Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Post declaration Mock (3 of em)

I have an idea that the FO will trade up (1st, 3rd and 4th)(Say from 32 to 23)

1) BJ Raji, NT, Boston College
2) Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB, Penn State
3C) Antoine Caldwell, C/G, Alabama
5) Garrett Reynolds, RT, North Carolina
6) Sammie Stroughter, WR/PR, Oregon State
7T) Mitch King, DE, Iowa
7) DeMonte' Bolden, DE, Tennessee

I got work tomorrow so I'll add them afterwards (Sit still and trade down mock).

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:24 AM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

If Maybin fell to our 2nd round pick I'd **** a brick, but I doubt that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 AM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raji wont make it to 23
Old 01-16-2009, 01:22 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART View Post
Raji wont make it to 23
It's a bit early to be saying that.

Quote:
If Maybin fell to our 2nd round pick I'd **** a brick, but I doubt that happens.
Could happen. didn't expect Sweed to hit our 2nd last year. Or Mendenhall our 1st either.

Maybin has potential, but he's extremely raw and likely can't contribute much his first and probably half of his second season.

Teams might feel they need a player who can contribute right away first. We have the luxury of allowing him to develop at his pace. It's possible.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:50 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If maybin actually adds those 10-20lbs before the combine it will be interesting to see how high he could go....if it wasn't for an injury he wouldn't have even played is the scary part.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:11 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.

no quarrel with any of those players, but I think it'd be highly irresponsible of the FO to wait until the comp 3rd to pick a lineman.

agree with others that Raji likely won't last past the 12-15 range. it'd be great to get him as a successor to hampton, but its just not in the cards.

maybin likely wouldn't be there in the late 2nd, as others have suggested. but maybe larry english / connor barwin / cody brown would be a fit. I'm not ready to bail on bruce davis quite yet.

nice call on stroughter in the mid-rounds, he'd at least contribute in the return game.
lance uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut View Post
no quarrel with any of those players, but I think it'd be highly irresponsible of the FO to wait until the comp 3rd to pick a lineman.

agree with others that Raji likely won't last past the 12-15 range. it'd be great to get him as a successor to hampton, but its just not in the cards.

maybin likely wouldn't be there in the late 2nd, as others have suggested. but maybe larry english / connor barwin / cody brown would be a fit. I'm not ready to bail on bruce davis quite yet.

nice call on stroughter in the mid-rounds, he'd at least contribute in the return game.
the addition of Maybin or another OLB is not a bailing on Bruce Davis. Most teams have a guy that can step up for their passrushers if they need a break go down. we have 1 this season and his name is Lawrence Timmons... he's the #1 backup at all 4 LB positions while playing ST's and being the Nickel/Dime LB. He's too damn good to keep off the field and whats stopping us from getting on there is depth.

I just don't know how high they trade up but..

I'm expecting this to be our OL heading into TC next year:

Starks - ? - Hartwig - Colon - Marvel Smith

I have a feeling they'll pickup a LG in FA (Goff/Carlisle). And I just feel they'll trade up for a guy they're smitten with.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:50 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.

here's a thought:

steelers re-sign starks, nate, fox, & essex. lose mcfadden (hurts, but looks inevitable), marvel, & kemo.

given the above, two draft scenarios with colbert moving us around:

TRADE UP (1st & 3rd & 6th):
1.) eben britton OT
2.) ziggy hood DE
3c.) mike mickens CB
4.) tyronne green OG
5.) pat white WR
7a.) alex magee DE
7b.) stryker sulak, OLB

TRADE DOWN (our 1st for an early 2 & 5) & UP (our own 2nd, 4th & acquired 5th for a mid 2nd):
2a.) troy kropog OT
2b.) ron brace NT
3a.) antoine caldwell C / OG
3b.) jarron gilbert, DE
5.) keenan lewis CB/S
6.) gerald cadogan OT
7a.) brandon williams OLB
7b.) zach potter DE
Old 01-16-2009, 03:07 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

I really don't think King would be a good fit as a 3-4 DE. His game is all about penetration.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation77 View Post
I really don't think King would be a good fit as a 3-4 DE. His game is all about penetration.
..... And the problem is?

he's 6'2 282lbs. atleast right now. You work him in behind Keisel and you utilize him in a rotation. I'm not looking for a Starter or a guy that will step in due to injury but what I'm looking for is a guy that could apply pressure in the 5 Tech/3 Tech Positions.

With King you can do a lot of things:

SDE: Bring him in on obvious passing downs to get into the backfield. Bringing Woodley behind him would also be a pain in the ass to defend.

WDE: Cycle him on passing downs. Harrison and King would give them 2 guys to worry about on the right side.

3 Tech: Allows us to bring in a package for a 4-3 and/or use a 2-down man Mixer with Smith as the NT and King as the 3 Tech. With Harrison, Woodley, Keisel, Farrior and Timmons walking around, thats just going to scare the crap out of people.

Bolden is a guy I'm looking to possibly be a starter as developmental but also I'm still looking at McCoy, Suh, Jones, Odrick in '10.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

who'd be a better Steeler, between BJ Raji and Ron Brace?
seems like those are the top DTs being talked about.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:16 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
who'd be a better Steeler, between BJ Raji and Ron Brace?
seems like those are the top DTs being talked about.
I think Raji is better cast as a 4-3 NT. He can penetrate and collapse the pocket from the interior.

Perhaps a bit stronger but not as athletic version of Sedrick Ellis.

Brace is built Like Jamal Williams and is a true 2 gapper. I'd prefer Brace for a few reasons. 1) He is "Longer" can handle 2 gaps better. 2) I feel he has more upside, atleast to a 3-4 team.

If I could change the mock it would be 1) Everette Brown, 2) Macho Harris.

I just have a feeling they trade up this year.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:17 AM    (permalink
skarocksoi
Veteran

skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.skarocksoi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
If maybin actually adds those 10-20lbs before the combine it will be interesting to see how high he could go....if it wasn't for an injury he wouldn't have even played is the scary part.
To clarify, if it weren't for Maurice Evans going all Cheech and Chong and getting caught, Maybin wouldn't have been the starter. I think he would have played, just in a backup role.

But on topic, I would love to have either Brace or Raji.

Edit: To also add to the O-lineman debate, unless we trade up, we are going to be drafting 31-32. Unless someone seriously drops, does anyone really think we will be able to draft an o-lineman that can start as a rookie? I think anyone you draft probably won't be able to start and be effective. It's not like just because you draft a guy in the first round it solves the problems. I'd rather us take the best pick available that fills our needs, regardless of where. Whether it be O or D lineman, or maybe CB if McFadden leaves. Someone who they can work in as a backup/situational guy and develop.

Last edited by skarocksoi : 01-20-2009 at 10:26 AM.
skarocksoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarocksoi View Post
To clarify, if it weren't for Maurice Evans going all Cheech and Chong and getting caught, Maybin wouldn't have been the starter. I think he would have played, just in a backup role.

But on topic, I would love to have either Brace or Raji.

Edit: To also add to the O-lineman debate, unless we trade up, we are going to be drafting 31-32. Unless someone seriously drops, does anyone really think we will be able to draft an o-lineman that can start as a rookie? I think anyone you draft probably won't be able to start and be effective. It's not like just because you draft a guy in the first round it solves the problems. I'd rather us take the best pick available that fills our needs, regardless of where. Whether it be O or D lineman, or maybe CB if McFadden leaves. Someone who they can work in as a backup/situational guy and develop.
At that point the only guys that can really start as rookies are G's/C's

even then I'd like to see our OL have a full offseason to train together.

Hartwig was a late addition.. Stapleton came in halfway. Same with Starks.

Imagine if they actually had time to get comfortable.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:53 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
At that point the only guys that can really start as rookies are G's/C's

even then I'd like to see our OL have a full offseason to train together.

Hartwig was a late addition.. Stapleton came in halfway. Same with Starks.

Imagine if they actually had time to get comfortable.
I'd go ballistic if we trade up for Oher.

But yeah, having our O-line set right after the draft will really help them solidify as a unit and improve. Whatever we do, I'm sure we take at least one o-line guy in the first three rounds.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarocksoi View Post
Edit: To also add to the O-lineman debate, unless we trade up, we are going to be drafting 31-32. Unless someone seriously drops, does anyone really think we will be able to draft an o-lineman that can start as a rookie? I think anyone you draft probably won't be able to start and be effective.
you really never know, and ability to start on day one probably ought not to be the determining factor anyway. there's more evidence of interior OL coming in and playing at a high level right away (faneca & mankins of NE come to mind). but it can certainly be done at the tackle position. marcus mcneill was a 2nd rounder I believe and went to the pro bowl as a rookie. sam baker, though drafted 21st, was thought to be a 2nd rounder and started nearly every game for a playoff team.

I feel pretty strongly that they're going to re-sign Starks, which seemingly takes the left side out of the equation. if that happens, and if Kemo leaves, then they really need to see if Colon can make it happen at LG. he just belongs inside. that'd leave RT open. I think guys like Loadholt (not my favorite OT, but probably best suited to the right side out of the guys I'm about to mention), Beatty, & Kropog could handle the job as rookies. that bar's been set fairly low by willie c.