Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Mock

1. Macho Harris VT CB/FS
2. Ron Brace BC DT
3. Herman Johnson G LSU
4. Brandon Tate WR UNC
5. Kyle Moore DE USC
6. Chase Patton QB MO
7. Brian Hartline WR OSU
Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM    (permalink
AgentM
Rookie

AgentM hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I love seeing Macho Harris in mock drafts for the Steelers :D

And Herman Johnson is a monster and should be a big help in short yardage situations which is obvioulsy our offense's biggest problem right now.

There was an interesting article about Patton in ESPN magazine a month or two ago and it sounds like he has all of the physical tools to be a good NFL quarterback, but I don't see why we need to draft one this year with unless the thought is that Batch and Leftwich will walk in free agency. And if that were the case I'd hope that we would bring in a veteran.
AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Palmer26
Rookie

Palmer26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Assuming (and hoping) we retain Starks and McFadden

1. DE Jarron Gilbert - San Jose St - 6'5 285
2. OG Kraig Urbik - Wisconsin - 6'6 325
3. FS David Bruton - Notre Dame - 6'2 215
4. CB Mike Mickens - Cincinnati - 5'11 175
5. OG Andy Kemp - Wisconsin - 6'5 315
6. LB Jasper Brinkley - South Carolina - 6'2 270
7. WR Patrick Turner - USC - 6'5 220

What I am feeling today. I wouldn't mind Mack in the 1st, but if you don't really know Jarron Gilbert yet, you will. A tremendous 3-4 DE prospect. I love Keisel, but Gilbert's blend of size and athleticism boarders on freakish.

Urbik is a very solid Guard, who will find a home, probably at RG. A bigtime mauler in the run game and who looked really good in pass protection at the Senior Bowl. Plug him in for the next 6-8 years.

A 3rd round pick is a little high for an immediate FS backup, but his talents are too good to give up. He would be an immediate impact on ST as a gunner. Like Clark, Bruton loves to hit, but he brings an added dimension as a ballhawking centerfielder. Anthony Smith's days are done, let's give it to Bruton as the future starter at FS.

Mickens will continue to drop down draft boards due to injury and what I presume will be a slow 40 yard dash time. I don't really care though. Plug him into Lebeau's scheme, and Mickens could be great. He's good at run support and should fit in fine, should he drop this low.

Despite drafting Urbik, I'll go to the Wisconsin well again for another interior linemen. Kemp, while overshawdowed by Urbik, is a great OG in his own right. He is more athletic and is capable of playing LG in the NFL. I think Kemoeatu will be gone, maybe Essex too, so we need to stock up on OG talent. You could probably look at taking an OT here too, but Im not sure I see anyone I like.

It looks like Larry Foote could be a cap casualty, allowing Timmons to start full time. We will need to replace depth at the backup position, and I really like Brinkley alot if he managed to fall t his far, although Im not sure he will. At 270, we would be bringing size back to the middle of the field like we use to do with Levon Kirkland. Brinkley was an amazing prospect until injuries caught up with him.

Im not sure if Turner will last this far or not. He has great size, but he was fairly unproductive and will run a very slow 40 time. I still like him, strictly as a posession type receiver though.

I know there are other picks we will get (comp picks, Mahan pick), with these I'd look at getting an OT or possibly a big body to backup Hampton and Hoke in the middle of the D.
Palmer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Loggerhead hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Gilbert is not a 1st round pick. The only 3-4 end I would take in the 1st right now is Tyson Jackson. I don't think Mickens is available in the 4th. If we resign B-Mac we don't won't need another Corner. We will have Ike, ***, B-Mac, Townshend which makes for a solid secondary. I wouldn't draft Turner because we already have 2 tall unproven wideouts in Baker, and Sweed. Plus Turner grossly underachieved at USC.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggerhead View Post
Gilbert is not a 1st round pick. The only 3-4 end I would take in the 1st right now is Tyson Jackson. I don't think Mickens is available in the 4th. If we resign B-Mac we don't won't need another Corner. We will have Ike, ***, B-Mac, Townshend which makes for a solid secondary. I wouldn't draft Turner because we already have 2 tall unproven wideouts in Baker, and Sweed. Plus Turner grossly underachieved at USC.
I agree that Gilbert is not a first round pick. But your mock is just as bad. Taking Victor Harris over the likes of Mack/Unger, Robinson, Jackson, Beatty/Britton, who are all not only more of a need, but also BPA over Harris. He's not even the best at his own position of the Corners who may be available at #32.
Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

*Shakes Head*

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Palmer26
Rookie

Palmer26 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Watch the tape on Gilbert. I can say that right now, with conviction, Gilbert is a first round talent. This will only be confirmed once he rips up the Combine. You can get on the wagon now while its fresh, or wait, and then be relegated to the bandwagon.
Palmer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:03 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer26 View Post
Assuming (and hoping) we retain Starks and McFadden

1. DE Jarron Gilbert - San Jose St - 6'5 285
2. OG Kraig Urbik - Wisconsin - 6'6 325
3. FS David Bruton - Notre Dame - 6'2 215
4. CB Mike Mickens - Cincinnati - 5'11 175
5. OG Andy Kemp - Wisconsin - 6'5 315
6. LB Jasper Brinkley - South Carolina - 6'2 270
7. WR Patrick Turner - USC - 6'5 220

What I am feeling today. I wouldn't mind Mack in the 1st, but if you don't really know Jarron Gilbert yet, you will. A tremendous 3-4 DE prospect. I love Keisel, but Gilbert's blend of size and athleticism boarders on freakish.

Urbik is a very solid Guard, who will find a home, probably at RG. A bigtime mauler in the run game and who looked really good in pass protection at the Senior Bowl. Plug him in for the next 6-8 years.

A 3rd round pick is a little high for an immediate FS backup, but his talents are too good to give up. He would be an immediate impact on ST as a gunner. Like Clark, Bruton loves to hit, but he brings an added dimension as a ballhawking centerfielder. Anthony Smith's days are done, let's give it to Bruton as the future starter at FS.

Mickens will continue to drop down draft boards due to injury and what I presume will be a slow 40 yard dash time. I don't really care though. Plug him into Lebeau's scheme, and Mickens could be great. He's good at run support and should fit in fine, should he drop this low.

Despite drafting Urbik, I'll go to the Wisconsin well again for another interior linemen. Kemp, while overshawdowed by Urbik, is a great OG in his own right. He is more athletic and is capable of playing LG in the NFL. I think Kemoeatu will be gone, maybe Essex too, so we need to stock up on OG talent. You could probably look at taking an OT here too, but Im not sure I see anyone I like.

It looks like Larry Foote could be a cap casualty, allowing Timmons to start full time. We will need to replace depth at the backup position, and I really like Brinkley alot if he managed to fall t his far, although Im not sure he will. At 270, we would be bringing size back to the middle of the field like we use to do with Levon Kirkland. Brinkley was an amazing prospect until injuries caught up with him.

Im not sure if Turner will last this far or not. He has great size, but he was fairly unproductive and will run a very slow 40 time. I still like him, strictly as a posession type receiver though.

I know there are other picks we will get (comp picks, Mahan pick), with these I'd look at getting an OT or possibly a big body to backup Hampton and Hoke in the middle of the D.
I like it. I totally agree with you on Gilbert and have been saying the same thing. I'm a little less certain just because I don't know a ton about him, but I've been saying he looks like that type of guy that could really skyrocket.

DE and OG first two rounds is excellent. A FS early isn't talked about much but might be smart. Between having so many key free agents next year, Ryan Clark making a name for himself thus earning more money, and being older than he seems, he's far from a lock to resign with us next year. A guy like Bruton to compete with Mundy would be a good idea. The rest of the picks have solid premises and I especially like the Brinkley idea in the 6th.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 07:59 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer26 View Post
Watch the tape on Gilbert. I can say that right now, with conviction, Gilbert is a first round talent. This will only be confirmed once he rips up the Combine. You can get on the wagon now while its fresh, or wait, and then be relegated to the bandwagon.
Gilbert is better than Tyson Jackson and Fili Moala that people insist on letting in the first round talk when they should be 2c-3a.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:20 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

SteelCzar76 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Barring a trade up for Rey, Harvin or Gilbert,(No way any of whom will be on the board at 32),....this is where i'm at right now considering that we are basically selecting from the best of the following round,....

1 Victor harris CB/KR Va Tech

2 Rashard Jennings RB Liberty

3 Kevin Ellison S USC

4 Zach Potter DE Nebraska

5 Seth Olsen OG Iowa

6 Ryan Shuman C Va Tech

7 Chris Pressely FB Wisconsin

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT

Stop giving the Steelers Unger or Mack in the 1st round !
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Loggerhead
Rookie

After seeing Shuman stink it up at the Senior Bowl I doubt he gets drafted. I like Jennings but we don't need another HB because we are already 4 deep there. If we go FB I want Johnson from LSU.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:54 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
After seeing Shuman stink it up at the Senior Bowl I doubt he gets drafted. I like Jennings but we don't need another HB because we are already 4 deep there. If we go FB I want Johnson from LSU.
After Willie and Rashard "Mendy" lol,..( the latter of which i'm obviously not truly that sold upon),....every single back we have are average role players at best. We need real/actual competition at the position,.. in terms of the identity of our ground game. Especially in light of what i consider Tomlin's (much like that for Peezy) disdain for Willie.

Which brings me also to the talk of FB,....in truth it doesn't matter if we stick with Carey "i can't run block/ special teams Davis",..or not at this point,..if we continue to fail to properly utilize the FB in our current system ?

As far as Shuman,...from what i've "run",...physically he has the tools,...it's his "will" and or confidence that is lacking. Given the proper coaching and or motivation,..the kid is quite possibly a Steeler,...through and through.

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT

Last edited by SteelCzar76 : 02-17-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:11 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
After Willie and Rashard "Mendy" lol,..( the latter of which i'm obviously not truly that sold upon),....every single back we have are average role players at best. We need real/actual competition at the position,.. in terms of the identity of our ground game. Especially in light of what i consider Tomlin's (much like that for Peezy) disdain for Willie.

Which brings me also to the talk of FB,....in truth it doesn't matter if we stick with Carey "i can't run block/ special teams Davis",..or not at this point,..if we continue to fail to properly utilize the FB in our current system ?

As far as Shuman,...from what i've "run",...physically he has the tools,...it's his "will" and or confidence that is lacking. Given the proper coaching and or motivation,..the kid is quite possibly a Steeler,...through and through.
It's funny how we differ on philosophy. I'd prefer decent RB's behind a powerful o-line and you seem to want stud rb's behind a subpar o-line. Just interesting. I think Mendenhall will be solid, but I really don't think Willie P will be here much longer. I see him as a prime candidate to let go in '10. I also think we'll be fine with Mendenhall, Russell, and Moore and think we have way too many other needs to take another RB early.

It'd be nice to upgrade FB. You're right, it might not be the exact throwback so many people would like, but even a versatile type, we could use an upgrade over Davis. I'd like someone that could also motion into the 3rd TE, so we'd keep Davis for special teams and cut the McHugh role
Old 02-17-2009, 09:53 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
It's funny how we differ on philosophy. I'd prefer decent RB's behind a powerful o-line and you seem to want stud rb's behind a subpar o-line. Just interesting. I think Mendenhall will be solid, but I really don't think Willie P will be here much longer. I see him as a prime candidate to let go in '10. I also think we'll be fine with Mendenhall, Russell, and Moore and think we have way too many other needs to take another RB early.

It'd be nice to upgrade FB. You're right, it might not be the exact throwback so many people would like, but even a versatile type, we could use an upgrade over Davis. I'd like someone that could also motion into the 3rd TE, so we'd keep Davis for special teams and cut the McHugh role
I am by no means a proponent of of a sub Par O-line Thav,...i just do not believe that we are as in as dire need of help there as many do, in terms of making excuses for Roethlisberger (because they want him to be Marino) and or the poor selection of other skill position players such as Nate Washington, Dallas, Memo, Dookie or Russell.

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Alright, after “crunching some more numbers" in terms of player/ Organization compatibility,.(Factoring in need and our position by round),…here’s my “revised” mock,….

1 Victor Harris CB/KR Va Tech

3 Kevin Ellison S USC

4 Cornelius Lewis OT Tenn State

5 Zach Potter DE Nebraska

6 Seth Olsen OG Iowa

7 Dominique Edison WR SFA

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT

Last edited by SteelCzar76 : 02-18-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
I am by no means a proponent of of a sub Par O-line Thav,...i just do not believe that we are as in as dire need of help there as many do, in terms of making excuses for Roethlisberger (because they want him to be Marino) and or the poor selection of other skill position players such as Nate Washington, Dallas, Memo, Dookie or Russell.
Ha, well we certainly differ on the o-line. Although while I understand your point about the o-line being tougher to judge with Ben, I'm still not sure how you can consider it above average...even if you think average, then I'm not sure why you'd only want depth and no studs to make it above average...but I digress, we don't need to discuss that any further. And I guess part of my point is you'd like to build up the skill positions but I'd like to build up the o-line.

Last edited by THav916 : 02-18-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:01 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Alright, after “crunching some more numbers" in terms of player/ Organization compatibility,.(Factoring inneed and our position by round),…here’s my “revised” mock,….

1 Victor harris CB/KR Va Tech

3 Kevin Ellison S USC

4 Cornelius Lewis OT Tenn State

5 Zach Potter DE Nebraska

6 Seth Olsen OG Iowa

7 Dominique Edison WR SFA
I'll go with
1. Alex Mack C Cal

2. Fenuki Tupou OT Oregon

3. David Bruton FS Notre Dame

4. Brandon Tate WR UNC

5. Zach Potter DE Nebraska

6. Sammie Lee Hill NT Stillman

7. Jasper Brinkley ILB South Carolina
Old 02-25-2009, 08:43 AM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Okay,...we just might have a shot of Rey dropping just far enough to trade up for him. And with that said,...here's my final "wishlist" so to speak.

Rey Maualuga ILB USC

Victor "Macho" Harris CB/KR Va Tech

Cornelius Lewis OT Tenn State

Zach Potter DE Nebraska

Seth Olsen OG Iowa

Dominique Edison WR SFA

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 AM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.Pitt could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Okay,...we just might have a shot of Rey dropping just far enough to trade up for him. And with that said,...here's my final "wishlist" so to speak.

Rey Maualuga ILB USC

Victor "Macho" Harris CB/KR Va Tech

Cornelius Lewis OT Tenn State

Zach Potter DE Nebraska

Seth Olsen OG Iowa

Dominique Edison WR SFA
Why not just change your signature to "I enjoy watching Ben being the most sacked Quarterback in the NFL since 2004"...?

Cornelius Lewis is a Guard by the way.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:38 AM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt View Post
Why not just change your signature to "I enjoy watching Ben being the most sacked Quarterback in the NFL since 2004"...?

Roethlisberger is personally responsible for at least half of the sacks that he takes,..because of how he plays the position. And as far as the line's shortcomings,...i consider as much more of a matter of lack of continuity, and loss of Russ Grimm than i do lack of ability.

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT

Old 02-25-2009, 10:41 AM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt View Post

He played Tackle at Tennessee State.

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT

Old 02-25-2009, 10:44 AM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't really like the idea of taking Macho in the first. I think if we get him we move up a few spots in the second to get him. I personally like Gilbert in the first. Jamon Meredith would be a good first round choice as well.

BoneKrusher

360 GT: iiidiiiot
Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)

Last edited by Santonio10 : 02-25-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Santonio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

Quote:
Seeing him on two straight mocks of yours I was going to ask you what you liked about him. I also noticed at 6'3 1/2 332 he seemed much more built like a guard. Might be nothing like him but reminds me too much of Colon on paper.

Unger and Mack are my two top choices for the Steelers at 32
Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Pitt
Veteran

Quote:
Will he be playing at Tennesses State in the NFL? He's projected as a Guard on many sites. Not saying that's a problem, I'd still take a look at him. Looks like a player.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:15 AM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
Seeing him on two straight mocks of yours I was going to ask you what you liked about him. I also noticed at 6'3 1/2 332 he seemed much more built like a guard. Might be nothing like him but reminds me too much of Colon on paper.

Unger and Mack are my two top choices for the Steelers at 32
On paper he (Lewis) may look like a Guard,....but he's exceptional as a pass protector at the tackle spot. I think that what could possibly be used to justify moving him inside would probably be the "level of competition" he played against in college ?

I like Mack as well,..just not in the first if we are in position to move up and snag Maualuga, Harvin or get a thoroughbred D-lineman. As far as Unger,...i think he's one of those 'jack of all trades, master of none" guys and i'm not enamored with him in any round before the third. (Though of course he will be drafted before then)

Rey Maualuga ILB USC
Victor "Macho" Harris CB
A.Q Shipley C
Johnny Knox WR
Zach Potter DE
Sammie Lee Hill NT