Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Larry Foote wants to end career in Detroit

http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...nts_to_fi.html

I think this would be very interesting. He'd help a lot. And he'd do that stomp celebration anytime he did anything good. So he's got that going for him. The weird thing though...

Quote:
Umm, if the Lions can address their need for a big defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, anyone? then take, say, Aaron Curry with the top pick and a corner with the No. 20 pick. I'd say you just made your defense waaaaay better. Of course it's all speculation and conjecture, but that's all we can really do right now.
Imagine if we turned our D around that way. That'd be ridiculous.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:52 PM    (permalink
ESPforMe
Rookie

ESPforMe hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If he comes to Detroit it WILL end his career.

Sorry, had to say it. I like Foote though.
ESPforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:52 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's still got about 4 more years until he decides to call it a career and get his last big payday from us.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:29 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
http://blog.mlive.com/highlightreel/...nts_to_fi.html

I think this would be very interesting. He'd help a lot. And he'd do that stomp celebration anytime he did anything good. So he's got that going for him. The weird thing though...

Imagine if we turned our D around that way. That'd be ridiculous.
By ridiculous you mean good right?
If (if) that played out it would be 4 new starters in key areas.

ooooohhh daddy likey ....
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:12 AM    (permalink
sweetd20
Veteran

sweetd20 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Foote is a very good player and knows how to play championship football but he is more of a cog in the wheel than a centerpiece of a defense. I'm not sure if he came to Detroit and was asked to be the playmaking MLB he would have the same success that he's had in Pittsburgh. He might and that would be great but I have my concerns unless he was willing to give them a home team discount in the form of an incentive laden contract. He would be a definate improvement over Dizon and Lenon but I wouldn't want them to overpay for his services.
sweetd20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

great for the community, team leader, champion, and fills a need. sign him up now.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:20 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
By ridiculous you mean good right?
If (if) that played out it would be 4 new starters in key areas.

ooooohhh daddy likey ....
Of course I mean good!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 01-31-2009, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God knows we need linebackers more than just about any other position. We could stand to keep Sims only and sign or draft 4 or 5 new ones.

Get Foote and draft one at #20 or #33, draft another one lower down in the draft, and one more FA backup. Then we can finally get rid of Lenon and Alex Lewis, thank God.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Unfortunately while Foote is a decent 3-4 LBer, he isn't suited to be a 4-3 LBer and we are going to be playing some 4-3 scheme not a 3-4. One of the main differences between a 4-3 LB and a 3-4 LB is speed. In a 3-4 you have 4 LB's who cover the same area as 4-3 LB's have to cover but because there are 4 of them in a 3-4, they can be much slower players since they cover less space by themselves. Not all of them are slower but I believe Foote is a slower LB and therefore limited to a 3-4 defense.
There I see no purpose in signing him.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM    (permalink
TheDoctor8
Rookie

TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TheDoctor8 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Unfortunately while Foote is a decent 3-4 LBer, he isn't suited to be a 4-3 LBer and we are going to be playing some 4-3 scheme not a 3-4. One of the main differences between a 4-3 LB and a 3-4 LB is speed. In a 3-4 you have 4 LB's who cover the same area as 4-3 LB's have to cover but because there are 4 of them in a 3-4, they can be much slower players since they cover less space by themselves. Not all of them are slower but I believe Foote is a slower LB and therefore limited to a 3-4 defense.
There I see no purpose in signing him.
I would have to disagree with this definition of the 3-4. Most of the time the DC will bring 5 guys and almost never less than 4. So if you are talking about have to cover zones in pass coverage on a zone blitz than you are wrong.
As for Foote I think it would be awesome to get a guy like that to have an example for the young players on how to work. People weren't expecting big things from him when he was coming out of Michigan.
TheDoctor8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:51 PM    (permalink
ShoeLB50
Rookie

ShoeLB50 needs more cowbell.

Foote also played in the 4-3 at Michigan so to write him off premature wouldnt be smart. Plus the numbers of linebackers doesnt really matter in the 3-4, usually they are bringing 4 guys either way, you just dont necessarilly know from where. Still need to be able to cover.

"God only put one pair of feet like that on a human being."
- Fritz Shurmur, Defensive Coordinator, Green Bay Packers
ShoeLB50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Lions2342
Rookie

Lions2342 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Larry Foote would definitely be an upgrade to what we have at linebacker. To be honest, not many people want to actually come to Detroit right now as a Free Agent. If he actually wants to play for the Lions, I think it would be silly of us to not sign him.
Lions2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not a free agent. Give the steelers a pick and he's all yours.

Hell I'd love to put him in a package and switch first rounders.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post

Hell I'd love to put him in a package and switch first rounders
of course....
Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He'd be just fine in the Lions 4-3...he might be better off playing the strongside, but he is stout at the p.o.a, he can blitz, and he is pretty good in zone coverage. One of the main things he would bring to the table is vocal leadership, the guy never shuts up about detroit! I like him in pittsburgh, but with Lawrence Timmons waiting behind him, i would be happy for him to move to somewhere like detroit.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Yeah but word is that the Steelers would like him to take a pay cut to stay on. With Timmons just waiting to take his spot, all Foote really has to do is say "no" and chances are he'll be out the door anyway. No way the Lions need to give up a pick.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 PM    (permalink
El Peefs?????
Pro Bowler

El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.El Peefs????? is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pittsburgh to cut him then bring him on home! I don't think its possible to downgrade from Paris Lenon.
El Peefs????? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:55 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Why did you even waste the time to make this part of the post?

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 PM    (permalink
Lions2342
Rookie

Lions2342 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
He'd be just fine in the Lions 4-3...he might be better off playing the strongside, but he is stout at the p.o.a, he can blitz, and he is pretty good in zone coverage. One of the main things he would bring to the table is vocal leadership, the guy never shuts up about detroit! I like him in pittsburgh, but with Lawrence Timmons waiting behind him, i would be happy for him to move to somewhere like detroit.
I think that this is something that the Lions definitely need. Not only is he a good player, but a leader that can help motivate our defense. I think he would be the perfect guy to come in, play well and give this defense the leadership it needs.
Lions2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He couldn't play the SLB side, he doesn't have anywhere near the speed to play on the outside in a 4-3 defense. He'd have to play the middle but even there he would be a liability because of his lack of speed. He plays inside in Pittsburgh but in their defense he isn't asked to do much more than cover half the area a 4-3 MLB has to cover.
No doubt he would add some leadership coming from a SB team but little else.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a pretty solid linebacker, but nothing flashy. Also, I think part of why he was such a consistent player in Pittsburgh was from having James Farrior play beside him. Farrior is one of the best inside linebackers in the league, and having someone like that helps you in many ways, such as quickly fixing your mistakes or giving you peace of mind (knowing you don't have to worry about the other guy screwing up his job) to focus on your task. I doubt that if Foote played alongside someone not as dependable he'd have the same consistency. With Farrior having the middle locked up, Foote seemingly played to compliment him. Not taking anything away from him, but it's kinda noticeable that the heavy MLB tasks were given to Farrior.

That's why Timmons appears to be a better option now. He's bigger, faster, and stronger, and has incredible explosiveness as a pass-rusher. He's a better fit as Farrior's inside buddy, and can cover his area with much more speed. He also provides the ability to cover TE and #3 WR (ala Chris Henry). In the SuperBowl he chased down Edge a couple of times and got very close to Warner in a very small amount of time. So having a guy with more physical abilities would seem to be a better compliment to Farrior.

Foote is a good overall linebacker. Yes, he'll upgrade your LB core, but don't expect him to become some kind of elite MLB.

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 02-03-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

We'll take any upgrade we can get that doesn't cost us a high draft pick.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 AM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe Detroit will look at signing Jonathon Vilma as an UFA to play the middle?
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:58 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by noondog View Post
Maybe Detroit will look at signing Jonathon Vilma as an UFA to play the middle?
We did want him last year.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
We did want him last year.
Yeah, but Vilma did not want us ... clearly.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote