Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Vikings to Los Angeles?

I found this while looking at the proposed LA stadium web page. It was written by Andrew Brandt

Vikings Loving L.A.?
The Vikings’ ownership will say all the right things publicly about their commitment to staying in Minnesota, the love for the fans, etc. However, be certain they are keeping one eye glued to what’s happening in Los Angeles, where a sparkling $800M stadium may be rising in the nation’s second-largest market.

On Tuesday, voters in Industry (not the most alluring name, no?), Calif., approved a bond on the ballot providing $150 million for infrastructure improvements at a 600-acre site where a stadium has been proposed. That news dovetails with statements from a billionaire real estate developer, Ed Roski, who says he will build it (a new stadium) if they (the NFL) come.

The Vikings are not denying the possibility of a move, making a statement more for local Minnesota officials to read than to express a public interest in Los Angeles. As reported in the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, the team issued the following statement: “The Vikings are watching these developments with interest,” said Lester Bagley, the team’s vice president of public affairs and stadium development. “But we are currently focused on achieving a workable stadium plan to keep the Vikings here in Minnesota.” This means they are focused on staying in Minnesota until they get the deal they want. Then they are not.

I know from experience how the renovated Lambeau Field dramatically affected our revenue outlook, and how dismal the future looked if the referendum on public funding did not pass. We were sinking deeper down the revenue rankings each year, only to jump into the top 12 the first year after having our stadium renovated and the $20M of revenues it produced.

There are the haves and the have-nots in the NFL when it comes to revenues from stadiums. The haves are recent tenants of splashy new or renovated facilities, reaping the income from the revenue-producing opportunities that a new stadium delivers, teams like the Colts, Packers, Seahawks, Cardinals and Lions. And the Cowboys, Jets and Giants will soon be passing all of these teams on the revenue rankings when they walk into their new digs.

Then there are the have-nots, teams that look at the new revenues from a place like Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, where the Colts will receive $122M over 20 years for naming rights and for which all but $100M of its $719M cost was financed by taxpayers (it will host the 2012 Super Bowl as well). These teams, among them the Chargers, Saints, Bills, Jaguars, 49ers and, of course, the Vikings, can only hope.

Having watched public funding go to facilities for the Twins and the University of the Minnesota without receiving similar treatment, the Vikings may soon no longer be singing “Love the One You’re With.” They might be changing their tune to “I Love LA.”
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:46 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Vikings never landed in LA. The lack of historical knowledge boggles my mind.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a trap, Vikings will make it to LA just as Adrian Peterson burns out.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
The Vikings never landed in LA. The lack of historical knowledge boggles my mind.
Theres also no Lakes in LA. Or Trojans. And WTF is a Clipper?

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A clipper is a pair of scissors, La def has one of those.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
Theres also no Lakes in LA. Or Trojans. And WTF is a Clipper?
I'm sure there is a lot of sex going on in LA, so there is no doubt a lot of Trojans...

Also, does anyone have a link to this? I want to show my roommate who is from Minnesota to make him angry.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 PM    (permalink
woodyx02
Rookie

woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.woodyx02 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Im sure they would change the name and get rid of the purple even though if they keep it, it could create a fan base in West Hollywood.

As much as I dont like the Viking uni's it would work and match the Lakers and Kings.

Last edited by woodyx02 : 01-22-2009 at 02:08 PM.
woodyx02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd absolutely hate it unless they changed up the divisions too. Move the LA Vikes to the West and the Rams to the North.

We finally have divisional structures that make sense (no more Carolina and NO in the West while Arizona is in the East....) and that would just **** it all up. I'd be pissed if my Bears had to play a "divisional" game each year halfway across the country.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Packer fan, I'd be very against the Vikings moving to LA, and it has nothing to do with logistics. Our division is classic right now. The teams belong in Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit and Minnesota. All 4 teams are married to their respective cities and it should stay that way.

That said, really, the state obviously doesn't support them. The Twins had no trouble getting a new stadium.

And, I do know some obnoxious Viking fans that I'd like to see get taken down a peg. It'd be hillarious if Packer games were broadcast in the cities as the 'home team'
drowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** the vikings. bring the jags out here. thatd really tickle my pickle.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
As a Packer fan, I'd be very against the Vikings moving to LA, and it has nothing to do with logistics. Our division is classic right now. The teams belong in Chicago, Green Bay, Detroit and Minnesota. All 4 teams are married to their respective cities and it should stay that way.

That said, really, the state obviously doesn't support them. The Twins had no trouble getting a new stadium.

And, I do know some obnoxious Viking fans that I'd like to see get taken down a peg. It'd be hillarious if Packer games were broadcast in the cities as the 'home team'
It may appear that the Vikings don't get alot of support from the state, and to a certain extent, that is true, but right now they are asking/receiving for public funding for the Twins' new stadium and and the Gophers' new stadium as well. Take the economic times into consideration, and it's hard to expect public support for a new stadium that will cost around one billion dollars.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.drowe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
It may appear that the Vikings don't get alot of support from the state, and to a certain extent, that is true, but right now they are asking/receiving for public funding for the Twins' new stadium and and the Gophers' new stadium as well. Take the economic times into consideration, and it's hard to expect public support for a new stadium that will cost around one billion dollars.
yes, but the public had no problem funding the Twins and Gophers stadium. just seems obvious that the Vikings aren't a priority.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyx02 View Post
Im sure they would change the name and get rid of the purple even though if they keep it, it could create a fan base in West Hollywood.

As much as I dont like the Viking uni's it would work and match the Lakers and Kings.
Yah I don't think Los Angeles would have a problem supporting a purple and gold colored team. Pretty original west hollywood joke though.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

NFL stadiums are also much more expensive to build than baseball/college football ones.

That said, I live in Minneapolis and from my observations it seems like the Vikings are, at best, 3rd fiddle to the Wild and the Twins. There seem to be almost as many Packers fans as Vikings ones. It's just a historically poorly run organization that does very little to endear itself to the public, as evidenced by this move. I will personally vote down any measure that doesn't ensure the owners pay at the very least 40-50% of the stadium cost, which so far they haven't even come close to.

There are a lot of sports teams/things to do in the Twin Cities, I honestly don't think the Vikings would be that missed beyond the hardcore fan base.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Wilfs have stated they can provide $250M for their ~$1B stadium plan on the Metrodome site.

That's a pretty good number but they will probably have to up it to about $400M to get it passed through the legislature.

If the organization wasn't so poorly run, they'd have more fan support. However, every single time the Vikings appear to be for real they tend to choke.

I'd say it's about 60-40 with the Vikings leaving after the lease in the Metrodome is up with the 40 percent being the chance that the Wilfs and other private funds upping their $250M.

This state can't afford $750M for a new stadium.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I'd absolutely hate it unless they changed up the divisions too. Move the LA Vikes to the West and the Rams to the North.

We finally have divisional structures that make sense (no more Carolina and NO in the West while Arizona is in the East....) and that would just **** it all up. I'd be pissed if my Bears had to play a "divisional" game each year halfway across the country.
Dallas shouldn't be in the East either, but I want it to stay like that because as much as I hate them I love being able to play them twice a year.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 PM    (permalink
TheBuffaloBills
Veteran

TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheBuffaloBills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm sorry, but I do not want to see any teams move. Losing a franchise is like losing someone you love. You grow emotionally attached to them and everything. I will be honest, I dont know if I would follow football if the Bills moved.

Thank you XxXDragonXxX for the Avatar!
TheBuffaloBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuffaloBills View Post
I'm sorry, but I do not want to see any teams move. Losing a franchise is like losing someone you love. You grow emotionally attached to them and everything. I will be honest, I dont know if I would follow football if the Bills moved.
Get ready to not follow football.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp View Post
The Wilfs have stated they can provide $250M for their ~$1B stadium plan on the Metrodome site.
In this economy, hell in any economy, that's a ******* joke and an insult to people that work for a living. It's going to take a lot to turn public opinion around, and these comments are just ruining for them.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:02 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
**** the vikings.
Never have truer words been spoken.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
Dallas shouldn't be in the East either, but I want it to stay like that because as much as I hate them I love being able to play them twice a year.
Well yeah, division rivalries are another reason for not breaking them up too much, but if they're not still the Minnesota Vikings then they're not still our rival imo
Old 01-22-2009, 03:16 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the idea of giving LA yet another chance to prove they don't give a rat's ass about an NFL franchise. And why not the Vikings?? It should be classic - the Vikings leave Minnesota because they feel underappreciated . . . only to land in LA where they're sure to realize the true meaning of apathy.

/sarcasm

Public funding for the playgrounds of multimilloinaires disgusts me. There's a great qoute in a Simpsons episode but I can't recall it off-hand. Burns wins the Celtics in a poker match . . . funny stuff. I'm off to find said qoute now. brb

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
And WTF is a Clipper?
A boat.

I was looking for biggest markets with out NFL teams and found this:

1) Los Angeles
Bottom line: The Los Angeles market has two teams in every other sport, but lost its NFL teams when the Rams and Raiders skulked away in 1995. L.A. has enough surplus income to support seven NFL teams, according to a 2006 Bizjournals.com study, so one team should have no trouble. The biggest barrier is finding a site for a new stadium -- and someone to foot the bill.

2) Toronto
Bottom line: Twelve U.S. markets have big-league teams in all four sports. Toronto is just an NFL franchise away from becoming the 13th, and the Bills are on its radar. The area is heavily populated and affluent, to be sure, but there are doubts about the suitability of the former SkyDome, now called Rogers Centre. And what would happen to the Canadian Football League Argonauts?

3) Montreal
Bottom line: The first instinct is to chuckle. Montreal lost baseball's Expos to Washington a couple of years ago. Why would the NFL be interested? Because, for one thing, Montreal is North America's 16th-largest metro. And, for another, it's a good football town. The Alouettes of the Canadian Football League routinely sell out their home games, drawing 44,000 fans to their 2007 finale.

4) Vancouver
Bottom line: The NBA took a gamble in 1995, establishing a new pro-basketball team in Vancouver. But the Grizzlies lasted just six seasons before moving to Memphis in 2001. That episode might gave the NFL pause, as would the closeness of Seattle, home of the Seahawks. The two cities are only 140 miles apart. And there's also the matter of the Lions of the Canadian Football League.

5) Portland
Bottom line: Portland has a couple of options. Hockey? Baseball? Either might work. But the NFL seems the best alternative. It wouldn't conflict with the Blazers' season, as hockey would. And it wouldn't be as costly to support as Major League Baseball would be.

6) Sacramento
Bottom line: Sacramento vigorously pursued disaffected pro-football franchises in the early 1990s, yet came up empty. Its chances of joining the NFL slipped drastically in 1995 when Oakland (just 80 miles to the southwest) lured the Raiders back from Los Angeles.

7) Orlando
Bottom line: Orlando is a magnet for tourists, which also makes it attractive to the NFL. The problem is that Florida -- with franchises in Jacksonville, Miami and Tampa Bay -- might already be saturated with pro football. The league would be unlikely to shoehorn another team into Florida.

8) San Antonio
Bottom line: The good news is that San Antonio already has a facility suitable for the NFL -- the 15-year-old, 65,000-seat Alamodome -- as well as a decent population base and a lack of professional sports competition. The bad news is that income levels in San Antonio are uncommonly low, running 12 percent under the U.S. average.

9) San Jose
Bottom line: The federal government considers San Jose to be a separate metro area, even though San Francisco and Oakland are both less than 50 miles away. The NFL is more likely to view the region as a single market, especially since the 49ers and Raiders are already established there.

10) Las Vegas
Bottom line: Las Vegas is America's fastest-growing market, and it's climbing the charts rapidly. Its metro population is expected to reach 2 million by 2010. So why doesn't it have a big-league team of its own? The answer is that sports leagues are leery of any city dominated by the gaming industry.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
drowe
Mr. Underrated
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
A boat.

Bottom line: Twelve U.S. markets have big-league teams in all four sports.
i played a game with myself. i won

1-NY
2-Chicago
3-Miami
4-Atlanta
5-Boston
6-DC
7-Phoenix
8-Denver
9-Philly
10-Twin Cities
11-Detroit
12-Dallas
Old 01-22-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Portland would actually be better for baseball. It's a large metro area but the rest of the state is basically barren. Football requires people to travel from a very large area because it's simply more dificult to fill 70,000 people on any given day, even if baseball meets much more frequently. A baseball team that can draw an average of 25k is doing pretty good, which is probably doable in an insulated area like Portland.

Plus it's a very ecclectic and liberal city, that usually is not the best formula for an NFL team (San Francisco aside). This is one reason why L.A. has never held that well, that and hispanics don't give a **** about football. Portland also has a relatively low # of African-Americans, who traditionally don't care about baseball. That's why it took so long for D.C. to get a baseball team, it's a very black city.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 01-22-2009 at 04:08 PM.