Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

View Poll Results: Who should we take in the first round?
CB Alphonso Smith, WF 6 26.09%
S William Moore, Mizzou 1 4.35%
LB Brandon Spikes, UF 1 4.35%
LB Clint Sintim, UVA 8 34.78%
CB Vontae Davis, Illinois 2 8.70%
CB DJ Moore, Vandy 0 0%
S Rashad Johnson, Bama 0 0%
LB Brian Cushing, USC 3 13.04%
OL Max Unger, Oregon 1 4.35%
Other (Specify) 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default POLL: Who do you want the Pats to draft with our first rounder?

It seems like there is a lot of dispute over which direction we go with our first rounder, so I made a poll that includes prospects (including underclassmen who may not have declared yet) that could be available where we are picking. If you think we should pick someone else say who it is and plaease explain your choice!

I am going with Clint Sintim. It comes down to Sintim and Alphonso Smith as the most likely options, and I think Sintim is the best talent and value. We have two second rounders where we can pick up a corner who is a good fit for our defense (Mike Mickens), but there will be no linebacker as valuable as Sintim in the second. Sintim is tailor-made for our defense and would be an excellent selection I believe.

Last edited by Don Vito : 01-14-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like you said, pre combine, it comes down to Sintim and Smith for me with an outside shot at Moore (although I doubt with Mays staying he will last), and I like our depth (if you can call it that) at LB more than at CB. O'neal, and Sanders were stop gaps, and bad ones at that. Wilhite, Hobbs, and Wheatley all show promise, but we are going to need more than 3cbs, between injuries, formations, schemes and what not. Smith just screams patriots to me, and I feel as though he would be a great fit, even though he does not have great combine numbers. Sintim is also a great fit, but I think we could get a guy later on, and I also feel that our younger guys (Guyton, Mayo, Redd, etc.) can get the job done at LB as they gain more experience. I would not be upset either way, nor would I be upset with Moore being the pick, but I doubt he stays with such a weak safety class, especially if he slims down and runs well at the combine.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Sintim as well.

That way, we don't have to draft another ILB. We could move Vrabel or Thomas to ILB once Sintim gets a hang of the D.
HellonEarth84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

I dont think CB will be a 1st round pick.

Ellis Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite, Meriweather, were all pretty high picks recently. The secondary needs some experience/leadership to go along with those players. Decent year for CB's in free agency too (Asomugha, Greer, Dunta, etc).
Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellonEarth84 View Post
I dont think CB will be a 1st round pick.

Ellis Hobbs, Wheatley, Wilhite, Meriweather, were all pretty high picks recently. The secondary needs some experience/leadership to go along with those players. Decent year for CB's in free agency too (Asomugha, Greer, Dunta, etc).
barring a free agent pickup i meant. i doubt they go big in FA, at least for a corner, otherwise y noy sign asante last year

Edit: Also, whichever position (CB LB) goes in the first, the other is surely to happen in the next 2, along with safety and maybe TE or OL

Last edited by Bigburt63 : 01-14-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Bigburt63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:47 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

CB's like Dunta and Greer would come at half the price Asante would've.

I think we'll have more Cap space this year as well. Rodney, Bruschi, Vrabel, and most specically Jarvis Green.... one of them is bound to get cut.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
CB's like Dunta and Greer would come at half the price Asante would've.

I think we'll have more Cap space this year as well. Rodney, Bruschi, Vrabel, and most specically Jarvis Green.... one of them is bound to get cut.
No chance Vrabel or Green get cut. Bruschi maybe, and Harrison may hang 'em up. Green is signed pretty cheap and Vrabel is very solid, although he may have lost a step.
Also, Dunta is still gonna get a hefty contract.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:33 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Green is cheap? He gets paid more than most starters on the team!
Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Quote:
Green is cheap? He gets paid more than most starters on the team!
I'll have to check up on that, but im pretty sure he doesnt ( unless you are talking about our rookie contract/vet minimum DBs), and def not more than the other DL, A. Thomas, Mayo.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:42 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for Clint Sintim. We need somebody to energize the pass rush and keep guys fresh. He knows the position, and he's versatile as well. Seems like a perfect fit.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm all for Clint Sintim. We need somebody to energize the pass rush and keep guys fresh. He knows the position, and he's versatile as well. Seems like a perfect fit.

My thoughts exactly. Our pass rush sucked last year

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted for Sintim and I will agree that our pass rush sucked last year, but our pass rush will be much better that it was in 2008 even if we don't take Sintim. We have Adalius coming back from injury; plus Crable (healthy), Woods, Guyton, and Redd will have one more year of NFL experience under their belts. I'm not denying that we need more youth and talent in our pass rush but we will not be as bad as we were last year at getting to the QB.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went Sintim for the above reasons. I dont see Moore or Davis being available by the time we pick and as mentioned above we can get players to suit the scheme in the 2nd. I wouldnt mind a day one draft of Clint Sintim, Sean Smith and Mike Mickens. Then go for depth on the O-line and ILB on day 2
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:42 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really don't see the downside in drafting Sintim with our first when we can get a guy like Darius Butler or one of the Cinci corners in the second. Really great cornerback depth in this draft. We're not getting Malcolm Jenkins and Vontae Davis doesn't exactly profile himself as the type of guy we're interested in, so why waste a pick on DJ Moore or Smith when we can get comparable value in the second?

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:14 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great topic/debate Don Vito.

I am personally into getting a LB in the first and then a corner in the second with one of our two picks. I really like Sintim as well. I am a huge fan of Brandon Spikes, if he had no stayed at Florida, I would vehemently argue with anyone and lobby for the Patriots to pick him. If Vontae Davis is on the board, I would pick him in the first because he has the opportunity to be something special, but I doubt he lasts to our pick.

I just want to ask you guys a few questions out of pure speculation, these are not my opinions, but I am wondering what you guys think about this.

1. If DE/OLB Maybin is still on the board, do you think Bill takes a gamble with this guy? He is an intriguing prospect, with amazing intangibles. After seeing Vernon Gholston with the Jets this year, many may feel that they should pass him.

2. The Patriots have the ammo to move up in the first round, if they so desire. If they did move up, who do you think they would target? Malcolm Jenkins, Vontae Davis, or a Maluluga (pardon my spelling) could be targets.

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 AM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Maybin reminds me of a younger, much more raw version of Colvin. I think he is some weight room time and coaching away from being a potentially impactful player. I guess he would be a possibility, but im not sure how much of a chance there is to draft him.
As for trading up, I don't know if they would, BB has a history of trading down to garner more picks, but i suppose if he fell in love with someone who was falling then they could move up, or possibly package both 2nds to move back in maybe.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:29 PM    (permalink
Bradyjackson12
Rookie

Bradyjackson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the best choice would be Vontae Davis if he's still available. Our pass rush will be a lot better next year with the return of all the injured guy and with the help of some second year guy like Redd and Crable. Both were guy to develop and I think Redd made some improvement during the course of the year and he often had the black jersey during pratice meaning he was one of the best guy at practicing (Belichik probably appreciate those kind of thing) Davis is clearly the best option and he would finally gives us a bigger corner able to battle for the ball with bigger receiver. I'm still haunted by some play during the last superbowl. It would be awesome if Davis falls to us at 23 because I don't envision Belichik trading up for any player. I don't think that's the kind of move he like to do.
Bradyjackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

Even when our team was healthy (ie Adalius Thomas) we weren't getting much pressure on the QB.

Redd wasn't impressive. Him and Crable are both long term projects. Woods is a RFA. Vrabel is old, and should be moved to ILB.

Last edited by HellonEarth84 : 01-16-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Crable showed some promise and should only help the pass rush. I think Conor Barwin could be an interesting possibility if he's there at the end of second and we take a corner in the first.
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll throw my vote in for a safety, but with the caveat that I'm totally unqualified to predict any particular player. I don't get to follow college ball enough to know who the blue chippers are and which guy is the better prospect.

I think it is likely a LB pick since the value at 23 is great financially, and there are several decent options this year at LB spots. However, that also means they could wait on LB since there should still be a USC LB available in round 2 (maybe need to move up in rd 2 though.)

CB is doubtful, imo. In fact I would be very surprised if they took a CB in round one, unless there is a tall CB to play the jump ball/fade routes that none of our current CBs are big enough to defend reliably.

OL or DT would be a wise pick since Wilfork is up next year and OL depth is always important, especially with a few guys getting long in the tooth.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:27 AM    (permalink
rattt

I voted for "other" because of the contractual status of both Vince Wilfork and Richard Seymour. If we stay at pick #23, the vote is for Tyson Jackson de LSU. If we move up in the draft, the pick is for B J Raji dt Boston College. Prior to the Senior Bowl, Raji night have been available around pick #23 but now is a top 15 prospect. thanks for listening--RATTT