Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 05-27-2009, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Personally I would have waited for Greg Ellis. Lenon can't play outside and I don't think he's a huge upgrade over a combo of Bruschi/Guyton. He racked up tackles last year on a bad team so I guess he's a decent pickup. This kind of reminds me of the Monty Beisel signing - someone who doesn't really fit great in the defense. He's coming from a fast, attack kind of defense. Also not really a fan of stealing players from an 0-16 team.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:26 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lenon's an solid possibility at ILB. Doesn't mean crap in regard to what else they might do with the Burgess/Ellis possibilities. Lenon really didn't fit in Detroit. Could be a good backup for the Patriots.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lenon is nothing spectacluar but we definitely needed another body inside. I still want us to look at an outside guy like Ellis/Burgess though.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Lenon is nothing spectacluar but we definitely needed another body inside. I still want us to look at an outside guy like Ellis/Burgess though.
I agree completely. I wouldn't trade much for either of those guys but I would also like to see them on the team. Either should be good for 6-7 sacks. Hopefully this year is the year Adalius Thomas plays a full season though, because he's had some bad luck the past two seasons. First Belichick played him out of place at inside linebacker (where he was only okay) and only switched him after an injury to Rosevelt Colvin, then he got hurt. One thing to keep in mind - in his last 16 starts at outside linebacker (including playoffs), Thomas has 10.5 sacks and three forced fumbles.

This year, the pass rush might be on Belichick though. In 2007, Mike Vrabel got a lot of sacks just due to the scheme - the way plays went down, he'd have a clear path to the quarterback on a lot of his sacks, it was just a case of him running up and making the tackle without having to fight through any blocks. If Adalius Thomas looks dangerous at the beginning of the season, I think that'd be a big opening for whoever's starting on the other side to pick up some sacks. Whether that's Banta-Cain or Crable or Woods or someone else remains to be seen.

Something else I should mention is that I was pretty disappointed that Jerod Mayo's speed wasn't really utilized on blitzes last year. He's not exactly a stud in pass coverage, either, so I don't see why he'd have to keep dropping back when he could potentially pick up some sacks from the inside, which would also add another dimension to the blitz. If you're going to take someone in the top 10 at linebacker for a 3-4 defense, I think you'd like to see them pick up some sacks as well. So far he's been one of the better players on the defense, but he doesn't make a ton of big plays. I don't think he recorded a sack or an interception all season.

Also, just a note on Lenon - he's got a one year, $800,000 contract ($750,000 base, $50,000 bonus.) Not a bad deal for New England.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Mayo will have to used more as a blitzer next year simply because I don't think there will be enough of a push on the outside. As far as him making big plays I think he only had one fumble recovery last year but he has said that he didn't have a full grasp of the defense and got by a lot last year on speed and athletic ability. With a full offseason under his belt I expect a lot more dynamic plays from him. Another way I see more pressure on the QB is if the Pats do go to a 3 safety look like was talked about in another thread Merriweather is a good blitzer. A casing point would be the play against Seattle when he sacked Wallace and forced a fumble which closed out the game

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
I think Mayo will have to used more as a blitzer next year simply because I don't think there will be enough of a push on the outside. As far as him making big plays I think he only had one fumble recovery last year but he has said that he didn't have a full grasp of the defense and got by a lot last year on speed and athletic ability. With a full offseason under his belt I expect a lot more dynamic plays from him. Another way I see more pressure on the QB is if the Pats do go to a 3 safety look like was talked about in another thread Merriweather is a good blitzer. A casing point would be the play against Seattle when he sacked Wallace and forced a fumble which closed out the game
I really want us to use some 3 safety sets as well. Chung was a very good blitzer in college, I hope that translates to the NFL because that would add a nice dimension to our defense. As far as Mayo is concerned, he had a great rookie year last year but didn't make many big plays and we know that. He is a guy who can make plays in coverage and as a blitzer and I think with a year experience under his belt he will be much better.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:31 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayo did some blitzing last year, but I agree it would be nice to see more from him. I recall a few sacks where Mayo was the guy occupying a blocker or running a game that lead to a free blitzer getting the sack.

With the relative weakness of our pass rush all around I think teams had the D-line as a priority and then Mayo. I certainly won't claim I can confirm that at all, but there was no other player that would scare you as a D-coordinator so I think that is a reasonable assumption.

100 solo tackles and 128 total w/zero sacks and 1 FF & recovery . . . lots of room for improvement from our DROY. :D

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

I'd like to see something around 100 tackles, 4 sacks, and 2 INTs from Mayo. I think that would be pretty ideal. Seems like a big improvement.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yea i agree i would like to see more big plays from him. I really dont care if he gets patrick willis like tackle numbers because i really think tackles are an overrated statistic. For a guy with his athletic ability id love to see more sacks and forced fumbles in particular. Im not really worried about interceptions because i feel there will be a lot of nickel and dime situations and i would prefer mayo up near the line of scrimmage wreaking havoc and letting the cover men make plays

Old 06-02-2009, 03:55 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Greg Ellis was released by the Cowboys, I would like to see us make a move on him. He is older but we need to add a body at OLB.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:13 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Greg Ellis was released by the Cowboys, I would like to see us make a move on him. He is older but we need to add a body at OLB.
Beat me to it

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:44 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed. His age is not a big concern since he will (hopefully) only be a stop gap for a year or two. Plus it is the BB way - pick up the old vet off the trash heap.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ellis would be an awesome pick-up for you guys. I'm hoping the 9ers grab him, but really, he makes a ton of sense for NE.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:07 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ellis would be nice, but I expect him to land with either Miami or New Orleans.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:24 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

New Orleans is an interesting option but I really dont think Miami is an option. Firstly I dont think Ellis and Tuna left on the best of terms after originally switching him to OLB plus Miami also brought back Taylor and got Cameron Wake. That probably would mean Porter and Roth would start with Taylor and Wake as pass push specialists. Im not sure they would want or need another one

Old 06-03-2009, 07:23 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ellis would be a solid pick-up but for some reason I don't see it happening.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pats signed former Raiders QB Andrew Walters

Old 08-04-2009, 06:58 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Pats signed former Raiders QB Andrew Walters
Yeah I saw that. He is talented with a lot of size and a big arm, but he struggled with the Raiders. He didn't have much to work with and was kind of thrown into the fire, he could be a nice project. He has potential and had a solid college career.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:42 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Yea, I don't care what he did with the Raiders. The Raiders made even Moss look human.
I think he could turn out nicely and become a solid backup

Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Yea as a whole I would feel a lot better now with Walter as the #2 over O'Connell just because he has starting experience, although I do think O'Connell will be good in the future. But Walter does throw a nice ball and from what Ive heard he and Moss have a pretty good relationship as well

Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

It's a good signing, that's for sure. He has experience and anyone who played for the Raiders has to have a lot of heart. lol

Nothing about Oakland says "development" so I'd say the guy probably still has plenty of potential. Given the right environment he could be a great backup.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Walter's really good and was hosed by the Raiders. Would have been the #1 pick over Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers had he not been injured in college. In the Pats' system, he'll have a chance to get back his confidence and show what he's capable of doing. Pretty excited for this one.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Jeff Garcia was cut by the Raiders, that could be a great option for us.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Garcia's a horrible fit for the Pats.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

We need a backup QB and yes scheme wise NE isn't what he is best suited for but if Brady goes down he is the type of guy we want coming on the field. He is a winner and I don't want to see Hoyer at the reigns.