Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

As the Green Bay Packers' defense transitions to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers, defensive end Aaron Kampman is moving to outside linebacker, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Kampman, who has registered 37 sacks in the past three seasons as a 4-3 left defensive end, seems suited to become a 3-4 outside linebacker at 6-foot-4, 265 pounds.

"When we line up the first base defense, yes, Aaron will be an outside linebacker," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Aaron Kampman knows how to rush the passer and the first responsibility for the outside linebacker position in the base personnel is to rush the passer. Aaron Kampman is going to be an excellent fit for what we're going to try to do as we move forward with this new scheme."

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Kampman has an excellent role model to learn from in outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, who played the same position or the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Carolina Panthers.

"Obviously we've got some good players on this defense so we're going to put them in position to be better," Greene said. "And we have no plans to harm anybody. We have plans to make everybody better and play at a higher level. Aaron has the skills to play the position."
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
Packers moving Kampman to outside linebacker

As the Green Bay Packers' defense transitions to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers, defensive end Aaron Kampman is moving to outside linebacker, the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports.

Kampman, who has registered 37 sacks in the past three seasons as a 4-3 left defensive end, seems suited to become a 3-4 outside linebacker at 6-foot-4, 265 pounds.

"When we line up the first base defense, yes, Aaron will be an outside linebacker," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "Aaron Kampman knows how to rush the passer and the first responsibility for the outside linebacker position in the base personnel is to rush the passer. Aaron Kampman is going to be an excellent fit for what we're going to try to do as we move forward with this new scheme."

Of course, it doesn't hurt that Kampman has an excellent role model to learn from in outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene, who played the same position or the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Carolina Panthers.

"Obviously we've got some good players on this defense so we're going to put them in position to be better," Greene said. "And we have no plans to harm anybody. We have plans to make everybody better and play at a higher level. Aaron has the skills to play the position."
I didn't know the Packers hired Greene. He's been in Steelers camp the last few seasons working with our OLBs.
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doesn't surprise me, it's the only place he would fit in a 3-4.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see Mike Vrabel-like things in his future.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We all know he can rush the passer, that's not really the question mark here....
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
We all know he can rush the passer, that's not really the question mark here....
Like what happens when he is needed to cover? I'm sure Kampman can play there, but I qill question his effectiveness in coverage. Those coverage responsibilities are tough for a De to learn, even if they are physically capable of doing it. I'm sure Kampman will do fine as a pass rusher, but thats not the only thing OLBs do in a 3-4, though it is a major part of their responsibilities.

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:25 PM    (permalink
Menardo75
All-Pro

Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Menardo75 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's probably the only place he can play in that defense so good move.
Menardo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:35 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesalltheway View Post
Like what happens when he is needed to cover? I'm sure Kampman can play there, but I qill question his effectiveness in coverage. Those coverage responsibilities are tough for a De to learn, even if they are physically capable of doing it. I'm sure Kampman will do fine as a pass rusher, but thats not the only thing OLBs do in a 3-4, though it is a major part of their responsibilities.
I'm not too worried. Kampman has always been terrific against the run (these last three years his pass-rushing has really come around, but before that he was our elite run stuffer) and has underrated athleticism. Plus he has a superb motor and work ethic, so I really don't see him having trouble. They'll probably keep him almost exclusively as a pass and run rusher and his coverage will be limited to shallow zones or check-down coverage.

Nick Barnett and AJ Hawk are both very speedy guys at ILB so they can take care of difficult TE assignments and such.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is there any particular reason why is this is in the NFL forum and not in the Packers team forum?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:45 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Grinch Unit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:22 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Is there any particular reason why is this is in the NFL forum and not in the Packers team forum?
We talked about it so much in our team forum the last month or so that it was only a matter of time before this spiller over. ;)

I'm curious as to how he's gonna do.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:28 PM    (permalink
tony77

Kampman certainly is not a 3-4 DE, so the move to OLB makes sense. I think he is a good enough athlete and Kevin Greene was likely brought in to really help Kampman make the transition. I think he can be successful.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Hawk
Pro Bowler

Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I see Mike Vrabel-like things in his future.
Touchdown catches in the Super Bowl?? I wish I was as optimistic as you.

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:04 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't know Kevin Greene was coaching the linebackers out there. That's awesome.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:08 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
If this thread was posted in the Packers forum it would be locked or merged. We've known this for a while and have been talking about it for even longer.

Anyways. I have my doubts on if it will be worth it too because he was such a good 3-4 DE, but his ability to handle the responsibilities of a linebacker shouldn't be a big issue. He was a LB all of high school and his first two years at Iowa. He started 11 games at middle linebacker as a sophomore and had 103 tackles.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
no love
Veteran

no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.no love is a cocksman.

I personally don't get the need for the move. Their best defensive players, both Hawk and Barnett seem ill fitted to play ILB in the 3-4.
no love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:47 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
I personally don't get the need for the move. Their best defensive players, both Hawk and Barnett seem ill fitted to play ILB in the 3-4.
I think those guys are a great fit actually.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no love View Post
best defensive players in order:

Aaron Kampman
Charles Woodson
Nick Barnett
Nick Collins
Cullen Jenkins
Al Harris
AJ Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
I don't really agree, but we'll find out.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:55 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Care to explain why?
Old 02-04-2009, 10:58 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post

Aaron Kampman
Charles Woodson
Nick Barnett
Nick Collins
Cullen Jenkins
Al Harris
AJ Hawk
You forgot Jarrett Bush!?

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post

Aaron Kampman
Charles Woodson
Nick Barnett
Nick Collins
Cullen Jenkins
Al Harris
AJ Hawk

I don't really agree, but we'll find out.
Jenkins>Collins. I guess the only reason you my have to Kampman being over Woodson is because without him our secondary would strangle even more.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetSox17 View Post
Care to explain why?
Well for starter's I think Barnett could basically fit into any LB system, he's aggressive and instinctive. The 3-4 gives the ILBs a whole lot of freedom by virtue of 3 space eaters in front of them instead of the usual 2, and Barnett's playing style is very much search and destroy.

AJ Hawk is flat out not playing up to his potential, even though he's an effective LB. As a 3-4 ILB he'll have less responsibility and can focus on cracking people for a while. ultimately it's a gut feeling based on how I've seen them play, and there's always an adjustment period, but personally I think if the Packers blow this transition, it won't be due to Barnett and Hawk.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well for starter's I think Barnett could basically fit into any LB system, he's aggressive and instinctive. The 3-4 gives the ILBs a whole lot of freedom by virtue of 3 space eaters in front of them instead of the usual 2, and Barnett's playing style is very much search and destroy.

AJ Hawk is flat out not playing up to his potential, even though he's an effective LB. As a 3-4 ILB he'll have less responsibility and can focus on cracking people for a while. ultimately it's a gut feeling based on how I've seen them play, and there's always an adjustment period, but personally I think if the Packers blow this transition, it won't be due to Barnett and Hawk.
I love Barnett's aggressive style but he can hardly get off blockers. I find it hard to believe if a linemen or fullback will be in front of him that he can get off. Every Packer fan has been saying this for years, Barnett best fit is the 43 SAM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure why this is a thread. Where else would Kampman play in a 3-4?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:30 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerbacker View Post
Not sure why this is a thread. Where else would Kampman play in a 3-4?
at DE he could command a quadruple team!