Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2009, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Final Pre-Combine Mock.

Retained:



Max Starks

Chris Kemo

RFA's





1) Percy Harvin, WR/RS/ATH, Florida ~ 5'11 195, 4.36

I was heavily debating Nicks/Unger here but Harvin gives us an elite player that can instantly upgrade ST's meanwhile giving us a true monster slot WR presence.



*2* Trade. Using our 2nd and 4th we trade back up into mid round 2.



2T) Macho Harris, CB, Virginia Tech ~ 5'11 198 4.52

Macho gives us a guy that can play ST's as a rookie and his demeanor fits in our system. He's mean, loves to make contact. Covers great and has a knack for playing Zone coverage. Even though VT plays a 4-3 they do play a lot of zone and for that Harris has experience in Man and Zone coverage. His willingness to play the run is also a benefit. He would give our CB's a run for ball skills.



3A) Andy Levitre, G (C?), Oregon State ~ 6'2 308lbs 5.25

Levitre has been a mauler RT for Oregon State for a few years now. He doesn't have that kind of footwork to play it in the pro's but he could probably play as a rookie inside with his attitude and demeanor really fit the mauler run style.



3C) Lawrence Sidbury Jr., OLB, Richmond ~ 6'3 268lbs 4.72

Lawrence has similar athleticism as Woodley coming out and is a shade bigger. He's powerful and quick off the snap. He could be used as a 4-3 DE and a situational Rusher as a rookie. This allows us to utilize Timmons as an everydown ILB with Foote rotating and Bruce Davis hopefully ready to contribute. If he shows enough athleticism he might even be able to play inside as well.

*4* Traded.

5) Garrett Reynolds, OT, North Carolina -- 6'7 310lbs 5.28

Garrett is said to remind people of David Stewart (Titans starting RT.) He doesn't have the flashy athleticism but the guy is one of the most consistent RT's in the NCAA. He doesn't have LT feet but he is more than adequate as a RT. With his surge in the run game and anchor in the passgame, he may not achieve Pro-bowl status, but he can be a consistent and solid RT for the next 10 years. Could eventually slide Colon to RG.

6) Darrell Richard, 3-4 DE/4-3 UT, Georgia Tech 64 305lbs 4.95

Richard is a guy who's shown great potential to get after the quarterback from the 3-tech spot. However he has the size and athleticism that should warrant some looks in a draft dry of 3-4 DE talent. I think he could be brought in and trained behind Keisel. However I still think an addition of Suh/Jones/Oghobaase/McCoy and Odrick is in order next season. But I think Richard could provide a solid 5-tech pass rush, as he continues to improve his anchor and ability to play the run.

7T) Myron Pryor, NT, Kentucky ~ 6'1 315lbs 5.08

Pryor may not be a natural fit and he may only end up being a 1-gap rotational guy (Hokie?) but he can stand up Centers/Guards and he can get in the backfield. His athleticism is underrated because he can and does very often get after the QB's. He even had a game where he made the QB Fumble, picked up the ball rumbled 70 or so yards and wasn't even close to being caught.

7) Jose Valdez, OT/OG, Arkansas 65 308lbs 4.98

Jose's Jr. year he was considered one of the better OT's in the SEC. As a senior the entire Arkansas team struggled. Posting a 5-7 Record overall while going 2-6 in the conference. But hey, Bobby Petrino has that effect on people. Valdez has LT feet, a feisty attitude and a heavyweight punch. He needs to work on lower body strength and leverage, but if he continues to show progress he could honestly be a steal. Now I know I do pimp low round players and UDFA's for upside but this kid is one I truly feel that if he catches on to the program in the Pro's he could end up being a very good pro Tackle. Top 10? Unlikely, but top 15 isn't out of the question with his attitude, strength and athleticism.

UDFA:

Chase Patton, QB, Missouri - Matt Cassell 2.0? Patton lacks experience but has all the intangibles.

Fui Vakapuna, FB, BYU - Fui was the main RB on campus but dropped to FB to help with Manase Tonga and Harvey Unga. He's an excellent openfield reciever, powerful runner and with continued development could be a brick shithouse of a blocker.

Brian Hartline, WR, OSU - Leaving too soon thanks to Terrell Pryor. Decent size, decent speed, solid receiver with KR ability.

Derek Kinder, WR, Pittsburgh - If there really was a Hines Ward 2, Kinder would be him.

David Washington, C, Oklahoma State - Great size and plenty of strength/experience.

Matt Slauson, OG/OT, Nebraska - Don't know if Slauson falls here but he's versatile and has some solid size.



Marcus Hands, DE/DT, East Carolina - Big fast player that has had injury concerns. But has a lot of potential.

Ty Steinkuhler, DE/DT, Nebraska - Played NT for Nebraska this season next to Suh. Was a huge reason for their ability to contain RB's. Shows SDE potential.

Julius Williams, DE/OLB, Connecticut - Very very fast and underrated counterpart of Cody Brown who will get drafted earlier.

Robert Francois, ILB, Boston College- Size, athleticism and intelligent. Underrated player as Herzlich steals most of that defenses thunder (As well as Raji/Brace)

Ryan Mouton, CB/RS, Hawaii - Excellent KR but has impressive speed and recovery ability.

DJ Clark, CB/FS, Idaho State - Size to play FS, Speed and ability to play Corner. Interesting prospect.



TJ Conley, P, Idaho

Nathan Parseghian, K, Miami(OH)


My Methodology.


We need help in a few area's. McFadden and Washington leaving are making it the 2 biggest holes out of the gate. Sweed is an unknown... DeShea's Age and ***'s inexperience?


So with that in mind, I went BPA in respect to needs (Which I often do).

Harvin: Harvin comes out of the gate as a "Weapon" He instantly lifts the Punt Return and allows Holmes to focus solely on receiving. Harvin can play the slot out of the box and his open field prowess ability is insane. Harvin also played out of the backfield at Florida which really makes him a guy you can move around and if there was a Dick LeBeau of Offense, this kid would be his Troy Polamalu.

Harris: I had a huge crush on Flowers last year because despite his short stature he was powerful, explosive, could make a play on the ball, could blitz and played the run willingly. Harris is a tad larger and more athletic version. He does very well to read the QB and he has extensive experience in a zone oriented system. He could compete for the Nickel/Dime as a rookie, take over KR's and eventually challenge for that #2 spot.

Andy Levitre: Levitre was a mauling RT from Oregon State. He's athletic and agile but he doesn't have the prerequisite size for a RT, and frankly, he's probably better off inside. But he's probably one of the more fiestier guys in this draft and he can get a push in the run game. I figure he can challenge for RG if they don't sign anyone to play RT.

Lawrence Sidbury: His burst off the snap is ridiculous and his size/athleticism is interesting. He'd definitely give us a heck of guy for depth behind Woodley.. He might even have the ability to play some SILB as well. The fact of the matter is, Timmons is stuck behind Foote, not because Foote is outplaying him, but, because he's the only depth we have across the LB board. With Davis hopefully surfacing next year, Sidbury in behind Woodley and Foote the primary ILB backup.. Timmons can start reaking havoc.

Garrett Reynolds: He reminds me of David Stewart the Tennessee RT. Nothing flashy, just a hit you in your mouth and technical OT. Solid punch and he gets a great push in the run game, Has the athleticism to take on the speedier rushers and more than adequate anchor against the bullrushers. I hope he can develop the same.

Darrell Richard: He reminds me of a young Keisel. He's BPA at this point but I think he can provide a passrush as a rookie as he continues to get stronger and learning to hold the point. He stands up OL well but I just don't think he has the anchor. Like I said above. I make this pick as a future Rotational player and will be content adding Jared Odrick and one of the Following: Arthur Jones, Syracuse / Gerald McCoy, Oklahoma/ Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska.

Odrick is the perfect guy to replace Smith in a year or 2 and Suh, my #1 choice reminds me of a Haloti Ngata type player. Not his strength, completely, but very raw and very powerful and quick.

Myron Pryor. Pryor is almost built as a Tampa2 Nosetackle as he can penetrate and stop the run, I don't care if he develops, IMHO I think he would be a valuable assett as an interior 1 gap passrusher. He could rotate as a future Hoke.

Jose Valdez: A lot of people are down on him but there was a lot going on... first Arkansas hired Petrino. Secondly, they lost McFadden, Jones and Hillis in 1 draft. Valdez has extensive experience playing both tackle spots. I'm taking a flyer on him here because he's EXTREMELY athletic and very raw. Think of a smarter Kemo for OT. He has a heavyweight off the snap punch and does well against both speed and power rushers, he just tends to lose leverage every so often. He's honestly a guy I think that has a chance to make an impact on this team 2-4 years down the road as he becomes more refined in his technique.

And I explained the UDFA's
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:19 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canton, MD
Posts: 4,119
Reputation: 19156
mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

i really like the draft..

especially sidbury - i think he has the potential to be something special...

i love hardin in the first as well..

levitre is a good pick and would fit our scheme nicely..

my only gripe is in the 2nd round... as much as i like macho, i just feel as though corner may not be that huge of a need for us with the way *** has really come into his own... and deshea / lewis being able to play that nickle

i would rather see us try to trade up in the 2nd and grab a guy like tyson jackson if he falls or maybe stay where we are in the 2nd or even trade back and grab a guy like evander hood / paul krunger
__________________

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
i really like the draft..

especially sidbury - i think he has the potential to be something special...

i love hardin in the first as well..

levitre is a good pick and would fit our scheme nicely..

my only gripe is in the 2nd round... as much as i like macho, i just feel as though corner may not be that huge of a need for us with the way *** has really come into his own... and deshea / lewis being able to play that nickle

i would rather see us try to trade up in the 2nd and grab a guy like tyson jackson if he falls or maybe stay where we are in the 2nd or even trade back and grab a guy like evander hood / paul krunger

1) Who's Lewis?

2) William *** played fine for a short stint. DeShea is going on 35. You almost need 3 "Startable" corners in this league. I mean. Look at the best passing defenses:

Steelers: Ike, Bmac, DeShea, Willie G.
Ravens: McCallister, Rolle, Washington, Ivy
Eagles: Brown, Samuel, Sheppard

1 injury and you have DeShea/Ike or ***/DeShea or Ike/*** and Anthony Madison is your NB.

Harris bring some hands, and the ability to be a monster in our zone coverage.

As for Tyson Jackson I have him as DND. The guy has "Marcus Spears" written all over him. Flash in the pan sophmore season followed by 2 mediocre seasons. And with the talent on that LSU DL... Dorsey, Jackson, RJF, Al Woods, Kirston Pittman and I'm feeling like I'm forgetting someone... You think Jackson would've made some plays.

Don't forget we have Kyle Clement coming back from IR the 6'4 318lb SDE was #2 on the depth chart last year before the injury.

Add Darrell Richard as a weakside rotational guy and Eason..

RDE: Brett Keisel -> Nick Eason -> Darrell Richard
NT: Casey Hampton -> Chris Hoke -> Myron Pryor
SDE: Aaron Smith -> Kyle Clement -> Ty Steinkuhler


Add the fact that the premise of this was to build up the positions that we'll need in the next 2 years by taking the BPA with respect to needs approach..

(Slot WR/PR, CB/KR, OG, DE/OLB, RT, DE, NT, LT)

Where in 2010 we can nab any combination of:

Jared Odrick + Gerald McCoy/Ndamukong Suh/Arthur Jones/Vince Oghobaase + Jerry Hughes/Jeff Owens.
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:50 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Canton, MD
Posts: 4,119
Reputation: 19156
mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

lewis as in roy lewis... he showed great potential in camps and throughout practices...

he is better than walker/washington/ivy from the ravens
__________________

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western PA
Posts: 30,736
Reputation: 624048
Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I like Jerius Byrd from Oregon. Seems like a bigger BMac with better hands. I think he will run in the 4.5 range and could be our number 3 off the bat.

I like the Harvin pick, he would be explosive. I would like to look at Eric Wood in the third round. He is a mauler and will help our run game a lot, plus he could play center if needed.
__________________
Hines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Posts: 10,675
Reputation: 366385
Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I love this draft. People will go nuts if we ignore the OL until the 3rd round again, but the first two picks are great value. Plus if we keep Starks and Kemo we can bring this OL back and they have been playing better lately. I think they can improve with an offseason together.

Harvin is a great pick. We'll need someone to put at receiver when Nate leaves and we need a return man really bad.

I love Harris. Everyone should know this by now. Hes going to be a damn good corner. He, Ike, ***, and Townsend are a damn good group to have. McFadden is as good as gone in my book.

Levitre is a good pick for depth. I'd plan on putting him at RG and sliding Stapleton back to center after Hartwig leaves.

Favorite thing about this, Derek Kinder. He is going to be a great player. Ive been watching him for years at Pitt and I really think hes gonna explode on the league.

Hartline on the other hand is awful. He dropped alot of balls this season, and never really showed anything in the return game.
__________________

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:19 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: dethtour...Cena fears workrate.
Posts: 3,201
Reputation: 13840
DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I'm starting to love this mock. Where we will be picking the elite lineman will be gone....except maybe an overrated Duke Robinson.

I would love Harvin...but I don't know if he will be around that long
__________________


Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
lewis as in roy lewis... he showed great potential in camps and throughout practices...

he is better than walker/washington/ivy from the ravens
You really feel that way? I don't. Lewis hasn't shown me anything yet. He looked promising in pre-season against 5's and 6's WR's but.. He hasn't played a meaningful down whereas Walker/Washington/Ivy (And I hope you don't mean Fabian who's been very very very good for the Ravens)...

There's a reason when DeShea/BMac were down they brought in Bryant who's... Terrible and didn't promote Lewis.

That's not to say he won't be able to do it, but just like I drafted Harvin... Sweed looks promising, but he's not guaranteed either, though I really really believe in him.


Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I like Jerius Byrd from Oregon. Seems like a bigger BMac with better hands. I think he will run in the 4.5 range and could be our number 3 off the bat.

I like the Harvin pick, he would be explosive. I would like to look at Eric Wood in the third round. He is a mauler and will help our run game a lot, plus he could play center if needed.
Jarius is a decent option.. I wouldn't be completely against him.. I just think Harris is the perfect player for our style of defense and scheme.

He's got swagger, is a big hitter, loves playing the run and has some of the better ballskills in the draft. He's basically a bigger lankier Flowers and god knows I loved Flowers last year and he's been killer in a cover2.... a coverage we've run with regularity this season.

Harvin would be a great pick and it's not even his speed that I covet the most. It's an added bonus...

1) Being a competitor: He makes catches in traffic. He doesn't shy from contact. He's willing to take a hit if it guarantee's an extra yard. He doesn't quit.

2) Vision: His ability to make the cutback is what we've been seeing out of Holmes in just the last 2 games. He's a guy you can get the ball to out of the backfield or in the flats and with his downfield vision he can see the best line of progress to follow allowing him the best opportunity to make a play. This is by far in my opinion, his best asset... except for....

3) Versatility: You can line this kid up anywhere. Wide, Slot, in the backfield, off the TE... not to mention PR/KR. Which only benefit from my first 2 opinions of him. I love the fact that he uses all his tools coherently and even if he struggles his first season, I see a lot of talent in this kid and don't mind waiting a season or 2 for him to put it together.

That said..


Parker, Mendenhall, Sweed, Holmes, Miller, Spaeth, MeMo and possibly Washington...


Thats a LOT of sub 30yr old talent for Ben to work with. And then you add Harvin..

I'm not a fan of Wood. In 3 I'd rather add Caldwell, Shipley or Canfield if I don't go with Levitre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I love this draft. People will go nuts if we ignore the OL until the 3rd round again, but the first two picks are great value. Plus if we keep Starks and Kemo we can bring this OL back and they have been playing better lately. I think they can improve with an offseason together.

Harvin is a great pick. We'll need someone to put at receiver when Nate leaves and we need a return man really bad.

I love Harris. Everyone should know this by now. Hes going to be a damn good corner. He, Ike, ***, and Townsend are a damn good group to have. McFadden is as good as gone in my book.

Levitre is a good pick for depth. I'd plan on putting him at RG and sliding Stapleton back to center after Hartwig leaves.

Favorite thing about this, Derek Kinder. He is going to be a great player. Ive been watching him for years at Pitt and I really think hes gonna explode on the league.

Hartline on the other hand is awful. He dropped alot of balls this season, and never really showed anything in the return game.

I agree... There is a lot of bitching if no OL especially if Mack, Robinson, Luigs, Unger or Britton are there, and frankly I don't care. The value that Harvin can bring to this team far outweighs a decent lineman.

Harvin is just amazing in terms of what he brings to the table for this team. He makes plays from the Slot, RB spot and ST's.. As seen earlier.

Victor Harris is phenomenal. I love him more than I did Flowers last year and my manlove for Flowers was insane. He's perfect for the Cover2/3 Scheme behind a zone blitz and I think he could quickly work his way up the starting #2. He's just got too much ability to play in this scheme to not get him.

Levitre just plays with a nasty attitude and if we don't sign a cheap FA RT (Tauscher, Black, Runyan... maybe even Marvel Smith?)

I have a feeling Marvel Smith will be our Day 1 RT, allowing Colon to play RG and having Levitre as the backup to RG. We might even sign Essex back as he'd be a good insurance policy for LT/LG especially if Hills hasn't grown much.

I love Kinder. He reminds me of a Hines Ward esque player. Mediocre speed, but, very crisp routes, great hands, and isn't afraid to block. In fact his most memorable play may just be the "ESPN Play of 2007". It's the Darrelle Revis run back. What Memorable play did he make? remember the lanky WR that killed 2 Mountaineers with 1 Block?

If Keith Rivers is having Night Tremors with Ward and now Sweed showing a propensity for throwing his weight around, Imagine if Kinder makes the roster.

As for Hartline, I was just looking for a guy that could do some things and has potential. Every other time I've been taking DJ Boldin. Quans little brother (5'11 220, 4.59) Reliable receiver, but small school and doesn't have great size.

Change Hartline for Boldin in that Scenario then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
I'm starting to love this mock. Where we will be picking the elite lineman will be gone....except maybe an overrated Duke Robinson.

I would love Harvin...but I don't know if he will be around that long
If I could make a dream mock, this is it right now. The only guy I might change is Garrett Reynolds for Houston's Vollmer but other than that it's really getting me excited.. Why? Cause I can almost guarantee that Pitt will be trading up at one point. Whether Round 1 or 2... I feel it.

I love Harvin as well. I just have a feeling he'll be around, and frankly, I wouldn't mind trading up for him as well if we had to.

I see him going after Crabs, Maclin + Nicks. depending on how many teams buy into the "Size" argument... with his speed and intangibles Britt may even jump himself into round 1.

I have a feeling Robinson, Unger, Mack and Luigs will be all there with Possibly Britton.

Britton is the poor poor mans version of Joe Thomas. No Thanks. I'd take Starks over Joe Thomas every day of the week.
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Western PA
Posts: 30,736
Reputation: 624048
Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

You seriously would take Starks over Thomas? Wow. Thomas is labled as one of the best, if not the best LT's in the league.

Wow.
__________________
Hines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:54 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,764
Reputation: 9588
Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
You seriously would take Starks over Thomas? Wow. Thomas is labled as one of the best, if not the best LT's in the league.

Wow.
As a passblocker. Sure if we're just a passing oriented offense, I take Thomas.

He's worthless in the run game.
__________________

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Posts: 6,945
Reputation: 994490
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I'm not really sure how it would happen, but i'd much rather trade up for another second rounder and keep the other one; i'm guessing it would have to be with either a 3+4+5 or 3+4+6 combo or something of the sort, but i'd really look into that.

I'm loving the Percy Harvin and Victor Harris picks. I've really been thinking about Harris for a long time, and as Mr. Stiller pointed out, he's pretty much perfect for our scheme.

As for Harvin, he'd be a monster in our offense. I think of him as a Wes Welker / Anquan Boldin type of player. He'll make tough catches, and is skittery, like Welker. He's deadly with the ball after the catch, like Boldin. Add in the fact that the O-line's not great and Ben needs to get rid of the ball quickly, Harvin would be the escape valve. It'd be great.

As is the case in Stiller's mock draft, Harvin would be 1 and Harris 2, but with our second-second round pick, I'd like to see either Duke Robinson or Ron Brace. I know Robinson didn't have a great game vs. Florida, but I still have faith that he can become a great guard. Many people have him lowering in draft boards, and I think that if he drops to this pick we can't pass him up. As for Brace, he seems great for our scheme. A true 2-gap player, is strong and pushes the center backwards with ease (at least in the senior bowl practices). If not him, then "Ziggy" Hood could also be an option. He's been great in practices, humiliating offensive linemen on a couple of plays.

Anyway, the mock is phenomenal as it stands, great job Stiller!
__________________

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:01 PM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 199
Reputation: 818
lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.
Default

great effort, a few comments:

* I'm sorry, I can't get behind the idea of drafting a florida wr with our first pick, esp. when we have crying needs along both lines;

* andy levitre will not last until the 100th or so pick of the draft; he probably will not last till our 2nd rounder; he's ranked ahead of duke robinson on most boards of late.

* I understand your rationale for drafting a CB, but I'd much rather we go DL there if we're trading up; Hood would've been a nice pick; I just cannot see us waiting until the 6th round to address DL; dime backs grow on trees, contributing 3-4 DEs do not.

thanks as always, I enjoy your posts.
lance uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 PM    (permalink
savedbygrace89
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Western, NC
Posts: 53
Reputation: 21359
savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.savedbygrace89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Dont Wait Til The 3rd Round

If the Steelers wait til the 3rd round I will have nervous break down I think..
__________________
Proud To Say I Am A Sinner Saved By The Grace of God...
May God Truly Bless Each and Everyone of You...
Proud Veteran of Steeler Nation for Over 30 Years and The 6 Time Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers
savedbygrace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:47 AM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 905
Reputation: 89
THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Nice thoughts. Love talkin draft. We may disagree but I'll give my thoughts. First off, I hope we don't resign Kemoeatu. I was a huge fan of his when we drafted him and his first few years and loved him getting a chance. But he's undisciplined, gets lost too often and commits too many false start penalties. Resigning him would be a mistake in my opinion.

I love the Florida Gators and love Percy Harvin. I'm all for taking the best player available and think Harvin can be a great weapon. But I wouldn't go with him with our 1st round pick in a mock. I think Harvin will be used in the role that Reggie Bush should be used in...wr, return man, 3rd down back. Anyway, I won't dwell, he's a good player, not my choice, but I'd be happy with him.

My first round target is Alex Mack. The guy is absolutely perfect for us. He can start year 1 at guard and be year 3-4 take over at Center and carry on the legendary Steelers tradition at the position. I really hope no one says he won't be around because I don't think Harvin will either so we can all hope. Mack is elite at his position and could start right away at our team's biggest weakness.

I have the same concerns about Unger as I've seen listed...question if he's a star at any of the positions and I'm all about adding stars in the first round. But he's still one of my top targets because I find I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be at least an above average starter at center, guard or right tackle and right now that's a huge upgrade to our o-line.

I like a guy like Caldwell, especially checking in at 307lbs at the Senior Bowl and increasing his chances to play guard. And I'm fine if we go elsewhere in round 1 because I think we could get a solid lineman in the 2nd or 3rd. But, one thing I'm totally against, would be passing on a guy like Mack or Unger in the 1st because we have a chance at a guy like Caldwell in round 3 or 4. You never know what's going to happen in the draft and have to take the guys you want when you have the chance. Similarly, I completely would disagree with anyone saying we have to take an olineman in the 1st or 2nd, because I hate reaching or forcing a pick, but, as of now I'm not passing on Mack or Unger in the first for something else.

I'm OK with a CB early. I also think Deshea will be gone sooner rather than later and a solid young 4th CB is never a bad thing. I'm hoping we resign BMac and whether we do or don't obviously severely changes the need for a CB.

Nice to see the oline attacked hard throughout the draft.

Ideally I'd like to target a DE earlier than this draft has. We've been so horrible in recent years taking DE's late, Nua, Orien Harris, McBean, etc, that I personally don't agree with people that continue to point back to Keisel and Smith. I loved Merling, Langford and Jones last year and we passed on them for Mendenhall and Sweed. Let's still hope Mendenhall and Sweed pan out, but my main point is that if we're dialing up our ideal mock drafts, a DE is selected far before the 6th round. In fact, I'd probably take one in the 2nd/3rd and the 5th-7th.

Last edited by THav916 : 01-28-2009 at 07:12 PM.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 538
Reputation: 433
SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
Ideally I'd like to target a DE earlier than this draft has. We've been so horrible in recent years taking DE's late, Nua, Orien Harris, McBean, etc, that I personally don't agree with people that continue to point back to Keisel and Smith. I loved Merling, Langford and Jones last year and we passed on them for Mendenhall and Sweed. Let's still hope Mendenhall and Sweed pan out, but my main point is that if we're dialing up our ideal mock drafts, a DE is selected far before the 6th round. In fact, I'd probably take one in the 2nd/3rd and the 5th-7th.

i too hope we target a DE early, BUT there have been points made that Kyle Clement is coming back. And he did make the team this last year, and looked alright when he played. If we don't chase a DE it has to be because the coaches think Clement can play.
i believe that DT is just as important as DE.
__________________
...The Pittsburgh Steelers represent a way of life...
SCSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 905
Reputation: 89
THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
i too hope we target a DE early, BUT there have been points made that Kyle Clement is coming back. And he did make the team this last year, and looked alright when he played. If we don't chase a DE it has to be because the coaches think Clement can play.
i believe that DT is just as important as DE.
Yes I've noticed the Kyle Clement talk as well. A few things. First off, no way I'm not drafting someone because we have Kyle Clement. I can also say that's no different than someone saying they like Roy Lewis so let's not draft a CB or I like Jason Capizzi so let's not draft a Tackle or...you get the idea. Third, for the simple fact that Kyle Clement MADE the team might be even more a reason to target a DE early. I think that shows the disappointment in the Ryan McBean's of the world, and the fact that we played Orpheus Roye this year tells me that you could argue Clement made the team based on it being a weakness just as much as him looking good. In addition, we're in the Super Bowl, so we're going to be pretty strong at most positions. If we point to all of the Kyle Clement's on this team and say we don't need that position early, then we won't pick anybody. Kirschke will be 35, Smith 33, Roye 36, Eason 29 and Keisel 31. And all of those reasons add up to why I think we should take a DE early and possibly two of them.

I don't disagree with your NT thought. It'd be nice to have a guy waiting in the wings. Myron Pryor is just one example and I'm sure there are several more out there but that'd be a fine 6th/7th round pick in my opinion. I even liked a player like Ahtyba Rubin last year. I do think because it's a position where you just have to be huge, it seems to have great longevity so Hampton has some good years left in him. I think Hoke has at least one more good year left in him. I'd say in 2010 or 2011 will be the perfect year to take a NT but if we did this year and worked him into the rotation, I'm all for it.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Posts: 538
Reputation: 433
SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
Yes I've noticed the Kyle Clement talk as well. A few things. First off, no way I'm not drafting someone because we have Kyle Clement. I can also say that's no different than someone saying they like Roy Lewis so let's not draft a CB or I like Jason Capizzi so let's not draft a Tackle or...you get the idea. Third, for the simple fact that Kyle Clement MADE the team might be even more a reason to target a DE early. I think that shows the disappointment in the Ryan McBean's of the world, and the fact that we played Orpheus Roye this year tells me that you could argue Clement made the team based on it being a weakness just as much as him looking good. In addition, we're in the Super Bowl, so we're going to be pretty strong at most positions. If we point to all of the Kyle Clement's on this team and say we don't need that position early, then we won't pick anybody. Kirschke will be 35, Smith 33, Roye 36, Eason 29 and Keisel 31. And all of those reasons add up to why I think we should take a DE early and possibly two of them.

I don't disagree with your NT thought. It'd be nice to have a guy waiting in the wings. Myron Pryor is just one example and I'm sure there are several more out there but that'd be a fine 6th/7th round pick in my opinion. I even liked a player like Ahtyba Rubin last year. I do think because it's a position where you just have to be huge, it seems to have great longevity so Hampton has some good years left in him. I think Hoke has at least one more good year left in him. I'd say in 2010 or 2011 will be the perfect year to take a NT but if we did this year and worked him into the rotation, I'm all for it.


Well put, (i think this guy deserves more rep points than 10!)!
Believe me, I wanna see CB, DE, DT all addressed in the 1st 3 rounds. I'm just holding out for hope that there is a reason that we haven't addressed these spots earlier in the last few drafts.
...i think a lot of it depends on the direction we go with the O-line...
The O-line situation is starting to confuse me. Is Stapleton gonna stay at guard, or move to center? Is Colon gonna stay at Tackle or move to guard? Are we resigning Kimo, or letting him go? Is Kendall Simmons staying put? Will Marvel move to RT?
the whole thing is driving me crazy!
__________________
...The Pittsburgh Steelers represent a way of life...
SCSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:24 AM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 905
Reputation: 89
THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
Well put, (i think this guy deserves more rep points than 10!)!
Believe me, I wanna see CB, DE, DT all addressed in the 1st 3 rounds. I'm just holding out for hope that there is a reason that we haven't addressed these spots earlier in the last few drafts.
...i think a lot of it depends on the direction we go with the O-line...
The O-line situation is starting to confuse me. Is Stapleton gonna stay at guard, or move to center? Is Colon gonna stay at Tackle or move to guard? Are we resigning Kimo, or letting him go? Is Kendall Simmons staying put? Will Marvel move to RT?
the whole thing is driving me crazy!
Ha, thanks man. I didn't even know what rep points are so I'm certainly not worried about them. I do love talkin draft so I'll be on a lot more often now.

The nice thing about NFL is free agency is before the draft so hopefully a good amount of all of our question marks will be answered by the time the draft comes. All we can do now is guess and speculate.

Personally, I'd like Max Starks, BMac and Nate Washington as options 1, 2 and 3. I would let Kemoeatu and Marvel walk. I'm disappointed we didn't see Essex this year but based on the fact we didn't then I'd have to lean towards just letting him go. I'd like to let Colon walk but tendering him for one more year is probably the way to go. I just wish they'd actually move him to guard in the offseason and see what he can do. Even if he'd be a horrible guard, it's worth a shot because he should not be a starting right tackle. Maybe he could be an above average guard and we could look to resign him next year. Maybe he'd be a horrible guard and we'd let him walk next year. Maybe he'd be serviceable and worth resigning cheap next year if possible to be a 6th lineman. But the only way we can evaluate that properly is if they give him a shot at guard. I'd love to cut Simmons but we're going to have so many defections on the o-line that this probably isn't doable.

It'd be nice to hear about Jason Capizzi and more importantly, Tony Hills' progress. As for Stapleton, I don't think he's specifically pegged for anything. I think he could be a center in the future, could be a starting guard, could be a backup swingman. We have to draft however we want and then fit Stapleton into those plans. For instance, I don't think we pass on Alex Mack because Stapleton is pegged as center of the future. But, if we draft Duke Robinson, then maybe Stapleton still is the center of the future.

If we resign Max, Bmac, Nate and Colon to 1 year then I see the following.

Biggest Needs:

Guard: I absolutely cannot get enough of the fact that this is the strongest Center class in recent history and most of them double as guards. Factor in that we're the Pittsburgh Steelers...Webster, Dawson, Hartings...and I just love the idea of coming out of this draft with a stud Center of the future that can immediately start at guard. The fact that between rounds 1 and 4 guys like Mack, Unger, Wood, Luigs and Caldwell all give us this option is tremendous.

Right Tackle: No way I want Willie Colon as our long term RT. I'd love seeing Tony Hills be the guy but, a common theme with me, I'm not passing on a guy because we have Tony Hills. Another young RT would give us two young guys to compete at the position. Absolutely nothing wrong with both of them being good and having a strong third tackle as we saw how important that was this year.

Defensive End: This is such a strength for our team that I want to make sure it continues to be a strength. I've already stated all of my reasons for a DE above, so I won't rehash.

Next Needs:
Cornerback, Nose Tackle, Wide Receiver: I'm putting these all in the same group because they're all here for similar reasons. They are strong positions but each have a veteran at the position that can't do it for that much longer...Townsend, Hoke and Hines. Don't see Townsend being here too much longer, if at all, so a corner to push William *** as the 3rd/4th CB is a nice strength to have. A young NT to work into the rotation, or even be on the practice squad for a year, would be a nice player to have to replace Hoke in a year or two. Hines is obviously on another level than Townsend and Hoke, but factor in Sweed's uncertainty (I still believe but still...) and the need for a return man (this could also be obtained via the cornerback) drafting a WR that could be our 5th WR with potential as a 2nd/3rd/4th would be nice.

That's six different positions. Factor in an extra o-lineman or d-lineman to the mix or go with BPA once or twice and that's about 10 different options/players to come away with with our 8/9 or so picks.

Last edited by THav916 : 02-01-2009 at 10:08 AM.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:15 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Arlington VA
Posts: 1,164
Reputation: 722
ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.
Default

Congrats tonight... I won't lie.. I am a steelers hater but you came up big when it counted... congrats...
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
AgentM
Rookie
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 122
Reputation: 120
AgentM hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

This is an interesting and exciting mock draft, kudos on the creativity and the way it both brings in players that could be a steal (Harvin) and are perfect picks for our system like Harris (who I also drool over) and Levitre. Well done Mr Stiller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut View Post
* I'm sorry, I can't get behind the idea of drafting a florida wr with our first pick, esp. when we have crying needs along both lines;
As electric as Harvin is I hate to say that I get a funny feeling about drafting a Gator wideout too, especially one that was as much a RB as a WR in college.

Last year though I wanted Andre Caldwell so bad as he reminded me (and a few of you if I remember correctly) of a faster Hines Ward. Maybe I'm being seduced by the dark side these past few years...

Speaking of Caldwell, he was drafted by Cincy, wasn't he? Did he do anything this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
If we resign Max, Bmac, Nate and Colon to 1 year then I see the following.

Biggest Needs:

Guard: I absolutely cannot get enough of the fact that this is the strongest Center class in recent history and most of them double as guards. Factor in that we're the Pittsburgh Steelers...Webster, Dawson, Hartings...and I just love the idea of coming out of this draft with a stud Center of the future that can immediately start at guard. The fact that between rounds 1 and 4 guys like Mack, Unger, Wood, Luigs and Caldwell all give us this option is tremendous.
I agree 100% with your point about the centers in the draft that can double as guards and I'd just hate to come out of this draft w/o one of those guys.
AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.