Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Washington Redskins Team Forum

Washington Redskins Team Forum Discuss the Skins

Old 01-13-2009, 03:25 AM    (permalink
Red_BearSkins
Rookie

Red_BearSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Our LOLB problem

What do you guys suggest we do about this position in the offseason?

Marcus Washington has wound down, he can't blitz or break a block anymore, he can't guard a TE either. HB Blades is even smaller than London Fletcher, which makes him guarding TE's a joke when they have 5-9 inches on him.

If we make some trades and get a 2nd rounder (probably would have to be a low one), I'd love to get Clint Stintim since he'd probably slip. But there'd also be a quality DT there as well. And a DT is something we need more than a LOLB right now.

The position definitely needs to be addressed with something. Just not sure what.
Red_BearSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:10 AM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really see an immediate solution right now. If you trade down than maybe pick one up...don't know of any FA's that are realistic. We'll just have to go with what we got for now.

I wouldn't mind giving Fincher a shot at it...he looked good in preseason...still a young guy with some potential (25 yrs old)...former 3rd round pick.

Thanks to Vinny we're missing some picks so it makes it harder. With our 13th pick, I'd rather fill more important holes...like a franchise OT.

Last edited by 2 Live Crew : 01-13-2009 at 10:15 AM.
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Live Crew View Post
I don't really see an immediate solution right now. If you trade down than maybe pick one up...don't know of any FA's that are realistic. We'll just have to go with what we got for now.

I wouldn't mind giving Fincher a shot at it...he looked good in preseason...still a young guy with some potential (25 yrs old)...former 3rd round pick.

Thanks to Vinny we're missing some picks so it makes it harder. With our 13th pick, I'd rather fill more important holes...like a franchise OT.
Hah Fincher no way he might have some decent special teams potential and maybe a backup at MLB but no. HB would be serviceable this year although he's naturally a MLB and should replace London there when he retires. I think it's a much bigger need than we are thinking especially given Rocky's injury history and London's age although thankfully (knock on wood) he hasn't been injured in his career. It is in my top 5 needs for this team but it can be addressed in free agency with a veteran or with our 3rd round pick or later and can let them wait for a while behind HB.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

or

Old 01-13-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll take any.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM    (permalink
2 Live Crew
Rookie

2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.2 Live Crew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Hah Fincher no way he might have some decent special teams potential and maybe a backup at MLB but no. HB would be serviceable this year although he's naturally a MLB and should replace London there when he retires. I think it's a much bigger need than we are thinking especially given Rocky's injury history and London's age although thankfully (knock on wood) he hasn't been injured in his career. It is in my top 5 needs for this team but it can be addressed in free agency with a veteran or with our 3rd round pick or later and can let them wait for a while behind HB.
I just mean let Fincher and HB battle it out in preseason...no harm in that...its not like Blades set the world on fire this year. Haven't really seen enough of Fincher to know what he's capable of...but he did play with a lot of emotion last preseason...more than you can say for some guys on this team.

I'll take one of the decent vets in FA over them but Blades starting there wouldn't be the end of the world.
2 Live Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I would add Leroy Hill to the above list. I personally think Dansby will be too expensive. Crowell or Hill would be my top 2 choices.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:16 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_draft_fan View Post
I would add Leroy Hill to the above list. I personally think Dansby will be too expensive. Crowell or Hill would be my top 2 choices.
Hill is gonna cost a pretty penny as well

2011 FA: FS - OJ Atogwe
2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia
toddmlazarchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Red_BearSkins
Rookie

Red_BearSkins hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddmlazarchick View Post
Hill is gonna cost a pretty penny as well
For sure.

And I'm not really content with Blades starting, cause he's a liability in pass coverage due to his tiny height.

But hopefully if we can get a pocket collapsing DT to replace Griffin, then we don't need to worry as much about Blades height in pass coverage. It's one or the other, if the DT spot isn't upgraded, then we need the LOLB spot to be. The DE's had a bad year, yes, but in Blache's scheme, a good DT would make the DE's better.

Fletcher won't be able to play at this level forever. McIntosh is a little injury prone. If we can get a young stud at LOLB that hits his prime as Fletcher starts to decline, we won't see a dropoff in the LB unit. I'd rather get a solid starter for a low contract in FA, and then try and draft a stud LOLB the next year, then overpay for a FA.
Red_BearSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:13 AM    (permalink
TaylorMade
Rookie

TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TaylorMade is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For some reason I really think Angelo Crowell will be a Skin on the first day of FA.

Redskins: 4 time offseason Champions, '00, '04, '06, '09
TaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:28 AM    (permalink
CantStopGregJones
Rookie

CantStopGregJones hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Kevin Burnett would be a great option for you guys. He's out of place in the 34 and is best suited for 43 OLB where he can blitz from the outside rather than insdide. You would also weaken a divisional foe.
CantStopGregJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 AM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick toddmlazarchick

If we sign a OT we can start at RT for us then Id be all for drafting Maualuga at #13

2011 Draft Picks: Ryan Kerrigan-OLB-Purdue, Jarvis Jenkins-DE-Clemson, Leonard Hankerson-WR-Miami, Roy Helu-RB-Nebraska, DeJon Gomes-CB/S-Nebraska, Niles Paul-WR-Nebraska, Evan Royster-RB-Penn State, Aldrick Robinson-WR-SMU, Brandyn Thompson-CB-Boise State, Maurice Hurt-OG-Florida, Markus White-OLB-Florida State, Chris Neild-NT-West Virginia
Old 01-18-2009, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Canadian_draft_fan
Veteran

Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.Canadian_draft_fan wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMade View Post
For some reason I really think Angelo Crowell will be a Skin on the first day of FA.
I agree. As much as I like Hill, Crowell will probably rejoin Fletcher. A bit of a risk considering he was on IR this year but he certainly is a quality player.

Burnett might be good option, too. Certainly he would be an economical option.

If we sign him and DeAngelo Hall then we can focus on the lines in the draft.

Last edited by Canadian_draft_fan : 01-18-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Canadian_draft_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:28 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

Quote:
If we sign a OT we can start at RT for us then Id be all for drafting Maualuga at #13
Eh don't like his fit with our team.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP View Post
Eh don't like his fit with our team.
Why not? He can be that "leader" personality that we need but dont have on this team. Fletcher wont be here forever and Rey would be a great replacement in 2 years

Old 01-19-2009, 08:54 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why not? He can be that "leader" personality that we need but dont have on this team. Fletcher wont be here forever and Rey would be a great replacement in 2 years
I'd much prefer an OLB than a MLB at this point. Blades can get the job done if he has to but id prefer that he gets more used to the inside to replace LFB down the road. If we need to draft a LB in rd 1 I wouldnt mind a trade down for a guy like Clint Sintim.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:38 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty View Post
I'd much prefer an OLB than a MLB at this point. Blades can get the job done if he has to but id prefer that he gets more used to the inside to replace LFB down the road. If we need to draft a LB in rd 1 I wouldnt mind a trade down for a guy like Clint Sintim.
Sintim is not that good in coverage. I think Maualuga can play OLB really well. Im not really sure anymore if Blades will be the successor for Fletcher. I wouldn't mind picking up Crowell and still taking Maualuga. Another cheap guy I like is Paris Lenon from Detroit. I think he would be worth signing for depth and ST and spot starts.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

I do have a feeling we will be very active this offseason. I think Vinny knows his ass is riding on having a good season this year and we will spend a ton of money. I just hope its not all on big named FAs. I would enjoy getting a bunch of mid level guys who have something to prove and are young. Like Crowder or Crowell. But I wouldnt mind Dansby either lol

Old 01-20-2009, 09:31 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
I do have a feeling we will be very active this offseason. I think Vinny knows his ass is riding on having a good season this year and we will spend a ton of money. I just hope its not all on big named FAs. I would enjoy getting a bunch of mid level guys who have something to prove and are young. Like Crowder or Crowell. But I wouldnt mind Dansby either lol
i honestly do think that vinnys job is on the line this offseason which is why you may see the skins go after more imediate results at positions where we need immediate replacement starts. Its all going to depend on cuts.

If Washington is let loose then my guess is that we would address LBer in FA and not the draft. Someone like Crowell, Bart Scott, Dansy, etc. If Marcus is kept on board then I could see us drafting a LBer with our 3rd or 5th rounder. Maybe even our 1st.

If Jason Taylor is let go then the Skins will probably push hard on Peppers and Suggs. If Taylor restructures and sticks around then I doubt the Skins make any moves at DE.

If Griffin is let loose then the Skins will probably push hard for Haynesworth or another starting DT in FA.

On the OLine, Rhinehart should replace Kendall in the starting role. I don't know whats going to happen at OT because of the cap implications of cutting Jansen. Can Jansen slide over to Guard and take on the backup role? Maybe. Either way we need someone for the future at RT. It doesn't have to be in the first round either because you can find a good starting RT in rds 2 and on. If one of the big 4 OTs were to fall then I cannot see any way that we wouldn't take one of them.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:58 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

honestly, marcus washington is a servicable starter until he is injuried and then i think hb blades can handle the job until next year.. we just need to be conservative in spending our money this year and wait till we have a full draft(almost) next year and then address i think.

on another thought, with our safety friendly defense, i think nic harris would be an absolute beast in hortons role. nothing against horton, cause i love him, and hes a beast but im just sayin if we didnt, nic harris would be a beast in that role.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:21 AM    (permalink
toddmlazarchick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by critesy View Post
honestly, marcus washington is a servicable starter until he is injuried and then i think hb blades can handle the job until next year.. we just need to be conservative in spending our money this year and wait till we have a full draft(almost) next year and then address i think.

on another thought, with our safety friendly defense, i think nic harris would be an absolute beast in hortons role. nothing against horton, cause i love him, and hes a beast but im just sayin if we didnt, nic harris would be a beast in that role.
Harris is moving to LB thats where he is practicing at the senior bowl

Old 01-21-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Harris is moving to LB thats where he is practicing at the senior bowl
i know, im just saying if we put him at safety, he would probably do good in our system.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:44 PM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by critesy View Post

bottom line is that marcus is making way too much money for a "serviceable" starter. if the skins start makin moves to free up cap hes probably the first or second to go.