB James Farrior.

Draft:
1.) Everette Brown, OLB, FSU
2a.) "Mount" Cody, NT, Bama
2b.) Hakeem Nicks, WR UNC
3.) Joe Burnett, CB, UCF
4a.) Andrew Gardner, OL, GaTech
4b.) Kevin Ellison, S, USC
5.) Mike Teel, QB, Rutgers
7a.) Brandon Hughes, CB, Oregon State
7b.) Mike Dent, OL, WVU
7c.) Darius Hill, TE, Ball State
7d.) Mike Tepper, OL Cal

Roster:

QB: Pennington, Henne, Teel
RB: Brown, Williams, Cobbs
FB: Polite
TE: Fasano, Martin, Hill
WR1: Wilson, Hicks, London
WR2: Ginn, Bess, Camarillo
LT: Long, Gardner
LG: Smiley, Alleman
C: Satele, Dent
RG: Thomas, Nwduke
RT: Gross, Tepper

DE: Holliday, Merling, Wright
NT: Ferguson, Cody, Soliai
DE: Langford, Starks, Dotson
OLB: Porter, Anderson, Walden
ILB: Ayodele, Torbor
ILB: Farrior
OLB: Brown, Roth
CB: Allen, Allen, Hughes
CB: Goodman, Burnett
S: Page, Ellison
S: Bell, Culver

K: Carpenter
P: Fields
JoeyJr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Catch_23
Rookie

This is a pretty good offseason, and i like most of the moves like the signing of Farrior and Gross. Both would be great additions to our team and the draft looks great but i personally see Everette Brown going a little bit before our pick but if he is there we should definatly take him and I like the Cody pick to be our 34 NT of the future and i also like Nicks out of UNC. Over all i like the offseason and would love for this to actually happen.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

If they can only get a #4 for Carey, I doubt they will franchise him. The risk of him accepting the tender offer for OT's, which is big $$ would be too much of a risk for a #4. I would love if they could sign Gross, but he is big $$ and I don't think they want to commit that much to both him and Jake Long. I could see them going after the big C Brown from Baltimore and trading Satele for a draft pick. I tend to think they may look for their RT early in the draft, especially with their low pick.

As for Farrior, no thanks. He is an 11 yr veteran. The team needs to get younger. To be honest, if they don't keep Crowder, I think they need to replace both ILB's with better talent.

If your draft scenario worked for the first 3 picks, I would sign today. I think by draft day that Brown will be gone by #25. As of now, Cody has not declared for the draft and I think he said he was staying. Nicks would be a great pick in round #2, but he could also be a guy that moves up to a #1 with good 40 times.

I think there will be another defensive focus to this draft. Hopefully, they find a way to add some more picks to improve the depth. Still a long way to go for the team, but at least they are on the right track.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:45 PM    (permalink
yboord028
Rookie

yboord028 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can't see Carey getting franchised honestly, I don't think its worth it if we can't get good compensation I don't think its worth the money if we do keep him. And Gross I believe will be getting the franchise tag himself, so can't see him coming here although I love what he could do here. And although a very little point, I don't think Nate Jones gets cut, He is valuable on CB blitzes which was only realized at the end of the season and he can be utilized on ST. And Moses is already expiring so it doesn't really matter.

As for the draft I don't think Brown will be there, hes far too good to slip to #25. I do like the Nicks pick as stated before, hes the perfect WR we need. And I think instead of getting a TE we need a more run blocking focused FB, Polite isn't a very good lead blocker and theres sure to be a good Run blocking FB in the 7th round.