Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 09-06-2009, 11:25 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CONGRATULATIONS PATRIOTS ... on fleecing the Oakland Raiders! Wow! a 1st rd pick in 2011 for Richard Seymour. You must want to keep Wilfork (smart choice) but imho the NFL needs to step in and run that poor Oakland franchise. This is coming from a Lion's fan ;o)
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Bigburt63
Veteran

Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bigburt63 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, we'll have to wait and see how the trade turns out before we can declare it a fleecing. Seymour will be missed however.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:06 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the first pick in the 2011 NFL the New England Patriots select Julio Jones

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
With the first pick in the 2011 NFL the New England Patriots select Julio Jones
oooOOOOOOooooo... I wouldn't mind that.

K. Simmons signs with the Pats.
He's an OG. Adds some depth. I always like that.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ndall-simmons/

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:34 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pats were missing their token black offensive lineman after cutting Billy.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:48 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Browns released Leon Williams. I would welcome his addition with open arms with the state of our linebacking corps, he could be a nice option to rotate inside with Guyton alongside Mayo (when he's back).
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Leon Williams. He'd fit pretty well, and he knows the system.

I'd take Derrick Brooks too.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumours in Detroit that the Lions should trade Calvin Johnson. Nothing concrete yet but by the sounds of it a lot of Lions fans are open to it. If BB wanted to go after him what would he be worth, remembering if any team has the ammunition its probably the Pats.

I said this year's 1st, Oakland's 1st next year and a 4th this year.

Thoughts???

Old 12-16-2009, 03:01 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Rumours in Detroit that the Lions should trade Calvin Johnson. Nothing concrete yet but by the sounds of it a lot of Lions fans are open to it. If BB wanted to go after him what would he be worth, remembering if any team has the ammunition its probably the Pats.

I said this year's 1st, Oakland's 1st next year and a 4th this year.

Thoughts???
I wouldn't offer more than an early second or MAYBE our late first, and there's no way in hell I'd give up two first round picks. Calvin Johnson impresses everyone with his size, speed, and highlights, but overall he's not one of the best 15 or 20 receivers in the league if you ask me. His metrics have been terrible since he came into the league. He dropped I believe 9 passes last year (maybe more), equal to Terrell Owens, and to this point has dropped 8 passes in 2009. The percent of passes he's caught has been very low all of the seasons - 52% each of his first two years. This year, it's 47.2%, which makes him one of the bottom 10 or so receivers in the league in terms of catch percentage. For reference, Welker is at 77%, Moss is at 58%.

This team doesn't need more offense - maybe better playcalling. The defense has been the problem for YEARS and it hasn't been addressed at all, aside from the failed Thomas signing.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:32 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as I'd love to see CJ in a Pats' uniform, I think our needs at LB & Oline are too important to trade top picks in exchange for a WR.

I'm not overly concerned with Moss right now and would still like to see Tate have a full OTA, mini-camp and camp session heading into the 2010 season. Moss has always seemed like a rhythm based player to me and I expect him to pick it up as the team around him picks up momentum.

I'd rather keep those picks right now and be able to shore up the OL and LBs over the next few years. We will also have the opportunity to draft a WR with some of those picks, too and add him to the fold heading into the 11-12 seasons when we will certainly need help at the position.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 12-16-2009 at 03:37 PM.
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree that Calvin hasn't done much in Detoit, but he is in a terrible situation there. We have a lot of needs so I highly doubt we wouldever make a play on him, but he would be great here.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd give up a late 1st for CJ... but nothing else though

Old 12-16-2009, 09:55 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would give up both first rounders for Johnson and some picks in between. I think he's that kind of talent. But the Lions would be foolish to do it. Just as well, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Jonathan Baldwin, or DeAndre Brown is fine too.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

He is that kind of talent but we have too many holes to fill to go all Saints/Ricky Williams for him

Old 12-16-2009, 09:58 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eh, it's not like we're going to actually DRAFT anybody with those picks. That would be silly.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Eh, it's not like we're going to actually DRAFT anybody with those picks. That would be silly.
+rep for that.

Seriously though, Calvin Johnson is big and fast. His production on the field is mediocre and he doesn't have excellent hands. He gets injured a lot. Trading two first round picks for someone because of size and speed is something Al Davis would do. I'm not ready for Bill Belichick to get old and senile, dammit!
Old 12-16-2009, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

I'd rather have Jerry Hughes OLB, B. Spikes, Wooten DE and E. Decker WR then just Megatron.
I think Megatron is the most talented WR in the league but with our holes and his injury problem this year- it's a bit scary

Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

I disagree that he doesn't have good hands. He has fantastic hands. He's been as productive as he could possibly be in Detroit too. He had a thousand yard, 13 touchdown season with a lethal combination of burned out Daunte Culpepper, Dan Orlovsky, Jon Kitna, Drew Stanton, and Drew Henson all throwing passes to him last year. That in itself is impressive as hell. I just think he's the most special wide receiver in terms of talent to come along since Randy Moss. What would be better than pairing him with Randy Moss? It's not happening though, I realize this. It would be slightly dumb to neglect our other needs as well.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-17-2009, 03:45 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

Ok hypothetically speaking here. There is a 1st and 3 2nds this year and 2 1sts and a 2nd next year, plus free agency. Say for example the Patriots trade even two 1sts that is still 5 1st or 2nd round picks. Now if we got say Shawne Merriman in free agency and drafted Brandon Spikes, Jahvid Best and Vince Oghabaase in the 2nd this year. Then in next years draft with the extra 1st a premium pass rusher is added plus we get Calvin I think would be awesome.

Do the Pats have holes? Definitely. But they are being blown out of proportion by the media.

Plus as ElectricEye said earlier it's not as though BB is planning on using all the picks on needs this year.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:26 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Location: What do you do when a doo-doo chump punk points a finger like a stump?
FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ok hypothetically speaking here. There is a 1st and 3 2nds this year and 2 1sts and a 2nd next year, plus free agency. Say for example the Patriots trade even two 1sts that is still 5 1st or 2nd round picks. Now if we got say Shawne Merriman in free agency and drafted Brandon Spikes, Jahvid Best and Vince Oghabaase in the 2nd this year. Then in next years draft with the extra 1st a premium pass rusher is added plus we get Calvin I think would be awesome.

Do the Pats have holes? Definitely. But they are being blown out of proportion by the media.

Plus as ElectricEye said earlier it's not as though BB is planning on using all the picks on needs this year.
and +rep for that . . . I hadn't really thought about the total number of top picks over the next two years. But I still think we need to go OLB (pass rush) with a 1st rounder to ensure we're getting top talent there. And please stop saying Merriman in FA, it makes me throw up in my mouth a little every time.

I agree that CJs hands are not a concern. Even based on the metrics figures ROP posted he's not far off of Randy's number - 52% vs. 58% - that's fine by me.

Last edited by FlyingElvis : 12-17-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It's silly to think they would trade him though. They're pretty big on the Stafford/Megatron thing. But if a talent like that goes on the market entering his prime and you have a need at that particular position, you pay whatever you have to.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-17-2009, 12:59 PM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

Rumor mill stuff is fun!!

I think Detroit would be crazy to ship him off and severely impair the development of Stafford. But a good enough offer should never be ignored, either. If a team is willing to part with 2 first round picks and then some it's at least worth considering.

Just think about the impact Moss had here for Brady. Or Culpepper, for that matter. Freak talent like his comes around only so often. Hell, there's really only 5 guys in that top tier at WR, imo. Moss, Fitz, Wayne, Johnson & Johnson. Marshall might be there soon.

IDK, with that typed out and ACDs post about the 7 picks in rounds 1 & 2 we have over the next 2 drafts I'm warming up to a hefty price in picks. The problem is simply his price tag. No way NE pays what he will command when his contract is up so why give up all those picks for one or two seasons?

Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

I am pretty confident that we will use ou picks this year, we have to. If we don't then I won't know what to say. If we trade a pick for an actual player not a future pick I'd be OK with that given what we give up and get, but if we trade for a future pick again I'm going to ******* lose it.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

You have the question just what we're waiting for. I agree with that. If we don't use these picks, you gotta question just what the people up stairs have in mind for the team. Who know's? Maybe we're waiting to exploit the rookie cap system in a few years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 12-18-2009, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

We might be waiting for Brady's kid.