Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 03-05-2007, 12:57 PM    (permalink
NGSeiler
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NGSeiler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default TSN: Russell out, CJ in?

Quote:
DRAFT BUZZ: The Raiders returned from the NFL Scouting Combine less convinced that Louisiana State QB JaMarcus Russell is their man for the top pick and with more questions than before after taking a long look at him during the process. Publicly, the Raiders said nothing about Russell or any of the other players who attended the Combine. Privately, several Raider officials questioned Russell's work ethic, said they are concerned about his weight as a long-term issue, and cautioned against making Russell a lead-pipe cinch as the top pick. It now appears just as likely that the Raiders will target Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson in light of his posting a 4.31-second 40-yard dash and saying all the right things during an interview.
Source: Steve Corkran (Contra Costa Times) through The Sporting News
Old 03-05-2007, 01:02 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting, nothing wrong with taking the hands-down best player in the draft.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

very good news

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
RaiderLifer
Rookie

RaiderLifer hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think the one pick that no one can really complain about is CJ. Anytime you take the consensus best player in the draft you can't really be upset. IMO he is the most complete prospect to enter the draft in maybe a decade. That being said I would be happy with Quinn, CJ, Russell, AD and even Thomas so a trade down to 4 or 5 would be best case scenario for me.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:30 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderLifer View Post
I think the one pick that no one can really complain about is CJ. Anytime you take the consensus best player in the draft you can't really be upset. IMO he is the most complete prospect to enter the draft in maybe a decade. That being said I would be happy with Quinn, CJ, Russell, AD and even Thomas so a trade down to 4 or 5 would be best case scenario for me.
took the words outta my mouth

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 03-05-2007, 07:34 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

You cant complain about CJ cause hes just a physical beast.6'5 240 and runs a 4.31.theres nothing to complain about with that selection.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
bucksavage
Rookie

bucksavage hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

eh sorry thats not the case. It seems like Kiffin and Co are lighting a blue flame fire under Russell. Pete Carroll and Co were known to do this with their QBs. The Raiders just extended Curry's contract today.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

I still think they trade Moss, and will take CJ. I dont think there willing to draft a rookie QB until that line is fixed.

Would Russell get drafted by the Lions then? i sure hope its not Cleveland!
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been saying this for some time.

If I were the Oakland Raiders, I'd take Calvin first overall and have him and Ronald Curry, who I recently signed to an extension, be my #1 and #2 receivers respectively for the future. Randy Moss would be traded away, and Jerry Porter too if I can find a suitor as I'm not entirely convinced a turd can commit a legit 180 - it's time to clean house if I have to revive the offense worthy of the Silver and Black.

As for quarterback, I would then spend my 2nd round/ 33rd overall pick on either Matt Schaub in a trade to the Falcons or I draft Drew Stanton from Michigan State. Stanton is an excellent prospect who can deliver the ball anywhere on the field, including the dynamic of mobility, but didn't have enough quality coaching and teammates in his time at Michigan State like some other top-billed prospects.

Johnson is too good to pass up, even moreso than Larry Fitzgerald who I passed on for Robert Gallery three years ago, despite Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn being available. Plus if I'm going to bank on a player in terms of a 6-year contract that will pay more than 54 mil and 27 mil guaranteed, I can sleep softly at night knowing I picked CJ. (Also keep in mind that a quarterback, by virtue of mark-up characteristic to the position, would require more to sign.)
Old 03-05-2007, 09:18 PM    (permalink
slightlyaraiderfan
All-NFLDC

slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slightlyaraiderfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I've been saying this for some time.

If I were the Oakland Raiders, I'd take Calvin first overall and have him and Ronald Curry, who I recently signed to an extension, be my #1 and #2 receivers respectively for the future. Randy Moss would be traded away, and Jerry Porter too if I can find a suitor as I'm not entirely convinced a turd can commit a legit 180 - it's time to clean house if I have to revive the offense worthy of the Silver and Black.

As for quarterback, I would then spend my 2nd round/ 33rd overall pick on either Matt Schaub in a trade to the Falcons or I draft Drew Stanton from Michigan State. Stanton is an excellent prospect who can deliver the ball anywhere on the field, including the dynamic of mobility, but didn't have enough quality coaching and teammates in his time at Michigan State like some other top-billed prospects.

Johnson is too good to pass up, even moreso than Larry Fitzgerald who I passed on for Robert Gallery three years ago, despite Jamarcus Russell and Brady Quinn being available. Plus if I'm going to bank on a player in terms of a 6-year contract that will pay more than 54 mil and 27 mil guaranteed, I can sleep softly at night knowing I picked CJ. (Also keep in mind that a quarterback, by virtue of mark-up characteristic to the position, would require more to sign.)
I think i've seen you post that before, and I like it.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Romyrick
Rookie

Romyrick hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Drew Stanton is not good, and Matt Schaub would cost us I think a 1st and a 3rd.
Romyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like everything the dude said except using the 2nd to draft a QB or trade for one.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Stanton then.

To me, the Oakland Raiders are in a somewhat similar situation as the New York Jets were last year. They felt Kellen Clemens was better value/less risk at the top of the 2nd round, and chose to select a surefire talent in D'Brickashaw Ferguson at the top of the 1st round. Except in this case we're including Calvin Johnson, quite conceivably the best WR prospect yet seen, into the picture.

Though I consider Stanton to be a better prospect than Clemens, personally. He has all the tools, and pre-draft personnel are taking more of a shine to him the more they see of him. The only thing is, I wouldn't want him to see the field as a rookie, he needs at least 1 year to sit and learn under new Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin. I know playing the rookie quarterback is en vogue at the moment, but let Kiffin mold him into his quarterback, the extension of his will on the field. Maybe Stanton sees some game action in the last 4 games of the season.

Whereas if the Raiders trade for Matt Schaub, even though they would have to sign him long-term, he'd start day one and the team wouldn't have to spend money on a veteran quarterback. Recently hired offensive coordinator Greg Knapp has been grooming Schaub in Atlanta for years.

Last edited by Geo : 03-05-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:33 AM    (permalink
bucksavage
Rookie

bucksavage hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on Stanton then.

To me, the Oakland Raiders are in a somewhat similar situation as the New York Jets were last year. They felt Kellen Clemens was better value/less risk at the top of the 2nd round, and chose to select a surefire talent in D'Brickashaw Ferguson at the top of the 1st round. Except in this case we're including Calvin Johnson, quite conceivably the best WR prospect yet seen, into the picture.

Though I consider Stanton to be a better prospect than Clemens, personally. He has all the tools, and pre-draft personnel are taking more of a shine to him
the more they see of him. The only thing is, I wouldn't want him to see the field as a rookie, he needs at least 1 year to sit and learn under new Raiders head coach Lane Kiffin. I know playing the rookie quarterback is en vogue at the moment, but let Kiffin mold him into his quarterback, the extension of his will on the field. Maybe Stanton sees some game action in the last 4 games of the season.

Whereas if the Raiders trade for Matt Schaub, even though they would have to sign him long-term, he'd start day one and the team wouldn't have to spend money on a veteran quarterback. Recently hired offensive coordinator Greg Knapp has been grooming Schaub in Atlanta for years.
Huge difference between the Jets last yr and Raiders this year.
The Jets had a productive pro bowl calibar QB on their roster who had injury problems and a former 1st round pick. The jets could afford to skip over Leinart and Cutler last year and take Clemens. We only have the future San Jose Sabercats Qb on our roster. We cannot afford to take a QB in the 2nd
Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

My dream idea for both sides (cause i dont mind the raiders) would be what was outlined earlier.
#33 for Shaub

You guys get Calvin
You guys trade Moss
The bucs dont get Calvin
We fill needs
You guys get a 25 year old QB who is more proven than there suspect high round propects in this draft and is farmiliar with the NFL
You guys solidify the lines for the rest of the draft.

Then say atl goes
10 Carricker
33 Staley
42 Merriweather

You guys go
#1 CJ
#33 Matt Shaub
then O line onwards

The tender offer we have for Shaub is really a dream IMO and when an offer like #33 comes in im sure Petrino will make it happen especially with FS DE and OT being such glaring needs and the fact that we need starters

Last edited by DraftMichaelHuff : 03-06-2007 at 06:32 AM.
DraftMichaelHuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 AM    (permalink
NIN1984
Pro Bowler

NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NIN1984 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want Lane Kiffin to get his guy.

whoever that is...

Last edited by NIN1984 : 03-06-2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: .
NIN1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftMichaelHuff View Post
My dream idea for both sides (cause i dont mind the raiders) would be what was outlined earlier.
#33 for Shaub

You guys get Calvin
You guys trade Moss
The bucs dont get Calvin
We fill needs
You guys get a 25 year old QB who is more proven than there suspect high round propects in this draft and is farmiliar with the NFL
You guys solidify the lines for the rest of the draft.

Then say atl goes
10 Carricker
33 Staley
42 Merriweather

You guys go
#1 CJ
#33 Matt Shaub
then O line onwards

The tender offer we have for Shaub is really a dream IMO and when an offer like #33 comes in im sure Petrino will make it happen especially with FS DE and OT being such glaring needs and the fact that we need starters
id take that everyyear

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

I believe the Raiders still take Russell. When they brought Jeff Garcia in, Garcia said he wanted assured that they would not take a QB in the draft. Oakland wouldnt do that so Garcia signed with the Bucs. I think that basically said Oak will take Russell.

They have 1 QB on the roster. I espect them to draft a Qb and then sign a veteran.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

CJ and Matt is THE plan.

Al will find a way to get Schaub if he wants him, thats for sure.

I will have problems sleeping at night if we put are team in the hands of a guy that cant get in shape for the Combine.
Raider_fan_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
Raider_fan_Canada
Rookie

Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.Raider_fan_Canada is a cocksman.

Oh and caracter wise, I like more that option than Russell and Randy Moss.
Raider_fan_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
gbpackers0065
Pro Bowler

gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.gbpackers0065 could make a wolverine purr.

i still think AD has a cgood chance of being drafted 1st
Old 03-06-2007, 06:30 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpackers0065 View Post
i still think AD has a cgood chance of being drafted 1st
ya if jordan is gone but he wont be we picked up his bonus

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 03-06-2007, 08:09 PM    (permalink
dcsicass31birds

look a WR like him come along once in a life time....he is a freak...next years 2008 draft has a good cropp of QB's...don't worry about this year....i hope you guys get CJ...then in 2008 get either Chad Henne(Mich) or Colt Brennan(HI) start slow...your team is gonna be scary for years to come