Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Favorite Draft Prospects

Who are your favorite draft prospects for the Steelers according to round? Think realistically, picking last in every round, and also think of a player's availability.

Here's my list for our first five picks:

Round 1

1. Victor Harris - CB/FS - Virginia Tech
2. Percy Harvin - WR - Florida
3. Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU
4. Hakeem Nicks - WR - North Carolina
5. Larry English - DE/OLB - Northern Illinois

Round 2
1. Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma
2. Eric Wood - C/OG - Louisville
3. Ron Brace - NT - Boston College
4. Andy Levitre - OG - Oregon
5. Evander Hood - DT/DE - Missouri

Round 3 (two picks in a span of no more than four picks)
1. Tyronne Green - OG - Auburn
2. Lawrence Sidbury, Jr. - DE/OLB - Richmond
3. Antoine Caldwell - C - Alabama
4. Jasper Brinkley - ILB - South Carolina
5. Fenuki Tupou - OT - Oregon

Round 4

1. Kyle Moore - DE - USC
2. Ramses Barden - WR - Cal Poly
3. Quinn Johnson - FB - LSU
4. Jason Watkins - OT - Florida
5. Herman Johnson - OG - LSU

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 AM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Who are your favorite draft prospects for the Steelers according to round? Think realistically, picking last in every round, and also think of a player's availability.

Here's my list for our first five picks:

Round 1

1. Victor Harris - CB/FS - Virginia Tech
2. Percy Harvin - WR - Florida
3. Tyson Jackson - DE - LSU
4. Hakeem Nicks - WR - North Carolina
5. Larry English - DE/OLB - Northern Illinois

Round 2
1. Duke Robinson - OG - Oklahoma
2. Eric Wood - C/OG - Louisville
3. Ron Brace - NT - Boston College
4. Andy Levitre - OG - Oregon
5. Evander Hood - DT/DE - Missouri

Round 3 (two picks in a span of no more than four picks)
1. Tyronne Green - OG - Auburn
2. Lawrence Sidbury, Jr. - DE/OLB - Richmond
3. Antoine Caldwell - C - Alabama
4. Jasper Brinkley - ILB - South Carolina
5. Fenuki Tupou - OT - Oregon

Round 4

1. Kyle Moore - DE - USC
2. Ramses Barden - WR - Cal Poly
3. Quinn Johnson - FB - LSU
4. Jason Watkins - OT - Florida
5. Herman Johnson - OG - LSU
Good list I'm hoping we can snag Harvin

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure that either Harvin or Jackson will still be there at the end of the 1st. Harvin is getting a lot of hype for his speed and return abilities and with the packers switching to a 3-4 that's just one more team ahead of us looking for that type of DE.

Last edited by CDub : 02-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:24 PM    (permalink
AgentM
Rookie

AgentM hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

No O-lineman grade out as a first for you? If that's the case I'm guessing we trade up or down to draft one after ignoring it last year. That said it's a quality list and I'd love to see Harris in a Steelers uni next year.

As for Harvin his speed and moves with the ball is sick but he's still a Gator WR and that scares me LOL
AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
No O-lineman grade out as a first for you? If that's the case I'm guessing we trade up or down to draft one after ignoring it last year.
I'd love to trade up or down, and judging by how many picks we have this year (at least 9), I'd say it's more likely we trade up.

However, if we stay put, I simply don't see a guy that would be both a need and value pick (on the O-line). The top four tackles will be gone (Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, Jason Smith) and I don't see either William Beatty or Eben Britton as great fits for our offense. And since we have more trouble with our guards than with our tackles, then I say we address the inside of the O-line first. The only tackle that I might consider taking would be Phil Loadholt and have him switch Colon to the inside.

Taking a guard would be too much of a reach, as would be Alex Mack. Therefore, we take a CB, which we'll desperately need if McFadden leaves, or a WR to further improve our offense. Then we get one or two O-line guys in the next three picks. If we go Harris, Wood, Sidbury, and Green, we cover most needs with good players. We replace both guards, get a quality CB that's a perfect fit for our scheme, and an OLB that gives us depth and allows Timmons to become the starter.

Then we only need DE depth, WR depth, and a MLB, and we've got five picks to find them.

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 02-04-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

any chance we could get Harris, Wood, and Brace in this draft?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Trading down from our first, yes, going Harris, Wood, Brace.

Otherwise...it might be hard.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:06 AM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
I'd love to trade up or down, and judging by how many picks we have this year (at least 9), I'd say it's more likely we trade up.

However, if we stay put, I simply don't see a guy that would be both a need and value pick (on the O-line). The top four tackles will be gone (Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, Jason Smith) and I don't see either William Beatty or Eben Britton as great fits for our offense. And since we have more trouble with our guards than with our tackles, then I say we address the inside of the O-line first. The only tackle that I might consider taking would be Phil Loadholt and have him switch Colon to the inside.

Taking a guard would be too much of a reach, as would be Alex Mack. Therefore, we take a CB, which we'll desperately need if McFadden leaves, or a WR to further improve our offense. Then we get one or two O-line guys in the next three picks. If we go Harris, Wood, Sidbury, and Green, we cover most needs with good players. We replace both guards, get a quality CB that's a perfect fit for our scheme, and an OLB that gives us depth and allows Timmons to become the starter.

Then we only need DE depth, WR depth, and a MLB, and we've got five picks to find them.
Looks like I'm gonna have a lot of disagreements on here about Alex Mack being a great first round pick.

I especially don't understand how anyone can say something would be too much of a reach, as if you have any idea how the Steelers are ranking players. It actually reminds me of last year when I thought Sam Baker would be a solid first round choice...people complained it'd be too much of a reach...and then he was off the board long before we even selected. My point is you never know what's going to happen. I suppose I can live with people having their personal thoughts on who they like and don't like. But I like Alex Mack first round.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 AM    (permalink
AgentM
Rookie

AgentM hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THav916 View Post
Looks like I'm gonna have a lot of disagreements on here about Alex Mack being a great first round pick.

I especially don't understand how anyone can say something would be too much of a reach, as if you have any idea how the Steelers are ranking players. It actually reminds me of last year when I thought Sam Baker would be a solid first round choice...people complained it'd be too much of a reach...and then he was off the board long before we even selected. My point is you never know what's going to happen. I suppose I can live with people having their personal thoughts on who they like and don't like. But I like Alex Mack first round.
You also don't know how much the rankings of all of these players will change after the combine. Or how other teams rate these players relative to how the Steelers rate them. But I guess trying to figure all of this out is part of the fun of mock drafts!

One of my favorite things about mock drafts (and the comments from others on them) is how much they change from December through April. What is ridiculed one day is praised a few weeks later. After the combine some of the guys that are currently thought of as 1st rounders will drop into the 2nd or worse and vice versa.

And I'm not saying that anyone here is jumping to conclusions or misevaluating anyone, its just how this works. I'm very appreciative of everyone here for putting their evaluations of players on here as it helps me round out opinions for myself :)
AgentM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 AM    (permalink
lance uppercut
Rookie

lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.lance uppercut is a cocksman.

just a few names I could see for us:

Round 1:
Eben Britton OT
Alex Mack OC

Round 2 early (via trade-down or trade-up):
William Beatty OT (like him more than most)
Ziggy Hood DE

Round 2:
Ron Brace NT
Jamon Meredith OT/OG
Troy Kropog OT

Round 3:
Antoine Caldwell OC
Jarron Gilbert DE
Trevor Canfield OG
Tyronne Greene OG
Kyle Moore DE
Alex Magee DE

Round 4:
Chris Baker DE
Gerald Cadogan OT
lance uppercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Round 1: (No paticular order)

Percy Harvin
Phil Loadholt
Sean Smith
Hakeem Nicks
Larry English
DJ Moore
Alphonso Smith

Round 2:

Jarron Gilbert
Jonathon Luigs
Victor Harris
Ron Brace
Fili Moala

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:46 PM    (permalink
captainjack27
Veteran

captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.captainjack27 could make a wolverine purr.

Loadholt in the first for me...Harvin would be nice I guess...but I think we need a tackle so Colon can be effective again at the RG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
LaMarr Woodley, Norse God of Thunder/Baby Jesus/Killer of all things QB, set an NFL record by getting multiple sacks in three consecutive playoff games. Don't **** with LaMarr.
Pittsburgh Steelers....6 Time Champs!
captainjack27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM    (permalink
THav916
Veteran

THav916 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
You also don't know how much the rankings of all of these players will change after the combine. Or how other teams rate these players relative to how the Steelers rate them. But I guess trying to figure all of this out is part of the fun of mock drafts!

One of my favorite things about mock drafts (and the comments from others on them) is how much they change from December through April. What is ridiculed one day is praised a few weeks later. After the combine some of the guys that are currently thought of as 1st rounders will drop into the 2nd or worse and vice versa.

And I'm not saying that anyone here is jumping to conclusions or misevaluating anyone, its just how this works. I'm very appreciative of everyone here for putting their evaluations of players on here as it helps me round out opinions for myself :)
Not only how much different the mock drafts are from December to April but how different the actual draft is from people's mock drafts even right before the draft. No one ever knows exactly how it will pan out, which is why I try to stay away from saying someone will be a reach. I guess it's also why we can dream with hoping players fall to us, as I don't think any mock draft had Limas Sweed still available where we picked in round 2. In addition to player's stocks going up and down, it's really tough to get an accurate mock draft for the Steelers free agency roles around.

Last edited by THav916 : 02-05-2009 at 03:25 PM.
THav916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:18 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

SteelCzar76 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As i said before in another thread a few weeks ago, i'm not in favor of drafting any o-lineman in the first. And as such, i'll stick with the players i called for then,....

Trade up for Rey Maualuga if he were to fall into a decent range, (though i know it's not likely at all) or,.. Percy Harvin.(Hines isn't getting any younger and Nate Washington is ridiculously inconsistent IMO. And the idea of having Harvin on the field with Holmes would present a great deal of mismatches for opposing defenses)

I could also live with Victor Harris, Evander Hood, or Fili Moala at 32.

Last edited by SteelCzar76 : 02-05-2009 at 03:27 PM.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:27 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
As i said before in another thread a few weeks ago, i'm not in favor of drafting any o-lineman in the first. And as such, i'll stick with the players i called for then,....

Trade up for Rey Maualuga if he were to fall into a decent range, (though i know it's not likely at all) or,.. Percy Harvin.(Hines isn't getting any younger and Nate Washington is ridiculously inconsistent IMO. And the idea of having Harvin on the field with Holmes would present a great deal of mismatches for opposing defenses)

I could also live with Victor Harris, Evander Hood, or Fili Moala at 32.
I'd take Hood at 32... not the others.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
Let's say the board is clear and we're still at 32,....you wouldn't take Harris over an overrated O-lineman ? (With maybe the exception of Duke Robinson),.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQwDW66yCY
Old 02-06-2009, 03:10 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
Let's say the board is clear and we're still at 32,....you wouldn't take Harris over an overrated O-lineman ? (With maybe the exception of Duke Robinson),.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQwDW66yCY
sittin at 32 if it were between harris, duke.. id take harris

but if hood is there too id take him over the other two..

its still too early to tell, id like to wait til after the combine to make final assesments...

hood just seems like a steeler player to me

Old 02-06-2009, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Of those 3 I'd take Fili Moala.

Harris doesn't have first round speed, or the ability to play man coverage. He also struggled a lot with pro-schemes in senior bowl week.

Evander hood is going to be a decent DT but I'm not really a fan of him in the 3-4.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:44 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post

Harris doesn't have first round speed, or the ability to play man coverage. He also struggled a lot with pro-schemes in senior bowl week.

Evander hood is going to be a decent DT but I'm not really a fan of him in the 3-4.
hood reminds me of aaron smith... not the best physical skills but he is a great technician and always gives it everything hes got

Old 02-07-2009, 01:32 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post

I like Fili a just bit more than Hood though i'am impressed with Hood's motor and ability to hold his gaps. I give the slight edge to Fili because of his height and wingspan. He also reminds me of Kimo with a little more explosiveness.

My only concern would be whether or not he (Fili) would be less "streaky" than he was at SC ?

As far as Harris,...i'm aware of his lack of top end speed, but the kid is a "football player" and even as a rookie would be an upgrade over William G and Townsend, and a better corner than McFadden within 2 seasons. He may struggle a bit in man coverage, but he has exceptional ball skills and we run mostly zone anyway. Think young Ronde Barber, with return skills.

Last edited by SteelCzar76 : 02-07-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:45 PM    (permalink
SteelCzar76
Rookie

Quote:
sittin at 32 if it were between harris, duke.. id take harris

but if hood is there too id take him over the other two..

its still too early to tell, id like to wait til after the combine to make final assesments...

hood just seems like a steeler player to me
I'm with you there man,.in terms of waiting until after the combine to issue "final grades". I just like brainstorming so to speak,..especially considering how late in the first we're selecting.(Almost as if it's a high 2nd round pick)
Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i won't even try a mock, I don't know how you guys do it? I'm in awe of it all, I just know the players I really want to see in BlackandGold next year and they are:

Ron Brace
Macho Harris
Eric Wood

...each seem to have the toughness and nastiness to make it in this league, and would be able to help out immediately!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:04 PM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want percy, but ya that gators wr thing is kinda scary.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersfan43 View Post
I want percy, but ya that gators wr thing is kinda scary.
Percy isn't a WR.

He's a weapon.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:51 AM    (permalink
HellonEarth84
Rookie

HellonEarth84 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Steelers are set at QB, RB, WR, S, NT, TE

Team Needs: OT, OG, OC, DE, possibly LB and CB in the later rounds.

Fenuki Tupou - Run Blocking OT. Huge guy. Could be what the Steelers need for goal line situations.

Chris Baker - NT/DE - Rotational guy, could possibly start in a couple years. Experienced in the 3-4. Insurance for Hampton, and could also give the big guy some much needed time to breathe on the bench.

Cody Brown - OLB - Harrison is 30 years old. Take a shot on Brown in round 3 if he's still around, let him sit and learn for a couple years, and could eventually be a starter opposite of Woodley.